Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 14
Re: Tokyo-3 Mar 6 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 14:57

I predict more rarities in Australia and a lot more in Europe.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: March 6, 2014 14:58

Gazza
rollingon
I wonder what is the main reason for shortening the set list?

Is that maybe the work load on Charlie?

Mick seems to be very energetic always and I can't see any big problems with Keith or Ronnie, if Keith has bad day you can see it from the first song and if he has a good day, I can't see any problem with 22 songs.

Its payback for the Japanese as they got three extra songs on "Sweet Summer Sun"

cool smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 6, 2014 15:00

A glimpse backstage at Tokyo Dome. Hotei and @RollingStones played the fantastic song "Respectable" together.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 6, 2014 15:02

MRAmandaJones
I think the question is not the quality of the performance or even the song choices, but : why do they rehearse rare songs since they finaly playd more or less the same "best of" for years ?
I specify that's not a critic, but a fact.
because they get bored with playing the "warhorses" over and over so they mix things up for interest and veriety

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 6, 2014 15:02

Japanese bootleggers must be devasted : thye certainly counted on a spectacular 3rd show to sell lavish 6-CD box-sized sets of the whole residency.

Now that Tokyo has been a "nothing special" affair boots of the gigs will be cheap cd-r releases with ugly home-printed cover "art". >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 6, 2014 15:04

Jan Richards

And about the setlist tonight, absolutely great. Just think about it, like 8-9 of the greatest rocksongs ever made in the history of rock music and performed on the same night by a band who originally made them? Will you ever see another concert / band do that?

yes, next show. same songs.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: March 6, 2014 15:38

As a Japanese fan I would be really pissed. 3 greatest hits shows. Even the two shows in 2006 appear like club gigs, setlist wise, compared to this.

Date: March 6, 2014 15:41

Hanns Rainsch
As a Japanese fan I would be really pissed. 3 greatest hits shows. Even the two shows in 2006 appear like club gigs, setlist wise, compared to this.
But you are not a Japanese fan. Japanese fans seem to be very satisfied in Tokyo!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 6, 2014 15:42

Rokyfan
MRAmandaJones
I think the question is not the quality of the performance or even the song choices, but : why do they rehearse rare songs since they finaly playd more or less the same "best of" for years ?
because they get bored with playing the "warhorses" over and over so they mix things up for interest and veriety

drinking smiley>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 15:44

Like the licks tour or not thats the only tour that really took a chance with the setlist

CD 3:
1. Street Fighting Man
2. It's Only Rock'n Roll (But I Like It)
3. If You Can't Rock Me
4. Don't Stop
5. Ain't Too Proud to Beg
6. Heart Of Stone
7. Sweet Virginia
8. Loving Cup
9. All Down The Line
10. Tumbling Dice
11. Band intro
12. Thru And Thru
13. You Don't Have To Mean It
CD 4:
1. Start Me Up
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Honky Tonk Women
4. Can't You Hear Me Knocking?
5. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
6. Mannish Boy
7. When The Whip Comes Down
8. Brown Sugar
9. Sympathy For The Devil
10. Jumping Jack Flash

You don't get setlists like this anymore

Date: March 6, 2014 15:44

Hanns Rainsch
But you are not a Japanese fan. Japanese fans seem to be very satisfied in Tokyo!
+1

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 6, 2014 15:48

Godxofxrock9
Like the licks tour or not thats the only tour that really took a chance with the setlist

CD 3:
1. Street Fighting Man
2. It's Only Rock'n Roll (But I Like It)
3. If You Can't Rock Me
4. Don't Stop
5. Ain't Too Proud to Beg
6. Heart Of Stone
7. Sweet Virginia
8. Loving Cup
9. All Down The Line
10. Tumbling Dice
11. Band intro
12. Thru And Thru
13. You Don't Have To Mean It
CD 4:
1. Start Me Up
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Honky Tonk Women
4. Can't You Hear Me Knocking?
5. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
6. Mannish Boy
7. When The Whip Comes Down
8. Brown Sugar
9. Sympathy For The Devil
10. Jumping Jack Flash

You don't get setlists like this anymore

Oakland -- great show.

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: March 6, 2014 15:49

8 different songs in 3 shows....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 15:54 by bart-man.

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: March 6, 2014 15:53

MRAmandaJones

Personally I think the reality is: They rehearse the warhorses too & even those are prone to becoming 'derailed' at times. I think they just don't want to increase the chances of train-wreck versions of things that they rarely play. Songs like 'Rocks Off' went badly wrong in the US last year, so they play it safe to avoid embarrassment imho. It's not like they hang-out with each other as a band anymore. They spend years without seeing each other, then rehearse for a few weeks in order to even nail the warhorses. We remember the band's back catalogue much better than they do. Also, they obviously don't rehearse BETWEEN gigs either- so any rarity they may kick around during those initial rehearsals will become more & more of a potential disaster as the months roll on.
I don't mean that in derogatory way- it's just the way I see it. It doesn't mean that the shows aren't good.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 16:24 by MrsHop.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:03

dcba
Japanese bootleggers must be devasted : thye certainly counted on a spectacular 3rd show to sell lavish 6-CD box-sized sets of the whole residency.

Now that Tokyo has been a "nothing special" affair boots of the gigs will be over-priced cd-r releases with ugly home-printed cover "art". >grinning smiley<

Fixed that for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 16:04 by StonedInTokyo.

Date: March 6, 2014 16:05

It's only the beginning of the tour...

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:08

Hanns Rainsch

Your post proves you couldn't possibly be a Japanese fan. How many Japanese fans do you hear bitching and complaining about these Tokyo Dome shows? None! Life's too short to be a setlist anorak, let alone be concerned about them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 16:10 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:08

If you like Charlie's drums, just go to the show and he'll show you how the rockin' beat really is.
Charlie was really good tonight. He played so heavy on "Midnight Rambler," "Honky Tonk Women" and "Paint It Black."
I have never been experienced such an earth rumbling and extra bass drum sound on records or DVDs.
He stole the show in somewhat.
He changed his beat to jazzy at the break of "Midnight Rambler," that was interesting.

Mick Taylor was definitely adding some values on recent Stones.
He was a secret ingredient for the band.
I feel Taylor's joint provided a good performance of Ronnie, a better atmosphere and good tension.
They fused together to bring heavy rocking sounds.
I've been taught from "Midnight Rambler " tonight that 2 plus 1 equals 5 or 6 and above.
Especially, Mick Taylor's fingers played so fast on his lead part. That's awesome!

We became strained when the staff forgot to bring microphone to Keith when he started to sing "Ruby Tuesday."smiling smiley
But we went wild when Keith said "glad to be back. like home" before singing "Before They Make Me Run."

All the people young and old were shouting together "Brown Sugar!" What a thrilling sight!
And as always, all crowds' jaw dropped when Mick was running down the ramp from end to end on this song.

Incidentally,
I looked over my diary today.
I found out that this is my 23rd Stones show in Tokyo Dome out of 28 times,
except for other venues such as Budokan, Kemper Arena, Soldier Field etc.
Not bad batting average.
The Rolling Stones has played over 600 songs in Tokyo Dome alone.
For myself, the memorable 500th song was "Gimme Shelter" of today.

Among them are "2000 Light Years in 1990", "Love In Vain in 1995", "Star Star, Crazy Mama and Memory Motel in 1998",
"When the Whip Comes Down and Mannish Boy in 2003", "Sway and Ain't Too Proud to Beg in 2006" and "Silver Train in 2014."
I was always stunned by these brilliant songs.
Everything got started since they played "Start Me Up" on Feb 14 in 1990.
And they have finished the show by "Satisfaction" tonight.

At this moment, I can't imagine if they will come to Tokyo Dome again.
However, my heart is filled with many good emotions.
There would be no more rock band like Stones.
I'll be thinking of you guys till the next time we say Sayonara.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:09

A friend of mine who went to all three shows said they were on absolute fire (excuse the pun)...for all three shows. Lot of love from the crowd and the Stones gave it back to them. Exactly what the shows should now be about.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:16

DandelionPowderman

We keep on hoping. Taylor never played in Japan with the Stones before, but in Aussieland they still remember him from Februari 1973 and so do we here in Europe remember autumn 73. But I won't be surprised at all if they'll do the same thing in Australia and Europe as they did in AD and Tokyo.

Btw: what's that for kinda nonsense, to say that Knocking and Rambler in one show is too much? Too much of the good? It can never be too good!

Date: March 6, 2014 16:19

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

We keep on hoping. Taylor never played in Japan with the Stones before, but in Aussieland they still remember him from Februari 1973 and so do we here in Europe remember autumn 73. But I won't be surprised at all if they'll do the same thing in Australia and Europe as they did in AD and Tokyo.

Btw: what's that for kinda nonsense, to say that Knocking and Rambler in one show is too much? Too much of the good? It can never be too good!

I'm not saying it, but I suspect they might be THINKING it smiling smiley

I think the Euro setlist will be (very) different, as they have played here recently.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:20

Thanks for the setlist updates Irix and for the reports from inside guys!

@Toru A - can you clarify what you meant by Mick Taylor soloing on SA during the second show as we couldn't really hear him on the (pretty low quality) full recording? Was he playing the same solo along with Keith? Also which was it that thumbed up and congratulated Keith after the song, Taylor I presume? Thanks!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:24

straycatuk
Yes Gazza, I'm saddened by the lack of variety here as this is the only multi night stop on the tour. The main problem appears to be the cutting down of the set to 19 songs.........again . Leaves no room for swapping about some interesting non-warhorses.

Don't bode well for Europe as most of that will be 1 night per country !

sc uk

Could be worse I suppose. At least they finally dropped that filler "One More Shot". Doesn't seem like anyone, even the hardcore Vegas fans, miss it ... smiling smiley

Date: March 6, 2014 16:25

I miss it!

Date: March 6, 2014 16:29

Toru A
If you like Charlie's drums, just go to the show and he'll show you how the rockin' beat really is.
Charlie was really good tonight. He played so heavy on "Midnight Rambler," "Honky Tonk Women" and "Paint It Black."
I have never been experienced such an earth rumbling and extra bass drum sound on records or DVDs.
He stole the show in somewhat.
He changed his beat to jazzy at the break of "Midnight Rambler," that was interesting.

Mick Taylor was definitely adding some values on recent Stones.
He was a secret ingredient for the band.
I feel Taylor's joint provided a good performance of Ronnie, a better atmosphere and good tension.
They fused together to bring heavy rocking sounds.
I've been taught from "Midnight Rambler " tonight that 2 plus 1 equals 5 or 6 and above.
Especially, Mick Taylor's fingers played so fast on his lead part. That's awesome!

We became strained when the staff forgot to bring microphone to Keith when he started to sing "Ruby Tuesday."smiling smiley
But we went wild when Keith said "glad to be back. like home" before singing "Before They Make Me Run."

All the people young and old were shouting together "Brown Sugar!" What a thrilling sight!
And as always, all crowds' jaw dropped when Mick was running down the ramp from end to end on this song.

Incidentally,
I looked over my diary today.
I found out that this is my 23rd Stones show in Tokyo Dome out of 28 times,
except for other venues such as Budokan, Kemper Arena, Soldier Field etc.
Not bad batting average.
The Rolling Stones has played over 600 songs in Tokyo Dome alone.
For myself, the memorable 500th song was "Gimme Shelter" of today.

Among them are "2000 Light Years in 1990", "Love In Vain in 1995", "Star Star, Crazy Mama and Memory Motel in 1998",
"When the Whip Comes Down and Mannish Boy in 2003", "Sway and Ain't Too Proud to Beg in 2006" and "Silver Train in 2014."
I was always stunned by these brilliant songs.
Everything got started since they played "Start Me Up" on Feb 14 in 1990.
And they have finished the show by "Satisfaction" tonight.

At this moment, I can't imagine if they will come to Tokyo Dome again.
However, my heart is filled with many good emotions.
There would be no more rock band like Stones.
I'll be thinking of you guys till the next time we say Sayonara.

Thanks for your great emotional review!

Posted by: MRAmandaJones ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:34

Jan Richards
MRAmandaJones
I precise that's not a critic, but a fact.

They play the same great songs each night on stage. On rehearsals they are just their own garage band and they can just for fun play stuff that they never do live, otherwise rehearsals may get boring to them.
Most of the rare stuff done in Paris will never go outside of the rehearsals.

And about the setlist tonight, absolutely great. Just think about it, like 8-9 of the greatest rocksongs ever made in the history of rock music and performed on the same night by a band who originally made them? Will you ever see another concert / band do that?

You may be right.

The fact is that, nowaydays, no hard-core fans can ignore the songs that are rehearsed by the Stones. And these fans are excited because the band rehearse "shine a light", "silver train", "love in vain","loving cup" etc.

But, maybe you're right; there's a confusion: people think that these gems are rehearsed for the tour, but in fact the Stones just play these tunes for "fun".

Don't know...

Date: March 6, 2014 16:35

DandelionPowderman
I miss it!

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! LOL.... Oh Dandy what are we gonna do with you? I spoke too soon... smiling smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:42

It's not easy to shoot video at Tokyo Dome cause if they see you, they tell you to stop.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 16:43 by drbryant.

Date: March 6, 2014 16:47

MRAmandaJones
Jan Richards
MRAmandaJones
I precise that's not a critic, but a fact.

They play the same great songs each night on stage. On rehearsals they are just their own garage band and they can just for fun play stuff that they never do live, otherwise rehearsals may get boring to them.
Most of the rare stuff done in Paris will never go outside of the rehearsals.

You may be right.

The fact is that, nowaydays, no hard-core fans can ignore the songs that are rehearsed by the Stones. And these fans are excited because the band rehearse "shine a light", "silver train", "love in vain","loving cup" etc.

But, maybe you're right; there's a confusion: people think that these gems are rehearsed for the tour, but in fact the Stones just play these tunes for "fun".

Don't know...

There seem to be some knowledgeable fans there in Tokyo though, doesn't there? Holding up signs for Mick Taylor and "I Can Feel the Fire" (bet that wasn't a coincidence...) and another for Lisa as well. Have to believe they could skip a warhorse or two, or three even, and all the fans in attendance could go home just as happy - just like they do for Bruce, or Neil Young or anyone else. Of course Jagger gets those empty stares from the crowd when he's putting all his energy into flogging something like "Terrifying".... I'm sure they could do better with Heart Breaker or Hot Stuff etc...

Date: March 6, 2014 16:48

SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
I miss it!

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! LOL.... Oh Dandy what are we gonna do with you? I spoke too soon... smiling smiley

I'm hereby shouting for backup by the rest of the One More Shot-Army! grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1103
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home