Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 77
Re: So happy that not a single show has sold out due to the Rolling Stones greed!
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 20, 2013 11:16

JumpinJackOLantern
I am OK with the ticket prices, in fact, I am kind of proud (as a fan) that they can still demand top dollar.

Springsteen fans are proud that he can demand top dollar, but doesn't.

Re: So happy that not a single show has sold out due to the Rolling Stones greed!
Date: April 20, 2013 11:17

owlbynite
JumpinJackOLantern
owlbynite
Said before I want to see tickets all working & retired folks can afford! Self included.

Right after ABB ended in 2007 I began putting $25.00 a month into a special Stones savings account. I knew they wouldn't be doing anything until their 50th anniversary so I had plenty of time to save up enough money to afford whatever they charged in 2012 or 2013. Where there is a will, there is a way. And, I am a poor man.

Good for you. My kids sap my savings. Which show(s) did you get tiks to?

He didn't get tickets to anything. He doesn't go to concerts.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 20, 2013 11:18

Nice to hear someone using common sense here... I agree with your sentiments, James Kirk.

Personally for me the last drop was when hearing the prices for the shows last year. I couldn't but laugh - the prices were so ridiculous. At that moment I knew I had seen my last Rolling Stones show. Just count me out - I don't want to have anything to do any longer in feeding that greedy monster that used to be known as a rock and roll show". What the Stones first, the lesser acts soon afterwards. In a way it has been like that for years and decades, but now they really took a giant step, and took the Barbra Streisend level in entertainment, a certain target audience in mind. Like a mission completed. The band who used to be the coolest band in the world finally managed to make thsemselves teh uncoolest one rock and roll can offer these days. I don't expect the most of the folks here - too much fandom, and spare money - to get that point. But it is no matter whatever "we" hardcore fans think here - the real target audience of Sir Mick is in somewhere else (we are just "useful idiots" who they won ages ago and who are happy for anything, and most of us, as seem to be the case, accept anything to get a ticket). Honey, is no a rock and roll show, indeed.

I thought I've seen my last Stones ever, but as it turned to be, they stepped out of the Barbra Streisend bubble for a moment, and announced these Glastonbury/Hyde Park gigs with a "normal" prices and concepts. Impossible to get Glastonbury, so I took the Hyde Park option with a reasonable £95 tickets. That's something I can do without losing my own self-respect.

And I wholeheartidly agree with the idea that if it is not the personal issue of lacking the money, putting the extra 600-5000 bucks in pocket one has into some charity work is a better option than feed the rising Streisand monster for some egoistic purposes ("To see The Stones millionth time again"). The money way better spent.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 11:34 by Doxa.

Date: April 20, 2013 11:19

Aquamarine
People have ALWAYS complained about the prices of Stones tours. There were bitter complaints about the prices of the '69 tour. I can understand being pissed off at the prices, but not acting as if this is some new betrayal.

In today's money, the price of a 1969 Rolling Stones ticket was roughly $48.50.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 11:23 by tatters.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 20, 2013 11:21

drbryant
I must say, though, that I will be very happy if ticket brokers lose a lot of money on these shows if they don't sell out.
Agreed. As many have pointed out MJ is trying shut out the secondary markets. If he'd sell at "prices people can afford" it would be very hard to get a ticket, and they would sell in the secondary market at "prices people can't afford".
Other solutions to shut out the secondary markets would be 1) make it illegal 2) make tickets personal, so that you have to show your ID to get in.

Date: April 20, 2013 11:43

Whale
drbryant
I must say, though, that I will be very happy if ticket brokers lose a lot of money on these shows if they don't sell out.
Agreed. As many have pointed out MJ is trying shut out the secondary markets. If he'd sell at "prices people can afford" it would be very hard to get a ticket, and they would sell in the secondary market at "prices people can't afford".
Other solutions to shut out the secondary markets would be 1) make it illegal 2) make tickets personal, so that you have to show your ID to get in.

I don't buy the "we fight against secondary market for our fans" rhetorics. If there would be a will to do something for it, it could be done. For example, when I tried to find out the way to get the Glastonbury tickets, I found out that one needs to register there, and send a photograph to be seen in the personal ticket/passport. Sounds a bit complicated, but at least that didn't stop the tickets to be sold out in some minutes or so. So it is possible - and rather easy in today's technology - if there is a will.

So the way I interpet itm the secondary market argument is nothing but a suitable excuse to justify the prices going up and and up and up.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 11:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 20, 2013 11:56

How many tickets are not sold for each show - does anybody know?
Is it thousands or just a few?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 20, 2013 12:03

Doxa
...If there would be a will to do something for it, it could be done...
Doxa

HMN

Re: So happy
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 20, 2013 12:18

Doxa
I don't buy the "we fight against secondary market for our fans" rhetorics.

That's OK with Mick, as long as you will buy tickets smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 20, 2013 12:40

tatters
Aquamarine
People have ALWAYS complained about the prices of Stones tours. There were bitter complaints about the prices of the '69 tour. I can understand being pissed off at the prices, but not acting as if this is some new betrayal.

And in English money, Knebworth was £4, (all tickets one price) the equivalent today (Hyde Park) would be £25 not £95 (or £400 VIP or VSP as I say - Very Silly Person)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 12:41 by EddieByword.

Date: April 20, 2013 12:43

If we look the logic of secondary market argument, what there really is? The fact they have recognized that certain amount of tickets go to scalpers/secondary market who make a nice sum out of that. That is to say: someone else is making profits of their shows, and they think - reasonably - that it is wrong: that money belongs to them.

The solution? Well, let's put the ticket prices so high and insane that there simply isn't demand any longer ouside the "normal" routes. Anyone who is willing to use an insane amount of money to concert can have it by a normal route. The "cost" is that the shows will be not sold out, but hey, all the money goes to "right" hands, and if an arena is 70% of whole capacity that's much more in cash than a sold out show with lower ticket prices.

But what does teh whole thing look like for a normal fan/ticket purchaser? How he will "gain" from the "solution"? The premise of the argument is that all the ticket buyers are using the secondary market in purchasing the ticket. Which is not true. For example, I have always bought the tickets via normal route - sometimes it had been more difficult but still I more or less got them. Now that is not possible. Now to get a decent ticket I need to pay as much or even more than the greedy secondary market hacks were asking before.

So the only winners in the "solution" are The Stones and their partners - they supposedly get all the money, and I guess they should feel proud of it (and in a way, that sounds just from their point of view). But we customers are paying the price for that "rightness". They surely aren't doing it "for fans" - it is the war between them and the secondary market. We - the fans - are the losers in the band getting their "equal" share (all) of the cake. So they do it for "us"? Oh yeah...

Isn't it funny that thanks to their heroic, non-egoistic battle against scalpers for us, I need to pay now some two/three times more for a ticket than I did before? >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 12:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 20, 2013 13:30

James Kirk
JumpinJackOLantern
owlbynite
Said before I want to see tickets all working & retired folks can afford! Self included.

Right after ABB ended in 2007 I began putting $25.00 a month into a special Stones savings account. I knew they wouldn't be doing anything until their 50th anniversary so I had plenty of time to save up enough money to afford whatever they charged in 2012 or 2013. Where there is a will, there is a way. And, I am a poor man.

I'm happy that you will get to see the band, but don't you think there is something wrong when fans have to have a separate savings account for going to a concert?

The Rolling Stones are neither responsible for your econonomical discomfort nor did they ever give a sh$$ of how much you earned when you were able to score top notch seats at the highest price.

Yes I agree the prices are obnoxious and out of range. But we had that discussion in Europe already in 1976 and not just today. The only thing which comes up now is that less and less people seem to be able to afford such ticket prices, but at the same time bought so much luxury in the last 20 years which makes them hard to pay the lease for such amenities.
I feel very sad for people whose jobs were made redundant, but I have now notion for anybody getting pissed on the weekend, spending loads of money on gadgets and telling me that he is the only REAL fan, while I am saving the money to be upfront for years and years.

I know I spend by far much to much money to see the Rolling Stones live, but this is all I collect and believe me that is the only mental souvenir you might be able to take with you once you break on through to the other side.

And yes the prices dropped on secondary markets also since about 20 years just before the show and not just today.

Frankly speaking I am fed up with the outcry from some of those real Rolling Stones fan, which eventually seems that I am not, because I can afford to go to the concerts.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 20, 2013 13:35

tatters
Aquamarine

i saw them in '89 from the 8th row for about $150 in today's money. it's a joke to compare these prices and the complaints to past tours. it's completely different this time.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 20, 2013 14:13

This is a very sad and tawdry way for them to end their career. I am excited about the tour, to hear it, and to see what songs they do. And to have Mick Taylor is amazing. But my goodness, those ticket prices really are beyond sanity and respect. Do they really need that much more money in their lives? They now have gone down in history as one of the longest running rock acts, and the highest priced one as well. That will be one of the biggest footnotes when looking back at their history.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 20, 2013 14:21

whitem8
This is a very sad and tawdry way for them to end their career. I am excited about the tour, to hear it, and to see what songs they do. And to have Mick Taylor is amazing. But my goodness, those ticket prices really are beyond sanity and respect. Do they really need that much more money in their lives? They now have gone down in history as one of the longest running rock acts, and the highest priced one as well. That will be one of the biggest footnotes when looking back at their history.

Good one Whitem8!!!!!!!!!!!! I fully agree. This tour and the high ticketprices are a blackPage in Stones history !!!
Jeroen
ps and i don need to read about........ah well, there are also 85 dollar tickets, blah blah blah.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 20, 2013 14:36

corriecas
whitem8

Good one Whitem8!!!!!!!!!!!! I fully agree. This tour and the high ticketprices are a blackPage in Stones history !!!
Jeroen
ps and i don need to read about........ah well, there are also 85 dollar tickets, blah blah blah.

Ah, come on, it's all for a good cause. It's for the children.
Ok, their children, but still... children are children.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 14:36 by BowieStone.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 20, 2013 14:47

James Kirk
Let me start off by saying that I am thrilled that the Rolling Stones have not sold out a single show in North America and they have nothing, but their never ending greed to blame for their poor ticket sales. What says rock + roll better than a $625 seat for a two hour show?

If the economical weather had been better in the US all tix would have been sold. Imo Mick made one mistake : he thinks the 1999 scheme of things (indoor shows expensive tix) will work.
But I wouldn't call this greed. Rather "maladjustment to 2013 eco mess".

Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: April 20, 2013 15:27

James Kirk
Let me start off by saying that I am thrilled that the Rolling Stones have not sold out a single show in North America and they have nothing, but their never ending greed to blame for their poor ticket sales. What says rock + roll better than a $625 seat for a two hour show?

Don't get me wrong, I am a life long Stones fan who would be willing to pay a premium to see the Stones live in concert if I had a great seat.

That said, these greedy bastards are asking $3,502 for four tickets (one of those tickets is for a family member who is laying his life on the line as I type trying to take down a terrorist in Mass not a douchebag investment banker from JP Morgan who knows about three Stones songs) at the opposite end of the Boston Garden. Who in their right mind is going to pay that kind of money to sit a hockey arena away from the band and watch a screen?

Not only are sales at Ticketmaster going poorly, the secondary market is collapsing as well. Several ticket brokers in the New England area started off asking around $400 for the $85 dollar seats (worst seats in the building) they have had to cut their asking price in half this week as nobody is stupid enough to pay those prices for nosebleed seats...At the start of the week Ace Ticket in Boston was beyond arrogant in their asking price for Stones tix. They laughed at me when I told them I would never pay $400 for $85 seats. Today they called me back and told me they would sell me the same seat for $205. I told them I would buy it for $86 amd not a penny more.

If this is the last tour for the Stones they should be going out in a blaze of glory while at the same time thanking the fans who made them the legends that they are. Instead they attempted to take advantage of their fanbase with $625 seats at the opposite end of the arena.

How embarrasing it will be for the Stones if they play to half full arenas or simply have to give their tickets away to give the impression they can sell concert tickets at these prices because they prefer to play to the Deutsche Bank crowd...What happended to the counter culture "street fighting men"? I'm so disappointed that in the end the once mighty Rolling Stones turned out to be little more than the corporate culture they once rebelled against...The Rolling Stones are little more than corporate frauds these days.

Let me wrap up by suggesting that rather than waste $1,250 on two tickets at the opposite end of the arena you donate that money to a charity in memory of the hero police officers who lost their lives fighting for us this week or to the victims of the terrorist attacks in Boston...Unlike those ridiculous Stones tickets it would be money well spent.

P.S. I have no doubt in my mind the Stones would sell out every stadium in America if they had an ounce of respect for their fans (See McCartney/Springsteen) and charged reasonable prices.

I agree with Mr.Kirk. I can see 600.00 for the seats close to the stage but to pay 450.00-600.00 in the back of the arena is too much. I am only going a few times because I want to see Mick Taylor again. If he plays one song I will sell my tickets to the other shows and just go to one Philly show.
I think if you wait to buy just before the show you will get good seats.

Hope you can make a show James.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 20, 2013 15:51

corriecas
whitem8

Jeroen
Yes, $200 for nosebleed seats for a greatest hits show?

These posts are correct, this indeed a sad and tawdry way to end their career. The idea that this tour will somehow add to their reputation is almost a bigger joke than the idea that the Stones are in the same conversation as the Beatles, and I am someone who loves the Stones, has seen them over 50 times ad never listens to the Beatles.

The Rolling Stones had a GREAT 15 year creative period. The rest has been cashing in.

Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Date: April 20, 2013 16:34

Anyone have a complaint?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 20, 2013 16:56

I am still trying to get lower priced tickets for the 5/25 show in Toronto for my son and myself. He really wants to go see the Stones and I think that it will be a great bonding experience for us. It will probably be the last time that he and myself ever see the Stones in concert again. With that being said, I have been very upset with these ticket prices. There is no way that I would shell out $600.00 for a single seat that is not even close to the stage for a two hour show that will most likely feature well worn warhorses that the Stones have been peddling since the Steel Wheels tour. I almost allowed myself to get ripped off after I placed an add in Kijiji after I got a response from someone willing to sell me two low priced tickets in the 108 section that were just too good to be true (because I was feeling desperate). I am a long time Rolling Stones fan who has followed them since the 1970's. I have bought the albums, concert tickets, books, merchandise, etc and along with others on this board, have contributed to making the Stones very wealthy. Yes, they don't owe me anything, but this is how you go out, by raping your long time fans and essentially saying "@#$%& you" you don't matter?

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 20, 2013 18:36

A lot of good points all around. The Stones are not worth that money. Your money is better spent on something else or saved. Doxa, I think, made a good point about charity and helping those in need.

I supose if the Stones announced that they are trying to sabotage the scalpers and were donating a large part of that ticket increase to various charitable organizations that would make a difference.

What would be a great gesture on The Stones part would be several large free outdoor shows worldwide for their fans.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 20, 2013 19:06

deadegad
A lot of good points all around. The Stones are not worth that money. Your money is better spent on something else or saved. Doxa, I think, made a good point about charity and helping those in need.

I supose if the Stones announced that they are trying to sabotage the scalpers and were donating a large part of that ticket increase to various charitable organizations that would make a difference.

What would be a great gesture on The Stones part would be several large free outdoor shows worldwide for their fans.
Free outdoor concerts don't help. They should personalize the tickets, so that nobody can resell.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 20, 2013 19:47

Whale
deadegad

Free outdoor concerts don't help. They should personalize the tickets, so that nobody can resell.

That would be good too.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 20, 2013 20:30

How conme Glastonbury doesn't seem to have all these problems with secondary markets? It being going 40 odd years and you never hear of such things........

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 20, 2013 20:48

@Doxa - I understand the argument, but the $78 tickets are the answer... NOT THE PRICE, but the METHOD.

The Stones could easily have said tickets are $100, $250, $350, and $500 (for the pit). And simply said, you can only buy one pair, and everything is will call. You go through the gate, end of story.

Date: April 20, 2013 21:05

[....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-23 07:55 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 20, 2013 21:23

Grison
James Kirk
JumpinJackOLantern
owlbynite

I'm happy that you will get to see the band, but don't you think there is something wrong when fans have to have a separate savings account for going to a concert?

The Rolling Stones are neither responsible for your econonomical discomfort nor did they ever give a sh$$ of how much you earned when you were able to score top notch seats at the highest price.

Yes I agree the prices are obnoxious and out of range. But we had that discussion in Europe already in 1976 and not just today. The only thing which comes up now is that less and less people seem to be able to afford such ticket prices, but at the same time bought so much luxury in the last 20 years which makes them hard to pay the lease for such amenities.
I feel very sad for people whose jobs were made redundant, but I have now notion for anybody getting pissed on the weekend, spending loads of money on gadgets and telling me that he is the only REAL fan, while I am saving the money to be upfront for years and years.

I know I spend by far much to much money to see the Rolling Stones live, but this is all I collect and believe me that is the only mental souvenir you might be able to take with you once you break on through to the other side.

And yes the prices dropped on secondary markets also since about 20 years just before the show and not just today.

Frankly speaking I am fed up with the outcry from some of those real Rolling Stones fan, which eventually seems that I am not, because I can afford to go to the concerts.

I an easily afford to go to the concert. I've been quite lucky to have done well financially at a young age, but unlike some I refuse to be taken advantage of by Rolling Stones Inc. and their CEO...um, I mean lead singer Sir Mick Jagger.

You may be "fed up with the outcry" of fans who feel they are being taken advantage of, but you are clearly in the vast minority as the biggest rock and roll band in the world has not sold out a single arena (not stadium mind you) due to the ABSURD ticket prices this corporation, um I mean band is charging.

The Rolling Stones have become pathetic. I think it is equally pathetic to feel the Rolling Stones are beyond criticism.

Mick can kiss my ass for asking $1,251 for two seats at the opposite end of the arena. The one time Greatest Rock + Roll Band in the World have become what they once rebelled against. With that in mind it's time for them to hang it up as they have become nothing, but a sad caricature of themselves. They Have more in common with investment bankers than a rock band these days...PATHETIC!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 22:23 by James Kirk.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 20, 2013 22:07

Abba turned down a Billion offer to reunite several years ago.

‘We will never appear on stage again.
Money is not a factor and we would like people to remember us as we were – young, exuberant and full of energy and ambition.’

Björn Ulvaeus.

To me, the Stones should have thought the same.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 21, 2013 13:13

VT22
Abba turned down a Billion offer to reunite several years ago.

‘We will never appear on stage again.
Money is not a factor and we would like people to remember us as we were – young, exuberant and full of energy and ambition.’

Björn Ulvaeus.

To me, the Stones should have thought the same.

so true....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home