Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Hanging Rock show cancelled
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 8, 2014 00:47

Irix
CaptainCorella

Eh?

WWW was not invented until 1991/2. The Internet was around, and had been around for some time, but mainly based in Universities (& military).

The first proposal of the Hypertext based WWW has been made in March 1989: [en.wikipedia.org] . The origins of the Internet date back in the 1960s.

That's right - I have Sir Tim's book, which I prefer to refer to over Wiki!

I was questioning another poster's observation that WWW "arrived" in 1989! Personally I was using the Internet in the mid-Late 1980's.

Posted by: blackbird ()
Date: November 8, 2014 00:53

Hej Mick,
get well again and take your time for that.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 8, 2014 00:54

DandelionPowderman
From Keith (Facebook):

Gotta Move On.....................nice carefully thought out photograph........
It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (but What Can A Poor Boy Do When The Leadsinger Can't Perform.....)
Shame for the fans who had tickets. Glad this never happend to me.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 8, 2014 00:55

CaptainCorella

I was questioning another poster's observation that WWW "arrived" in 1989! Personally I was using the Internet in the mid-Late 1980's.

OK - now I had seen the "arrival" in the relevant post .... smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 8, 2014 01:08

Irix
CaptainCorella

Eh?

WWW was not invented until 1991/2. The Internet was around, and had been around for some time, but mainly based in Universities (& military).

The first proposal of the Hypertext based WWW has been made in March 1989: [en.wikipedia.org] . The origins of the Internet date back in the 1960s.

You guys are both correct. The internet and the World Wide Web are not the same thing, although the words are often misused synonymously.

The US invented internet had been around for a while but the use of HTTP as a way to access and exchange information was developed and implemented in the early 90's. This use of HTTP, URL's HTML is referred to as the World Wide Web and is one of several ways information is accessed and shared on the internet. peace

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 8, 2014 01:22

Hi Mick, take a Nag Champa and HP and you will be alrightsmileys with beer

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: November 8, 2014 01:44

mtaylor
Hi Mick, take a Nag Champa and HP and you will be alrightsmileys with beer

Ingesting incense is not advisable, no matter how desperate things get.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: November 8, 2014 02:55

treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII
I wonder what the Stones' prior commitments are at the end of November.

I also wonder why they box themselves into a corner to the point where they cannot reschedule a single concert.

You'd figure that they would give themselves a little window of time for such situations (especially considering their ages) .

Good points...they should allow themselves a bit more wiggle room.

I think it is time for people to accept that it is exactly for these reasons the Stones DON'T re-schedule at this stage. The lead singer is 71 years old, acting as if he's 21 or 31. Things like throat infections are going to happen to a 71 year old man. Moreover, the drummer is 74. He just might feel like screw it, I'm not doing this any longer than I have to, especially at this time of year. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the band's reasoning is well, they're going to be refunded the ticket price and people who booked flights should have purchased flight insurance, especially for a flight to Australia from anywhere.

These are the realities of a band whose average age is 71 years of age.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 8, 2014 03:28

Long John Stoner
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII

I also wonder why they box themselves into a corner to the point where they cannot reschedule a single concert.

You'd figure that they would give themselves a little window of time for such situations (especially considering their ages) .

I think it is time for people to accept that it is exactly for these reasons the Stones DON'T re-schedule at this stage. The lead singer is 71 years old, acting as if he's 21 or 31. Things like throat infections are going to happen to a 71 year old man. Moreover, the drummer is 74. He just might feel like screw it, I'm not doing this any longer than I have to, especially at this time of year. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the band's reasoning is well, they're going to be refunded the ticket price and people who booked flights should have purchased flight insurance, especially for a flight to Australia from anywhere.

I heard the exact same thing about their age when they were in their 40's..........

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 8, 2014 04:16

Long John Stoner
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII

You haven't mentioned the millions of dollars local business loses due to this.
That is the biggest disappointment for me!
Id like to see you explaining your above view to the locals...im sure it would go down well !!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 04:21 by Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: November 8, 2014 04:45

This is a terrible situation. I know people have been relating their own experience of having a concert cancelled. This scenario is a bit different. These poor fans have had the same show cancelled twice!
Fans were very understanding when Mick pulled out of the tour in March. Many people lost money ie flights, accommodation etc, only a small percentage wanted a refund, they were prepared to wait 6 months to see the Stones and wear any financial loss so they could see the band (probably for the last time in Australia).

Then to have the show cancelled again with no reschedule is not good enough. Fans were very sympathetic to Mick with the tragedy he endured earlier this year. I think the Stones owe these fans. A concert should be rescheduled after Auckland even if the Stones have to dig into their own (deep) pockets to pull it off.

My heart goes out to the fans I know how elated my wife and I were to walk into Adelaide oval after waiting months, it's not good enough for Keith to write "shit happens on to Sydney". These fans deserved better whatever the logistical problems rescheduling would have presented!

Date: November 8, 2014 05:02

More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII

I heard the exact same thing about their age when they were in their 40's..........

Multiple that by 30 more years of living and it becomes that much more of a reality, doesn't it?

Date: November 8, 2014 05:04

mikesnaps
This is a terrible situation. I know people have been relating their own experience of having a concert cancelled. This scenario is a bit different. These poor fans have had the same show cancelled twice!
Fans were very understanding when Mick pulled out of the tour in March. Many people lost money ie flights, accommodation etc, only a small percentage wanted a refund, they were prepared to wait 6 months to see the Stones and wear any financial loss so they could see the band (probably for the last time in Australia).

Then to have the show cancelled again with no reschedule is not good enough. Fans were very sympathetic to Mick with the tragedy he endured earlier this year. I think the Stones owe these fans. A concert should be rescheduled after Auckland even if the Stones have to dig into their own (deep) pockets to pull it off.

My heart goes out to the fans I know how elated my wife and I were to walk into Adelaide oval after waiting months, it's not good enough for Keith to write "shit happens on to Sydney". These fans deserved better whatever the logistical problems rescheduling would have presented!

Oh please. The Stones don't owe anybody. Some of you really need to separate yourselves from your Stones jones and observe real life.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2014 05:22

well, very sad.

but, it's no Hanging matter.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 8, 2014 06:15

Long John Stoner
mikesnaps

Oh please. The Stones don't owe anybody. Some of you really need to separate yourselves from your Stones jones and observe real life.

Maybe not but it would have been a lot more classy to take a deep breath and say, "ok, take 3" than "Keef's" glib BS missive........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 06:15 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Vandefruits ()
Date: November 8, 2014 06:18

It's a Capitol Crime !!!

:-)

(In response to Treaclefingers comment above: It's no Hanging matter!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 06:23 by Vandefruits.

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: November 8, 2014 06:59

I am very sad to hear about the current situation.
Hopefully, some compromise will be offered.
I must say above all, we are still witness to an incredible history in the making; strongly agree with a previous comment describing how the energy of Mick & Keith is amazing in 2014.
Truly inspiring.
Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band In The World!
smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2014 09:02

Vandefruits
It's a Capitol Crime !!!

thumbs up

Date: November 8, 2014 09:05

Long John Stoner
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII

Those reasons ?? What reasons ?? The only 2 I have heard of are "prior commitments" and the "screw it" theory.

Age is not a valid reason if they still continue to perform later this month. If they wanted to have a concert at their ages on November 8th,2014 ( as well as the 12th,15th,18th,and 22nd ) .... then they probably would also be well able to have a concert on November 29th,2014 as an example.

The throat infection has nothing to do with rescheduling or not rescheduling the show 3 weeks down the road. Obviously,he is expected to recover well before the later part of November. Otherwise,the remaining dates of the tour would also be cancelled.

I suspect money is a large factor in the decision. Maybe they don't want to pay the cost to haul the stage from Australia to New Zealand and then back to Australia again . ??

All I was trying to say is that because of the realities of a band whose average age is 71 , such as increased chances of not being able to follow through with scheduled concert dates , it might have been a good idea not to make "prior commitments" immediately following the last scheduled tour date.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 8, 2014 09:37

Anyone that can afford the extravagance of jet setting to follow a band can afford the loss. The Stones can't really be responsible for this extraordinary fanaticism, Their decision starts with their accountants and it's likely they'd need re-rent gear, vehicles and people to add a date. Also if they need to cancel another show this will mount up and they'll have set a precedent. The band has acted in good faith with this rescheduled tour anyone who thinks otherwise expects the impractical.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 8, 2014 09:43

... The fact that the Stones don't spell it all out only means one thing:
We don't know the nature of the obstacle to rescheduling.
It could be family issues. It could be crucial backline/backup people. It could be all kinds of things.

Judging people harshly when we don't know the facts is such a small-hearted thing to do.
How about we all go forth and make the world a more beautiful place instead?

I'm sorry for everyone who's disappointed. Mick, be well as soon as you can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 09:46 by with sssoul.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 8, 2014 09:48

with sssoul
... The fact that the Stones don't spell it all out only means one thing:
We don't know the nature of the obstacle to rescheduling.
It could be family issues. It could be crucial backline/backup people. It could be all kinds of things.

Judging people harshly when we don't know the facts is such a small-hearted thing to do.
How about we all go forth and make the world a more beautiful place instead?

I'm sorry for everyone who's disappointed. Mick, be well as soon as you can.

thumbs up +1

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: November 8, 2014 10:05

Sorry to everyone all around. Mick, The fans, the band and of course Melbourne itself.

If Mick can't sing then the Stones can't play.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: November 8, 2014 10:28

Not why the Stones couldn't postpone Auckland 1 week to end November and play Hanging Rock after Brisbane....just thinking!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 8, 2014 10:29

DoomandGloom
Anyone that can afford the extravagance of jet setting to follow a band can afford the loss. The Stones can't really be responsible for this extraordinary fanaticism, Their decision starts with their accountants and it's likely they'd need re-rent gear, vehicles and people to add a date. Areschedule they needit'sto cancel another show this will mount up and they'll have set a precedent. The band has acted in good faith with this rescheduled tour anyone who thinks otherwise expects the impractical.

Mr Doom you imply that people who travel to see a band they have followed for many years are so loaded that they can easily take the hit. I accept that following any band to the other side of the world is a risk, but many fans make lots of sacrifices to do it...I accept that there may be reasons that they can't reschedule , but it's a real kick in the teeth to people here in Melbourne.

BTW I'm sat in a hotel room with one eye on the TV with ENG vs NZ rugby and the other on the Stones hotel across the road. I don't feel like a f**king jet setter.

sc uk

Posted by: radkovskii85 ()
Date: November 8, 2014 10:56

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 8, 2014 11:56

treaclefingers
Vandefruits
It's a Capitol Crime !!!

thumbs up

Oh... get a room, you two!!

winking smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 8, 2014 12:57

I had late breakfast as usual Friday morning, still on Perth time for some reason, waking up late. When I logged into my PC I had an e-mail I just could not understand immediately:

Cancelled Show: Rolling Stones in Mt Macedon at Hanging Rock on Nov 8th

I just could not accept it. I was so ready for Hanging Rock. I have been thinking about Hanging Rock for a year or so now! I was in Australia in March, and I am back here now. But I have to face the facts. The dry voice Mick had on Wednesday at Rod Laver Arena was not just one of those days he would recover, it was one of those days where it will all get worse.

To all those who say "Why can't Mick just go on stage and sing?" ... Well break a leg and run a marathon. That's how easy it is. When your voice is gone it is gone. I have had may be 20 cancelled Stones shows over the years, probably more. When Mick lost his voice in Nuremberg 1998 he could not sing at all. Same with many other shows. If your voice don't work then you can't sing.

So I went over to meet up with friends on tour, what should we do? Well there is nothing else to do than going to Sydney and crossing your fingers! Meanwhile, I am still in Melbourne, the weather is great, all the ladies are still dressing up nicely with hats, high heals, so I stay on my schedule and decide to be in Melbourne until my scheduled departure on Sunday. A quick side trip to the Stones hotel and I see the camera people are there to catch Mick and is illness on film...

My favorite beer in Australia is Carton Draught. Sure I have had my VB at times, and sure I felt the pressure of having a few Coopers Pale Ale in Adelaide, but here in Victoria I have been highly dedicated to Carlton Draught. So when I got the news about the cancellation of hanging Rock,. I took my bike and went over to Abbotsford here in Melbourne. This is my way to the brewery, with a Stones touch of course:

First you start downtown. You follow Yarra River. First a side trip to see the Corner Hotel once more. Where Mick Jagger did his 1988 solo club show in Richmond Melbourne. Then back by the river, a bit further up, another side trip to the Kooyong Tennis Courts. When I saw the Stones at Rod Laver Arena on Wednesday I talked to a lady i.e. a girl next to me and she told me how great they were at that show in 1973 so I just had to get back there just to feel the venue once more. Oh so much I would have liked to be there and see them in 1973, but I was too young to travel and I saw them at Scandinavium Gothenburg the same year anyway... Then biking some more up the river, you smell the beer in the air, it is all over, you know you are in ... Abbotsford ... The Carlton Brewery!

I was running late. I am arriving five past two. But there is only one more for the brewery tour, so they bring me into it. I see the same tour I saw in 2003. The VB bottles are flying by at a rate of 120 per minute, that is 20 bottles per second. We are told about the brewing process, then we are on to the best part of the tour - tasting fresh beer.

Normally we get to taste 6 they say, but as we are only two people on the tour, we get a lot more, in fact we taste every single brand, every single tap. Then at the end we get an extra glass of our favorite...

Then on Hanging Rock show day Saturday I don't know what to do... I have a bike so I could bike down to St Kilda one more time. But Hanging Rock is still in my mind. I book a train ride to Woodend Station on the 10:36 train and I am on my way to Hanging Rock.

The Woodend Station is showing a sign saying "Rolling Stones concert at Hanging Rock cancelled due to illness". Ok I do know that. But I did not expect such a desserted place still. Totally empty. No signs of a show with an expected crowd of 20,000 anywhere. It is all taken down and away. Where is the party?

I pass by Holgate Brewhouse in Woodend city, a minute or three from the train station. Many guests do have Stones shirts, also a few "14 On Fire", so I suppose they went to Rod Laver Arena. A sign outside says:

LIVE MUSIC SUNDAY Jaggers Banquet (Rolling Stones Tribute Band)

I take my bike the 7 km or so to Hanging Rock. Again nothing is around. Some cars come by and they are told the show is off. I bike around, take some pictures, climb the hanging rock, it is impressing but it is not that high. May be 10-15 minutes up if you are fit. I see the stage down there and I feel sad because I could not experience The Rolling Stones at this unique place, with these impressing rock formations as a backdrop.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 13:04 by bv.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 8, 2014 13:19

I've also been in and around Melbourne today with lots of Carlton draft as compensation . On to Sydney in the morning with fingers crossed for Wednesday !

Our 9 days in Melbourne have been fantastic - great city.
sc uk

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: November 8, 2014 13:21

Long John Stoner
mikesnaps

Rubbish Long john. This is real life for some people who have lost thousands of $ investing in getting to this concert. The Stones may not owe anybody in your world view but thankfully I don't think that way, I'm sure the 20,000 people who been given a raw deal think real life has dealt them a bum hand.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home