Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 30
Re: Media picks up story of ticket sales: "Stones Gather Moss at $600 a seat"
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:52

Don't think the band are that bothered as long as it's 70% full-they've got their money

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 2, 2013 12:23

exhpart
Don't think the band are that bothered as long as it's 70% full-they've got their money

i sure hope it will be, and trust that it will, but it's not a slam dunk.
ticketmaster has to dump a lot of tickets fast, and they are competing with scalpers dumping tickets too.

in oakland (i'm from northern california), stubhub has over 1,000 seats for sale in the secondary market *below face value* in the *lower level alone*.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 2, 2013 12:28

Wow, 1,023 tickets for Oakland and 1,532 for San Jose ?! [www.stubhub.com] - Pit ticket at $1050 too...hope it wasn't bought at $1500 but since it's the face value, it probably was.

Date: May 2, 2013 12:31

gotdablouse
Wow, 1,023 tickets for Oakland and 1,532 for San Jose ?! [www.stubhub.com] - Pit ticket at $1050 too...hope it wasn't bought at $1500 but since it's the face value, it probably was.

there are actually more than that available, when i did i search for oakland and just looked at lower level they have over 1,000 seats...

overall i think there are over 1,000 sets of tickets for sale total, not just 1,000 tickets...

and we know ticketmaster has a huge set of tickets unsold too.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 2, 2013 14:57

dcba
100% OT but Dean I'm looking forward to reading your hilarious and spot-on reviews! thumbs up

+1

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:56

Thank you! But at this point, I just can't decide. Need a new fridge.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:01

DeanGoodman
Thank you! But at this point, I just can't decide. Need a new fridge.

just buy a bar fridge...they're only around a hundred.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:05

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 17:12 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:53

Max'sKansasCity
Damn it!! Now they tell me the answer is investment banking?
I could have used that information years ago, I wonder if its too late to start now?

Then they should have played New York, Wall Street

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:05

So happy!!!

They deserve this with their greed. Nothing says rock and roll better than a $600+ ticket.

Lefsetz Letter Blog: Stones Tickets
Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:05

this guy's is an industry insider who has a popular blog....

[lefsetz.com]

Stones Tickets

It’s a disaster.

And it’s hiding in plain sight. All you’ve got to do is go to their site and see what’s available, your jaw will drop.

Enthralled with the ancient British rockers, the mainstream press has completely dropped the ball on this story. So busy reporting last weekend’s club gig, the sycophantic reporters refuse to do any…reporting. To see that the bottom just dropped out of the Stones business.

Yes, go to Rolling Stones

And click to “Get Tickets.”

Then pull up May 3rd’s gig at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, America’s number two market, home to more poseurs than anywhere but the Cote d’Azur.

First you’ll be stunned how seamlessly AXS works. We’ve been told for eons that Ticketmaster is an unbeatable champion. But AXS is faster, easier and just an all-around better experience.

So pick the May 3rd gig. If you can’t navigate to this page, stop reading this now, you’re too ignorant to get the points I’m going to be making anyway.

Select 2 seats. Don’t allow for splits. There are frequently single seats available in good sections for the most desirable gigs.

Select “Best seat at any price level.”

Then click on “Find Tickets.”

Whew!

You can sit right down front!

But it gets better!

You can still get 8 seats together in desirable sections!

Which means…

Sales are horrific.

It’s even worse for the May 20th gig. You can still get 8 seats together right down front!

How did this happen?

GREED!

Let me tell you how this works. AEG pays the Stones whether they sell out or they don’t, whether anybody shows up or the hall is empty.

This is a far cry from the way business was done in the years the Stones became the “World’s Greatest Rock & Roll Band.”

Used to be there was a guarantee, and then a split after break even.

But then Michael Cohl revolutionized the business.

And then Bob Sillerman rolled up the promoters and the acts had a field day, raping big time promoters for huge guarantees.

And the small shows got squeezed out, only the big ones counted in the mind of the public. And the Internet burgeoned. And suddenly, scalping became rampant. Even via the eBay company StubHub, never mind by individuals speculating.

And the game was rigged. There were so many pre-sales and holdbacks that demand seemed to outstrip supply in all cases. So resale prices went through the roof!

And until 2008, everybody was loaded with cash, the rich still are, they want to go to the show not to see it, but to say they were there.

And Mick Jagger is pissed these people have more money than he does. He wants to fly private and vacation without the hoi polloi, so he needs to rip you off, he needs to get all that money!

That’s what the inflated ticket prices are all about. Making sure scalpers don’t get the markup.

But this time around, prices are so damn high the public is balking, which surprises even me, because this truly looks like the last tour. But what we’ve learned here is the mania surrounding recent Stones shows has been created by the press, there’s just not that much demand, people cared more about Miley Cyrus and Beanie Babies. Yes, parents care more about their kids than decrepit rockers.

The initial shows last fall did well. Because of the mainstream press around the marketing angle of fifty years…

But just like the Cream comeback was an event in London and a dud in New York City, the bloom is off the rose, there’s no story, people just don’t care.

Do they care for $100?

A lot more.

Then again, the Stones have been doing weak business for eons. You could always get a ticket.

So where does this leave us?

In the land of Kid Rock. Where everybody scales back, where we have a reset, where even the execs take less.

Because what once was is no longer.

The Stones have jumped the shark.

And that means most of the other classic rock acts have too.

Furthermore, if you think the Stones are phenomenal in concert, you haven’t seen them, or are used to the Grateful Dead. They lock on occasionally, otherwise, it’s rough.

So if you’re against paperless ticketing, you’re a weasel. That’s what delivered $600 tickets, fear that the scalpers would take too much of the profit.

And if you’re against airline style variable pricing, you’re part of the problem too. Because if we had such a system, AEG could lower the price and sell out. But now they can’t.

Oh, they’ll find some way to fill the hall. The biggest stars paper, from Springsteen to Kenny Chesney.

And a loss is in the offing, unless the Stones give back.

But they won’t.

But maybe they will. Dainty dropped out because he couldn’t come up with the money. Maybe if AEG does a great job they’ll get a better, profitable deal in the rest of the world.

Yes, at some point, everybody drops out. The deal becomes too expensive. Not only for the promoters, but the public.

But this is what income inequality has wrought. Acts pissed that record sales have dropped have raised ticket prices so high the public has now cried UNCLE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 16:08 by mnewman505.

Re: Lefsetz Letter Blog: Stones Tickets
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:08

Three people already sent me this blog this morning, I think it could make some waves.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:17

The Stones brought this mess on to themselves by their never ending greed,and their desire to screw their fan base.Karma is a bitch...>grinning smiley<

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:25

He misses one key point. The Stones didn't @#$%& the promoters with a high guarantee. The promoters @#$%& themselves by not knowing their market - that's supposed to be their specialty. What are the Stones supposed to say? "Um, we think maybe you've overestimated the demand for our shows. Please offer us a lower guarantee"?

Posted by: twotonguekisses ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:31

That is true, why would they say "no 80 million is too much! Make it 30 million and we got a deal!"... But the guarantees are killing lots of tours, Eagles, Tom Petty, Lilith Fair have all canceled shows over the last few years because crazy guarantees put ticket prices on the moon...

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:36

This guy is only angry because he can't get in for free. That's the point.

I do agree that sales might not be as expected. OK That is fine with me.
I agree that ticket prices are much to high on the level 1 and backyerd seas on the floor.
However to spill the Sh?? always over Mick Jagger is much to easy. Many promoters have burned they fingers with celebrities. It's their fault to accept such demands which are anyway only discussed by the lawyers of the Stones and the promoters.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:39

The promotor,AEG have got it all wrong financially,apart from the multiple $85 tix drops,that are great for the fans.

AEG couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery.

Absolutely ,and the Stones reputation has been tarnished.

Not that they are gonna worry,'cos this tour is gonna be ''The Last Time''.

Just my opinion. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:48

Oh and by the way I just tried those 8 tickets in line and they are way back or side view in the upper levels.

Date: May 2, 2013 16:49

drbryant
He misses one key point. The Stones didn't @#$%& the promoters with a high guarantee. The promoters @#$%& themselves by not knowing their market - that's supposed to be their specialty. What are the Stones supposed to say? "Um, we think maybe you've overestimated the demand for our shows. Please offer us a lower guarantee"?

Brilliant...it's a shared responsibility here I think, but if someone offers you $80 million or whatever, what are you supposed to say, "oh no, we're worth much less, really"?

Promoter seriously miscalculated.

Date: May 2, 2013 16:52

They brought this on themselves.
They have a guarantee.
The expression: "they are laughing all the way to the bank" comes to mind

Date: May 2, 2013 16:55

AEG has been doing just fine making a truckload promoting Paul McCartney's shows for the last 10 years. McCartney charges a ton, but it's within what the market can handle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 16:55 by mnewman505.

Date: May 2, 2013 17:16

this blog is getting around, here's a Bloomberg article quoting it this morning.....

[www.bloomberg.com]

Rolling Stones Tickets Gather Moss as $600 Seats for Sale

The Rolling Stones are finding out: you can’t always get what you want.
With the group’s “50 and Counting” tour kicking off in Los Angeles on May 3, pairs of $600 floor seats were still available yesterday for Staples Center arena, based on the sales website of Anschutz Entertainment Group Inc., the Staples owner and promoter of the Rolling Stones tour.

“To anyone not working in investment banking, these are extremely expensive tickets,” said Gary Bongiovanni, editor-in- chief of Pollstar, a concert-industry magazine.

To fill Staples Center, AEG has begun lowering prices. More $85 tickets are being made available, the band said on April 30 at Rollingstones.com. Those were the only tickets sold out for the May 3 show, according to the AEG website.

“By the time the show starts, they’ll fill every seat at the arena,” Bongiovanni said in a phone interview. “It just won’t be with people who paid $600 a seat.”

AEG said in a statement the date of the first show had to be moved by a day because of professional basketball and hockey playoffs at Staples, requiring the company to offer refunds to some fans.

“We fully expect Friday’s Staples Center show to be sold out and are very pleased with ticket sales for all upcoming shows,” Los Angeles-based AEG said.

Bob Lefsetz, publisher of an industry e-mail newsletter, wrote about the availability of seats yesterday.

The Stones announced plans for a nine-city North American tour on April 3, including shows in Oakland, Anaheim and San Jose, California, Las Vegas, Toronto, Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia. A Montreal stop was added on April 16. No dates are planned for New York.

Last year, the Stones marked their 50th anniversary, having first played at the Marquee Club in London in 1962. They played dates at the O2 London, Brooklyn’s Barclays Center, New York, and the Prudential Center Newark.

The last major tour by Mick Jagger’s men was A Bigger Bang, which had revenue of $558 million from 2005 to 2007, according to Billboard. The U2 360 shows generated a record $736 million from 2009 to 2011, overtaking the Stones, Billboard reported.

Why are people so happy that the most expensive tickets aren't selling well?
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 2, 2013 05:54

The Stones made $85 tickets available. I bought some and so did many others on this board.

So why do people (including those that bought $85 tickets) mock them and delight in the fact that the expensive tickets are not selling?

Personally, I am very grateful that the $85 tickets were made available and very appreciative of several people on this board that helped so many people buy tickets for $85.

We're going to see The Stones! smiling smiley

Re: Why are people so happy that the most expensive tickets aren't selling well?
Date: May 2, 2013 05:57

Because if they aren't selling well, then prices will come down, and we will be able to afford the seats we want at a more reasonable price.

i had planned not to attend this tour when i saw the prices, but as prices dropped over the past 48 hours i was able to find a seat i liked at a price i liked.

that's why i am happy.

Re: Why are people so happy that the most expensive tickets aren't selling well?
Date: May 2, 2013 06:14

Is this a rhetorical question?

OK, I'll bite.

I wasn't able to find a ticket for $85 for Toronto or Montreal, where I was trying to loop in a business trip to.

Now regardless I won't be able to go, but I'm happy that more people will be able to go.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 2, 2013 06:23

Why ask a question that the answer is as plain as the nose on your face!

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: May 2, 2013 06:42

The simple answer is that people don't like greed.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 06:50

Yeah it is not that it is happiness, but more Karma. The greed is really pathetic and especially to celebrate 50 years to do it in such a crass and greedy way. Cumupance.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 07:29

Some fans.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 08:08

im the biggest stones fan in the world.but there greed is very distasteful.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 30

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1608
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home