Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 30
Re: Why are people so happy that the most expensive tickets aren't selling well?
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 08:39

BlackHat
The simple answer is that people don't like greed.

...when they're broke.

Re: Why are people so happy that the most expensive tickets aren't selling well?
Date: May 2, 2013 08:50

backstreetboy1
im the biggest stones fan in the world.but there greed is very distasteful.

I can see that. As somebody who was never alive for the early days, who was born during the era of the sponsored humongo-tours, it's always been part of it for me. Since before I was even a twinkle in my father's eye they have been the embodiment of rock star excess, they pretty much invented it. I've always kind of enjoyed how super rich they were, which when I was younger I just saw as a sign of how successful and cool they were. People don't throw money at shitty bands. The fact that Keith probably snorted up the face value of my entire rows tickets as a "pick me up" before the show didn't bother me. I just thought if I worked hard enough maybe people would pay me that much money to play music.

As an adult I'm not as impressed with greed, but that attitude of not being surprised or caring whether or not the Stones were grabbing for cash has remained. Maybe ticket prices have gone up recently, but they've always been an expensive band to follow.

Date: May 2, 2013 08:57

NoCode0680
backstreetboy1

I can see that. As somebody who was never alive for the early days, who was born during the era of the sponsored humongo-tours, it's always been part of it for me. Since before I was even a twinkle in my father's eye they have been the embodiment of rock star excess, they pretty much invented it. I've always kind of enjoyed how super rich they were, which when I was younger I just saw as a sign of how successful and cool they were. People don't throw money at shitty bands. The fact that Keith probably snorted up the face value of my entire rows tickets as a "pick me up" before the show didn't bother me. I just thought if I worked hard enough maybe people would pay me that much money to play music.

As an adult I'm not as impressed with greed, but that attitude of not being surprised or caring whether or not the Stones were grabbing for cash has remained. Maybe ticket prices have gone up recently, but they've always been an expensive band to follow.

For their sake, I hope there is some plausible explanation for the high ticket prices. Maybe there is method to their alleged madness. One can only hope.

Date: May 2, 2013 09:04

BlackHat
The simple answer is that people don't like greed.

Why don't we wait until all the facts are in before we judge them. Do you really believe that the Rolling Stones are greedy people? Or is it more complex than just simple greed?

Date: May 2, 2013 09:07

JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680
backstreetboy1

For their sake, I hope there is some plausible explanation for the high ticket prices. Maybe there is method to their alleged madness. One can only hope.

I can't help but thinking it's not simple greed. At their age, and with all the money they have already, I wouldn't think it would be a motivator.

This could be wrong, but I've sort of assumed the prices were more to add prestige. I think Mick always wants to be a top draw, for tickets to see them to be a precious commodity and not something the morning zoo crew at whatever local station just give away to caller 10. When they come to town, the don't want to be just another show, they want to be news.

Date: May 2, 2013 09:11

NoCode0680
JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680
backstreetboy1

I can't help but thinking it's not simple greed. At their age, and with all the money they have already, I wouldn't think it would be a motivator.

This could be wrong, but I've sort of assumed the prices were more to add prestige. I think Mick always wants to be a top draw, for tickets to see them to be a precious commodity and not something the morning zoo crew at whatever local station just give away to caller 10. When they come to town, the don't want to be just another show, they want to be news.

What you have said here could be closer to the truth than anything I have heard to date on this subject. I don't believe any of the Stones are greedy at heart. It is much more complex than just simple greed.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 09:13

whitem8
Yeah it is not that it is happiness, but more Karma. The greed is really pathetic and especially to celebrate 50 years to do it in such a crass and greedy way. Cumupance.

I agree 100%. I've seen 'em 23 times since Steel Wheels and will see them at Philly twice. I've bought every album in multiple formats, videos, singles, picture discs, blah blah blah.

It seems to me they could have gone out on such a huge cushion of goodwill by doing something like you could imagine Pearl Jam doing. The possibilities for creating goodwill are enormous, yet they went in the worst possible direction. And Make no Mistake, I'm not calling for a Bono saving the world type of mentality; just something reasonable, fun and still plenty profitable for the retirement funds. And I say all this with a great deal of the edge taken of because I was able to get the $85's to each Philly show, though only through my cousin in Sacramento's efforts. That was another screwed up thing with the Comcast tickets fiasco, but whatever.

The $85's seemed a step in the right direction, but it looks a little less benevolent and some of the luster is off them now. We'll see how that all shakes out tomorrow, though I kind of see the $85 thing as an evolving process that will be used as a big bandage to heal the wounds of each city as need be. I do think that this can only help the people who are worried that they have two many pairs for their household. They need the people, and they need no more bad publicity.

I have been very lucky to have seen a lot of rarities, debut songs, unusal and long shows at by and large a fair price, but I've also sat in deep center field watching the video screens and paid through the nose for the privilege of absorbing the delicate intricacies of Ronnie and Keith displaying their amazing Ancient Art of Weaving cigarettes around the stage for two hours.

I'm more than willing to let bygones be gone; but sometimes, these freakin' guys won't let me do that. As I've heard a cuple of times now, "Remeber back in the old days, when the tickest were only $450?" They push the greed thing so hard and relentlessly, that it's not only angering from the taking the piss angle, but it's also really sad and disconcerting that they seem to be heading in the same damn direction that Chuck Berry took. It's kind of understandable in his case because he was treated badly, went to jail and so on, but what the hell is with these clowns? When does a man have enough money, sex drugs and rock and roll that the urge hits him to give back? With M&K, the answer appears to be MF'N never.

As I said, I'm going to go and party like its 1999 NS (see what I did there?). I didn't go to the winter shows, but from what I've seen from reviews and the PPV, I'm excited. One of the real drags of this whole thing is that I know one of the main conversation points in the parking lots and bars is going to be about this instead all the myriad topics that could and should be discussed. Important matters like what what was your favorite shirt Keith wore in 72. Thumbs up or down on the black vinyl 1978 pants? MT vs RW: who was the better back up vocalist? Scholarly subjects that really might never be discussed again with people face to face in a parking lot before the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 09:17 by shawnriffhard1.

Date: May 2, 2013 09:16

shawnriffhard1
It seems to me they could have gone out on such a huge cushion of goodwill by doing something like you could imagine Pearl Jam doing.

They've gotten a bit greedy themselves.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: May 2, 2013 09:28

NoCode0680

That one is by far the best comment on the expensive ticket issue. We as fans made them lick the stardom and wealth and it was us at the end who followed blindly through the years when econimics seem to be fine and credits have been spoken without taken precautions.
At the end the fans may have suffered from crises but not so the Stones themselves and/or the promoters who caught us with fancy VIP packages (at least one: metongue sticking out smiley).
Anyway on the night of the show don't blame the money you spent or the money you didn't spend on the Stones, just enjoy the show which I'm sure you will no matter what price you paid. Once again the London shows had been worth every penny I overpaid on every single song.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 09:36

The Stones have never made pretenses at being righteous. In fact, they keep all they money they give to charity quiet. They're not Pearl Jam. I don't go to see Pearl Jam.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 2, 2013 09:49

Grison
NoCode0680

That one is by far the best comment on the expensive ticket issue. We as fans made them lick the stardom and wealth and it was us at the end who followed blindly through the years when econimics seem to be fine and credits have been spoken without taken precautions.
At the end the fans may have suffered from crises but not so the Stones themselves and/or the promoters who caught us with fancy VIP packages (at least one: metongue sticking out smiley).
Anyway on the night of the show don't blame the money you spent or the money you didn't spend on the Stones, just enjoy the show which I'm sure you will no matter what price you paid. Once again the London shows had been worth every penny I overpaid on every single song.

Mr Grison, with the tickets you have bought for you money is obviously no problem!

Date: May 2, 2013 09:51

shawnriffhard1
whitem8
Yeah it is not that it is happiness, but more Karma. The greed is really pathetic and especially to celebrate 50 years to do it in such a crass and greedy way. Cumupance.

I agree 100%. I've seen 'em 23 times since Steel Wheels and will see them at Philly twice. I've bought every album in multiple formats, videos, singles, picture discs, blah blah blah.

It seems to me they could have gone out on such a huge cushion of goodwill by doing something like you could imagine Pearl Jam doing. The possibilities for creating goodwill are enormous, yet they went in the worst possible direction. And Make no Mistake, I'm not calling for a Bono saving the world type of mentality; just something reasonable, fun and still plenty profitable for the retirement funds. And I say all this with a great deal of the edge taken of because I was able to get the $85's to each Philly show, though only through my cousin in Sacramento's efforts. That was another screwed up thing with the Comcast tickets fiasco, but whatever.

The $85's seemed a step in the right direction, but it looks a little less benevolent and some of the luster is off them now. We'll see how that all shakes out tomorrow, though I kind of see the $85 thing as an evolving process that will be used as a big bandage to heal the wounds of each city as need be. I do think that this can only help the people who are worried that they have two many pairs for their household. They need the people, and they need no more bad publicity.

I have been very lucky to have seen a lot of rarities, debut songs, unusal and long shows at by and large a fair price, but I've also sat in deep center field watching the video screens and paid through the nose for the privilege of absorbing the delicate intricacies of Ronnie and Keith displaying their amazing Ancient Art of Weaving cigarettes around the stage for two hours.

I'm more than willing to let bygones be gone; but sometimes, these freakin' guys won't let me do that. As I've heard a cuple of times now, "Remeber back in the old days, when the tickest were only $450?" They push the greed thing so hard and relentlessly, that it's not only angering from the taking the piss angle, but it's also really sad and disconcerting that they seem to be heading in the same damn direction that Chuck Berry took. It's kind of understandable in his case because he was treated badly, went to jail and so on, but what the hell is with these clowns? When does a man have enough money, sex drugs and rock and roll that the urge hits him to give back? With M&K, the answer appears to be MF'N never.

As I said, I'm going to go and party like its 1999 NS (see what I did there?). I didn't go to the winter shows, but from what I've seen from reviews and the PPV, I'm excited. One of the real drags of this whole thing is that I know one of the main conversation points in the parking lots and bars is going to be about this instead all the myriad topics that could and should be discussed. Important matters like what what was your favorite shirt Keith wore in 72. Thumbs up or down on the black vinyl 1978 pants? MT vs RW: who was the better back up vocalist? Scholarly subjects that really might never be discussed again with people face to face in a parking lot before the show.

For starters, they should dump the promoters and begin to do their own promotions! Dump the arena shows. Do strictly clubs and theaters. Charge $100.00 for clubs and $200.00 for theaters. Record new music! Follow this plan and all will be forgotten.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 10:48

NoCode0680
As somebody who was never alive for the early days, who was born during the era of the sponsored humongo-tours, it's always been part of it for me.
Reminds about my never knowing the Stones as a young band (except in "history" books). I've only known them as a middle-aged+ band. So when I got my first Stones album and older people immediately said about recent promo photos, "The Stones have gotten old," I'd think, "Oh? This is all I know them as. This is what they are to me. (Don't spoil my fun)."

Posted by: canuguessmyname ()
Date: May 2, 2013 10:54

A few Tours ago, the nose bleeds were $39. Then they went up to $69. But to have them jump up to $150+ fees and taxes, $163. Well, that's a bit much to pay, to sit in the rafters, (the way the economy is and all).

"Beauty is only skin deep, we're all the same underneath." (KR) Love Is Strong...

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:03

Title5Take1
NoCode0680
As somebody who was never alive for the early days, who was born during the era of the sponsored humongo-tours, it's always been part of it for me.
Reminds about my never knowing the Stones as a young band (except in "history" books). I've only known them as a middle-aged+ band. So when I got my first Stones album and older people immediately said about recent promo photos, "The Stones have gotten old," I'd think, "Oh? This is all I know them as. This is what they are to me. (Don't spoil my fun)."

i know what you mean. when is saw them for the first time in 89 people told me "i saw them in 72 and they were already over the hill"

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:07

THE ONLY SOLUTION FOR SO MANY REASONS IS TO MAKE THE WHOLE FLOOR OTHER THAN THE PIT, GENERAL ADMISSION FOR $85

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:10

When people win 1000$ a month and the ticket is 500$, your choice is easily done. It's like usual, pleasure is for the richers. A man said the richer will get feed and the poorest will have the appetite.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:21

DREAMTIME
THE ONLY SOLUTION FOR SO MANY REASONS IS TO MAKE THE WHOLE FLOOR OTHER THAN THE PIT, GENERAL ADMISSION FOR $85
well you nearly got that at the Hyde Park for 95 £ Sterling where Jagger wants to see the white in the eyes of the Tier 3 Fans. smileys with beer

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:28

uhbuhgullayew
The Stones made $85 tickets available. I bought some and so did many others on this board.

So why do people (including those that bought $85 tickets) mock them and delight in the fact that the expensive tickets are not selling?

Personally, I am very grateful that the $85 tickets were made available and very appreciative of several people on this board that helped so many people buy tickets for $85.

We're going to see The Stones! smiling smiley

I don't think it makes anyone happy, it's pretty depressing really, the end of a 50 year winning streak, and when you're depressed you get mean I suppose :-(

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:56

NoCode0680
I've always kind of enjoyed how super rich they were, which when I was younger I just saw as a sign of how successful and cool they were.

wow, I've heard of a lot of reasons for people being into the Rolling Stones, but their wealth or evidence of their value due to mainstream success is not one I've heard before --- I considered the Stones "cool" almost despite this. And no, I'm not poor, and grew up with kids who went to private school with Marlon when they lived in NY. Goes to show there are infinite reasons people are drawn to this band.

NoCode0680
People don't throw money at shitty bands.

...I, I don't even know where to start.

- swiss

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 2, 2013 14:30

Most people here aren't happy. A sense that this is Karma is, I think, the best description.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 2, 2013 14:36

I am happy for two reasons. First, as a result of the poor ticket sales, many of those who could not afford to go otherwise will have a shot at cheaper tickets, including additional $85 tickets as they become available. Second, it's nice that on some occasions, the resellers get hammered.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 2, 2013 14:38

JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680
JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680
backstreetboy1

What you have said here could be closer to the truth than anything I have heard to date on this subject. I don't believe any of the Stones are greedy at heart. It is much more complex than just simple greed.

No it is in fact very simple. They want to get the absolute most money they can get from the tour. That's it. They are way beyond caring about anything else.

I find no contadiction in loving the Stones' music but recognizing that they are the greediest of bastards. There's no need to make up crap about how altruistic they are, how much they care for the fans.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 2, 2013 14:53

gotdablouse
uhbuhgullayew
The Stones made $85 tickets available. I bought some and so did many others on this board.

So why do people (including those that bought $85 tickets) mock them and delight in the fact that the expensive tickets are not selling?

Personally, I am very grateful that the $85 tickets were made available and very appreciative of several people on this board that helped so many people buy tickets for $85.

We're going to see The Stones! smiling smiley

I don't think it makes anyone happy, it's pretty depressing really, the end of a 50 year winning streak, and when you're depressed you get mean I suppose :-(

That's close to how I feel. I'm more disappointed than anything that greed has sullied what should have been a celebration.

But it's the truth.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:13

I don't think it's GREED per se. They're rich, you know? winking smiley

Imho Mick fell for the BS idea that's so pervading in the high society aka the 1% clique : "if you're not expensive you're nothing" aka "the price of a thing makes its value".

Make a thing and sell it for a reasonable price you're one in a million that is a a bozo.
Sell the same thing (a purse an artbook a Cd player or... a rock show) at 20 times its genuine value, you've part of an elite.

If the average Joe Blow band charges 80$ for a ticket at the Staples you're entitled to charge 600 right? Cos you're the Stones!

I'm sure Mick made that mistake cos he only lives among ppl from the 1% high society. Alas it doesn't work in the rock field where ppl are mostly working-class = they know the value of things and they don't buy this BS 600$ scam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 16:15 by dcba.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:16

Well put, dcba.
That's a big part of it for sure.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:21

These prices are insane. Many of us have gladly been paying bigtime bucks for years to see these guys. As an 18 year old I saved for months to buy one 11th row main floor $300 ticket on the No Security tour. And I have paid several hundred dollars for shows since then but the scaling and pricing of this tour took it to a level that is just completely absurd. Clearly the public has spoken and it makes me smile.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 16:23 by mnewman505.

Date: May 2, 2013 18:12

swiss
NoCode0680
I've always kind of enjoyed how super rich they were, which when I was younger I just saw as a sign of how successful and cool they were.

wow, I've heard of a lot of reasons for people being into the Rolling Stones, but their wealth or evidence of their value due to mainstream success is not one I've heard before --- I considered the Stones "cool" almost despite this. And no, I'm not poor, and grew up with kids who went to private school with Marlon when they lived in NY. Goes to show there are infinite reasons people are drawn to this band.

NoCode0680
People don't throw money at shitty bands.

...I, I don't even know where to start.

- swiss

swiss, I'm not sure if we have a language barrier or something, but you completely took the wrong message from my post. Or maybe I didn't word it the right way. I'm not saying I like the Stones BECAUSE they're rich like you made it out to be. It's one of those image things I find amusing/entertaining, like everybody bought into the bad boy image at one point or another. I did say "I've always kind of enjoyed how super rich they were", but I didn't say it was WHAT I enjoyed about the Stones, that would be the music of course. If being rich were what I cared about I wouldn't be here, I'd be on the Warren Buffett message board taking part in one of those classic "Buffett vs Gates" threads. And I said the wealth was a sign of how successful and cool they are, not that they're cool and successful BECAUSE they're rich. The wealth is a symptom of their success, of the fact that 50 years after forming they can still put on good shows, it's the side effect of a legendary career.

And the most important part of my post, which you either didn't read or intentionally deleted to make your point, was that this was an opinion formed as a kid, and I said I'm not as impressed with the money these days. The only lasting effect of that opinion is that from a early age I became immune to Stones cash grabs. I'm not saying I approve of them, but they don't surprise or anger me. I was just saying, as a kid living this boring life in Texas and suddenly seeing this big legendary glamorous rock band (at that point they were already an institution) come to town with their insanely large stage, helicopters, and all the other bells and whistles that come with being "The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World", I was in awe. I had a guitar at home, however improbable, I had the weapon at home to achieve that same amount of commercial and financial success. That old man up there posing and wearing a skull ring started out life in even worse circumstances than me, and there he was up there a millionaire rock star, loved by millions. Should all that non-musical stuff and the image impressed me? Probably not, but cut me some slack I was a teenager, my priorities were eating, shitting and trying to get a blow job, not necessarily in that order. I was impressionable, I couldn't shut up about that stupid bridge going to the B-Stage for weeks. And as I said, as an adult their wealth does not impress me as much, but having grown up with it I was somewhat immune to getting angry over their "greed".

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 2, 2013 19:13

drbryant
I am happy for two reasons. First, as a result of the poor ticket sales, many of those who could not afford to go otherwise will have a shot at cheaper tickets, including additional $85 tickets as they become available. Second, it's nice that on some occasions, the resellers get hammered.

<<< First, as a result of the poor ticket sales, many of those who could not afford to go otherwise will have a shot at cheaper tickets >>> thumbs up

<<< it's nice that on some occasions, the resellers get hammered >>> thumbs up cool smiley hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: High Priced Tickets not Selling
Date: May 2, 2013 19:35

Thats a fact. Ticket Brokers taking it in the shorts!

Look at stub hub lots of tickets being sold below face value.

Also appears that tomorrows show in LA is stating to get a little more interest.

I wonder how. Anyone posting here in LA? Are the radio stations giving blocks

of tickets away?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 30

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home