Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12
Re: The World Doesn't Need Another Stones Album
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2013 04:08

DandelionPowderman
A new album will be great. Can't wait for the feeling when the needle drops down on the first brand new Stones track.

Can't beat that feeling! thumbs up

What if it's a digital recording put to vinyl so suckers think it sounds better?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 21, 2013 04:11

What if it's a digital recording put to vinyl so suckers think it sounds better?

......Yep that's what's happening .... but the covers look mighty fine

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 21, 2013 04:17

GasLightStreet
LongBeachArena72
The world didn't need new albums by Bowie, Dylan, or Elton, either.

But because those musicians are still driven to create new music, we have THE NEXT DAY, TEMPEST, and DIVING BOARD.

I daresay that one of those artists was under any illusion that their new shit would sell at Miley Cyrus levels ... but they released records because that's what they do.

The world will not see another Stones album until the Stones decide they have something to say ... and until they don't give a shit whether anyone wants to hear it.

Have you heard Bowie's LP? It's good. Real good. Certainly not what one would expect. I don't think it's so much of having something to say, I think it's just saying whatever and meaning it. With albums that aren't over 55 minutes long too. The Stones are not solo artists though. Huge catalogue - it's not like anyone is clamoring for something new. What do you think got more press?

Don't Stop
A BIGGER BANG
Plundered My Soul
EXILE reissue + extras
No Spare Parts
SOME GIRLS reissue + extras
Doom And Gloom
GRRRR
One More Shot

ABB

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: September 21, 2013 04:20

Aquamarine
MileHigh
No new Stones album is fine with me. It's a young man's and young woman's game to sell lots of albums and downloads.

The logic of this totally escapes me.

Absolutely. If in the 60s we loved those bands made of artists born in the 1890s, why should it be different now?

Date: September 21, 2013 04:20

treaclefingers
Doxa
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
The record buying public as a whole are not really interested, the band themselves don't seem to be interested. Whilst I don't think A Bigger Bang is as bad as some people on here make it out to be I don't think they have the energy or the motivation to do anything better that will do them justice. Who would they be doing a new album for? A small collection of obsessives who once they had the thrill of unwrapping the album would then tear it to pieces after the first listen and proclaim it to b a dud.

If they have any inspiration then they should just let tracks out as they come via itunes but the days of them being able or willing to produce a cohesive album that can stand next to their body of work are gone.

I think you are right after all. If they had any interest at all in making new music together they would be doing so at this very moment. Instead, it's back to business as usual. Once again they have scattered to the four winds. Even if they do decide to do something down the road I think they will find that their window of opportunity has closed on them. So, correct, no new album and probably no more shows. Time to move on.

eye popping smiley JJOLantern, what has happened to you???!!!eye popping smiley

- Doxa

slight chemical imbalance...that's what happens when you don't stick to the schedule for your meds!

I think the Stones have driven us all a little crazy. The question is, is it a good crazy, or a bad crazy? For me personally, it is probably leaning more towards the bad so there is no better time than now for me to move on. I devoted the last three years of my life to millionaires who only know me by my user name on a chat forum devoted to them. Despite that I am confident that I played a small role in inspiring them to come back for One More Shot. I will always look back at these past three years as a magical time in my life, but where one door closes, another opens. At least that has been the case for me throughout my many many years in this reality.

Date: September 21, 2013 04:36

There is no better time than now for you to move on.

What, do you carry a Xerox machine around with you? How many more times are you going to say it's as good a time as any to "move on"? The millionaires don't "know" you. Your confidence, as usual, is only misleading to you.

Hang around, you and yours, all those names, your own quotings and discussions with yourself. What would iorr.org do without you?

Ohhhh nevermind, it's done just fine without you.

Date: September 21, 2013 04:45

GasLightStreet
There is no better time than now for you to move on.

What, do you carry a Xerox machine around with you? How many more times are you going to say it's as good a time as any to "move on"? The millionaires don't "know" you. Your confidence, as usual, is only misleading to you.

Hang around, you and yours, all those names, your own quotings and discussions with yourself. What would iorr.org do without you?

Ohhhh nevermind, it's done just fine without you.

I have no doubt that IORR will continue on despite the fact that the Stones are more than likely finished. People are still talking about Elvis and he has been dead for 36 years. I have no doubt that this forum will survive long after the Stones are gone. smileys with beer

Date: September 21, 2013 04:46

Nobody said anything about this forum except you.

Figures.

BV made it clear a while back - once the Stones are done iorr is done.

Date: September 21, 2013 04:52

GasLightStreet
Nobody said anything about this forum except you.

Figures.

BV made it clear a while back - once the Stones are done iorr is done.

Even if BV decides to close shop there will be others that continue on. You can always join another forum.

Date: September 21, 2013 05:16

JumpinJackOLantern
treaclefingers
Doxa
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
The record buying public as a whole are not really interested, the band themselves don't seem to be interested. Whilst I don't think A Bigger Bang is as bad as some people on here make it out to be I don't think they have the energy or the motivation to do anything better that will do them justice. Who would they be doing a new album for? A small collection of obsessives who once they had the thrill of unwrapping the album would then tear it to pieces after the first listen and proclaim it to b a dud.

If they have any inspiration then they should just let tracks out as they come via itunes but the days of them being able or willing to produce a cohesive album that can stand next to their body of work are gone.

I think you are right after all. If they had any interest at all in making new music together they would be doing so at this very moment. Instead, it's back to business as usual. Once again they have scattered to the four winds. Even if they do decide to do something down the road I think they will find that their window of opportunity has closed on them. So, correct, no new album and probably no more shows. Time to move on.

- Doxa

slight chemical imbalance...that's what happens when you don't stick to the schedule for your meds!

I think the Stones have driven us all a little crazy. The question is, is it a good crazy, or a bad crazy? For me personally, it is probably leaning more towards the bad so there is no better time than now for me to move on. I devoted the last three years of my life to millionaires who only know me by my user name on a chat forum devoted to them. Despite that I am confident that I played a small role in inspiring them to come back for One More Shot. I will always look back at these past three years as a magical time in my life, but where one door closes, another opens. At least that has been the case for me throughout my many many years in this reality.

ok, and listen carefully...meds good. too many meds, bad.

Date: September 21, 2013 05:18

treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
treaclefingers
Doxa
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat

- Doxa

ok, and listen carefully...meds good. too many meds, bad.

Treacle, I am going to miss you, honestly. smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 21, 2013 10:25

When Jack gives up there isn't much to look forward to, is there? Funnily enough, I have a strange feeling there might be a tour in 2014 though...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 21, 2013 10:54

Torres
Aquamarine
MileHigh
No new Stones album is fine with me. It's a young man's and young woman's game to sell lots of albums and downloads.

Absolutely. If in the 60s we loved those bands made of artists born in the 1890s, why should it be different now?

The logic of this still escapes me. I know what you think you're saying, but actually there are a bunch of classical composers from the 1700s and 1800s who shift a bunch of albums. I don't get why age should factor into this at all. Obviously new young artists sell lots of albums and downloads, and over time many of them then disappear but popular old farts keep on selling those albums and downloads . . .

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 21, 2013 11:05

Aquamarine

The logic of this still escapes me. I know what you think you're saying, but actually there are a bunch of classical composers from the 1700s and 1800s who shift a bunch of albums. I don't get why age should factor into this at all. Obviously new young artists sell lots of albums and downloads, and over time many of them then disappear but popular old farts keep on selling those albums and downloads . . .

I 100% agree. smileys with beer

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 21, 2013 12:19

BlackHat
owlbynite
alimente
owlbynite
schwonek
bv
Please speak for yourself. I need a new album, and I am sure it will sell more than a million. And they will have Mick Taylor as guest guitarist. Not bad for a change. And they will tour it next year. Which would mean Mick Taylor will be with them on more songs on stage.

+1
+2

BV, do you think they can get along well enough to be creative & collaborative at this point? And motivated enough? Got my doubts. eye rolling smiley

How could BV know? The future is unwritten - anything can happen: the good, the bad or even the ugly.

Thought he had an inside track. winking smiley

I thought he was in charge of the band.

yes smileys with beer

Date: September 21, 2013 17:12

Treacle, I am going to miss you, honestly. smileys with beer

Ditto...just be sure to let us know what you're new alter ego is going to be.

Actually scratch that...infinitely more entertaining for us to try and figure that out!

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 21, 2013 17:55

Not much trying involved. It's easy to spot the loons on here smiling smiley

Date: September 21, 2013 18:29

GumbootCloggeroo

As you are from Canada, I'll give you a dollar to spot the loon.

Date: September 21, 2013 18:35

Aquamarine
Torres
Aquamarine
MileHigh

Yes, because the old farts who keep selling were once young, and popular, and set trends in popular music. They acquired status. Now tell me one rock n'roll band that rose to stardom with members older than, let's say, 40.

Those are the guys who play in bars and have to pay to do it (acoording to a recent thread). They will never make it big. And you know why? Because they're old. I'm not saying I like it like that, it's just the way it is.

Imagine during the 60s, with such sexual iconography in the music idols, that a 70 year old Rolling Stones band appeared in the scene. How do you think people would react?

It's great that we get new material from the old stars that once shaped popular music. But this is rock n' roll, and it's indeed up to the new generations to bring freshness and novelty. Maybe the industry doesn't allow the best to surface, but that's another story.

Date: September 21, 2013 18:36

Stoneage
When Jack gives up there isn't much to look forward to, is there? Funnily enough, I have a strange feeling there might be a tour in 2014 though...

They need to do two things for me to care anymore.

#1. Dump the overdub to the intro of SMU from Hyde Park on the upcoming DVD and CD and restore the intro that was actually played on that evening.

#2. Hit the studio ASAP and record that one last masterpiece.

I can live without any future live performances unless they are willing to build a tour around new music.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 21, 2013 19:12

treaclefingers
GumbootCloggeroo

As you are from Canada, I'll give you a dollar to spot the loon.

You'll have to hand out a lot of dollars, treacle. I'd say we're all a little looney to spend so much time on a fan board. But, as I come from a long line of proud looneys I'll take the first $. smiling bouncing smiley

I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES !!!!!
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 21, 2013 19:46

Torres
Now tell me one rock n'roll band that rose to stardom with members older than, let's say, 40.

The Rolling Stones

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 21, 2013 20:36

Err,i think they were just a little younger...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 21, 2013 20:48

Torres

It's great that we get new material from the old stars that once shaped popular music. But this is rock n' roll, and it's indeed up to the new generations to bring freshness and novelty. Maybe the industry doesn't allow the best to surface, but that's another story.

Sure, but my point was that it's not just the young bands selling the albums and downloads, that it's not just a young man's/woman's game. There are a lot of terrific new bands, and I go see them all the time, but a sizable amount of the music being sold is NOT being made by new artists. In other words, it's not a good or logical argument that the Stones--or Springsteen or whoever--shouldn't be making new albums because they're too old. Age isn't a factor. (Even back in the 60s, we might have liked our rock stars young, but in the UK at least we also bought vast quantities of albums by elderly blues singers, for instance.)

Date: September 21, 2013 22:07

Aquamarine
Torres

Sure, but my point was that it's not just the young bands selling the albums and downloads, that it's not just a young man's/woman's game. There are a lot of terrific new bands, and I go see them all the time, but a sizable amount of the music being sold is NOT being made by new artists. In other words, it's not a good or logical argument that the Stones--or Springsteen or whoever--shouldn't be making new albums because they're too old. Age isn't a factor. (Even back in the 60s, we might have liked our rock stars young, but in the UK at least we also bought vast quantities of albums by elderly blues singers, for instance.)

I fully agree on that. Also, I think the young generations are not into buying music (CDs, itunes, whatever). That should help to keep the older acts with good share of sales in the global music market.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 22, 2013 02:33

GasLightStreet
LongBeachArena72
The world didn't need new albums by Bowie, Dylan, or Elton, either.

But because those musicians are still driven to create new music, we have THE NEXT DAY, TEMPEST, and DIVING BOARD.

I daresay that one of those artists was under any illusion that their new shit would sell at Miley Cyrus levels ... but they released records because that's what they do.

The world will not see another Stones album until the Stones decide they have something to say ... and until they don't give a shit whether anyone wants to hear it.

Have you heard Bowie's LP? It's good. Real good. Certainly not what one would expect. I don't think it's so much of having something to say, I think it's just saying whatever and meaning it. With albums that aren't over 55 minutes long too. The Stones are not solo artists though. Huge catalogue - it's not like anyone is clamoring for something new. What do you think got more press?

Don't Stop
A BIGGER BANG
Plundered My Soul
EXILE reissue + extras
No Spare Parts
SOME GIRLS reissue + extras
Doom And Gloom
GRRRR
One More Shot

THE NEXT DAY is VERY good. And Dylan's "Pay in Blood" from TEMPEST is the best Stones song in decades.

Perhaps its easier for these guys as solo artists to generate and maintain the creative momentum required to cut a record, whereas the Stones have to corral a group of disparate personalities and get them to focus on a common goal: making music.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 22, 2013 02:39

Thats one way of looking at it.

Another would be to ask how difficult can it really be for a band with THREE songwriters to find enough inspiration to cobble together a dozen releasable songs every two or three years instead of once a decade?

Date: September 22, 2013 04:52

Gazza
Thats one way of looking at it.

Another would be to ask how difficult can it really be for a band with THREE songwriters to find enough inspiration to cobble together a dozen releasable songs every two or three years instead of once a decade?

Yep. Perhaps it is a shame. Then again, maybe they don't care.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 22, 2013 06:24

The World Needs Another Stones Album

Date: September 22, 2013 06:26

Max'sKansasCity
The World Needs Another Stones Album

The World Needs Another Stones Double Album, on vinyl.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home