Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: Hanging Rock show cancelled
Posted by: Denny ()
Date: November 8, 2014 15:01

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 15:02 by Denny.

Date: November 8, 2014 15:02

mikesnaps
This is a terrible situation. I know people have been relating their own experience of having a concert cancelled. This scenario is a bit different. These poor fans have had the same show cancelled twice!
Fans were very understanding when Mick pulled out of the tour in March. Many people lost money ie flights, accommodation etc, only a small percentage wanted a refund, they were prepared to wait 6 months to see the Stones and wear any financial loss so they could see the band (probably for the last time in Australia).

Then to have the show cancelled again with no reschedule is not good enough. Fans were very sympathetic to Mick with the tragedy he endured earlier this year. I think the Stones owe these fans. A concert should be rescheduled after Auckland even if the Stones have to dig into their own (deep) pockets to pull it off.

My heart goes out to the fans I know how elated my wife and I were to walk into Adelaide oval after waiting months, it's not good enough for Keith to write "shit happens on to Sydney". These fans deserved better whatever the logistical problems rescheduling would have presented!

Thanks mate! It was a bit of a disappointment to hear the news after having the show cancelled once already! Still, nothing can be done. In any case, it isn't the end of the world, even for a true fan like myself. There are plenty of other wonderful and enjoyable aspects of life to be experienced every day (one of which is the recorded work of the Rolling Stones, ha ha!), so I accept the disappointment stoically... Thanks for your well-reasoned and heartfelt empathy, you're one of the good ones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 15:06 by Denny.

Date: November 8, 2014 15:15

bv
I had late breakfast as usual Friday morning, still on Perth time for some reason, waking up late. When I logged into my PC I had an e-mail I just could not understand immediately:

Cancelled Show: Rolling Stones in Mt Macedon at Hanging Rock on Nov 8th

I just could not accept it. I was so ready for Hanging Rock. I have been thinking about Hanging Rock for a year or so now! I was in Australia in March, and I am back here now. But I have to face the facts. The dry voice Mick had on Wednesday at Rod Laver Arena was not just one of those days he would recover, it was one of those days where it will all get worse.

To all those who say "Why can't Mick just go on stage and sing?" ... Well break a leg and run a marathon. That's how easy it is. When your voice is gone it is gone. I have had may be 20 cancelled Stones shows over the years, probably more. When Mick lost his voice in Nuremberg 1998 he could not sing at all. Same with many other shows. If your voice don't work then you can't sing.

So I went over to meet up with friends on tour, what should we do? Well there is nothing else to do than going to Sydney and crossing your fingers! Meanwhile, I am still in Melbourne, the weather is great, all the ladies are still dressing up nicely with hats, high heals, so I stay on my schedule and decide to be in Melbourne until my scheduled departure on Sunday. A quick side trip to the Stones hotel and I see the camera people are there to catch Mick and is illness on film...

My favorite beer in Australia is Carton Draught. Sure I have had my VB at times, and sure I felt the pressure of having a few Coopers Pale Ale in Adelaide, but here in Victoria I have been highly dedicated to Carlton Draught. So when I got the news about the cancellation of hanging Rock,. I took my bike and went over to Abbotsford here in Melbourne. This is my way to the brewery, with a Stones touch of course:

First you start downtown. You follow Yarra River. First a side trip to see the Corner Hotel once more. Where Mick Jagger did his 1988 solo club show in Richmond Melbourne. Then back by the river, a bit further up, another side trip to the Kooyong Tennis Courts. When I saw the Stones at Rod Laver Arena on Wednesday I talked to a lady i.e. a girl next to me and she told me how great they were at that show in 1973 so I just had to get back there just to feel the venue once more. Oh so much I would have liked to be there and see them in 1973, but I was too young to travel and I saw them at Scandinavium Gothenburg the same year anyway... Then biking some more up the river, you smell the beer in the air, it is all over, you know you are in ... Abbotsford ... The Carlton Brewery!

I was running late. I am arriving five past two. But there is only one more for the brewery tour, so they bring me into it. I see the same tour I saw in 2003. The VB bottles are flying by at a rate of 120 per minute, that is 20 bottles per second. We are told about the brewing process, then we are on to the best part of the tour - tasting fresh beer.

Normally we get to taste 6 they say, but as we are only two people on the tour, we get a lot more, in fact we taste every single brand, every single tap. Then at the end we get an extra glass of our favorite...

Then on Hanging Rock show day Saturday I don't know what to do... I have a bike so I could bike down to St Kilda one more time. But Hanging Rock is still in my mind. I book a train ride to Woodend Station on the 10:36 train and I am on my way to Hanging Rock.

The Woodend Station is showing a sign saying "Rolling Stones concert at Hanging Rock cancelled due to illness". Ok I do know that. But I did not expect such a desserted place still. Totally empty. No signs of a show with an expected crowd of 20,000 anywhere. It is all taken down and away. Where is the party?

I pass by Holgate Brewhouse in Woodend city, a minute or three from the train station. Many guests do have Stones shirts, also a few "14 On Fire", so I suppose they went to Rod Laver Arena. A sign outside says:

LIVE MUSIC SUNDAY Jaggers Banquet (Rolling Stones Tribute Band)

I take my bike the 7 km or so to Hanging Rock. Again nothing is around. Some cars come by and they are told the show is off. I bike around, take some pictures, climb the hanging rock, it is impressing but it is not that high. May be 10-15 minutes up if you are fit. I see the stage down there and I feel sad because I could not experience The Rolling Stones at this unique place, with these impressing rock formations as a backdrop.

Nice post BV. I'm not one of the long-term members of this forum, and I haven't looked in for months until today, but had I known you were here, I'd have driven you down to Hanging Rock myself and have bought you a beer or two at the Holgate Brewery. Which may very well have more tasty beers on tap than Carlton Draught, if you don't mind me saying so!

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: November 8, 2014 16:50

Winning Ugly VXII
Long John Stoner
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII
I wonder what the Stones' prior commitments are at the end of November.

I also wonder why they box themselves into a corner to the point where they cannot reschedule a single concert.

You'd figure that they would give themselves a little window of time for such situations (especially considering their ages) .

Good points...they should allow themselves a bit more wiggle room.

I think it is time for people to accept that it is exactly for these reasons the Stones DON'T re-schedule at this stage. The lead singer is 71 years old, acting as if he's 21 or 31. Things like throat infections are going to happen to a 71 year old man. Moreover, the drummer is 74. He just might feel like screw it, I'm not doing this any longer than I have to, especially at this time of year. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the band's reasoning is well, they're going to be refunded the ticket price and people who booked flights should have purchased flight insurance, especially for a flight to Australia from anywhere.

These are the realities of a band whose average age is 71 years of age.

Those reasons ?? What reasons ?? The only 2 I have heard of are "prior commitments" and the "screw it" theory.

Age is not a valid reason if they still continue to perform later this month. If they wanted to have a concert at their ages on November 8th,2014 ( as well as the 12th,15th,18th,and 22nd ) .... then they probably would also be well able to have a concert on November 29th,2014 as an example.

The throat infection has nothing to do with rescheduling or not rescheduling the show 3 weeks down the road. Obviously,he is expected to recover well before the later part of November. Otherwise,the remaining dates of the tour would also be cancelled.

I suspect money is a large factor in the decision. Maybe they don't want to pay the cost to haul the stage from Australia to New Zealand and then back to Australia again . ??

All I was trying to say is that because of the realities of a band whose average age is 71 , such as increased chances of not being able to follow through with scheduled concert dates , it might have been a good idea not to make "prior commitments" immediately following the last scheduled tour date.

Wow. You obviously don't live in reality when it comes to these things. Tell you what- YOU get to over 70 years of age, involved in a massive undertaking costing millions of dollars with other business associates even older than you, get a throat infection on top of any other physical issues you might already have, plus any issues the others might be dealing with, and THEN get back to us and see how you feel.

Date: November 8, 2014 16:51

with sssoul
... The fact that the Stones don't spell it all out only means one thing:
We don't know the nature of the obstacle to rescheduling.
It could be family issues. It could be crucial backline/backup people. It could be all kinds of things.

Judging people harshly when we don't know the facts is such a small-hearted thing to do.
How about we all go forth and make the world a more beautiful place instead?

I'm sorry for everyone who's disappointed. Mick, be well as soon as you can.

Exactly.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 8, 2014 17:01

What a shame this all is ...very frustating. However I do think as a band they have acted in good faith by re-scheduling from March in the first place. They could have just walked away from Aus/NZ after L'Wren's suicide

Still, very disappointing for anyone who's made plans to see them today and today only. Hopefully not too many people fall into that category

Date: November 8, 2014 17:13

mikesnaps
Long John Stoner
mikesnaps
This is a terrible situation. I know people have been relating their own experience of having a concert cancelled. This scenario is a bit different. These poor fans have had the same show cancelled twice!
Fans were very understanding when Mick pulled out of the tour in March. Many people lost money ie flights, accommodation etc, only a small percentage wanted a refund, they were prepared to wait 6 months to see the Stones and wear any financial loss so they could see the band (probably for the last time in Australia).

Then to have the show cancelled again with no reschedule is not good enough. Fans were very sympathetic to Mick with the tragedy he endured earlier this year. I think the Stones owe these fans. A concert should be rescheduled after Auckland even if the Stones have to dig into their own (deep) pockets to pull it off.

My heart goes out to the fans I know how elated my wife and I were to walk into Adelaide oval after waiting months, it's not good enough for Keith to write "shit happens on to Sydney". These fans deserved better whatever the logistical problems rescheduling would have presented!

Oh please. The Stones don't owe anybody. Some of you really need to separate yourselves from your Stones jones and observe real life.

Rubbish Long john. This is real life for some people who have lost thousands of $ investing in getting to this concert. The Stones may not owe anybody in your world view but thankfully I don't think that way, I'm sure the 20,000 people who been given a raw deal think real life has dealt them a bum hand.

I'm sorry sir, but rubbish is thinking the Stones owe anybody anything in a situation like this.

They've been at this for over 50 years. There have been increasingly more cancellations for various reasons in recent years than all the early years combined. Illness and infirmity, the reason for the most recent one, should be absolutely expected at this point in time. A ticket purchaser of a 2014 Stones show assumes that risk.

I was at the show in Las Vegas the band did right after Jagger's father died. He got word he was ill, flew from Vegas to London, saw his father, then flew back to do the show, all within about 24-30 hours. He had to be thoroughly spent emotionally and physically, yet he put on his usual performance. NOBODY would have blamed him for cancelling. Yet there he was. And, those of us who have seen multiple shows have likely seen them in the rain outdoors, where they do a full show and don't stint on a single aspect of it.

So to think they're callously cancelling without a thought to making up a show (how quickly we seem to forget THIS is a make up leg of their tour after L'Wren Scott's death, an event that might have made lesser men pack it in) shows how little people are thinking through this entire episode. The Stones didn't get this far without considering their fans. This band is one of the ultimate group of showmen, "the show must go on" people there ever was. If they haven't re-scheduled it's because they simply can't do it. After all they've given of themselves for over 50 years they're allowed that consideration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 17:14 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: November 8, 2014 17:59

Mr. Jagger had to write the message and not Richards!!

Date: November 8, 2014 18:32

Long John Stoner
Winning Ugly VXII
Long John Stoner
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII

I also wonder why they box themselves into a corner to the point where they cannot reschedule a single concert.

You'd figure that they would give themselves a little window of time for such situations (especially considering their ages) .

I think it is time for people to accept that it is exactly for these reasons the Stones DON'T re-schedule at this stage. The lead singer is 71 years old, acting as if he's 21 or 31. Things like throat infections are going to happen to a 71 year old man. Moreover, the drummer is 74. He just might feel like screw it, I'm not doing this any longer than I have to, especially at this time of year. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the band's reasoning is well, they're going to be refunded the ticket price and people who booked flights should have purchased flight insurance, especially for a flight to Australia from anywhere.

Those reasons ?? What reasons ?? The only 2 I have heard of are "prior commitments" and the "screw it" theory.

Age is not a valid reason if they still continue to perform later this month. If they wanted to have a concert at their ages on November 8th,2014 ( as well as the 12th,15th,18th,and 22nd ) .... then they probably would also be well able to have a concert on November 29th,2014 as an example.

The throat infection has nothing to do with rescheduling or not rescheduling the show 3 weeks down the road. Obviously,he is expected to recover well before the later part of November. Otherwise,the remaining dates of the tour would also be cancelled.

I suspect money is a large factor in the decision. Maybe they don't want to pay the cost to haul the stage from Australia to New Zealand and then back to Australia again . ??

All I was trying to say is that because of the realities of a band whose average age is 71 , such as increased chances of not being able to follow through with scheduled concert dates , it might have been a good idea not to make "prior commitments" immediately following the last scheduled tour date.

Wow. You obviously don't live in reality when it comes to these things. Tell you what- YOU get to over 70 years of age, involved in a massive undertaking costing millions of dollars with other business associates even older than you, get a throat infection on top of any other physical issues you might already have, plus any issues the others might be dealing with, and THEN get back to us and see how you feel.

I don't live in reality ??

I simply stated FACTS of the situation. They still have concerts scheduled for mid-November of this year. It is quite reasonable to conclude,based on that fact,that (a) they don't believe that they are too old to perform concerts in November of 2014 and (b) they do not expect the throat issue to be a problem any longer by the time next week rolls around.

As far as BV's comments go,I have not heard of anyone who expects Jagger to perform while the throat infection is still an issue. These questions are about the situation later this month.

Date: November 8, 2014 18:41

Winning Ugly VXII
Long John Stoner
Winning Ugly VXII
Long John Stoner
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII

I don't live in reality ??

I simply stated FACTS of the situation. They still have concerts scheduled for mid-November of this year. It is quite reasonable to conclude,based on that fact,that (a) they don't believe that they are too old to perform concerts in November of 2014 and (b) they do not expect the throat issue to be a problem any longer by the time next week rolls around.

As far as BV's comments go,I have not heard of anyone who expects Jagger to perform while the throat infection is still an issue. These questions are about the situation later this month.

Way to confuse the situation. You most definitely are not looking at this objectively.

We're all sorry the Stones have made you upset. The Stones are most likely sorrier than anyone. You're just going to have to resolve these issues on your own.

Date: November 8, 2014 18:48

I confused the issue by stating facts. Alright. I'm sorry. I'll try to resolve the issues as soon as you explain exactly what they are and how I can resolve them.

Date: November 8, 2014 19:29

Winning Ugly VXII
I confused the issue by stating facts. Alright. I'm sorry. I'll try to resolve the issues as soon as you explain exactly what they are and how I can resolve them.

No, I'm not going to prolong this any further. If you can't get that their age and the logistics of touring are bigger factors than they have ever been, there's no use going on here.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: November 8, 2014 19:45

these men are professionals of the highest caliber and honestly believe they will move heaven and earth to rock. i was at the miserable Chicago 2006 fall stop with the wind chill at 22 degrees and flurries. cold ass weather! the band did not falter and call it they played on in the most miserable weather i've ever seen a rock musician attempt. they earned a lot in my book. however, health is another issue and if the voice is gone, it's gone baby, you got to nurture it back. here's hoping mick will be up and feeling better in no time. rock on sir mick!

Date: November 8, 2014 20:04

Long John Stoner
Winning Ugly VXII

No, I'm not going to prolong this any further. If you can't get that their age and the logistics of touring are bigger factors than they have ever been, there's no use going on here.

I'll prolong it then.

* Logistics of Touring : quite possibly an issue
(I never stated that it was not.)

* Age : No. I am definitely not buying that one. Since it's not an issue in mid-November,I don't expect it to become an issue a few days or a week later. Nobody ages that quickly in 1 week. You are absolutely correct that I "don't get" that one.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: November 8, 2014 20:07

wicked67
Mr. Jagger had to write the message and not Richards!!

Jesus Christ, the guys cannot win with some of you lot. If they say nothing, you call them disconnected. If something is said, you quibble over who should say it.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 8, 2014 21:24

Look at the Australian press articles Rockman recently posted in the Stones Connections thread. The Herald Sun quotes a fan who thinks Mick should "harden up", take some throat lozenges and carry on - and takes care to post a picture in which Mick appears to be giving his fans a two-fingers sign. The Age's article seems to be trying to suggest, without saying so out loud, that Mick's illness is a convenient cover for some major problem with the Hanging Rock stage. No doubt about it, there are some seriously annoyed people out there, and they aren't accepting any excuses.

Me? I've just had a throat infection and I'm still coughing three weeks later. Mick has my sympathy. I expect the sheer hassle and expense of redoing the stage and all the arrangements again after Auckland is too much to cope with, even for the Stones, alas, and a recently recovered throat won't cope with extra shows sooner than that.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 8, 2014 21:42

Yes Australia Mick is faking. His struggling through his last performance was part of a great ruse, perhaps they should play where they're more respected and appreciated. It's "seriously annoying" to read how people are behaving.

Date: November 8, 2014 21:49

straycatuk
DoomandGloom
Anyone that can afford the extravagance of jet setting to follow a band can afford the loss. The Stones can't really be responsible for this extraordinary fanaticism, Their decision starts with their accountants and it's likely they'd need re-rent gear, vehicles and people to add a date. Areschedule they needit'sto cancel another show this will mount up and they'll have set a precedent. The band has acted in good faith with this rescheduled tour anyone who thinks otherwise expects the impractical.

Mr Doom you imply that people who travel to see a band they have followed for many years are so loaded that they can easily take the hit. I accept that following any band to the other side of the world is a risk, but many fans make lots of sacrifices to do it...I accept that there may be reasons that they can't reschedule , but it's a real kick in the teeth to people here in Melbourne.

BTW I'm sat in a hotel room with one eye on the TV with ENG vs NZ rugby and the other on the Stones hotel across the road. I don't feel like a f**king jet setter.

sc uk
Come now,there must be so much to do and see while over there rather than mope and trying to spot Mick Taylor using your field glasses. Maybe take your ticket refund and go see a "Men at Work" tribute band. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 8, 2014 22:11

I am not moping and never have hung around Stones hotels or rehearsals...I just go shows and accept the risks of cancellations.Of course we made Australia about more than the Stones.I' m not botheted about your opinion of me or your seemingly expert knowledge of the entire Australian population...You have reminded why I stopped posting here.

sc uk

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 8, 2014 22:25

For continuity, I thought I'd mention how the weather turned out in Woodend (very close to Hanging Rock) yesterday.

At about 4:20pm in Woodend it was about 33C (and it was nice there, we sat in the shade and had a refreshing ice cream).

But by 6:00pm it was about 22C, and by Stones Time (8:30pm) it was about 13C. ANd by 10:30 (end time) it was about 11C.

Nothing wrong with those temperatures if you're prepared for them, but turning up only prepared for 33C would have been unfortunate.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: November 8, 2014 22:42

DoomandGloom
straycatuk
DoomandGloom
Anyone that can afford the extravagance of jet setting to follow a band can afford the loss. The Stones can't really be responsible for this extraordinary fanaticism, Their decision starts with their accountants and it's likely they'd need re-rent gear, vehicles and people to add a date. Areschedule they needit'sto cancel another show this will mount up and they'll have set a precedent. The band has acted in good faith with this rescheduled tour anyone who thinks otherwise expects the impractical.

Mr Doom you imply that people who travel to see a band they have followed for many years are so loaded that they can easily take the hit. I accept that following any band to the other side of the world is a risk, but many fans make lots of sacrifices to do it...I accept that there may be reasons that they can't reschedule , but it's a real kick in the teeth to people here in Melbourne.

BTW I'm sat in a hotel room with one eye on the TV with ENG vs NZ rugby and the other on the Stones hotel across the road. I don't feel like a f**king jet setter.

sc uk
Come now,there must be so much to do and see while over there rather than mope and trying to spot Mick Taylor using your field glasses. Maybe take your ticket refund and go see a "Men at Work" tribute band. tongue sticking out smiley

Dave (StraycatUK) a jet setter? No, just a devoted fan who's worked all his life and now and then goes on holiday to see the Stones. Mr Gloom, clues in the name really. Jealousy is, well, it's track 6 off Sticky Fingers! Have a killer time! Let's jetset off to another gig in 2015!

Date: November 8, 2014 23:30

The show is not designed for people to follow, basically the same concert each night. Those that travel and see numerous shows are just taking opportunities away from the locals the shows are meant for and inflating prices for the great seats. A Grateful Dead tour was designed for multiple viewings this is not in any way and not advertised as such. Those that spend thousands and feel kicked in the butt are not realistic about the purpose of this World Tour which is to give all fans a final taste.. As far as jealous, I doubt I'd go beyond three shows unless there was someone who I'd wish to treat to the experience. I'd say I'm more outraged by people's sense of entitlement and lack of compassion for a singer who is doing the rest of us proud.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: November 8, 2014 23:38

#KeyboardWarrior

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 9, 2014 00:14

It's not only those who "spent thousands" (and very few people can do that easily) who are bitterly disappointed - there are not that many international travellers anyway, and some at least will have tickets for other shows, or come from places where further shows are a possibility. Losing the first Stones show in your neck of the woods for fifteen years (and probably the last) is a disaster if you aren't able to travel any great distance, and a big problem if you're a local business that staked a lot on revenue from the visitors. Easy for idiots like me to say it shouldn't be such a big deal - it didn't happen to me, and if it had, I suspect I'd be whining louder than anyone!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 9, 2014 00:20

Axed Rolling Stones gig: Unhappy fans protest

[www.heraldsun.com.au]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 9, 2014 00:26

I am very sorry for the people involved, it's happened to me in Milan in BTBtour. But I also believe that the controversy over these things make little sense, is not about age, it happens to young bands to cancel for health reasons, we are not robots! From what I understand, the date will not be recovered, the reasons for this choice can be endless ... so needless to speak about.

everything's turning to gold

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 9, 2014 01:07

From that Herald Sun article: <<"“I think they should play the concert without Mick and have Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood singing.">>

It seems some of those protesting fans either read IORR or post here.

Posted by: ROPS ()
Date: November 9, 2014 01:35

Pretty lousy,for the band to cancel the show and then give some BS story for not rescheduling the show later on,and Keith and his little note can put it where the sun don't shine,sorry for all the fans that spend their hard earned money in tickets,air,and hotels,that probably are not even refundable....confused smiley

"You know who l am, say it"

RESPECT to Mick Jagger
Posted by: benstones ()
Date: November 8, 2014 15:44

I just saw some videos of the show at the ROD LAVER ARENA and I absolutly admire Mick Jagger.

We can see that Mick has big problems of the trhoat but he still doing the show... He's doing his best and I'm sure it was terrible for him to sing with the pain and to see himself "reduced".

I admire and respect him because I saw some young "artists" like Beyonce or Rihana or even Madonna (I had to see, not wanted to see, have a little sister). Beyonce did 4 songs in playback, Rihana and Madonna did almost the whole show in playback !

and here were are in Melbourne at the Rod Laver Arena, Mick is sick and do his best. I will not post the videos I saw because I don't see the point but CONGRATULATIONS Mick, I'm proud of Mick, Proud to be fan of the Rolling Stones.

Get well soon! The fans need you!

Benjamin.

Re: RESPECT to Mick Jagger
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 8, 2014 16:12

For all he has been through, with so much exposure and crap he put up with for decades, Mick keeps getting cooler and cooler in my book.Much respect here.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home