Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12
Re: The World Doesn't Need Another Stones Album
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 7, 2013 18:53

I do not know what the world wants, but I want a Stones album with all new songs, and no bootlegs please. A few Chuck Berry covers would be good too.

I am only a little younger than the Stones, and I am really sick and tired of others telling me what I should be thinking and doing at this age. I exercise much more than a lot of athletic thirty year olds and stay very involved with many subjects. How am I to behave at a Stones concert? Am I allowed to sway and clap to the music, Or would it make you feel more comfortable if I stayed at home? Would you have me take my rocking chair with me to the concert, along with some warm milk?

I hope this tired thread does not come popping up again.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 7, 2013 19:06

flilflam
I do not know what the world wants, but I want a Stones album with all new songs, and no bootlegs please. A few Chuck Berry covers would be good too.

I am only a little younger than the Stones, and I am really sick and tired of others telling me what I should be thinking and doing at this age. I exercise much more than a lot of athletic thirty year olds and stay very involved with many subjects. How am I to behave at a Stones concert? Am I allowed to sway and clap to the music, Or would it make you feel more comfortable if I stayed at home? Would you have me take my rocking chair with me to the concert, along with some warm milk?

I hope this tired thread does not come popping up again.

If you are only a little younger than the Stones perhaps you should be thinking along the lines of a Stannah Stair lift rather than a new Stones album.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 7, 2013 22:06

BlackHat
flilflam
I am really sick and tired of others telling me what I should

you should be thinking

Now really, what is so difficult about a simple request NOT to tell somebody what he or she should do ??? tsssssss

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2013 22:14

Rolling Hansie
BlackHat
flilflam

you should be thinking

Now really, what is so difficult about a simple request NOT to tell somebody what he or she should do ??? tsssssss

maybe we could just simply take turns telling each other what to do.

that sounds fair.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 7, 2013 22:19

flilflam
I do not know what the world wants, but I want a Stones album with all new songs

Yes please.

There are always demands for an album of blues or country covers, or finished-off outtakes, but I think the subtext here is: we don't actually want them to try new material because we're afraid we might not like it. You might not. The world might not. I might not - but I'd like to see them try. All those other safer options might produce a decent album, but they're second-bests.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 7, 2013 22:32

I disagree completely with the notion expressed by the original poster.

However, the Rolling Stones may well have already ended their careers as songwriters. It's somewhat unfortunate that even I don't expect them to release any more new albums.

But at least, I have hope for another solo album from each of these gentlemen: Mick Jagger, Mick Taylor, Ron Wood.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 7, 2013 23:23

of course it does

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 8, 2013 17:34

treaclefingers
Rolling Hansie
BlackHat
flilflam

you should be thinking

that sounds fair.

treaclefingers - please stay out of this...smoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 8, 2013 20:23

2000 LYFH
treaclefingers
Rolling Hansie
BlackHat
flilflam

you should be thinking

that sounds fair.

I might say stop telling people what to do,
but that would be telling people what to do. winking smiley

AND... the world still needs as many new Stones songs and albums and CDs and downloads and live songs and things like that as they care to create.... in other other words MOOOAAAAARRRR MOOOAAAARRRR!!!!

About the only thing the world does not need is more Stones 8-Track tapes

BTW I LOVE THE STONES
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 9, 2013 00:57

Max'sKansasCity
2000 LYFH
treaclefingers
Rolling Hansie
BlackHat
flilflam

you should be thinking

that sounds fair.

Hey Max, what are you trying to tell me ? smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

BTW I LOVE THE STONES.... ME TOO ! ! ! !
Date: September 9, 2013 01:47

Rolling Hansie
Max'sKansasCity
2000 LYFH
treaclefingers
Rolling Hansie
BlackHat
flilflam

you should be thinking

that sounds fair.

Hey Max, what are you trying to tell me ? smiling smiley

I am just trying to tell you... I mean to say... I just want to celebrate!!smileys with beer

YEAH!! YEAH!!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 9, 2013 08:02

JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
The record buying public as a whole are not really interested, the band themselves don't seem to be interested. Whilst I don't think A Bigger Bang is as bad as some people on here make it out to be I don't think they have the energy or the motivation to do anything better that will do them justice. Who would they be doing a new album for? A small collection of obsessives who once they had the thrill of unwrapping the album would then tear it to pieces after the first listen and proclaim it to b a dud.

If they have any inspiration then they should just let tracks out as they come via itunes but the days of them being able or willing to produce a cohesive album that can stand next to their body of work are gone.

The world may not need another Stones album, but they are going to get one whether they need it or not! Of course they don't have to buy it. A new album would easily sell a million copies, maybe two, or even three million.

Hey, I thought you were not going to post until October 15? Or was that Black hat or someone else?

Date: September 9, 2013 09:24

billwebster
I disagree completely with the notion expressed by the original poster.

However, the Rolling Stones may well have already ended their careers as songwriters. It's somewhat unfortunate that even I don't expect them to release any more new albums.

But at least, I have hope for another solo album from each of these gentlemen: Mick Jagger, Mick Taylor, Ron Wood.

But interestingly you don't want one from Keith Richards? Do you not consider him to be a gentlemen?

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 10, 2013 18:16

I was curious so I looked it up:

From Wikipedia

"A Bigger Bang went platinum in the US[14] and Germany,[15] and gold in Japan.[16] According to Nielsen SoundScan it sold 546,000 copies in the US,[17] and as of 31 March 2006, 2.4 million copies worldwide according to EMI.[18]
In 2009, A Bigger Bang was reissued by Universal Music Group. The US re-release was handled by Interscope Records, while Polydor Records handled all other territories"

Must have hit 3 or even 4 million by now...not bad for an album no-one needed...

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 11, 2013 00:15

bv
Please speak for yourself. I need a new album, and I am sure it will sell more than a million. And they will have Mick Taylor as guest guitarist. Not bad for a change. And they will tour it next year. Which would mean Mick Taylor will be with them on more songs on stage.

+1
+2

Date: September 11, 2013 09:16

exhpart

From Wikipedia

"A Bigger Bang went platinum in the US[14] and Germany,[15] and gold in Japan.[16] According to Nielsen SoundScan it sold 546,000 copies in the US,[17] and as of 31 March 2006, 2.4 million copies worldwide according to EMI.[18]
In 2009, A Bigger Bang was reissued by Universal Music Group. The US re-release was handled by Interscope Records, while Polydor Records handled all other territories"

Must have hit 3 or even 4 million by now...not bad for an album no-one needed...

But an album which is universally slagged off by the Stones obsessives.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 11, 2013 10:37

BlackHat
exhpart

From Wikipedia

But an album which is universally slagged off by the Stones obsessives.

Even if A BIGGER BANG is not as experimentingly enterprising as BRIDGES TO BABYLON, I belong to an apparent minority that was and am pleased by A BIGGER BANG.

Nonetheless, I would hope that a possible new album will be more informed by the enterprising spirit from BRIDGES TO BABYLON than by A BIGGER BANG.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 11, 2013 10:47

bv
Please speak for yourself. I need a new album, and I am sure it will sell more than a million. And they will have Mick Taylor as guest guitarist. Not bad for a change. And they will tour it next year. Which would mean Mick Taylor will be with them on more songs on stage.

+1

Not sure if this is really "news" but that works for me too! And I've been hearing some "rumbling", so...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 11, 2013 11:16

exhpart

From Wikipedia

I also was surprised at the time when I saw the numbers, brought here by georgelicks (even though I doubt that it hasn't broken the 3 million borderline yet, and probably never will). It is not remarkably worse than some of their albums, say, from the mid 70's, from the time when album selling was on the way of reaching its heights, or from the 80's, when it was in its peak (UNDERCOVER and DIRTY WORK sold something like three to four millions I recall).

But what is striking that the sells have lowered dramatically in their traditionally strongest market, US, and to an extent, in Europe. But this is compansated by going more 'world-wide' - the thing I suppose also helped pretty much by extending their tours to new, unseen areas. The world is bigger nowadays than in those classic rock days. If any band, The Stones have gained of 'globalization'... Since the record prices vary quite a lot around the world, the relative profit is not so big I guess as it used to be, even though the number of sold copies still are rather impressive worldwide (I know Jagger is awere of this...)

But if we look the figures in their old strong markets. Back in the day, about - or at least - 50% of their record sales did became from America (of the 8 millions of SOME GIRLS wordwide, about 6 became from US!). With A BIGGER BANG, the US percantage is about 20%. And if we look the numbers, A BIGGER BANG sold about half of what BRIDGES BY BABYLON did in America, which, by turn, sold about half what VOODOO LOUNGE did. We see the 'progression' there. I guess now, 8 to 9 years later, reaching the half million mark as A BIGGER BANG did, would be a huge achievement.

Okay, I wrote all this from a memory, so some mistakes in numbers might occur, but I claim the over-all picture is rather accurate.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 11:19 by Doxa.

Date: September 11, 2013 11:30

There is always something good on a Stones album. That, and the fact that a million or two will buy it, is reason enough: The world needs another Stones album grinning smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 11, 2013 12:09

DandelionPowderman
There is always something good on a Stones album. That, and the fact that a million or two will buy it, is reason enough: The world needs another Stones album grinning smiley

And the world is bigger than it used to be...

But it is interesting how much actually the so called phenomenon of "globalization" is still keeping the record industry alive. I think 'our' Stones is just a one example of a bigger trend. Most of the concerns I've seen are very 'Western-oriented", and the doom&gloom future is reflected from that point of view. There are still markets where there hadn't been happened dramatical changes (yet), or there the sales are still even increasing. So much things have happened since the 80's. For example, getting rid of 'Iron Curtain' in Europe opened a whole new market for bands like the Stones, who hadn't sold one official copy in many of these markets earlier. Then the rising economies in South America and Asia offered a huge new market. China still provides a possible market which is not 'utilized' profoundly yet... But but what is certain that the 'downloading' culture will reach any place sooner or later... and the guys in the high places of record industry, and their high profile clients like Jagger & co, do know that. So surely we old-school customers in Old World are to be treated with all kinds of (high price) boxes and packages while we still have an interest... But what goes for a traditional new studio album concept - a relatively cheap item which needs to sell helluva much to gain real profit but which still needs rather much a creative work, effort and time - we are living interesting times...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 12:12 by Doxa.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 11, 2013 12:15

the world needs the stones and we need new album,but the world do not need negtive people and esp on this site,need take long jupm and not come back.

Date: September 11, 2013 15:19

kish_stoned
the world needs the stones and we need new album,but the world do not need negtive people and esp on this site,need take long jupm and not come back.

Negativity, Hmmmm. Or just exploring a different perspective?

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 13, 2013 10:12

Time out! Would a Stones Christmas album appease? It's just around the corner. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 13, 2013 15:40

kish_stoned

eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 13, 2013 16:41

owlbynite
Time out! Would a Stones Christmas album appease? It's just around the corner. >grinning smiley<

No thanks! The Stones figure pretty high on the list of Artists Least Qualified To Make A Christmas Album - and to hear them attempting the required sentimental schmaltz would be truly nauseating.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 13, 2013 17:00

This seems like a perfect time to put out a new album. This month and next is packed with awesome releases by old and current artists of all genres. Stars must be aligned just right!!

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 13, 2013 19:32

the world does not need you either and no one care who you are,hahaha.
stones are way of life

Date: September 13, 2013 20:11

kish_stoned
the world does not need you either and no one care who you are,hahaha.
stones are way of life

Would you care to re-write that sentence so that it sounds right?

Date: September 13, 2013 22:31

stones are way of lifesmileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home