Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 29, 2013 02:12

His Majesty
kleermaker
His Majesty
wopperla
I love him too but think about it...He was in the band for 5 years out of fifty!

4 and a half-ish.

From somewhere in June 69 until somewhere in December 74. That makes exactly 5,5 years.

With so much emphasis given to live Taylor era by Taylorites it's really July( or November)1969 - October 1973 though. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Of course Taylor did sort of pop up on Tattoo You on a couple of songs though didn't he? (And then PMS as well)

Date: May 29, 2013 02:14

Munichhilton
SweetThing
wopperla
I love him too but think about it...He was in the band for 5 years out of fifty!

I realize, but Taylor does elevate the show. And for that reason I wish he were on more songs - By all accounts Keith and Ronnie are playing better, but the format is a bit stale (for me at least) and the warhorses could use a shot in the arm still.

No slight on Ron Wood really. If I had my druthers, Woody would get a lead vocal or two like Keith does. Maybe "I can feel the fire" or similar.

Mick doesn't care about others druthers...only his own druthers...

I imagine so. Hence the word "IF" .....

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 29, 2013 02:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 03:09 by His Majesty.

Date: May 29, 2013 02:29

His Majesty
SweetThing
His Majesty
kleermaker
His Majesty
wopperla

4 and a half-ish.

From somewhere in June 69 until somewhere in December 74. That makes exactly 5,5 years.

With so much emphasis given to live Taylor era by Taylorites it's really July( or November)1969 - October 1973 though. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Of course Taylor did sort of pop up on Tattoo You on a couple of songs though didn't he? (And then PMS as well)

Brian and other dead people appear on that new release of 1996 - Rock & Roll Circus.

Yes, but TY was presented as "new" at the time, and Taylor did record for PMS, whereas we know Brian Jones didn't add anything in 1996.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 29, 2013 02:32

kleermaker

From somewhere in June 69 until somewhere in December 74. That makes exactly 5,5 years. It's so easy. But it's not about quantity but about quality. So this years question is plain stupid anyway.

True that the years are not to be compared to each other. For example, if we think the five year period from 1962 to 1967 - Jones's strongest period - and what they did during that time, or then that Taylor five-year period from 1969 to 1974 and what they did turing that time, and then take the five year period from the last London concerts in 2007 to GRRRR!/50 COUNTING - which belongs to Wood's period - and think what they did during that time.... What for example, Ronnie did between the O2 concerts in 2007 and 2012 by "belonging to the group"? Show up in some film premiere, probably some addition to SOME GIRLS Bonus album, then finally a jam session by Keith's request, and a four-day recording session for two GRRR! tracks, talking to a tape for a film, then rehearsals for the tour. Did I miss something? Oh yeah, an addition to Stu's track. (Actually not much more than what a non-member Mick Taylor contributed at the given time to the band...eye popping smiley)

I mean, the years that make fifty if put together do vary a lot... And more to the beginning we go, the heavier and more important they are. CROSSFIRE HURRICANE gives us a good picture of it...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 02:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 29, 2013 03:34

You'e not counting Ronnie's first five years with the group? Seems more fair to compare early with early rather than latest....if I'm following you...

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 29, 2013 04:07

angee
You'e not counting Ronnie's first five years with the group? Seems more fair to compare early with early rather than latest....if I'm following you...

No - this was not any kind of Taylor vs. Wood contest here, but just to show that there is difference between the years and eras in this band's existence. So just counting the years how long each member has been in the band does not actually give us a right picture, but we have to look what actually they have done/achieved during that time. Especially during Wood's stunt there have been rather many insignificant periods - including times when the band in practise call it quits (86-89), and the last five years almost without any activity. Charlie made a good comment about it a while ago - something to the effect that he don't really understand what calling it quits actually mean, since they don't do anything - there is nothing to stop.

Each document of their own - CROSSFIRE HURRICANE, IN ACCORDING TO, LIFE - gives us a rather clear picture how they weight their longetivity and the years and times that actually matter in their story.

My point was just to show the absurdity of saying, say, Brian was "only" seven years of 50, or Taylor "only" 5 of 50... Just look at those very years and see what they did then!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 04:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: May 29, 2013 06:14

America needs to see Taylor play that Angie solo. We never had that chance.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 29, 2013 07:09

MT is poorly utilized on this tour which is a real shame. Virtually every song being played on stage. MT recorded with them. In fact, he is upstaging Jagger on every song her plays with the band. Just my opinion based on the standing ovations after his songs.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 29, 2013 08:03

It is a joke. They trot him out for a song and then put him back in his cage. Somewhere Bill Wyman is chuckling.

Ronnie and KR couldn't hold his jock strap when it comes to fluid guitaring but they are his master.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 29, 2013 09:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 03:09 by His Majesty.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: May 29, 2013 09:50

Watch out frightened people!
MT on more songs does not mean MT's show, RW's funeral, KR's eclipse, nor MJ's shame, but rebirth for all…

ROLLING STONES' REBIRTH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 10:01 by MarkSchneider.

Date: May 29, 2013 10:02

Doxa
angee

No - this was not any kind of Taylor vs. Wood contest here, but just to show that there is difference between the years and eras in this band's existence. So just counting the years how long each member has been in the band does not actually give us a right picture, but we have to look what actually they have done/achieved during that time. Especially during Wood's stunt there have been rather many insignificant periods - including times when the band in practise call it quits (86-89), and the last five years almost without any activity. Charlie made a good comment about it a while ago - something to the effect that he don't really understand what calling it quits actually mean, since they don't do anything - there is nothing to stop.

Each document of their own - CROSSFIRE HURRICANE, IN ACCORDING TO, LIFE - gives us a rather clear picture how they weight their longetivity and the years and times that actually matter in their story.

My point was just to show the absurdity of saying, say, Brian was "only" seven years of 50, or Taylor "only" 5 of 50... Just look at those very years and see what they did then!

- Doxa

To show that this not any Taylor/Wood-controversy (I can't make sense that of anyhow): When Wood joined the band, he was a part of a "living and breathing band") for some eight years, during which they toured and made records constantly, as they had done since the beginning. But between 1983 and 1989, roughly, six years, the band only made one album (not their strongest) and one gig (for Stu). Ronnie was said to suffer from poverty even at the time... After STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE/Highwire adventure of two years, the band practically did nothing for the next three years. After the two year-deal of VOODOO LOUNGE there was a holiday of two years. Then BRIDDGES TO BABYLON/NO SECURITY project took some three years of their life, to be followed a three years of no activity. LICKS project took some two years, followed by two years of silence. A BIGGER BANG project took three years but the time to recover took some five years.

All in all, if we look at the "existence" of the band since 1983 (after UNDERCOVER that I take to be their last work as a still working band), there is roughly some 20 years of no activity of 30 years (at least from the view of their second guitarist)! This is to say that the band was no longer any "living and breathing band" but a semi-retired band to be reunited for certain projects here and then. The 50th Anniversary point has only significance as a reference to their birth year, not what has happened during those fifty years.

Someone once summed it up here that "twenty years of building up a legacy, and then 30 years of celebrating it", and I think that is spot on.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 10:20 by Doxa.

Date: May 29, 2013 10:38

But back to Taylor... seemingly last night (Chicago I) was a normal day in office for him and for us who are waiting more from him... But watching the reports it is nice to notice that "Midnight Rambler" - that hardcore fan oddity which is never played in radio - seemed to be the best crowd pleaser (again). Seemingly the "casual fans" or "tourists" - to whom these shows are aimed for (as is argued in recent threads by the authorities here) - are not so ignorant as "we" take them to be, or seemingly have a better taste than assumed, and are able to notice when something special is happening!thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 10:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 29, 2013 11:02

I think it would be more effective if everyone would send this message wanting Mick Taylor on more songs in social media, especially Rolling Stones and individual members' Facebook-pages and Twitter-accounts, I think that Mick Jagger and the rest of the band are more interested in Facebook and Twitter than this site because this site can be seen by them as hard core fan site, instead the social media can be seen more reflecting the general opinion. And Mick Jagger has also said that he really uses Facebook quite a lot.

I'm not putting down this site at all, I'm only a little skeptical the effect this site has on Mick Jagger's decision making, I'm not sure if social media can have a bigger effect but I think there is a bigger chance it has.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 11:03 by rollingon.

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: May 29, 2013 13:40

I hope that The Stones will do the Multi Taylor surprises again for Chicago #3. It's not the first (nor the last) time The Stones treat a 3rd show at the same location as something special!!!!

P

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: May 29, 2013 13:44

Aren't those social pages "moderated"? I can hardly see anything controversial.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 13:44 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: May 29, 2013 16:20

Yeah, they are. I was giving my honest and constructive (not vulgar or impolite) opinion on the Mick Jagger facebook page during the Superheavy releases. I saw it was removed! Then I noticed this in the topic wondering what happened to my response (as I was wondering what others were thinking as well).. then I got banned from the MJ facebook. Since then I can not comment or like any more.

Date: May 29, 2013 16:29

I had a thread removed on this site. I posted disappointment at this tour, the ticket prices and how we were promised more MT and the thread was removed.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 29, 2013 16:44

Doxa
But back to Taylor... seemingly last night (Chicago I) was a normal day in office for him and for us who are waiting more from him... But watching the reports it is nice to notice that "Midnight Rambler" - that hardcore fan oddity which is never played in radio - seemed to be the best crowd pleaser (again). Seemingly the "casual fans" or "tourists" - to whom these shows are aimed for (as is argued in recent threads by the authorities here) - are not so ignorant as "we" take them to be, or seemingly have a better taste than assumed, and are able to notice when something special is happening!thumbs up

- Doxa
Good point. That whole "casual fans only know and want the warhorses, the radio hits" is so wrong, so inaccurate, yet like many things it is just said and people accept that it is true. The only thing that bores the casuals are the keith songs.

Date: May 29, 2013 17:34

duffydawg
I had a thread removed on this site. I posted disappointment at this tour, the ticket prices and how we were promised more MT and the thread was removed.

I bet your thread was the first and the only one, right?

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:55

Doxa

- Doxa

smoke on the water , stairway to heaven ,paradise by the dashboardlight,(fill in with some of your choices), life's been good.etc. they all get airtime.

somehow midnight rambler ,an equal of those "epic " songs ,is left behind on the radio.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:09

Having seen Taylor drunk as a skunk and totally out of it on numerous occasions, it certainly is a pleasure to see him now. Whatever the reason, musical, insurance, contracts, Jagger, I don´t care. Main thing is that he is playing with The Stones, in a good shape, and thereby getting public attention from tens of thousands of fans once more. A gigantic step from playing crappy blues clubs in little known small towns in Europe... It´s been so sad to see him sometimes, so I fully enjoy seeing him proud and joyful on a big stage to complete satisfaction from the crowd.
I wish him all the best. I hope he will stay sober, I hope they´re all good friends, I hope he will play some more songs, I hope he will get his fare share of the money, and most of all I hope he will be able to take care of himself and his career after this tour.
To me I think the list of songs he did recently, Sway, Knockin´, Rambler and Satisfaction is more or less the most we may hope for. Sure he could play All down the line, Sympathy, Shelter and so on, but the four listed is great. I don´t need any other "guests" if I get that in London.

Anyway, thumbs up for Taylors cleaning up.

Date: May 29, 2013 22:08

Keith: You have stated umpteenth times thinks like these: Rolling Stones still are on the road becouse we as a band want to find ou how far we musically are able to reach. Every time we play JJF or any other song we discover a new way of playing it and having fun and become a better band. You have said it for years in all kind of formats, ad nauseam... I remember you said in a spanish tv show: "we can't stop, we are like Columbus....we need to check if the world is round and how far we can reach". We are always evolving...etc.

Well Keith....I take your word for it....Face the challenge. A lot of fans think the band can turn this tour into the best one if you, Ron, Mick Taylor, Charlie and Mick ...spread your wings to fly high...

Either way you can still celebrate the 50th anniversary touring as usual. Which is not bad....but....why deliberately miss the chance?.

Date: May 29, 2013 22:21

Why they can't do a 3 guitar attack on all of or most of the show is beyond me. It is clear Taylor gives and takes - he knows its no longer his band. During MR last night he let Woody do good parts of the solo. This included him leaning on Ronnie and not playing while Ronnie played his solo.

Why can't they let him on some songs to do some rhythm and then some shows do solos and trade back and forth.

This is all very ridiculous and disappointing. Bill W is chuckling back in the UK.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 29, 2013 22:25

As respectfully as I can put this..

Can this thread be moved to the one recently created where it belongs??
The "crazy complaint" thread??

Date: May 29, 2013 22:25

duffydawg
Why they can't do a 3 guitar attack on all of or most of the show is beyond me. It is clear Taylor gives and takes - he knows its no longer his band. During MR last night he let Woody do good parts of the solo. This included him leaning on Ronnie and not playing while Ronnie played his solo.

Why can't they let him on some songs to do some rhythm and then some shows do solos and trade back and forth.

This is all very ridiculous and disappointing. Bill W is chuckling back in the UK.

eye rolling smiley

Date: May 30, 2013 00:00

DandelionPowderman
duffydawg

I bet your thread was the first and the only one, right?

No. I am not an instant troll. Nice try.

Date: May 30, 2013 00:02

MisterDDDD

You can think what you want but I was in a Box last night with 3 professional musicians and long-time Stones fans. They all said the same thing- its ridiculous to keep Mick Taylor backstage when songs like Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, SFTD would be greatly improved by his virtuosity....

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 30, 2013 00:20

MisterDDDD

no, that thread is for crazy complaints. You think "we want Mick Taylor on more songs please" is crazy?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home