Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 77
Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:05

By the way, anyone savouring the irony of those folks in the planning threads whining about jacked up hotel prices?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:06

andrewt
By the way, anyone savouring the irony of those folks in the planning threads whining about jacked up hotel prices?

schadenfreud....I got me some.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:08

tatters
Max'sKansasCity

and facts be known $200 is still too much for a lot of people to pay.

It's not too much for a front row seat. It is too much for a nosebleed seat, though.

That is correct, I am still happy with the $400 I paid for 5th row ceneter seats to the PPV show in St Louie back in... when ever it was.... but $600 for barfy garbage balconey seats is just silly. I guess my issue is I have sat too close too many times and I unwilling to pay front row prices and sit is "hell".... I have never a "just happy to be there" person.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 17:11 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:23

Max'sKansasCity

I have never a "just happy to be there" person.

I was, when I was a teenager and was just starting to go to concerts. I saw the New Barbarians from the very last row of the uppermost level at the far end of Madison Square Garden and I had a great time. But we do get spoiled. Once we've gotten up close, nothing else will really ever do again, so for this tour, I have to ask myself if seeing them enhances in any way my previous experiences. That's where Mick Taylor comes in, but I'm not sure even he'd be worth it if he's just doing a song or two.

Date: April 6, 2013 17:42

tatters
Max'sKansasCity

I was, when I was a teenager and was just starting to go to concerts. I saw the New Barbarians from the very last row of the uppermost level at the far end of Madison Square Garden and I had a great time. But we do get spoiled. Once we've gotten up close, nothing else will really ever do again, so for this tour, I have to ask myself if seeing them enhances in any way my previous experiences. That's where Mick Taylor comes in, but I'm not sure even he'd be worth it if he's just doing a song or two.

The Barbarians, and others, chose never to come to KC....

But back in the late 70s most concerts in KC were general admission. My first concert was Allman Brothers, and we went down at 3:00 and waited.... and when they opened the doors we RAAAAAAANNNNNNN RUUUUUUUNNN!!!! and I hit the 2nd row center ("wired in" people were already there in the 1st row) and just like my brother had told me to do, I laid across 4 seats.... and BAM!! OWNED IT!!! He was there a moment behind me, high fiving me. We secured the seats(bookending and jackets etc)and then later he went looking for a couple of friends whom we might bless with killer seats. Ater that show, I was concert junky.

I was just a kid, but it was a fkg rush, and we owned it! I didnt know it then but I was ruined forever needing to sit up close. Shows only cost 5-6 bucks and I went to see everyone who came through for the next 20-35 years, and we always sat close. First we mastered that GA waiting thing.... then later when concerts went reserved, we got to ticket outlets early in the morning..... and then later we started waiting all night ouside the outlets to get the best seats... and later when I had more money than time it became paying the scalpers double (then triple) face value for close seats... and now... it is over. I am happy with it all. I wouldnt change a thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 17:44 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:45

Max'sKansasCity
tatters
Max'sKansasCity

But back in the late 70s most concerts in KC were general admission. My first concert was Allman Brothers, and we went down at 3:00 and waited.... and when they opened the doors we RAAAAAAANNNNNNN RUUUUUUUNNN!!!! and I hit the 2nd row center ("wired in" people were already there in the 1st row) and just like my brother had told me to do, I laid across 4 seats.... and BAM!! OWNED IT!!! He was there a moment behind me, high fiving me. We secured the seats(bookending and jackets etc)and then later he went looking for a couple of friends whom we might bless with killer seats. Ater that show, I was concert junky.

I was just a kid, but it was a fkg rush, and we owned it! I didnt know it then but I was ruined forever. Shows only cost 5-6 bucks and I went to see everyone who came through for the next 20-35 years, and we always sat close. First we mastered that GA waiting thing.... then later when concerts went reserved, we got to ticket outlets early in the morning..... and then later we started waiting all night ouside the outlets to get the best seats... and later when I had more money than time it became paying the scalpers double (then triple) face value for close seats... and now... it is over. I am happy with it all. I wouldnt change a thing.

i would change everything. in fact, that's just what i'm gonna do...

Date: April 6, 2013 17:46

GRNRBITW
Max'sKansasCity
tatters
Max'sKansasCity

I was just a kid, but it was a fkg rush, and we owned it! I didnt know it then but I was ruined forever. Shows only cost 5-6 bucks and I went to see everyone who came through for the next 20-35 years, and we always sat close. First we mastered that GA waiting thing.... then later when concerts went reserved, we got to ticket outlets early in the morning..... and then later we started waiting all night ouside the outlets to get the best seats... and later when I had more money than time it became paying the scalpers double (then triple) face value for close seats... and now... it is over. I am happy with it all. I wouldnt change a thing.

Give it your best shot...

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:48

Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
Max'sKansasCity
tatters
Max'sKansasCity

Give it your best shot...

first changing shorts...i'll give it my best shorts....

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 6, 2013 18:00

andrewt

Yeah but with that expensive hotel charge, parking won't cost anything in Vegas.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: April 6, 2013 18:47

I have pairs of tix for three shows:Fleetwood Mac (9th row center), Bob Seger with Joe Walsh (9th row center) and The Eagles VIP ( tix in first ten rows center). I spent about $2,100 for three shows - eagles VIP was the most at $625/tick. All are groups I love. Love their shows and their music. Yesterday, i threw a pair of tongue pit tix for chicago 5/31, back (btw tix are still available for tongue pit)- price was $3,000- so, I decided seeing three shows with a SEAT in the first 10 rows,was worth more to me than one Stones show to STAND the whole time. I have been a fan of the stones since late 70's. been to every tour since 1981 (except VL). I just don't see the value of spending 3,000 for one night of entertainment...

Date: April 6, 2013 19:12

steverogan
I have pairs of tix for three shows:Fleetwood Mac (9th row center), Bob Seger with Joe Walsh (9th row center) and The Eagles VIP ( tix in first ten rows center). I spent about $2,100 for three shows - eagles VIP was the most at $625/tick. All are groups I love. Love their shows and their music. Yesterday, i threw a pair of tongue pit tix for chicago 5/31, back (btw tix are still available for tongue pit)- price was $3,000- so, I decided seeing three shows with a SEAT in the first 10 rows,was worth more to me than one Stones show to STAND the whole time. I have been a fan of the stones since late 70's. been to every tour since 1981 (except VL). I just don't see the value of spending 3,000 for one night of entertainment...

The standing aspect wouldn't bother me. I don't care how old you are, if you're that close to the Rolling Stones, you should be standing and dancing and jumping around whether you have a chair to sit in or not.

Date: April 6, 2013 19:16

tatters
steverogan

The standing aspect wouldn't bother me. I don't care how old you are, if you're that close to the Rolling Stones, you should be standing and dancing and jumping around whether you have a chair to sit in or not.

For those prices, I would expect to be picked up and dropped off at home in a limo, driven by Mick.

Date: April 6, 2013 19:25

tatters
steverogan

True...to a point..but remember that many cannot stand that long.. the stones are almost 70 and so are many of their fans.You would be standing for the whole show plus all the time leading up to it if you wanted a decent spot in the pit. Also, if you need to use the bathroom,and you are up front you lose your spot... I'll take the three shows for less than the price of one.I hope you enjoy the show if you are going. Peace.

Date: April 6, 2013 19:49

I would be willing to bet that Mick Jagger himself would not pay $1500 for a ticket to see any band....

...and yeah yeah, blah blah, I know he would probably get guest listed...
but still, I bet he has never, and would never, pay anywhere near $1500, or even
$600 to see a band play live. He would probably scoff at the mere notion of such a suggestion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 19:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 6, 2013 20:03

I also think the concept of the "tongue pit" is ridiculous. If people are old enough to have the kind of financial success where they can afford $1,500 seats, they likely are in an age group where many aren't fit enough to stand for hours on end. If people are going to pay that much, they deserve a chance to sit down. Grandma and Grandpa aren't in their Altamont/Woodstock fighting form anymore.

Date: April 6, 2013 20:07

steverogan
tatters
steverogan

True...to a point..but remember that many cannot stand that long.. the stones are almost 70 and so are many of their fans.You would be standing for the whole show plus all the time leading up to it if you wanted a decent spot in the pit. Also, if you need to use the bathroom,and you are up front you lose your spot... I'll take the three shows for less than the price of one.I hope you enjoy the show if you are going. Peace.

The only way I'm going is if I'm the lucky 92nd caller, or something like that.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: April 6, 2013 20:09

The only way you see them is as they say to pay the man. Pay up or shut up. They aren't changing the prices so as much as people may hate it they still sell out. I will not pay that much to see anyone but that is just me. You have to decide whether you want to on your own. If you want to see them then you are a fan. If you weren't you wouldn't have started this thread. cool smiley

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: April 6, 2013 20:14

steverogan
I just don't see the value of spending 3,000 for one night of entertainment...

I'm not above it, but there generally needs to be a few Thai girls slapping me around.

Date: April 6, 2013 20:47

cirrhosis
steverogan
I just don't see the value of spending 3,000 for one night of entertainment...

I'm not above it, but there generally needs to be a few Thai girls slapping me around.

That's cool, I understand...

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 6, 2013 21:04

The only thing that pisses me off is that the 40 Licks tour should have had a multi-song guest spot by Mick Taylor every show. There was no good reason they couldn't have invited him aboard that tour.

I go to 150-200 shows a year now and any band in an arena wouldn't rank any higher than the halfway point. Yes, I said it, there are local bands who will never leave LA who put on a better show, especially at a better cost/value ratio than the Stones do now.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 6, 2013 21:13

Max'sKansasCity
I would be willing to bet that Mick Jagger himself would not pay $1500 for a ticket to see any band....

but still, I bet he has never, and would never, pay anywhere near $1500, or even
$600 to see a band play live. He would probably scoff at the mere notion of such a suggestion.

You have point about Mick -- the one dollar cab driver tipper -- probably not paying that much for any act.

I read that actor Ryan O'Neil sent back tickets to see The Stones in 1975 because he was expected to pay for them.

Date: April 6, 2013 21:21

Max'sKansasCity

I think you're missing the bigger picture here Max.

I think most people here, including Mick (not that he's here) would proclaim that the ONLY band worth paying $600 is the stones.

With that said, why would Mick pay $600 to be in the audience to see the stones play... without him?

It just doesn't make sense.

Date: April 6, 2013 21:22

deadegad
Max'sKansasCity

You have point about Mick -- the one dollar cab driver tipper -- probably not paying that much for any act.

I read that actor Ryan O'Neil sent back tickets to see The Stones in 1975 because he was expected to pay for them.

I have only heard tales, but they usually tell that he is not a big spender.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 6, 2013 21:27

marianna
I also think the concept of the "tongue pit" is ridiculous. If people are old enough to have the kind of financial success where they can afford $1,500 seats, they likely are in an age group where many aren't fit enough to stand for hours on end. If people are going to pay that much, they deserve a chance to sit down. Grandma and Grandpa aren't in their Altamont/Woodstock fighting form anymore.

>grinning smiley<

Excellent! thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 21:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: jackdog ()
Date: April 6, 2013 21:37

The prices are sick no doubt but it's pretty clear this will be the last harrah so they want to get paid and make sure the support band and crew are taken care of one last time. The way I understand it the Stones got 20 million upfront and a line of credit for 20 mill more through the tour with a guarantee of 4 mill per show. Guess the take on their end will be at least 70 million plus. The promoter sets the price but the Stones really do with the mega upfront guarantees they are getting. Thats why Virgin got booted as couldn't make the numbers work and or get financing so it appears. Based on what I have read Jagger has a big issue with secondary ticket market and so it's clear with these obscene prices he has tried as well to stick it to them(and yes the fans) for the last tour. That said I got 2 very good seats in Chicago for 250 bucks each thru Citi promo. Not going to pay 600 though as seen them 10 plus times and nothing can top seeing them in the small club tour 10 yrs ago at Aragon Ballroom. Compromised but can't blame fans for being pissed but hey it's a biz...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 21:41 by jackdog.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 6, 2013 21:40

I am going to submit a tip to Drudge. See if they run with it..

Posted by: jackdog ()
Date: April 6, 2013 21:49

If you cant stand for 2 hours stay home and watch a Blueray of Some Girls or ask for the handicapped section-geez!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 21:50 by jackdog.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 6, 2013 22:05

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

I think you're missing the bigger picture here Max.

I think most people here, including Mick (not that he's here) would proclaim that the ONLY band worth paying $600 is the stones.

With that said, why would Mick pay $600 to be in the audience to see the stones play... without him?

It just doesn't make sense.

The usual reasoning among band management is "If you can afford to only go to one show a year, it should be our show."

If anything this is causing me to spend more money. I have been trying to cut back on the amount of $10 shows I go to because even that adds up to a fortune if you go out several times a week but now it's like "If I am going to spend hundreds on the Stones, surely I can spare $10 for the Itchy Pissholes."

Date: April 6, 2013 22:09

Dan
The usual reasoning among band management is "If you can afford to only go to one show a year, it should be our show."

If you can afford to go to one Rolling Stones show, you can afford to follow another band around for an entire tour instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-07 00:57 by tatters.

Date: April 6, 2013 22:10

The Stones seem to be the only ones to manage this business this way. Incidentally this would be the only way to prove and show everyone they are the number one: the highest prices. Numbers do not lie. And no one is currently able to challenge them.
"You cannot say you have had eaten in the best restaurant if you have paid as much as in a Burger King" seems to be the motto. If this pricing policy succeedes among a wide range of fans, why change it?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home