Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 30
Re: High Priced Tickets not Selling
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2013 21:55

Rik
Bad marketing. What comes around Goes around

The marketing was fine...the idea that they'd come close to selling out arenas at those prices are ludicrous.

I'm not sure where we're at now, but they had originally gone with $600 price tickets on the opposite side of the arena. Ridiculous.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 1, 2013 21:59

Yes, you're right!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 1, 2013 22:11

treaclefingers
Rik

The marketing was fine...the idea that they'd come close to selling out arenas at those prices are ludicrous.

I'm not sure where we're at now, but they had originally gone with $600 price tickets on the opposite side of the arena. Ridiculous.

i agree. but... i still think the marketing was horrible. the only way i know that this tour is even happening is because of this board, and the rolling stones facebook page. haven't heard anything about it on the radio, haven't heard the radio playing stones songs leading up to it... usually in the past the radio has been dominated by the stones in the week leading up to a show.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 1, 2013 22:40

How many times can it be said - way to large a percentage of $600 tickets - that should be the price for the pit and the pit ONLY. To pay that to sit in the rear of the arena - insane strategy. I still cannot see them playing to empty seats - that's a terrible way for this mini tour to begin. I paid $600 for my tickets, but I'd rather them give tickets away than see empty seats. No one likes an empty house!

Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: May 1, 2013 22:50

They should have just done less shows in these cities, and played in some little places like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, New York, etc.

AEG probably took the Nov/Dec shows, and thought it would be easy money. Official Billboard figures were Stones sold 73,702 tickets, box office taking of $38,687,010. Works out to $525 average per ticket and $7.7 million per show.

Will be interesting reading to see the Billboard boxscores for May/June.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 1, 2013 23:00

Still thousands of tickets left for the first show!!

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: May 1, 2013 23:05

sonomastone
treaclefingers
Rik

i agree. but... i still think the marketing was horrible. the only way i know that this tour is even happening is because of this board, and the rolling stones facebook page. haven't heard anything about it on the radio, haven't heard the radio playing stones songs leading up to it... usually in the past the radio has been dominated by the stones in the week leading up to a show.

The marketing has been terrible... the parts of marketing mix including price, and promotion were poorly conceived and highly inaccurate. Marketing is not just advertising- it is lot more.... the people who positioned this tour as if it were the Stones in their prime grossly erred. The Stones are past their prime and many of the fans they pleased IN their prime are now deceased, without
( to my understanding) developing a market of younger fans who can afford, or are willing to pay, the prices.
$600 seats? $2,000 VIP packages? $1,500 to stand in the pit? Piss poor planning. Hence the new batch of $85 tix recently announced. I am sure the first batch of $85 tix was both a promotional and desperational tactic. Over valuing the product to the casual and avid fan, in a weak economy, has, apparently left 1000s of unsold seats in almost all venues. This is not hindsight... just look at the boards since ticket prices were announced... the customers have said all along they were priced out, or the value was not there.. These are avid, loyal customers with great brand loyalty who have either chosen not to pay the $ because of a lack of perceived value, or others who just cannot afford to pay the $. I am only going to a show because I got $85 tix. I blame AEG, and the Stones themselves, specifically Jagger who seems to be the leading memeber from the band regarding business affairs. From what I read the Stones will get their $$$ regardless of how many fans show up... it would be kinda embarrassing for them to be playing to half-fulled houses on their 50th anniversary tho...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 1, 2013 23:27

I wonder if there is some kind of clause that "hurts" the Stones financially with poor sales, if I remember well they were given a line of credit they could draw on, but a full guarantee regardless of sales?

It's been said before but it seems many people who wanted to pay the asking price saw them in 2012 and Branson and Dainty had maybe sensed that...

Date: May 1, 2013 23:28

steverogan
sonomastone
treaclefingers
Rik

The marketing has been terrible... the parts of marketing mix including price, and promotion were poorly conceived and highly inaccurate. Marketing is not just advertising- it is lot more.... the people who positioned this tour as if it were the Stones in their prime grossly erred. The Stones are past their prime and many of the fans they pleased IN their prime are now deceased, without
( to my understanding) developing a market of younger fans who can afford, or are willing to pay, the prices.
$600 seats? $2,000 VIP packages? $1,500 to stand in the pit? Piss poor planning. Hence the new batch of $85 tix recently announced. I am sure the first batch of $85 tix was both a promotional and desperational tactic. Over valuing the product to the casual and avid fan, in a weak economy, has, apparently left 1000s of unsold seats in almost all venues. This is not hindsight... just look at the boards since ticket prices were announced... the customers have said all along they were priced out, or the value was not there.. These are avid, loyal customers with great brand loyalty who have either chosen not to pay the $ because of a lack of perceived value, or others who just cannot afford to pay the $. I am only going to a show because I got $85 tix. I blame AEG, and the Stones themselves, specifically Jagger who seems to be the leading memeber from the band regarding business affairs. From what I read the Stones will get their $$$ regardless of how many fans show up... it would be kinda embarrassing for them to be playing to half-fulled houses on their 50th anniversary tho...

The tickets would have to be pretty damn good for me to travel at this point, and I wouldn't pay more than $85 either.

For me at least, to quote a line in a great song from last decade, 'I think I've crossed, the Rubicon'.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 1, 2013 23:34

It is very difficult now to come back and sell the remaining tickets for 85$.

1. Those that have bought expensive tickets will be more than pissed.
2. People for all the remaining shows will wait untill the last day, because they know ticket prices will be lowered based on the first show's experience.

This is just to say - the planning and economics behind the shows has been a misery. The shows in November/December - you could argue on a higher price based on 50 YEARS, the Choir, the drummers etc, etc - but the conserts in 2013 don't justefy the high ticket prices.

Shame on you Jagger and a sad way to finnish the bands existence on bad ticket slaes, not even selling all the tickets for 18 Arena shows. If I remember well, Michael Jackson in 2009 sold more than one million tickets in two hours for 50 O2 Arena shows in London (funny enough also AEG). Now, one of the biggest stadium bands, cannot even sell out 18 arena shows!!!

Date: May 1, 2013 23:42

Well they have the sold out London shows to look forward to I guess... and that will probably be the end of it.

Date: May 2, 2013 00:04

gotdablouse
Well they have the sold out London shows to look forward to I guess... and that will probably be the end of it.

Yes, from a face-saving perspective it's difficult to imagine how they get out of this.

They simply can't play to half empty arenas...do they start flooding the market with cheap seats, what do they tell the $1500 'platinum patsies'?

Sorry, but it's the truth.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 00:13

Just before showtime no one will care what the person next to them paid for a ticket. It's the Stones' - yes, they overpriced the tickets by a mile - but there's nothing like them and when they are gone, they cannot be replaced.

Date: May 2, 2013 00:15

A bit of a train wreck isn't it... sad, but hard to feel sorry for them given their greed. They're going to look a lot older all of a sudden I'm afraid.

Date: May 2, 2013 00:16

I have a hard time seeing them not cancelling the 1st show.

More than 1/2 the tickets are left.

Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: May 2, 2013 00:20

jumpontopofmebaby

LOL your dreaming!

Date: May 2, 2013 00:23

They really should have allowed more time for tickets to be sold.

Date: May 2, 2013 00:30

Come on Mick. How about a drive through the streets of LA on a flat bed trailer with the band playing Brown Sugar.

Get creative again.

Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: May 2, 2013 00:32

Just looked at Fri LA, Section 113, row 5 great spot by the stage available. I'd jump on this if I were in LA and the price were $400.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2013 00:35

jumpontopofmebaby
Come on Mick. How about a drive through the streets of LA on a flat bed trailer with the band playing Brown Sugar.

Get creative again.

Yes...and while you're at it Mick, how about throwing out buckets of unsold tickets to the general public!

Date: May 2, 2013 00:40

He is what I would do RIGHT NOW!

Cancell the 2nd LA Show and the 2nd Anaheim show.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 2, 2013 00:42

steverogan
sonomastone
treaclefingers
Rik

Nicely explained steverogan,you must be in advertising or marketting..winking smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: May 2, 2013 00:56

ROPENI
steverogan
sonomastone
treaclefingers
Rik

Nicely explained steverogan,you must be in advertising or marketting..winking smiley

Thank you! I have been in the marketing part of business for about 20 years. Actually right now I teach it.. I have used the Stones and other bands to explain various marketing concepts.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: May 2, 2013 00:59

jumpontopofmebaby

Hey jump, where did you get that info, only half were sold?

Date: May 2, 2013 01:19

tatters
JumpinJackOLantern
TMONTANA
JumpinJackOLantern
One small problem: The Stones didn't set the ticket prices. They insisted on lower ticket prices during negotiations, but obviously when you are swimming with sharks, sometimes they get a bigger chunk out of you then you get out of them. It's a cold and brutal ocean out there!
Give me a f---ng break,of course they set the prices,by what they get up front,if they wanted to keep the tickets prices low and accessible they could,have asked for less money or take a % of sales,but won't do it,cause they don't give a shit about the fans,is all about how much more they can put into their bank accounts,like they have so many more years left to enjoy it..Pricks is what they are...

So if the Stones had asked for significantly less the promoters and scalpers would have suddenly become charitable? Not likely.

There is one possible scenario that I don't think has been mentioned. It is possible that the Stones and the promoters agreed to set ticket prices so high in an effort to discourage the scalpers from raiding the cupboard. The end result would be many tickets being sold at reduced prices or even given away on or near the day of the concert.

Why would a promoter think that was a good idea?

On the surface it might appear that the promoters would be taking a bath, but, if, (at the end of the day) their estimated financial goals are achieved then everybody goes home happy. Well, not quite everybody.

This whole ticket issue is a real mess, but I would much rather see the Stones getting the cash than the promoters or the scalpers.

Date: May 2, 2013 01:21

virgil
jumpontopofmebaby

I see no advantage to cancel a show. If the Stones are guranteed "X" dollars for the tour, it would only hurt the promoter to cancel the show. The loss of revenues for tix sold ( even if only half were sold) as well as the loss of $ in unsold merchandise at the show would make cancelling the show a "non" option. I can only speculate but I think the shows will go on and perhaps selling remaining tix at a deep discount or buy one get one free ( or at a dscount) for certain shows is a possibility. This could satisfy fans in the city of the show and those within driving distance. A last minute plane ticket would cost too much for many to consider the trip...

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 01:34

Music industry curmudgeon Bob Lefsetz gets it just about right in his just-issued "Stones Tickets" e-missive. This story will now spread in the "mainstream" press:

"It's a disaster.

And it's hiding in plain sight. All you've got to do is go to their site and see what's available, your jaw will drop.

Enthralled with the ancient British rockers, the mainstream press has completely dropped the ball on this story. So busy reporting last weekend's club gig, the sycophantic reporters refuse to do any...reporting. To see that the bottom just dropped out of the Stones business.

Yes, go to [www.rollingstones.com]

And click to "Get Tickets."

Then pull up May 3rd's gig at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, America's number two market, home to more poseurs than anywhere but the Cote d'Azur.

First you'll be stunned how seamlessly AXS works. We've been told for eons that Ticketmaster is an unbeatable champion. But AXS is faster, easier and just an all-around better experience.

So pick the May 3rd gig. If you can't navigate to this page, stop reading this now, you're too ignorant to get the points I'm going to be making anyway.

Select 2 seats. Don't allow for splits. There are frequently single seats available in good sections for the most desirable gigs.

Select "Best seat at any price level."

Then click on "Find Tickets."

Whew!

You can sit right down front!

But it gets better!

You can still get 8 seats together in desirable sections!

Which means...

Sales are horrific.

It's even worse for the May 20th gig. You can still get 8 seats together right down front!

How did this happen?

GREED!"

And it goes on from there, just in email form to subscribers for now; later today up at his website: [lefsetz.com].

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 2, 2013 01:43

virgil

Where many other posters get their info

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 2, 2013 01:52

GOOD ..THEY SHOULD HAVE THIS TOUR FOR $50 A TICKET.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 2, 2013 02:23

LongBeachArena72
Music industry curmudgeon Bob Lefsetz gets it just about right in his just-issued "Stones Tickets" e-missive. This story will now spread in the "mainstream" press:

"It's a disaster.

And it's hiding in plain sight. All you've got to do is go to their site and see what's available, your jaw will drop.

Enthralled with the ancient British rockers, the mainstream press has completely dropped the ball on this story. So busy reporting last weekend's club gig, the sycophantic reporters refuse to do any...reporting. To see that the bottom just dropped out of the Stones business.

Yes, go to [www.rollingstones.com]

And click to "Get Tickets."

Then pull up May 3rd's gig at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, America's number two market, home to more poseurs than anywhere but the Cote d'Azur.

First you'll be stunned how seamlessly AXS works. We've been told for eons that Ticketmaster is an unbeatable champion. But AXS is faster, easier and just an all-around better experience.

So pick the May 3rd gig. If you can't navigate to this page, stop reading this now, you're too ignorant to get the points I'm going to be making anyway.

Select 2 seats. Don't allow for splits. There are frequently single seats available in good sections for the most desirable gigs.

Select "Best seat at any price level."

Then click on "Find Tickets."

Whew!

You can sit right down front!

But it gets better!

You can still get 8 seats together in desirable sections!

Which means...

Sales are horrific.

It's even worse for the May 20th gig. You can still get 8 seats together right down front!

How did this happen?

GREED!"

And it goes on from there, just in email form to subscribers for now; later today up at his website: [lefsetz.com].
On the money,finally greed and Ego caught up with them....They already got paid,and the promoters and the fans were left holding the bag,what a way to finish such an illustrious career...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 30

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home