Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Hanging Rock show cancelled
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: November 11, 2014 06:10

It's silly to put the responsibility of the choices of the audience on the Stones. I empathise with these people but there are no guarantees in life and I'm sure those now complaining about out of pocket expenses are aware of this.
The risk was yours to take so you need to accept and take responsibility for this.

The truth is nobody outside the inner sanctum of the Stones knows why they are not rescheduling the show. The obviously have their reasons and consider them valid to be already this far down under and not rebook it.

Even if they did, it could be three weeks down the track which probably would have left many if not all of those that travelled for the show having returned home.

I think we as a general society (particularly here in Australia) have a general expectation that's crept into the fabric of our general outlook on life that if something goes wrong for us or doesn't work out that someone or something needs to compensate us. Life isn't about that.

Friend of mine had their 13 year old boy diagnosed w cancer recently. How important is you problem compared with hers?

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 11, 2014 06:14

Many of us know, if you are going to travel for the Stones...find a 2 week window where you can get 5+ gigs in. I'd weep for these boobs, but I'm outta tears.

Date: November 11, 2014 06:17

Well put Kyle, perspective indeed.

Hey, the US just overthrew another democratically elected gov't and forced their people into decades of poverty...but my rock concert fell through. Tell it to Allende...

Posted by: IfYouStartMeUp ()
Date: November 11, 2014 06:23

sdstonesguy
Such a strange response...I thought only us Americans were that self absorbed. BV has it right, you don't go to Hawaii, it happens to rain & then sulk the rest of the vacation.

P.S. Anyone who has been waiting their whole life to see the Stones & only now bought tickets...haven't been waiting their whole life...or were born recently. That's like me saying I've been waiting my whole life to see BB King. I mean sure, I had like 1,000 chances...but THIS was the one...

Yeah, I was born recently... and this is the first (and probably last) time they've toured here since I became a fan.

Anyway I'm not here to argue about this. I understand and accept why it was cancelled, but it's still disappointing that it isn't being rescheduled. Maybe if they told us why they can't reschedule it it might help things a little.

And just to clarify, I'm not complaining about lost expenses, just the fact that I'll probably never get to see them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-11 06:40 by IfYouStartMeUp.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: November 11, 2014 06:38

with sssoul
Crazyhorse
Its on the BBC website

So it is: [www.bbc.co.uk]

Just read the link and in my opinion that is absolutely ridiculous, and insensitive. Mental illness is not linear. Not including it in the insurance policy is like saying "you should know that your girlfriend might commit suicide if she has depression"and I'm no insurance/legal expert but I do know people who have killed themselves and even the people closest to them have not anticipated it. My father has depression. Should I constantly be afraid of him killing himself? That is no way to live.

Okay, rant over.

Date: November 11, 2014 06:40

The way you are responding to it If YouStartMeUp is very grown up. I do feel disappointed for you and people that are in the position you're in, but at least you're being sensible about it.

I honestly hope you get the chance to see them before they hang up their boots.
If you're a new Stones fan and are light on gear feel free to email me and I'll run you off copies of stacks of dvd and cd boots smileys with beer

Date: November 11, 2014 06:45

Totally agree...disappointment is understandable. Signs about all the money you "lost" is silly.

Date: November 11, 2014 06:46

Right on sdstonesguy. So many of us just don't realise what an awesome life we lead and that we are so blessed/fortunate/lucky/whatever. Picketing with Stones t shirts about a few grand when you must be ok financially to begin with seems self involved to me. I mean no disrespect to anybody though.

That's what I found so amusing about the U2 iTunes thing - the outrage of people. It's like Bono had crawled over their dying mother to f*ck their sister.

And I agree with your post alieb. Some rants need voicing...

Date: November 11, 2014 07:22

sdstonesguy
Totally agree...disappointment is understandable. Signs about all the money you "lost" is silly.

Agree with that, I added another bit to my post to clarify that I'm not one of those people... lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-11 07:22 by IfYouStartMeUp.

Date: November 11, 2014 07:24

OzHeavyThrobber
The way you are responding to it If YouStartMeUp is very grown up. I do feel disappointed for you and people that are in the position you're in, but at least you're being sensible about it.

I honestly hope you get the chance to see them before they hang up their boots.
If you're a new Stones fan and are light on gear feel free to email me and I'll run you off copies of stacks of dvd and cd boots smileys with beer

Cool, thanks for the offer!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 11, 2014 08:55

^^ See, something good did come out of all this. smiling smiley Warming the heart and such.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 11, 2014 08:57

I think one should know that if you are travelling nowadays to a Stones concert that one should think about holidays where you do other things as well and enjoy life. We have been very, very lucky in Springtime as we were able to cancel all existing reservations for Australia except the loss of some hundred $ for the ticket. However we always plan (I think BV does the same) other sightseeing and tours in and around the city or town the Stones are going to play.
I feel sorry for the people who spend a lot of money for a weekend or holidays, but use it and enjoy, you can't do anything else.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 11, 2014 14:03

sdstonesguy
Not sure what all the complaining is about, if Mick's sick, he's sick. At least folks got a heads up...I remember being in line ALL DAY for Amsterdam #2 in 2003 before finding out. Man that one hurt...had to live with only 5 shows!

San Jose was heartbreaking at the time. I was sick as a dog but drove into the arena anyway...only to find Mick didn't care to join me. To be fair he made it up with 2 make-up shows...which were Pro-Shot gigs. I assume it will be San Jose '99 out of the vault eventually...that tour is somehow overlooked (despite being outstandingly good...and an arena tour...and CHEAP).
cheap by today's standards. in '99 it constituted their most expensive tour at the time. though by all accounts it seemed worth it.

Date: November 11, 2014 14:33

All good, making last-minute plans to go to the Hope Estate gig on Saturday instead. smiling smiley

Date: November 11, 2014 15:16

mnewman505

Sorry but....what planet do this people think they live?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 11, 2014 15:31

IfYouStartMeUp
All good, making last-minute plans to go to the Hope Estate gig on Saturday instead. smiling smiley
that's the spirit! if you REALLY want to see them, you can always make it happen. here's to a fantastic night in Sydney!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: November 11, 2014 16:34

sdstonesguy
Such a strange response...I thought only us Americans were that self absorbed
hahaha

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 11, 2014 17:07

the ones on the right look a little more philosophical about it..

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: November 11, 2014 21:16

Those people in the pictures are pathetic. Do they not know they are on planet earth where human beings get sick no matter how famous they are? No one has a right to expect any more than ticket money back if an artist has to cancel. The Stones aren't responsible for their travel expenses. I've seen the Stones six times and I knew every time it was a gamble that they would all be healthy or that it wouldn't rain on outdoor shows. It's called dealing with reality. And BTW, for the Stones to be still on the road in their seventies is truly amazing in and of itself!

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: November 11, 2014 21:27

Haven't been on here for a while. Kept meaning to check back here and see how the Australian shows were going - but haven't had a chance.

Found out about the cancellation when talking to my brother who now lives in Sydney.

Such a shame for all those who were going to go to the show. I know I'd be absolutely gutted.

But it's not Mick's fault. We all get sick at times - whatever our age. I just checked out some of the videos from Melbourne and can defintely tell his voice isn't right.

Since I was really young, whenever I get a cold it goes straight to my throat. Which I hate! It hurts just talking and I couldn't imagine singing.

Of course though I really feel for the fans who were disappointed.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 11, 2014 21:44

StonedInTokyo
treaclefingers

Self-absorbed attention seekers...the lovely woman in cougar pants should have no problem recouping her expenses.

The one in the middle holding the 'licked' sign up is just bragging.....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2014 22:02

EddieByword
StonedInTokyo
treaclefingers

Self-absorbed attention seekers...the lovely woman in cougar pants should have no problem recouping her expenses.

The one in the middle holding the 'licked' sign up is just bragging.....

yeah exactly...she's cool.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 11, 2014 22:34

was there an explanation of why the show was not rescheduled? just curious..

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 11, 2014 23:14

IfYouStartMeUp

THAT is the spirit! thumbs up Do whatever you need to do and I'm sure you'll have a great memory for the rest of your life.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 11, 2014 23:55

It's Only Rock'n Roll. May be somebody forgot that.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: November 12, 2014 08:53

All due respect BV
But that's easy for you to say, you have tickets for every show. One cancelled is a bummer but you can go to the next show the following week. Not everyone has the means or time to attend multiple shows over a big continent such as Australia.

These poor fans lost possibly the last chance to see their heroes not once but twice!

It's only rocknroll? Obviously it's means more to you and me as well as the majority of fans on this forum.
As Keith said for a million people there's the sun, the sky the moon and the Rolling Stones. It's means a lot to people, a more detailed explanation as to why there could be no reschedule would maybe have generated some more understanding from dissapointed fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-12 08:57 by mikesnaps.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 12, 2014 09:20

Excuse me but The Rolling Stones played Rod Laver Arena one hour drive from Hanging Rock in Melbourne, on Wednesday the same week. If I was a big fan and I could not miss them I would have seen them at the Rod Laver Arena. Hanging Rock was the tourist show. Let us admit that. Wine, hotel, packages, thousands of dollars. Mick has lost his voice on EVERY TOUR since 1998. It is not a big surprise really. The guys are 70+ so don't take any show for granted. It is still only rock'n roll.

Bjornulf

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 12, 2014 09:56

mikesnaps
It's means a lot to people, a more detailed explanation as to why there could be no reschedule would maybe have generated some more understanding from disappointed fans.

... If people can't imagine - without any "detailed explanations" - a list of possible reasons as long as their arms,
including reasons that no one would want publicized, then they're not in the mood to be understanding.

And as someone smart has already noted, even if they could reschedule, any date/venue they chose
would further upset large numbers of ticketholders who wouldn't be able to make it there/then;
and if they did make it they'd be "out" even more expenses for further travel/accommodations, wouldn't they.

They can't reschedule. If they could they would. Certain song titles come to mind.

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: November 12, 2014 10:39

bv
Excuse me but The Rolling Stones played Rod Laver Arena one hour drive from Hanging Rock in Melbourne, on Wednesday the same week. If I was a big fan and I could not miss them I would have seen them at the Rod Laver Arena. Hanging Rock was the tourist show. Let us admit that. Wine, hotel, packages, thousands of dollars. Mick has lost his voice on EVERY TOUR since 1998. It is not a big surprise really. The guys are 70+ so don't take any show for granted. It is still only rock'n roll.[/quote

If you could only get tickets for Hanging rock then a midweek show in Melbourne might as well be on the other side of the globe. Anyway, I feel a lot of empathy for these fans, won't say anymore as have said all I need to say. I have a lot of respect for you, enjoy the rest of the tour, wish I could have seen more shows this tour but have great memories of Adelaide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-12 10:43 by mikesnaps.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 12, 2014 10:41

bv
Excuse me but The Rolling Stones played Rod Laver Arena one hour drive from Hanging Rock in Melbourne, on Wednesday the same week. If I was a big fan and I could not miss them I would have seen them at the Rod Laver Arena. Hanging Rock was the tourist show. Let us admit that. Wine, hotel, packages, thousands of dollars. Mick has lost his voice on EVERY TOUR since 1998. It is not a big surprise really. The guys are 70+ so don't take any show for granted. It is still only rock'n roll.

Everyone keeps bleating on about their age...
It's a business. If they can't rock and roll due to their age then they should stop touring and stop wasting everyone's money!

An easy solution is to space out their shows and have contingency plans in place for when one of them gets a sore throat, falls out of a tree, can't play a guitar, shits their pants etc...
Then they have room to re-schedule dates and everyone's happy etc..

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home