Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12
Re: The World Doesn't Need Another Stones Album
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2013 00:26

Stoneage
treaclefingers
duke richardson
has anybody asked them..?

I was going to but I misplaced Mick's cell number.

Mick is doing time? So that is why we never get a new album? Didn't know that!

It's ok, I heard time is on his side, yes it is.

Date: September 6, 2013 02:41

BlackHat
The record buying public as a whole are not really interested, the band themselves don't seem to be interested. Whilst I don't think A Bigger Bang is as bad as some people on here make it out to be I don't think they have the energy or the motivation to do anything better that will do them justice. Who would they be doing a new album for? A small collection of obsessives who once they had the thrill of unwrapping the album would then tear it to pieces after the first listen and proclaim it to b a dud.

If they have any inspiration then they should just let tracks out as they come via itunes but the days of them being able or willing to produce a cohesive album that can stand next to their body of work are gone.

The world may not need another Stones album, but they are going to get one whether they need it or not! Of course they don't have to buy it. A new album would easily sell a million copies, maybe two, or even three million.

Date: September 6, 2013 03:17

Max'sKansasCity
yeah... ummmmm.... I am still waiting for all of the experts....
WHO KNEW and ranted and raved and promised and logiced and explained
to us how and why THEY KNEW that The Stones would never do another live show...
to fess up and admit they were wrong...

So I dont put much weight into arguments that there will never be another Stones album.

Maybe they will make a new album and maybe they wont...
but to take a stand and hope that THEY WONT makes no sense. What is the objective?

Max, the objective of most males is to be right. And when they are proven wrong, they dig their heels in even deeper, and begin looking under rocks for something, (anything) that they can use to convince themselves they were right after all. My guess is that when the new album is released (no matter how good it might be) they will trash it.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 6, 2013 03:25

JumpinJackOLantern
Max'sKansasCity

So I dont put much weight into arguments that there will never be another Stones album.

but to take a stand and hope that THEY WONT makes no sense. What is the objective?

Max, the objective of most males is to be right. And when they are proven wrong, they dig their heels in even deeper, and begin looking under rocks for something, (anything) that they can use to convince themselves they were right after all. My guess is that when the new album is released (no matter how good it might be) they will trash it.

winking smiley I can already hear the rabble rabble rabble starting in the distance.

Date: September 6, 2013 03:30

Max'sKansasCity
JumpinJackOLantern
Max'sKansasCity

winking smiley I can already hear the rabble rabble rabble starting in the distance.

Like a bunch of old mother hens!

Date: September 6, 2013 03:55

JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
The record buying public as a whole are not really interested, the band themselves don't seem to be interested. Whilst I don't think A Bigger Bang is as bad as some people on here make it out to be I don't think they have the energy or the motivation to do anything better that will do them justice. Who would they be doing a new album for? A small collection of obsessives who once they had the thrill of unwrapping the album would then tear it to pieces after the first listen and proclaim it to b a dud.

If they have any inspiration then they should just let tracks out as they come via itunes but the days of them being able or willing to produce a cohesive album that can stand next to their body of work are gone.

The world may not need another Stones album, but they are going to get one whether they need it or not! Of course they don't have to buy it. A new album would easily sell a million copies, maybe two, or even three million.

The only way it will sell 3 million copies is if they have a single, and actual single, on par with Start Me Up. Even then, I don't know if there is a market for that style of music.

I hope there is!

Date: September 6, 2013 04:14

treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat

The only way it will sell 3 million copies is if they have a single, and actual single, on par with Start Me Up. Even then, I don't know if there is a market for that style of music.

I hope there is!

The Stones are "hot" at the moment. They need to "seize the moment" and hit the studio as soon as possible. My guess is that they are probably working on new material as we speak from their own corners of the world. Of course at some point they would have to come together in the studio and go to work. I can't think of a better month than October for them to meet up in the studio and get busy.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 6, 2013 04:52

They must put aside differences and collaborate on new material.

It doesn't matter the style........country, open tuning rock, ballads, pop, whatever.

It doesn't matter how many units get sold.

Just some great original songs, one last time.

They must give it one more shot cause it's all they got.

Put the bookend on the greatest body of work by any band that has graced this planet.

Close it out on a high note....bring it one last time.

Date: September 6, 2013 04:56

beachbreak

It doesn't matter the style........country, open tuning rock, ballads, pop, whatever.

Put the bookend on the greatest body of work by any band that has graced this planet.

Exactly! If they don't I am certain they will look back in ten years or so with great regret.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 6, 2013 05:13

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
GasLightStreet
Hell yes I'd get their new album if they put one out. Doesn't mean it would be good, bad, great or horrible. That's beside the point. I'd get it because I'm a fan. But for the Hot Rocks kind of Stones fans, they ain't gonna bother.

So, you're a 'Hot Rocks' kind of fan (now a GRRRR fan I guess), if you don't expect a future Stones album to be artistically satisfying? Things have changed. Who knows what I would have done with A Bigger Bang if I'd had I-Tunes and Amazon downloading services in 2005. I might have sampled all the tunes there, or on YouTube. In the end I probably would have downloaded 4 or five songs at the most. I know with the recent Hyde Park album I downloaded 4 songs, two of which I'll probably never listen to again.

I used to be clawing at the record shop window for them to open up when there was a new Stones release. That hasn't happened since 1981. Undercover and Dirty Work really put me off. But if there was a new Stones album I would definitely download only individual songs if it was cheaper that way, and if there were only a few songs worth listening to more than once. I pray for a great album, but if the last 20 years are prologue....

No I'm not a Hot Rocks or whatever kind of fan (goddamn hell NO I'll never be a GRRRR fan!) if I don't find a future album to be artistically satisfying. Not sure what makes you say that.

I guess I'm a GRRR kind of fan as I pretty much like every song on it...50 and 80 song versions.

So... technically you're not a total GRRR fan then. Yer a GRR fan. Streets Of Love ruined it huh. That has to be what the 'pretty much like every song' means.

Date: September 6, 2013 05:17

24FPS
GasLightStreet
24FPS
GasLightStreet
Hell yes I'd get their new album if they put one out. Doesn't mean it would be good, bad, great or horrible. That's beside the point. I'd get it because I'm a fan. But for the Hot Rocks kind of Stones fans, they ain't gonna bother.

So, you're a 'Hot Rocks' kind of fan (now a GRRRR fan I guess), if you don't expect a future Stones album to be artistically satisfying? Things have changed. Who knows what I would have done with A Bigger Bang if I'd had I-Tunes and Amazon downloading services in 2005. I might have sampled all the tunes there, or on YouTube. In the end I probably would have downloaded 4 or five songs at the most. I know with the recent Hyde Park album I downloaded 4 songs, two of which I'll probably never listen to again.

I used to be clawing at the record shop window for them to open up when there was a new Stones release. That hasn't happened since 1981. Undercover and Dirty Work really put me off. But if there was a new Stones album I would definitely download only individual songs if it was cheaper that way, and if there were only a few songs worth listening to more than once. I pray for a great album, but if the last 20 years are prologue....

No I'm not a Hot Rocks or whatever kind of fan (goddamn hell NO I'll never be a GRRRR fan!) if I don't find a future album to be artistically satisfying. Not sure what makes you say that.

Sigh. GasStreetLight, I meant that you were calling people, like me, a 'Hot Rocks Fan', not you. Actually I'm more of a 'More Hot Rocks (big hits & fazed cookies)' kind of Stones fan.

Ahhh. I see now that you've pointed it out. It was obviously misread as you talking to me. Well regardless... oh whatever. It really doens't matter! However, More Hot Rocks is a very interesting compilation.

Date: September 6, 2013 05:19

Max'sKansasCity

It might suffice it to say that those predictions were most likely based on zero information of the Stones actually doing anything prior to the Stones doing anything of said what wasn't.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 6, 2013 05:27

I agree it's not needed but don't think it's generally unwanted.

I want it. I love ABB and upon listening to it for the first time in years the other week realised it's better than I already thought.

If I were them I couldn't be bothered but one way or another this lot of savvy businessmen keep reinventing the music wheel and generating widespread interest in what they are doing.

My daughter is 6 and listened to nothing but "She's a rainbow" for months given we caught it on the radio one day. She asked if we had it - I said "yes" - we then played it to death and she of course asked about other songs they did. So I played her some. Now she's Daddy's own little Rolling Stones girl.

I didn't have to brainwash her. She knew about Hyde Park shows from the news and pleaded we go. I considered killing her mother, collecting the insurance and doing just that. However getting around the plod was an issue.

Just sayin'.

Date: September 6, 2013 05:27

Max'sKansasCity

It's 'maybe'. Just one. Saying the obvious is redundant. The one, of either, implies the opposite. That's the whole point of using such words as 'might', 'may' and 'maybe' - to save space, breath, being redundant and whatever etc there is. So when you say 'maybe yes maybe no' you've actually said nothing at all.

Now is that how you want to be? You've got a lot to think about.

Maybe.

Date: September 6, 2013 05:31

Date: September 6, 2013 05:38

...if they do, I'd love to hear (probably 3/4 of) the songs on it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 6, 2013 09:30

OzHeavyThrobber
She knew about Hyde Park shows from the news and pleaded we go. I considered killing her mother, collecting the insurance and doing just that. However getting around the plod was an issue.

Just sayin'.

They were good shows.... Just sayin'.winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 6, 2013 09:51

lem motlow
Aquamarine

Not sure what you mean by adding bands to the list--you mean rock bands, rock bands that sell a lot (again, that's not necessarily the issue these days), or what? There's the White Stripes (plus Raconteurs, Dead Weather, etc.), Foo Fighters, Kills, Queens of the Stone Age, Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, zillions of lesser-known bands . . . Maybe we're not defining rock and roll the same way?

whats so hard to figure out? the bands you named ,the foo fighters are dave from nirvanas band ,queens of the stone age began in 96,nine inch nails began in 88, pearl jam celebrated their 20th annivesary recently so you gave me a list of "new" bands that have a combined experience of about 75 years in the business.

my point was i wanna see bands that came out in the last 10 or 20 years that can hold a candle to any of the acts i mentioned,i'm sure you're gonna give me the names of the new stones,who,led zeppelin and pink floyd otherwise i'm gonna go on thinking its kinda over.i'm not asking for "zillions" just 5 or 10.i dont want them to be "well known",just somebody that can flat out play....

I just gave you a list of bands that have been active in that period since I didn't know what you were after. If you're after bands that have emerged more recently, all Jack White's projects have been basically since 2000, ditto the Black Keys, the Kills celebrated their 10th anniversary last year, there are other older bands like Radiohead and such, and then there are new bands/artists like Kill It Kid, the Alabama Shakes, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall, Diarrhea Planet (sorry!), Arctic Monkeys, King Tuff, Band of Skulls, etc. etc. They can all flat out play in very different ways (obviously nobody's going to like all of them), and I can give you another 20 more if you've got time. (Natural Child, the Promised Land, Quasi, Shannon and the Clams . . ) But nobody's going to be insane enough to claim they're the new Stones/Zep/Floyd because they haven't been around long enough to have that kind of track record. Many bands are great for an album or two.

(Hence the dilemma. Bands that are old enough to have proven themselves over time don't fit your requirements because they're TOO old--I think this will include the Flaming Lips, the Strokes, etc.--so no way to answer the question of whether rock is still alive except to say all the bands mentioned above are playing it, today, and I and many people I know are going to hear and enjoy it on a regular basis, which would seem to argue against it being dead.)

Btw I was just including American and a couple of British bands. I know there's a whole scene in Australia, there are a lot of Canadian bands, and obviously many other bands all over the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-06 10:04 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 6, 2013 10:31

World doesn't need....amen. smoking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 6, 2013 10:39

lem motlow
i wanna see bands that came out in the last 10 or 20 years that can hold a candle to any of the acts i mentioned

The Black Angels are a band you might like to see and have formed in the last 10 years. They released their first album in 2006.

The Raveonettes are quite interesting as well (active from 2000).

Deerhunter (active from 2001) are notable because they have a lead singer (Bradford Cox) who looks like Joey Ramone and who, like Ramone, also has Marfan Syndrome.

Jimmy Page has mentioned that he likes the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, having said positive things about the guitarist (Nick Zinner).

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros had quite a catchy song out in 2009.

My Morning Jacket has been quite a hit with the college age audience in recent years, though they've been active since 1998. This song Golden is from 2003.

I discovered this band Ganglians from college radio, a cool track called Valiant Brave from about 5 years ago.

I'd name some more but I've got some French fries in the oven and their about done now, and I've got to fix myself a pizza burger as well. Cheers, and enjoy!

Date: September 6, 2013 16:01

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
GasLightStreet

I guess I'm a GRRR kind of fan as I pretty much like every song on it...50 and 80 song versions.

So... technically you're not a total GRRR fan then. Yer a GRR fan. Streets Of Love ruined it huh. That has to be what the 'pretty much like every song' means.

No, I'm definitely a GRRR fan. I left off the "!" from GRRR! to illustrate my disdain for SOL.

I thought that would have been clear. Jeesh!

Date: September 6, 2013 17:58

The world does not need a lot of albums
but,the world will get them.

The Stones are no way near the top of that list,
if they are even on it at all.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 6, 2013 20:35

JumpinJackOLantern
beachbreak

Exactly! If they don't I am certain they will look back in ten years or so with great regret.

But do you have any credibility on the issue? After all we are all still awaiting the Sons of The Beatles tour you promised.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 6, 2013 20:59

good one,that was funny... you had me going there for a minute.

now put on some stuff from the bands you were telling us about.

Date: September 7, 2013 05:36

BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
beachbreak

But do you have any credibility on the issue? After all we are all still awaiting the Sons of The Beatles tour you promised.

Don't be a lazy reader. I never promised a Sons of Beatles tour, just said it was something that should happen and that I would do everything in my power to make it happen. You do understand that James McCartney has hinted he would be open to forming a band with the other sons of the Beatles? If not, consider yourself informed. If you think it's BS just google "Sons of Beatles to form band." It's really a no-brainer and would bring joy to millions and make a lot of people very rich, or much richer than they already are.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 7, 2013 15:12

I beg to differ. The world needs a new album but with some thought behind it. Not just the same thing again. I dont think its possible due to the ego clashes.

Date: September 7, 2013 15:16

Redhotcarpet
I beg to differ. The world needs a new album but with some thought behind it. Not just the same thing again. I dont think its possible due to the ego clashes.

While I'd like to see some new creativity, giving some songwriting to RW and MT (yes, let's get him involved), after 8 or even 9 years until a new album comes out, I think I'd even be satisfied with ABB pt 2.

I can do my own editing if need be.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 7, 2013 16:05

JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
beachbreak

Don't be a lazy reader. I never promised a Sons of Beatles tour, just said it was something that should happen and that I would do everything in my power to make it happen. You do understand that James McCartney has hinted he would be open to forming a band with the other sons of the Beatles? If not, consider yourself informed. If you think it's BS just google "Sons of Beatles to form band." It's really a no-brainer and would bring joy to millions and make a lot of people very rich, or much richer than they already are.

Liar! You said it would happen in 2014.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 7, 2013 16:54

Redhotcarpet

Good point, it's always the same story, they don't do jack for years, then slap something together as quickly as possible, probably because Mick has little patience for Keith and vice versa. Obviously the results can't be great as evidenced by ABB. I can't see how much better a new album could be...yet D&G wasn't bad, so I guess it's going to depend on the writing to a large extent.

Ideally they would lay down tracks over the years and hone them as they go along, like they did in the late 60s or even for Tattoo You, wishful thinking of course!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 7, 2013 17:28

You could make the argument that the world doesn't really need another album by ANYONE. The paradigm is upside-down. Although those of us who grew up in the LP/CD eras still love "albums," the fact is that that's not how most music is "consumed" these days. It's about the song.

The Stones (and they were of course not alone in this) were prescient in the mid- to late-60's by releasing a steady stream of singles that did not appear on their next studio album.

66-69
19th Nervous Breakdown
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?
We Love You
Dandelion
Jumping Jack Flash
Honky Tonk Women

They were working, they were prolific, they didn't want to wait to the "next record" to keep their stuff in front of their audience. So they released songs, as singles, and people lapped them up. They were at the center of things and they capitalized on the fact that society was moving at light-speed and people wanted to hear what they had to say. They didn't wait for their next "album" to release new material.

The fact now is, of course, that there is no way the Stones are anything other than an oldies act and the only people interested in new material from them are people like us. People who DO like to consumer music as "albums," as statements from artists and musicians we respect (i.e., Bowie's THE NEXT DAY, earlier this year).

But if they were still vital, and if they still mattered, and if they were still a functioning band (creatively speaking), then they ought to just BE together and record and release cool shit online as they make it. But that will never happen, partly because they don't have the fire in their bellies anymore, the part of their lives as creative artists is over, and partly because even if they were into releasing music they'd be locked into that "album as statement" paradigm.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home