Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12
Re: The World Doesn't Need Another Stones Album
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 3, 2013 18:38

The World Doesn't Need Another Stones Album

The world, and all youthe Milie Cirus/crap music sound lovers, may not want another
Rolling Stones album, but I WOULD LOVE to buy and listen to some new Stones album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-03 18:40 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 3, 2013 19:01

You might declare me naive or mad or both. However, my dream is in fact that Mick Taylor would inspire each one of the band to really want to add to what will become a late classic Rolling Stones album, after a solid workout in the studio of the first presented song ideas. That songs from this album will feature profusely in setlists by virtue of genuine interest for the new songs, and that those new songs will revitalize their live song material.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 3, 2013 19:23

Aquamarine
Gazza

The Stones really do appear to have a unique audience demographic in the music industry as they appear to be pretty much the only band in the world whose concert audience have to a large extent next to no interest in their music. Despite the fact that to be a part of that concert audience requiers more financial sacrifice than is the case for any other live act on the planet. I suppose you could argue that this is a consequence of a ticket pricing policy which excludes so many of what could be or used to be their fanbase.

This all seems dubious logic to me. But more to the point, what really is unique about their audience demographic is that on a forum of their own fans, threads are being made and supported that dissuade the band that people allegedly love from putting out new music. Then there are the people who want them to retire and never play again at all. Based on other music forums I've belonged or still belong to, this is a jaw-dropping phenomenon.

Well, if youre trying to lump me into any of those categories, you couldnt be more wrong. I actually like their 'recent' albums (I use inverted commas because they're not really recent at all anymore) and they're playing well enough to justify their continued existence as a performing act. (had you asked me that prior to seeing the 02 shows in November though I'd have had some doubts, admittedly). I would however question their level of inspiration. I'd love a new album, but I think I'm more keen on it than the band are. The idea of a Stones in 2013 being an expensive nostalgia act isn't that appealing artistically.

And no, the Stones are not unique in having an element of their fanbase who think they should no longer a) perform or b) make new music as they're concerned that the quality of both is someway below the standards theyve sent over the years and potentially damaging to their legacy. I see that on Dylan forums too. (I dont agree with that theory either). I'm sure there are numerous other examples (read any Chuck Berry thread on here and you'll see the same thing). The fact is that in any fanbase and especially one of an act with a half century musical history, there are always going to be parts of that history that do not appeal to everyone. Personally, I think Satanic Majesties is garbage, the 1976 tour was largely unlistenable and the band's policy in recent years of gouging their fans at almost every opportunity is morally indefensible - but it didnt stop me going to dozens of shows over the last 30 years and collecting pretty much every new release that I can get my hands on.

To get back to the thread title, the only question thats relevant is do the Stones need another Stones album? Three albums - THREE!!! - in the last 24 years (and counting) would suggest that they clearly don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-03 19:26 by Gazza.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 3, 2013 20:07

89-13: 4 cd's stones
90-13: 4 cd's Acdc

So, you could continue with other older bands. No excuse, but I guess that's life.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 3, 2013 20:24

Gazza
Aquamarine
Gazza

The Stones really do appear to have a unique audience demographic in the music industry as they appear to be pretty much the only band in the world whose concert audience have to a large extent next to no interest in their music. Despite the fact that to be a part of that concert audience requiers more financial sacrifice than is the case for any other live act on the planet. I suppose you could argue that this is a consequence of a ticket pricing policy which excludes so many of what could be or used to be their fanbase.

This all seems dubious logic to me. But more to the point, what really is unique about their audience demographic is that on a forum of their own fans, threads are being made and supported that dissuade the band that people allegedly love from putting out new music. Then there are the people who want them to retire and never play again at all. Based on other music forums I've belonged or still belong to, this is a jaw-dropping phenomenon.

Well, if youre trying to lump me into any of those categories, you couldnt be more wrong. I actually like their 'recent' albums (I use inverted commas because they're not really recent at all anymore) and they're playing well enough to justify their continued existence as a performing act. (had you asked me that prior to seeing the 02 shows in November though I'd have had some doubts, admittedly). I would however question their level of inspiration. I'd love a new album, but I think I'm more keen on it than the band are. The idea of a Stones in 2013 being an expensive nostalgia act isn't that appealing artistically.

And no, the Stones are not unique in having an element of their fanbase who think they should no longer a) perform or b) make new music as they're concerned that the quality of both is someway below the standards theyve sent over the years and potentially damaging to their legacy. I see that on Dylan forums too. (I dont agree with that theory either). I'm sure there are numerous other examples (read any Chuck Berry thread on here and you'll see the same thing). The fact is that in any fanbase and especially one of an act with a half century musical history, there are always going to be parts of that history that do not appeal to everyone. Personally, I think Satanic Majesties is garbage, the 1976 tour was largely unlistenable and the band's policy in recent years of gouging their fans at almost every opportunity is morally indefensible - but it didnt stop me going to dozens of shows over the last 30 years and collecting pretty much every new release that I can get my hands on.

To get back to the thread title, the only question thats relevant is do the Stones need another Stones album? Three albums - THREE!!! - in the last 24 years (and counting) would suggest that they clearly don't.

Not trying to lump you in with anything, mate. My only reference to your post was the first statement about what seemed to me to be dubious logic.

Since you mention it, though, I've seen that on Dylan forums too. But nothing like the negativity I've seen here.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 3, 2013 20:27

Anyone get The Who's most recent album?

I know plenty of Stones fans who opted to not get A BIGGER BANG because they felt burned by buying STEEL WHEELS or VOODOO LOUNGE. What they heard on the radio etc certainly did not influence them to 'get it anyway'. New albums are just not necessary anymore by the Stones for the common 'record buying public'.

If you want to look at it that way.

Hell yes I'd get their new album if they put one out. Doesn't mean it would be good, bad, great or horrible. That's beside the point. I'd get it because I'm a fan. But for the Hot Rocks kind of Stones fans, they ain't gonna bother.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 3, 2013 21:46

"No need to write a new album"
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 3, 2013 22:08

How many people at Hyde Park 1 and 2 have Grrr? A large % (but obviously can't be specific)? What % of those who own Grrr would buy a new album?

And the fact is that there are a large number of people on this forum who do nothing but slate the post 1981 output without exception.

So, the vast majority of those who can still afford to go to a Stones concert are quite content with Grrr and wouldn't bother with a new album. And a significant number of Stones obsessives would immediately declare the album to be a dud due to the fact that it's not Exile, features Chuck etc. So, on that basis I raise the question - who actually wants this thing?

But if the Stones want to do it then great. And I will buy it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 3, 2013 22:56

Aquamarine
LeonidP

Some "people singing along", and the "record buying public", are (by far) two completely different things. They will never be adding many new fans in this day.

They don't need to. The Stones have a huge record/CD-buying fan-base. Nearly all of my friends own Stones albums, even if very few of them went to shows on the last tour due to $$$, and none of them belong to Stones forums. Their last new single did really well and got major radio play.

Didn't think it needed to be clarified, but what I meant is that they will never be dominating the charts like they did back in the 60s/70s, no matter what they did now.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 3, 2013 23:18

GasLightStreet
Hell yes I'd get their new album if they put one out. Doesn't mean it would be good, bad, great or horrible. That's beside the point. I'd get it because I'm a fan. But for the Hot Rocks kind of Stones fans, they ain't gonna bother.

So, you're a 'Hot Rocks' kind of fan (now a GRRRR fan I guess), if you don't expect a future Stones album to be artistically satisfying? Things have changed. Who knows what I would have done with A Bigger Bang if I'd had I-Tunes and Amazon downloading services in 2005. I might have sampled all the tunes there, or on YouTube. In the end I probably would have downloaded 4 or five songs at the most. I know with the recent Hyde Park album I downloaded 4 songs, two of which I'll probably never listen to again.

I used to be clawing at the record shop window for them to open up when there was a new Stones release. That hasn't happened since 1981. Undercover and Dirty Work really put me off. But if there was a new Stones album I would definitely download only individual songs if it was cheaper that way, and if there were only a few songs worth listening to more than once. I pray for a great album, but if the last 20 years are prologue....

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 3, 2013 23:20

It's amazing how many join a forum just to bash the Stones. I don't want to hear things like "well we love em so much we just want the best out of them". It's miserable people just being miserable.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 3, 2013 23:29

More Hot Rocks
It's amazing how many join a forum just to bash the Stones. I don't want to hear things like "well we love em so much we just want the best out of them". It's miserable people just being miserable.

No, it's just expressing a thought. If a new album comes out I hope it's great and I will buy it.

But some people on this forum are like geriatric Justin Bieber fans with a cyclops view of the world. Or put another way a one party state.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 3, 2013 23:43

BlackHat
More Hot Rocks

No, it's just expressing a thought. If a new album comes out I hope it's great and I will buy it.

But some people on this forum are like geriatric Justin Bieber fans with a cyclops view of the world. Or put another way a one party state.

There's truth to that. It's almost sinful to admit you might not buy a live album, greatest hits set, BluRay/DVD, etc. to some on here. I'm not that way regarding new studio stuff, but the new live releases aren't near as interesting to me. Anybody can watch clips of most any show online, and the "cleaned up" mastering to me is less interesting than raw aud/vid that fans shoot. The Stones aren't at a place where my money matters to them anymore. Now archive shows are a different story. But, if buying every single officially released thing they put out makes you a better fan, I guess I fall short.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 4, 2013 00:11

GasLightStreet
Anyone get The Who's most recent album?

I did, and I still think it's great.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 4, 2013 00:39

Whom can call themself a Stones fan, listen to this fun new
song and whine that they dont want more new Stones music? eye rolling smiley

It simply makes me jones for more from the greatest band ever.

PS
FKG CRANK IT UP!!! AND DANCE AROUND!!!!

Date: September 4, 2013 01:29

mtaylor
89-13: 4 cd's stones
90-13: 4 cd's Acdc

So, you could continue with other older bands. No excuse, but I guess that's life.

During that same time span AC/DC released a killer box set, two DVD sets of all their videos, two live albums and a slew of live videos.

So both bands have done some pretty cool things in the same time span. The Stones have certainly toured more.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 4, 2013 01:30

Witness
You might declare me naive or mad or both.

I would never do such a thing

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 4, 2013 01:36

BlackHat
More Hot Rocks
It's miserable people just being miserable.

No, it's just expressing a thought.

I just forgot what my thought was, so I can't express it. I am getting too old for this shit.

-------------------

Date: September 4, 2013 01:37

24FPS
GasLightStreet

So, you're a 'Hot Rocks' kind of fan (now a GRRRR fan I guess), if you don't expect a future Stones album to be artistically satisfying? Things have changed. Who knows what I would have done with A Bigger Bang if I'd had I-Tunes and Amazon downloading services in 2005. I might have sampled all the tunes there, or on YouTube. In the end I probably would have downloaded 4 or five songs at the most. I know with the recent Hyde Park album I downloaded 4 songs, two of which I'll probably never listen to again.

I used to be clawing at the record shop window for them to open up when there was a new Stones release. That hasn't happened since 1981. Undercover and Dirty Work really put me off. But if there was a new Stones album I would definitely download only individual songs if it was cheaper that way, and if there were only a few songs worth listening to more than once. I pray for a great album, but if the last 20 years are prologue....

No I'm not a Hot Rocks or whatever kind of fan (goddamn hell NO I'll never be a GRRRR fan!) if I don't find a future album to be artistically satisfying. Not sure what makes you say that.

I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Date: September 4, 2013 01:38

Rolling Hansie
I just forgot what my thought was, so I can't express it. I am getting too old for this shit.

Now I remember ...
I really would like a new Stones Album

-------------------

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 4, 2013 01:42

GasLightStreet
24FPS
GasLightStreet

No I'm not a Hot Rocks or whatever kind of fan (goddamn hell NO I'll never be a GRRRR fan!) if I don't find a future album to be artistically satisfying. Not sure what makes you say that.

I guess I'm a GRRR kind of fan as I pretty much like every song on it...50 and 80 song versions.

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: September 4, 2013 01:53

I always hoped the Stones would release an album of all their <country flavored> tracks or simply an album of originals and/or covers.
Greatest rock'n'roll Band in the World!!!!!!!

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: September 4, 2013 02:14

The Stones are no longer relevant to a younger audience. Oh sure, you see smiling faced blondes with finger-paint makeup in the front row, but they are not jamming out to BS when the cameras are turned off and the festival is over.

The Stones could be relevant with new material, maybe, if they start appealing to the geriatric set that they are now in. Playing retirement communities in Florida, etc. I could see this as a lucrative market to tap into.

But as long as MJ keeps pulling 30 year olds, he's going to try (futilely) to gain that age group's attention. However, most 25-30 year olds have more relevant things to listen to, among their own age group. I don't enjoy their music, but historically we see that generations move on. To a great degree, music is no longer music—melodically speaking anyway. I don't get it, but I'm old.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 4, 2013 02:20

paulm, were all those teenagers at Glastonbury and Hyde Park, to name three concerts just there to fill in time?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 4, 2013 03:50

paulm
But as long as MJ keeps pulling 30 year olds, he's going to try (futilely) to gain that age group's attention. However, most 25-30 year olds have more relevant things to listen to, among their own age group. I don't enjoy their music, but historically we see that generations move on. To a great degree, music is no longer music—melodically speaking anyway. I don't get it, but I'm old.

I don't think I understand what you mean by "relevant." Are we only supposed to listen to music played by our own age group? Because apart from the Stones, most of the bands I go see are in their 20s and 30s--which I'm not, but I'm usually not the oldest person in the audience, either. We're just there to listen to the music, what's it supposed to be relevant to? Why is music by definition age-oriented?

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 4, 2013 05:25

I hope the Stones put out a new album just to spite everyone, LOL!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 4, 2013 06:02

Spiting anyone and everyone is what The Stones have been about for over 50 years now (and counting).

Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 4, 2013 06:07

Max'sKansasCity
Whom can call themself a Stones fan, listen to this fun new
song and whine that they dont want more new Stones music? eye rolling smiley It simply makes me jones for more from the greatest band ever.

PS
FKG CRANK IT UP!!! AND DANCE AROUND!!!!

I am looking forward to a new album but if you did that same post referencing One More Shot (Take It So Hard Part 2) would you still be "jonesing" as much?

We all love the Stones differently. Some who have been to over 100 shows don't even have all of their studio albums and others who have all of them and never been to see them. Who's the better Stones fan???

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 4, 2013 06:10

GasLightStreet
24FPS
GasLightStreet

Sigh. GasStreetLight, I meant that you were calling people, like me, a 'Hot Rocks Fan', not you. Actually I'm more of a 'More Hot Rocks (big hits & fazed cookies)' kind of Stones fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-04 06:20 by 24FPS.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 4, 2013 06:17

The World Doesn't Need Another Stones Album

Bollox!

What the world needs Now, is love sweet love.....

and a new Stones album!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home