Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: The World Needs Another Stones Album
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 22, 2013 06:38

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
The World Needs Another Stones Album

The World Needs Another Stones Double Album, on vinyl.

That would be awesome cool smiley

Re: The World Doesn't Need Another Stones Album
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 22, 2013 12:09

Max'sKansasCity

OK, let me re-phrase my opening statement. The world does not need another Stones album along the lines of A Bigger Bang.

The fact is that we are not going to get another Exile or another Some Girls. If we get another Stones album it is more likely to be A Bigger Bang Part 2. Trawl through this forum and you will find stacks of negativity about this album. You will also find terms like "Stones By Numbers" applied to Doom and Gloom and One More Shot. There is also a widely held view that the Stones have done nothing of note since 1981. In light of all this what's the point of the Stones making another new album (other than for their own gratification).

Date: September 22, 2013 13:35

BlackHat
Max'sKansasCity

OK, let me re-phrase my opening statement. The world does not need another Stones album along the lines of A Bigger Bang.

The fact is that we are not going to get another Exile or another Some Girls. If we get another Stones album it is more likely to be A Bigger Bang Part 2. Trawl through this forum and you will find stacks of negativity about this album. You will also find terms like "Stones By Numbers" applied to Doom and Gloom and One More Shot. There is also a widely held view that the Stones have done nothing of note since 1981. In light of all this what's the point of the Stones making another new album (other than for their own gratification).

There is also a widley held view that the Stones have done plenty of good music since 1981, then again I really dont care what the mob says about anything, I think for myself. I could for go tit for tat for the whole thing, but I wont.

I (and many of other have posted) would love another Stones album. As far as it needing to say or be something new and super duper Earth shattering, that is not needed, more of the same type of music they have always made would be fine with me. I love the Stones guitars and Jagger's singing and Charlie's different way of drumming, all of it. MOAR MOAR!!!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:25

Max'sKansasCity
BlackHat
Max'sKansasCity

There is also a widley held view that the Stones have done plenty of good music since 1981, then again I really dont care what the mob says about anything, I think for myself. I could for go tit for tat for the whole thing, but I wont.

I (and many of other have posted) would love another Stones album. As far as it needing to say or be something new and super duper Earth shattering, that is not needed, more of the same type of music they have always made would be fine with me. I love the Stones guitars and Jagger's singing and Charlie's different way of drumming, all of it. MOAR MOAR!!!

thumbs up...Max....And.........'for their own gratification' rather than playing to the gallery is when you get the essence of a band, ala Exile.................so that'll certainly do as a very fine reason to do another album ........

Date: September 22, 2013 15:06

EddieByword
Max'sKansasCity
BlackHat
Max'sKansasCity

thumbs up...Max....And.........'for their own gratification' rather than playing to the gallery is when you get the essence of a band, ala Exile.................so that'll certainly do as a very fine reason to do another album ........
cool smiley
Hell YEAH!!! Cheers Eddie!! smileys with beer

STONES!!

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 22, 2013 15:46

There is a very strong possibility that the people who desperately want a new album now will treat said album like a turd when they have it.

Date: September 22, 2013 15:53

It is a very strong possibility that people who always whine about new Stones music and bitch about the Stones concerts and whine and bitch about pretty much everything, will whine and bitch about a new Stones album too, it is what they do.

AS for me, it remains to be seen, I dont judge things before I see or hear them, but I certainly trust Jagger and the Stones to do it up right, they usually do, so I will let the music do the talking.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 22, 2013 16:01

The main problem is, and has been, the fact that the "Glimmer Twins" can't write songs together anymore. So any new song will either be a Mick song or a Keith song (often leftovers from solo endeavours). Like OMS and D&G...

Date: September 22, 2013 16:03

Stoneage
The main problem is, and has been, the fact that the "Glimmer Twins" can't write songs together anymore. So any new song will either be a Mick song or a Keith song (often leftovers from solo endeavours). Like OMS and D&G...

fact is the incorrect word, it may be some people's opinion, but it is not a fact.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2013 16:04

Stoneage

While you make a very good point, I would hope that they'd consider blasting open the 'Jagger/Richards' songwriting stranglehold and include Ronnie and Mick Taylor on the crafting of most of the songs should there be a new album.

I think Jagger/Richards need a buffer now and this approach would open up a whole new level of creativity.

Date: September 22, 2013 17:23

Sure, Treacle. It looks like Mick and Mick can work together at least. But I get the feeling it's all too late now. The Mick/Keith dysfunctionality has been going on for to long.

Date: September 22, 2013 17:39

Sorry, wrong thread!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-22 17:41 by Stoneage.

Date: September 22, 2013 19:39

Stoneage
Sure, Treacle. It looks like Mick and Mick can work together at least. But I get the feeling it's all too late now. The Mick/Keith dysfunctionality has been going on for to long.

Well again, I don't disagree, but if they can get up onstage with each other night after night, sitting in a room together with Ronnie and Taylor and Charlie just jamming out new material might be fun.

Date: September 22, 2013 19:49

Stoneage

I was a damn fool for thinking that they would ever come together and record new music. If it was going to happen they would have hit the studio running right after the last show. Instead, they (once again) have scattered to the four winds. Let's face it, Keith ruined whatever hope there was left with his stupid comments in his book. It's over!

On the positive side? One day we will get a DVD of the historic Glastonbury concert!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 22, 2013 19:52

JumpinJackOLantern
Stoneage

I was a damn fool for thinking that they would ever come together and record new music. If it was going to happen they would have hit the studio running right after the last show. Instead, they (once again) have scattered to the four winds. Let's face it, Keith ruined whatever hope there was left with his stupid comments in his book. It's over!

On the positive side? One day we will get a DVD of the historic Glastonbury concert!

That's been out for ages........winking smiley

Date: September 22, 2013 19:57

EddieByword
JumpinJackOLantern
Stoneage

That's been out for ages........winking smiley

See, dreams do come true!

Date: September 22, 2013 20:03

treaclefingers
Stoneage

While you make a very good point, I would hope that they'd consider blasting open the 'Jagger/Richards' songwriting stranglehold and include Ronnie and Mick Taylor on the crafting of most of the songs should there be a new album.

I think Jagger/Richards need a buffer now and this approach would open up a whole new level of creativity.

Seems like such a no-brainer doesn't it? But yet there are no signs indicating it will actually ever happen? Why is that? I think they need a new manager!

Date: September 22, 2013 20:26

BlackHat
There is a very strong possibility that the people who desperately want a new album now will treat said album like a turd when they have it.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) they are going to be denied this opportunity!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 22, 2013 21:52

Stoneage
The main problem is, and has been ...

... and will always be that, no matter what the Stones do or won't do, there will always be people nagging about what the Stones do or won't do. And there will always be people who are happy with everything the Stones do. Tough choice to which group you want to belong eh

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 22, 2013 22:21

Rolling Hansie
Stoneage

... and will always be that, no matter what the Stones do or won't do, there will always be people nagging about what the Stones do or won't do. And there will always be people who are happy with everything the Stones do. Tough choice to which group you want to belong eh

Hansie, I have always admired your loyalty and consistency, but this "overdub thing" with SMU at Hyde Park has pushed me to the boiling point. Also, they seem to have no desire (or are procrastinating) to record new music when their peers continue to produce new material. Even the Beach Boys were able to come together and produce a new album. It's very frustrating, especially coming off a historic tour where they performed at such a high level. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-22 22:23 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 22, 2013 23:30

I've ignored this thread until now, it's such a dumb topic, but am amazed it keeps popping up.

Baseball fans can be religious nuts about their baseball, but 1994 had no World Series because of a baseball strike, and—despite baseball being "the American pastime"—it turned out people barely noticed. The world doesn't need a lot of things.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 23, 2013 00:20

Rolling Hansie
Stoneage

... and will always be that, no matter what the Stones do or won't do, there will always be people nagging about what the Stones do or won't do....

If they continue as is, then sure, I will keep nagging/whining/etc. I'd like to see the passion again, like they had in the 60s/70s, do it for the love of music and not just overpriced reissued grrrreatest hits with 1 or 2 new songs, i.e. for the money.

They only create these days when they know a multi-million dollar payment awaits - they don't sit around together anymore and just play! Yes, I know they are older w/ kids etc. but even in the 70s they were married and had kids, not to mention - how do other artists keep doing it, perfect example: Ian Hunter

Date: September 23, 2013 02:38

LeonidP
Rolling Hansie
Stoneage

... and will always be that, no matter what the Stones do or won't do, there will always be people nagging about what the Stones do or won't do....

If they continue as is, then sure, I will keep nagging/whining/etc. I'd like to see the passion again, like they had in the 60s/70s, do it for the love of music and not just overpriced reissued grrrreatest hits with 1 or 2 new songs, i.e. for the money.

They only create these days when they know a multi-million dollar payment awaits - they don't sit around together anymore and just play! Yes, I know they are older w/ kids etc. but even in the 70s they were married and had kids, not to mention - how do other artists keep doing it, perfect example: Ian Hunter

You make some excellent points. They really have no excuses, so the only thing that makes any sense is what many have been saying around here for a long time (and that I foolishly chose to ignore) and that is that Mick and Keith really can't stand working together on a one on one basis anymore. What else could it be? They are artistically drained? Too lazy? Shame on them if it's because they are simply too lazy!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 23, 2013 02:51

JumpinJackOLantern
They really have no excuses, so the only thing that makes any sense is what many have been saying around here for a long time (and that I foolishly chose to ignore) and that is that Mick and Keith really can't stand working together on a one on one basis anymore. What else could it be? They are artistically drained? Too lazy? Shame on them if it's because they are simply too lazy!

Actually the blame can go to Stones fans themselves--at least the casual fans with their "oldies only" mentality that make up the bulk of their concert-going audience:

“It would be nice to have a new album, but people don’t like the new album when you play it on stage,” Jagger told USA Today. “They glumly look at you. ‘OK, it will be over in a minute.’ It’s not a good excuse, but it’s the truth and has to be said.”

Further details at: [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: September 23, 2013 02:59

stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern
They really have no excuses, so the only thing that makes any sense is what many have been saying around here for a long time (and that I foolishly chose to ignore) and that is that Mick and Keith really can't stand working together on a one on one basis anymore. What else could it be? They are artistically drained? Too lazy? Shame on them if it's because they are simply too lazy!

Actually the blame can go to Stones fans themselves--at least the casual fans with their "oldies only" mentality that make up the bulk of their concert-going audience:

“It would be nice to have a new album, but people don’t like the new album when you play it on stage,” Jagger told USA Today. “They glumly look at you. ‘OK, it will be over in a minute.’ It’s not a good excuse, but it’s the truth and has to be said.”

I wonder if Mick is just using this an excuse? It's just plain weird that most of their peers are still making new music and they apparently have very little interest in doing so themselves. I can understand repeating themselves for the sake of new fans, but at some point even those new fans are probably going to want to hear new music. I know we do.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 23, 2013 03:50

stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern

The Stones have ended up with the audience they deserve, If that audience consists largely (as Jagger seems to suggest) of people who are widely ignorant of the music of a band who have somehow managed to sell about 250 million records, then its their 'fault' for making their shows so exclusive financially and targeting a certain customer demographic. This manifests itself in imaginative playlists over the last decade - something that wasnt the case even as late as the 90s when they were playing stadium shows which included a wide variety of deep album cuts and songs theyd dug out of the back catalogue as well as a smattering of big hits.

All you need to know regarding the way the Stones do their business is the fact that when you go to a Stones concert, you can buy dozens of variants of Stones t-shirts, you can buy bobble headed dolls, luminous pins and any other piece of overpriced, tacky kitsch that happens to have a tongue on it - but you cant buy a Rolling Stones CD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 03:52 by Gazza.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 23, 2013 04:20

Gazza
The Stones have ended up with the audience they deserve, If that audience consists largely (as Jagger seems to suggest) of people who are widely ignorant of the music of a band who have somehow managed to sell about 250 million records, then its their 'fault' for making their shows so exclusive financially and targeting a certain customer demographic.

All Mick Jagger really wants is to be popular, and if he can attain this popularity as a live performer at the expense of creating new Stones music as a recording artist then so be it. He'd much rather work a large stadium or arena-sized room playing oldies for tens thousands who own not much more than Hot Rocks than playing new music for a club-sized audience who can name every cut off every album in order.

So, in that sense, you're right: The Stones and their mainstream audience deserve one another, but each nonetheless seem to get what they want.

Date: September 23, 2013 04:26

Gazza
stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern

The Stones have ended up with the audience they deserve, If that audience consists largely (as Jagger seems to suggest) of people who are widely ignorant of the music of a band who have somehow managed to sell about 250 million records, then its their 'fault' for making their shows so exclusive financially and targeting a certain customer demographic. This manifests itself in imaginative playlists over the last decade - something that wasnt the case even as late as the 90s when they were playing stadium shows which included a wide variety of deep album cuts and songs theyd dug out of the back catalogue as well as a smattering of big hits.

All you need to know regarding the way the Stones do their business is the fact that when you go to a Stones concert, you can buy dozens of variants of Stones t-shirts, you can buy bobble headed dolls, luminous pins and any other piece of overpriced, tacky kitsch that happens to have a tongue on it - but you cant buy a Rolling Stones CD.

Good points, but consider this: What is better, to feed hundreds of hungry people, or hundreds of thousands of hungry people? There is your answer. It is selfish for us (me included) that number in the hundreds to think we are more special than those that number in the hundreds of thousands no matter how much merchandise we have purchased or how many concerts we have attended. I am sorry, Gazza but you have always come across to me as some kind of an elitist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 04:27 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: September 23, 2013 04:36

stonehearted
Gazza
The Stones have ended up with the audience they deserve, If that audience consists largely (as Jagger seems to suggest) of people who are widely ignorant of the music of a band who have somehow managed to sell about 250 million records, then its their 'fault' for making their shows so exclusive financially and targeting a certain customer demographic.

All Mick Jagger really wants is to be popular, and if he can attain this popularity as a live performer at the expense of creating new Stones music as a recording artist then so be it. He'd much rather work a large stadium or arena-sized room playing oldies for tens thousands who own not much more than Hot Rocks than playing new music for a club-sized audience who can name every cut off every album in order.

So, in that sense, you're right: The Stones and their mainstream audience deserve one another, but each nonetheless seem to get what they want.

It's very democratic!

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 23, 2013 05:10

I'm sure 2014 will bring a new Stones album.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home