Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

British singers with American accents
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 20, 2014 01:15

Re: British singers with American accents
Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 05:05

I know its true the Stones in particular were totally influenced by American blues musicians mostly black. Especially in their earliest years. I still have found it funny though how an obvious Englishman like Mick would sound more like Muddy Waters than he did on some nights and even on some of their most celebrated hits. Mick your not black ok.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 20, 2014 06:35

but if you read the article, it also states that it is easier and more 'natural' to sing in the more neutral American accent.

So while they may have been aping their heroes, in the end it sounds more natural...at least that's the articles POV.

Date: November 20, 2014 08:58

When Micks sings "purdy", he is aping. However, I read a research report years ago, saying that the american accent was the most natural to turn to, musically.

When Bill sings, you'll hear how it could have been smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 09:12

Conversely why does Billie Joe from Greenday sound British?!! Also, almost all country singers sing with a southern accent, even ones from here in Canada!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 09:23

George Harrison said Liverpudlians felt an affinity for Americans merely because they both pronounced some words—like "grass"—similarly compared to Liverpool versus London.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 20, 2014 10:01

One thing that has strucked me is that places mentioned in Stones-written songs mostly are American places, cities and so on. Very few are English, though. At least in comparision with American ones.
Seems a litte bit strange to me. Or is it all about to please the American market?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2014 10:24

One thing that has strucked me is that places mentioned in Stones-written songs mostly are American places

I met a gin-soaked bar-room queen in Sedlescombe .....

If I ever get back ta Upton Upon Severn gonna make ya screem all night ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 20, 2014 15:25

Rockman
One thing that has strucked me is that places mentioned in Stones-written songs mostly are American places

I met a gin-soaked bar-room queen in Sedlescombe .....

If I ever get back ta Upton Upon Severn gonna make ya screem all night ....

>grinning smiley< smileys with beer

...On thàt particular topic: that depends on the era, I reckon -

in the 'Swinging London' years, when that city was both the epicentre for the Stones' lives & careers, as well as for Western(-European) popular culture in a whole, there was hardly an American place mentioned (only speaking of self-written material, off course - including the covers they did wouldn't be correct, right?)

Now "Get your kicks/ or route M11"... smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 16:56 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Date: November 20, 2014 16:04

Thommie
One thing that has strucked me is that places mentioned in Stones-written songs mostly are American places, cities and so on. Very few are English, though.

RoughJusticeOnYa

In fact, that one could go like this:

(the band's on stage - yes; it's one of those nights! People cheering; string section is tuning verociously, Charlie's shooting rimshots & snare drum rolls...)

“YEAH!! Oh YEAH!! Whoooooo-hooo!! Can you hear us in the back? Can you hear anything?! I think I busted a button on my trousers... Charlie’s good tonite, ine?! Yeah... We gonna play a brand nu’ song from our upcumin’ album and it go’s summin’ like dis... (Keith, watcha doin’!!?)”

(Chuck Berry intro playing, after which the lead vocals in a posh Brittish accent hit in: )

It feels like heaven/ on road M11
Well it winds from Stratford/ to Great Shelford
Just 55 miles/ yes that’s quite short
(backings: quite so… indeed! Wouldn’t you agree?)
But it’s like heaven/ on road M11
Now you go/ through Newport, Stansted, Bishop’s Stortford
Cambridge City looks oh so pretty
You’ll see Epping Harlow/ you’ll forget all about tomorrow…
Little Halingbury, don’t be in a hurry
Saffron Walden, Newport, Duxford!
In case you would fancy/ a little romance-y:
It feels like heaven/ on road M11"

"Thank you! good nite!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 16:57 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: November 20, 2014 16:46

Mick, during the '81 tour. It was so contrived, no wonder Keith got sick of him.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 20, 2014 17:18

I remember my Dad asking me back in 1964, "Why do all these Rock n Rollers sound black?"

He was most shocked when he found out CCR was white.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 20, 2014 18:41

OK. I read the article and lost count of the many non-American accents that were referenced. London, Cockney, Irish, etc. However, I only caught references to "American accents" and "a flat or neutral American accent". Although the writer answering the question was somewhat limited by the question, they seem to miss the fact that AMERICAN pop singers do the same thing. Although I can catch certain inflections which will give me hints of a singers origin within the United States, for the most part, unless you listen closely, they're not audible. Yet when listening to those same musicians speak, many times, especially early in their careers, it can become very obvious that they're from a certain region within the US.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 20, 2014 19:11

Matt Monro.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 20, 2014 19:12

RoughJusticeOnYa
Thommie
One thing that has strucked me is that places mentioned in Stones-written songs mostly are American places, cities and so on. Very few are English, though.

RoughJusticeOnYa

In fact, that one could go like this:

(the band's on stage - yes; it's one of those nights! People cheering; string section is tuning verociously, Charlie's shooting rimshots & snare drum rolls...)

“YEAH!! Oh YEAH!! Whoooooo-hooo!! Can you hear us in the back? Can you hear anything?! I think I busted a button on my trousers... Charlie’s good tonite, ine?! Yeah... We gonna play a brand nu’ song from our upcumin’ album and it go’s summin’ like dis... (Keith, watcha doin’!!?)”

(Chuck Berry intro playing, after which the lead vocals in a posh Brittish accent hit in: )

"Thank you! good nite!"

Haha - know it well. Very good.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: November 21, 2014 01:30

Silver Dagger
RoughJusticeOnYa
Thommie

RoughJusticeOnYa

"Thank you! good nite!"

Haha - know it well. Very good.

Nice one, RoughJusticeOnYa - I grew up in those places beside the M11 (or A11 as it was before they built the motorway)!

During the punk era it was very uncool in the UK to show any affection for or affiliation with the USA so there were plenty of British accents to be heard. Including Jagger's nod to the scene, on Where the Boys All Go.

Billy Bragg did actually sing about a main road, the A13, in his London accent of course: [lyrics.wikia.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 21, 2014 09:13

I always liked the fact that the London Bach Choir singers in the beginning of YCAGWYW didn't hide their obvious British accents. Their pronunciation of "can't" is classic British while Jagger continues the song with obvious American inflection. peace

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 11:28

Thommie
One thing that has strucked me is that places mentioned in Stones-written songs mostly are American places, cities and so on. Very few are English, though. At least in comparision with American ones.
Seems a litte bit strange to me. Or is it all about to please the American market?

Paul McCartney said that British towns just don't sound as cool as the American towns Chuck Berry would sing about. That's why Paul wrote Mull of Kintyre to try give a location on the British Isles a chance. (Mull of Kintyre was a smash in England...but such a flop in America that American DJs actually played the B-side—Girls' School—a lot more.)

Date: November 21, 2014 11:46

Title5Take1
(Mull of Kintyre was a smash in England...but such a flop in America that American DJs actually played the B-side—Girls' School—a lot more.)

I think there's more to that than 'just' the naming of "unfamiliar"/ "uncool" locations.

"MoK" actually is a stiff contender for being the lowest point in R'n'R history, if you'd ask me...
(P.S.: it wasn't just England - I was tortured with that 45' turd on a daily basis over here, on the European continent, as well in those days),
and therefor apparently American DJs have a LOT more (wealth? & ) taste than I'd give them credit for... (but then again, how would I know.) grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home