Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 12
Another Stones Album - your opinion
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 2, 2013 09:30

The World Doesn't Need Another Stones Album

The record buying public as a whole are not really interested, the band themselves don't seem to be interested. Whilst I don't think A Bigger Bang is as bad as some people on here make it out to be I don't think they have the energy or the motivation to do anything better that will do them justice. Who would they be doing a new album for? A small collection of obsessives who once they had the thrill of unwrapping the album would then tear it to pieces after the first listen and proclaim it to b a dud.

If they have any inspiration then they should just let tracks out as they come via itunes but the days of them being able or willing to produce a cohesive album that can stand next to their body of work are gone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 22:16 by bv.

Re: The World Doesn't Need Another Stones Album
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 2, 2013 09:33

....that's it keep us all livin' in the world of reissues....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 2, 2013 09:36

BlackHat
Who would they be doing a new album for?

For themselves, because they want it.
And for me of course smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 2, 2013 09:57

BlackHat
The record buying public as a whole are not really interested,

Wrong!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 2, 2013 09:58

BlackHat
The record buying public as a whole are not really interested...Who would they be doing a new album for? A small collection of obsessives.

I doubt that there is a single artist who does records for "the record buying public." What is "the record buying public" anyway and what do they buy then? Tell me, because I have no idea.

It is always the fans of an artist who buy most of his/her records. Of course, there are people who are not die hard fans who would buy it too. But there is no such thing as "the record buying public." And to call the large Rolling Stones' fan base "a small collection of obsessives." is offensive. The Rolling Stones' fans are no more "obsessed" than any other fans of any other artist and they are definitely not a "small collection." Which artist does have a large collection of non-obsessive fans according to you then?

Who would they make the album for? Who is Roger Daltrey (just for instance, I could pick many other artists, but he's been discussed here recently) doing his solo album for? Does he have a huge fanbase, unlike The Stones? No, yet he obviously sees the reason and that is great.

BlackHat
If they have any inspiration then they should just let tracks out as they come via iTunes...

I want to throw up when I see a crap like that. I for myself will never buy ANYTHING that will only come out in such a throwaway form. If the artist doesn't care to even make it a "real" product, I won't care to pay my money for it (that I have to earn by doing "real products" ) and I will download it for free (which I am generally against) without a shadow of a bad conscience. Or I won't even care to do that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 10:02 by Happy24.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 2, 2013 10:05

I think if they would take enough time and put some serious effort they could make a decent record, not a new absolute classic but still they could make a great record, but they should concentrate on actual song writing more, just create good song drafts with acoustic guitars and a real piano, then make it electric but not overproduce it, Jagger should try to sing naturally like he used to in 60s and 70s. And I still think they can make (although not very probable) a new classic Stones single on a par with Start me Up if they really work on it and all the stars are on right position... Anyway Mick Taylor should be invited to play guitar parts on several tracks.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 2, 2013 10:15

...what albums do we need then?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 2, 2013 10:34

Happy24
Who is Roger Daltrey doing his solo album for? he obviously sees the reason

Roger is doing it for himself, because he likes (or rather needs) to keep busy, and it appears that Mr. Townshend in recent years has a set limit on how much work he is willing to put into The Who, and it appears he is unwilling to oblige Roger and return to the studio. Because what will Roger want to do once the album is recorded? Get back out on the road with it, of course. If Roger had his way, The Who would do an album and a tour every year, or at least every other year, he is that committed to keeping himself busy.

You'd have to ask Mick Jagger why there has been no new Stones album since 2005. In the last year he has publicly acknowledged that fans don't respond well to new material they try out onstage, and I witnessed that firsthand this year with the lukewarm reception the two new songs received. Part of the blame should go to the "oldies" mentality of their concert audience.

It doesn't matter whether some people want to debate the finer points of whether or not "the world does/doesn't need another Stones album"; the issue is whether or not Mick feels it's worthwhile. Mick, as does Roger Daltrey, likes to keep busy, but also, like Pete Townshend, he seems reticent to advance the band creatively with fresh material and is content now to just play live and celebrate the old songs. Pete Townshend once came to the realization that he realized his band had some great songs, so why not just celebrate them, because he knew he was never going to surpass them. Maybe Mick feels the same way, maybe not, maybe there are other issues at work. One thing's for sure--his creative songwriting energy is being spent elsewhere, first with SuperHeavy and then recently this year in the studio with Joe Walsh and friends.

As of 8 years since the last album, there has been no word of plans for The Stones to book time in the studio, otherwise we here would have heard about it.

At this point a new Stones album would be more a novelty than anything else. They used to churn them out regularly, even in their middle age. But they will never recapture and sustain the momentum they once had as recording artists, and perhaps Mick feels it is no longer worthwhile that The Stones attempt to compete on that level.

Mick is busy with his production project, Woodie will soon be busy again with gigs here and there, Bobby Keys is back on the road with his band, Charlie Watts is happy being off the road and free from the band, Keith is busy with not being busy, and that takes care of the last months of 2013.

This year, just before the Hyde Park shows, Mick was asked about a new album. He answered that he would like to, at some point. Kind of a vague answer. He didn't say, Yes, we will do, he just said that he would like to, at some point. So that indicates there are no definite plans. Certainly not the work ethic they once seemed to embody.

Perhaps we should just come to the realization about The Stones that Pete Townshend came to about The Who: that they have a lot of great songs and that they should just celebrate them, and that frankly, at this point, they will never be able to surpass them.

So we should just save up for the next round of shows and just be grateful that they are still around to help us celebrate all those great songs.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: September 2, 2013 10:40

Aquamarine
BlackHat

Wrong!

No, right!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 2, 2013 11:02

Vocalion
Aquamarine
BlackHat

Wrong!

No, right!

No, still wrong! grinning smiley

I saw/heard lots of people singing along with Doom and Gloom, and I think there would be great interest in an album of new Stones material. Plus Mick isn't the only guy in the band (an essential one, obviously). I'm not saying THEY necessarily have any interest in doing it, and if they do I would hope it would be just because they want to create new music. I AM saying that (especially after so many people just saw them live, and so many still hope to) the record-buying public would love some good new music from them. It's not that people on previous tours didn't like the new material because it was new, the songs just weren't as interesting as the much-maligned "warhorses." But I thought the last two new songs were really promising, personally.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 2, 2013 14:11

Aquamarine
Vocalion
Aquamarine
BlackHat

Wrong!

No, right!

No, still wrong! grinning smiley

I saw/heard lots of people singing along with Doom and Gloom, and I think there would be great interest in an album of new Stones material...

No, still right! Some "people singing along", and the "record buying public", are (by far) two completely different things. They will never be adding many new fans in this day. And to compensate for the lack of "buying public", too many bands like the Stones now try to release new stuff in ridiculously over-priced packages -- its attempt to make up for the lack of "record buying public", i.e. a way to make up the loss of sales by making your loyal fans pay more. Then they learn to steal/download it since many of the loyal fans don't want to spend on the over-priced packages.

If they do it again, it should be as someone stated above, for their own love of creating music. One thing they haven't learned in all their years -- when you don't care at all about making extra money and just do it for the love, that will come across in the released product, and that is when people will enjoy it more and thus be willing to spend more, and then you do make more money.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 2, 2013 14:25

WHO IS RECORDING, AND WHAT FOR?

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 2, 2013 15:08

Closest thing to a RS album this year will be the project Joe Walsh is working on. About Mick cooperation on the project he said: "He brought in a song and he played great harmonica and we wrote a song. Don Was is producing and hopefully... end of the year."

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 2, 2013 15:27

Maybe the world doesn't but I do!!!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: September 2, 2013 15:35

Very often when the Rolling Stones release an album of new songs it is a project part of a bigger project; touring and playing all over the world. We know they don't want to embark on a huge tour so the need to create a new album isn't there anymore. I'll be happy if they record a new album but I don't think that is going to happen.
But in the future, we could get new albums by each one of them as a result.I would like that too.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 2, 2013 15:40

Tough to take a thread serious when the word "whilst" is employed. On to the next topic.....

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 2, 2013 15:43

Please speak for yourself. I need a new album, and I am sure it will sell more than a million. And they will have Mick Taylor as guest guitarist. Not bad for a change. And they will tour it next year. Which would mean Mick Taylor will be with them on more songs on stage.

Bjornulf

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 2, 2013 15:50

bv
Please speak for yourself. I need a new album, and I am sure it will sell more than a million. And they will have Mick Taylor as guest guitarist. Not bad for a change. And they will tour it next year. Which would mean Mick Taylor will be with them on more songs on stage.

+1

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 2, 2013 15:51

Threadstarter, I strongly dislike your view, but this is one of those posts that pop up from time to time that tastes of truth. I prefer bv`s view.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 2, 2013 15:55

Thanks for the good news, Bjornulf!

Of course I don't really NEED a new album, but I very much want one...and a new tour, with Mick Taylor, and archive releases, and some great new tour shirts...I want it all.

But, I'll be happy with what I get, or at least try to be. grinning smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 2, 2013 16:06

LeonidP
Aquamarine
Vocalion
Aquamarine
BlackHat

Wrong!

No, right!

No, still wrong!

No, still right!

No No, still wrong! ... funny game BTW smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 2, 2013 16:08

Looking forward to the album!

Some of you guys who don't want a new album shouldn't really speak on behalf of "the world" grinning smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 2, 2013 16:09

Rolling Hansie
BlackHat
Who would they be doing a new album for?

For themselves, because they want it.

This is the only relevant point. This is why there has been been virtually nothing new from them as a group in years and years and why there will not be a new one. They don't want it. If there is a new one, it will be because the money offered is so overwhelming as to overcome their desire not to be with each other. That was why we had the recent tour, and why the expexcted Euro tour is not hapoening: in one case enough money, in the other not.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: September 2, 2013 17:07

but the world does

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 2, 2013 17:18

I don't know what the world needs, but I would be very pleased to hear something new (blues-focused, MT rejoined) ...

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: September 2, 2013 17:21

I look forward to something new from the Stones to, NEW stuff. They can do it to. Only if Mick and Keith would work together if they want to. It could be a really good album.

drummer_dude

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 2, 2013 17:46

Why the revisionist history? A Bigger Bang was a critical and commercial success. Rolling Stone Magazine named it their album of the year and it received very favorable reviews. And, as I recall, discussions here were largely positive. Sales wise, it was top 5 in every major market, and topped the charts in quite a few. Takes more than a "few obsessives" to put up numbers like that. Basically, for the past 50 years, every new Stones studio album has charted very well - , I see no reason to expect any different if they put out one last album

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 2, 2013 18:00

bv

Fantastic news - saving money for next year. My yearly Brazil trip will be planned in accordance to the Buenos Aires consert.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 2, 2013 18:13

drbryant
Why the revisionist history? A Bigger Bang was a critical and commercial success. Rolling Stone Magazine named it their album of the year and it received very favorable reviews. And, as I recall, discussions here were largely positive. Sales wise, it was top 5 in every major market, and topped the charts in quite a few. Takes more than a "few obsessives" to put up numbers like that. Basically, for the past 50 years, every new Stones studio album has charted very well - , I see no reason to expect any different if they put out one last album

All that and if they actually involve MT this is going to be very interesting.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 2, 2013 18:33

(1) "the band themselves don't seem to be interested..."

How do you know? According the recent info it seems like they are interested.

(2) "The record buying public as a whole are not really interested..."

Well, the "record bying public" is continually waning of course. But, proportionately, the band remains a stable "album seller". Their last studio album (BTW, "ABB" is a really good album IMHO) have sold 2,600,000 copies. Good number for the 2005-06 meausures, considering among other factors the fact that ABB stayed for two weeks at #1 of the Global Chart and four or five (i cannot remember correctly) weeks on the Top 10 of the particular chart. And recently "Grrr!", an expensive 3 CD set, another one Stones compilation that includes only two new songs, sold very good too.

Ultimately, the most important thing is how many people are taking an interest in new Stones stuff, regardless of their method (i mean buying an album from a store or downloading). "Doom and Gloom" has already over 9,000,000 views on Youtube and i don't think this number shows lack of interest. Not at all...

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2373
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home