Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12
Re: The World Doesn't Need Another Stones Album
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 2, 2013 19:27

I can't believe any fan would say that he/she would not want a new album. That is at the top of my list. Especially with Taylor on board.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 2, 2013 19:51

Dreamer
Closest thing to a RS album this year will be the project Joe Walsh is working on. About Mick cooperation on the project he said: "He brought in a song and he played great harmonica and we wrote a song. Don Was is producing and hopefully... end of the year."

Apart from a live CD/DVD that is...and some SF/Marquee things. And who knows...some South America/Argentina/Russia/Qatar/Sjanghai things.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 2, 2013 19:59

bv
Please speak for yourself. I need a new album, and I am sure it will sell more than a million. And they will have Mick Taylor as guest guitarist. Not bad for a change. And they will tour it next year. Which would mean Mick Taylor will be with them on more songs on stage.

Of course I only speak for myself. I wouldn't dream of speaking for anyone else. But this forum is populated by those for whom the Rolling Stones are an obsession. The general public (for want of a better term) who buy the bulk of any recorded product are not really interested.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: September 2, 2013 20:21

I need a new Rolling Stones album more than anything else from them.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 2, 2013 20:49

Like everything post Steel Wheels, I would probably buy a new Stones album, listen to it once, play a couple cuts again, and then rarely listen to it again. I have every Stones work up to Steel Wheels in my collection. After that I only have a copy of ABB. They would have to do something different, different backing musicians, different producer, extensive use of Mick Taylor, not a cameo, in order for me to get excited about a new Stones album.

I've accepted that Bill Wyman wants nothing to do with them and that the Stones rhythm section will never be reunited. I'm not even sure Mick & Keith can hang around each other long to come up with some true Rolling Stones compositions. I would not expect much from a Rolling Stones album, therefore I can only be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 2, 2013 20:51

A new album would be great: I was walking to a meeting this morning, grooving to Bridges to Babylon on my IPOD.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 2, 2013 21:39

yea bring it on the new stones cd,will have plenty of rock-roll and blues so noone will complain about new cd from jagger as i like jagger music away from the stones

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 2, 2013 21:41

24FPS
Like everything post Steel Wheels, I would probably buy a new Stones album, listen to it once, play a couple cuts again, and then rarely listen to it again. I have every Stones work up to Steel Wheels in my collection. After that I only have a copy of ABB. They would have to do something different, different backing musicians, different producer, extensive use of Mick Taylor, not a cameo, in order for me to get excited about a new Stones album.

I've accepted that Bill Wyman wants nothing to do with them and that the Stones rhythm section will never be reunited. I'm not even sure Mick & Keith can hang around each other long to come up with some true Rolling Stones compositions. I would not expect much from a Rolling Stones album, therefore I can only be pleasantly surprised.

They can't.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 2, 2013 21:48

I'm with 24FPS. I'll buy a Stones release, listen to it a couple of times, then leave it to gather dust. There will be a little excitement and curiosity on my part, but then I'll go back to spinning Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 2, 2013 21:57

I would love a new album.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 2, 2013 22:25

I would say that a "fan" that says he/she does not need any new albums is a "has been" fan. Sucking in the seventies may be.

Personally I would say that if Mick & Keith and the rest of the band want to enjoy a few months in a studio with the world's best engineers and including Mick Taylor guest playing, I can't see any harm in that. If you don't like it then go buy another Beatles record or something, or keep listening to Exile...

Bjornulf

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 2, 2013 22:32

When Macca can publish his ridiculous crap - listen to "New", why can't Stones?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 2, 2013 22:36

bv
Please speak for yourself. I need a new album, and I am sure it will sell more than a million. And they will have Mick Taylor as guest guitarist. Not bad for a change. And they will tour it next year. Which would mean Mick Taylor will be with them on more songs on stage.

This is quite a change from your recent post regarding your impressions upon leaving Hyde Park, where you stated that you felt it would be the last time The Stones ever gathered to perform on stage. I believe the term you used in that post to sum up this years tour was "last calls".

Now, there is a new album and a tour around it for next year.

Is this actual news you are sharing, or just eternal optimism?

By the way, myself, I would love a new album. I have all the albums and love them all (maybe with the exception of Dirty Work, where some parts fall flat, but I still give it a listen from time to time). I find nothing at all wrong with the albums from Steel Wheels through A Bigger Bang, and I count the Exile bonus disc as mostly new as well, so when playing these in series I play the Exile bonus disc after A Bigger Bang, since it was their "Tattoo You" of 2010.

However, I don't think Mick Jagger is as inclined toward a new album for the reasons stated in my post above, but I am always willing to be pleasantly surprised.

But if you have some news to confirm, then I will start saving for a show or two in 2014/15.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 2, 2013 22:47

A couple of thoughts.

BV re "with the world's best engineers..." I'm almost speechless on this; not why I buy albums.

BlackHat's posts always make me wonder if he has ever been a Stones fan. He must have insights into the "general public" that we are not privy to. If it's a damned good record, it will sell.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 2, 2013 22:52

Indeed.

No new album, but a World Tour in fall 2013 or early 2014. smileys with beer

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 2, 2013 23:22

Some people seem to read between lines when I post, and read something I never say...

I said I walked out of Hyde Park at 10:30pm July 13, knowing THIS MIGHT have been the last ever time I saw the Stones live.

Of course they will tour and record and do what they like most as long as they live, but I hope it is clear to ANYONE on this forum the age of the band members and the fact that any accidents or incidents or private decitions might ALTER their plans and make my feelings come through...

I never post anything unless I have background info. I am not drunk, and I am not dreaming. And I do not feel I would have to document anything. IORR is a forum where anyone can post. Feel free to read any info. Feel free to trust or ignore anyone including me.

But please don't tell me I did not say so - when the last ever show was performed, or when the new album is out. I am not God. I do not control everything. But I talk to many people, and I have pretty good insight.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-03 00:03 by bv.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 2, 2013 23:28

BlackHat
The record buying public as a whole are not really interested, the band themselves don't seem to be interested. Whilst I don't think A Bigger Bang is as bad as some people on here make it out to be I don't think they have the energy or the motivation to do anything better that will do them justice. Who would they be doing a new album for? A small collection of obsessives who once they had the thrill of unwrapping the album would then tear it to pieces after the first listen and proclaim it to b a dud.

If they have any inspiration then they should just let tracks out as they come via itunes but the days of them being able or willing to produce a cohesive album that can stand next to their body of work are gone.[/quote

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 2, 2013 23:28

bv

This scenario has for some time been my dream and hope. bv, you make it sound and read as more than only a thinkable scenario. An outright reasonable prospect. (Confirmed by your latest post!) Besides, I do share the need for a new album.

And then, how I would love to have an album which would feature songs that could be played live especially to a younger part of the audience. Even the Taylorites will certainly want to hear such songs live.

With a new album and songs from it on the setlist, the Rolling Stones might even play some of the venues once again which they just played, if they should want to. They will in that case have given rise to a new occasion for that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 23:30 by Witness.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: September 2, 2013 23:32

bv
Some people seem to read between linesd when I post, and read something I never say...

I said I walked out of Hyde Park at 10:30pm July 13, knowing THIS MIGHT have been the last ever time I saw the Stones live.

Of course they will tour and record and do what they like most as long as they live, but I hope it is clear to ANYONE on this forum the age of the band members and the fact that any accidents or incidents or private decitions might ALTER their plans and make my feelings come through...

I never post anything unless I have background info. I am not drunk, and I am not dreaming. And I do not feel I would have to document anything. IORR is a forum where anyone can post. Feel free to rean any info. Feel free to trust or ignore anyone including me.

But please don't tell me I did not say so - when the last ever show was performet, or when the new album is out. I am not God. I do not control everything. But I talk to many people, and I have pretty good insight.

Good post thumbs up

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: September 2, 2013 23:37

bv

I hope you are right. And I hope Mick Taylor will write a song or two (and get credit for it)!! I have a good feeling about all of this!smiling smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 2, 2013 23:49

LeonidP

Some "people singing along", and the "record buying public", are (by far) two completely different things. They will never be adding many new fans in this day.

They don't need to. The Stones have a huge record/CD-buying fan-base. Nearly all of my friends own Stones albums, even if very few of them went to shows on the last tour due to $$$, and none of them belong to Stones forums. Their last new single did really well and got major radio play.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: September 3, 2013 00:58

BlackHat
The record buying public as a whole are not really interested, the band themselves don't seem to be interested. Whilst I don't think A Bigger Bang is as bad as some people on here make it out to be I don't think they have the energy or the motivation to do anything better that will do them justice. Who would they be doing a new album for? A small collection of obsessives who once they had the thrill of unwrapping the album would then tear it to pieces after the first listen and proclaim it to b a dud.

If they have any inspiration then they should just let tracks out as they come via itunes but the days of them being able or willing to produce a cohesive album that can stand next to their body of work are gone.

Well if you believe this Wiki entry about ABB I would say you are wrong about possible interest in a new album. Pretty respectible showing for a band nobody wants new music from.

Wikipedia
A Bigger Bang went platinum in the US and Germany,and gold in Japan. According to Nielsen SoundScan it sold 546,000 copies in the US, and as of 31 March 2006, 2.4 million copies worldwide according to EMI.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 3, 2013 01:18

All theories aside, the truth is that only the new album itself can prove wether the world needed it or not.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 3, 2013 01:29

oldschool
BlackHat

If they have any inspiration then they should just let tracks out as they come via itunes but the days of them being able or willing to produce a cohesive album that can stand next to their body of work are gone.

Well if you believe this Wiki entry about ABB I would say you are wrong about possible interest in a new album. Pretty respectible showing for a band nobody wants new music from.

Wikipedia
A Bigger Bang went platinum in the US and Germany,and gold in Japan. According to Nielsen SoundScan it sold 546,000 copies in the US, and as of 31 March 2006, 2.4 million copies worldwide according to EMI.

the same wiki entry also says that the tour that supported it 'was met with sold-out tickets at every destination, usually within minutes of opening' so I wouldnt take it as gospel!

Seriously though, 2.4 million in an era of declining record sales isn't at all bad...but when you consider that they played almost 150 shows on the tour , grossed over half a billion dollars in ticket sales and played to about 6 million people or more, the sales were comparatively underwhelming. The fact is that the Stones seem to find it easier to persuade people to spend $500 on a concert ticket than they do in persuading them to spend $20 on their current CD.

next time they should do what Prince did a while back and include the new CD with every concert ticket purchased. That way, the audience will have no excuse to be so clueless whenever they hear a new song - and the band might actually feel confident enough to play a couple or more of them per show by the time theyve got past the first month of the tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-03 01:31 by Gazza.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: September 3, 2013 01:32

Thanks for your posts here, BV, they give hope. smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 3, 2013 06:17

alimente
All theories aside, the truth is that only the new album itself can prove wether the world needed it or not.

Oh sure, if you're going to apply common sense. smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 3, 2013 06:40

Gazza
oldschool

Wikipedia

the same wiki entry also says that the tour that supported it 'was met with sold-out tickets at every destination, usually within minutes of opening' so I wouldnt take it as gospel!

Seriously though, 2.4 million in an era of declining record sales isn't at all bad...but when you consider that they played almost 150 shows on the tour , grossed over half a billion dollars in ticket sales and played to about 6 million people or more, the sales were comparatively underwhelming. The fact is that the Stones seem to find it easier to persuade people to spend $500 on a concert ticket than they do in persuading them to spend $20 on their current CD.

next time they should do what Prince did a while back and include the new CD with every concert ticket purchased. That way, the audience will have no excuse to be so clueless whenever they hear a new song - and the band might actually feel confident enough to play a couple or more of them per show by the time theyve got past the first month of the tour.

Sure the LP charted high where it did but when hardly anyone is buying albums anymore of course something will chart high if enough people buy it - regardless of how many copies it sells it still has to chart.

People will pay through their noses for a ticket or tickets they know are beyond overpriced and deal with traffic, loads of people, buy t-shirts and (sometimes) super expensive watered down beer etc and long lines for a concert but they won't pay $15 or so for an album?????

That blows my mind.

If those sales figures are anywhere near accurate it's still incredibly underwhelming considering the tour was from 05-07, entering its third calendar year in exactly 7 days by the time it finished. After 4 singles and considering how long it's been since they toured it, which they pretty much did not do, it probably hasn't sold 100 copies.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 3, 2013 06:43

One reason more people don't actually BUY albums these days is that it's so easy to get the music without actually buying it, not that I'm recommending this.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 3, 2013 06:53

Aquamarine
One reason more people don't actually BUY albums these days is that it's so easy to get the music without actually buying it, not that I'm recommending this.

I dunno. If a band has an album out but can't afford to have it on iTunes (it's not cheap to do) then the only reason it would be easy to get without buying it is because the band made it possible.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 3, 2013 06:56

Selling a million won't be that easy no matter how good the album is.
Gazza has the right idea -- free CD with concert ticket. Big appeal to "old" fans as well as all the young ones that got hooked on the Stones from the 2012-2013 gigs.

One thing I learned in my career of marketing many millions of records is that lawyers and accountants talk big but they haven't been in the trenches getting those albums sold. Those trenches are very difficult to navigate now that radio including college radio stations has much less impact than it did in the big record selling sixties and seventies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home