Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why did the Stones stop using Michael Cohl to promote their shows?
Posted by: Jbeckerfan ()
Date: July 11, 2023 18:12

Does anyone know why the band stopped working with Michael Cohl? Obviously he was tremendously valuable from 1989 - 2006 and you would have thought that Michael would have become so intricately familiar with producing the Stones that it would have either been complicated or impractical to cease working with him. I do recall in 2011 hearing that the Stones were upset at being dragged into Cohls dust up with Live Nation, but unless there was actual theft (which there doesn't seem to have been), it doesn't seem like the annoyance of that would be enough for them to forever cut off working with the mastermind of their tours for the last 15+ years. They stopped using Michael in 2007 after A Bigger Bang and never worked with him again. I never even saw any official word or even a written article about them moving on from Cohl. Wondered if there was more to the story.

Re: Why did the Stones stop using Michael Cohl to promote their shows?
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 11, 2023 21:32

I think it was basically they got a better offer from someone else?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 11, 2023 22:40

At the outset of post 2012 touring they only planned as far as two shows in London and three in New York. From what I remember some tasteless wrestling promoter called Mcmahon tried to get himself involved. Since then the schedules have become "extensive" and it's probably a somewhat different business model than what Cohls company used to set in motion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-11 22:43 by Nikkei.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 12, 2023 00:35

There were articles in the trades at the time. One of Cohl's business ventures was predicated on participation in the next Stones tour. The band had a problem with being used as a bargaining chip without consent. The band simply used Paul Wasserman's office to make terse statements that they had no plans to tour. A perfectly legal and effective means of communicating that Cohl had no touring rights to offer. I'm sure there are many more factors, but pissing off a client like The Stones was arrogance of the highest order.

Posted by: Jbeckerfan ()
Date: July 12, 2023 00:45

Rocky Dijon
There were articles in the trades at the time. One of Cohl's business ventures was predicated on participation in the next Stones tour. The band had a problem with being used as a bargaining chip without consent. The band simply used Paul Wasserman's office to make terse statements that they had no plans to tour. A perfectly legal and effective means of communicating that Cohl had no touring rights to offer. I'm sure there are many more factors, but pissing off a client like The Stones was arrogance of the highest order.

From Wikipedia:

"In 2000, Wasserman was jailed for one felony count of grand theft, using the names of his clients to help him sell bogus stock options."

Whoops.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 12, 2023 02:13

I did not know that. Thank you. A pity.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 12, 2023 02:33

Didn't the 2007 tour end with empty sections ? The Stade de France was pretty tarped according to reports I read. Maybe that was blamed on Cohl ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: July 12, 2023 10:48

here are some insights

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 12, 2023 21:45

gotdablouse
Didn't the 2007 tour end with empty sections ? The Stade de France was pretty tarped according to reports I read. Maybe that was blamed on Cohl ?

The Rolling Stones regularly played to empty seats since the Voodoo Lounge tour. All part of the biz.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 13, 2023 13:17

Jbeckerfan
Rocky Dijon

From Wikipedia:

"In 2000, Wasserman was jailed for one felony count of grand theft, using the names of his clients to help him sell bogus stock options."

Whoops.

The entertainment world had always have to deal with nasty business. Managers ripping off artists was already common practice in the beginning of the last Century. The Stones have not been an exception ...
Cohl indeed made an insulting "offer". And apparently he bought his company into a chain of stadiums as to indirectly still being able to profit from the band.
Well, we all know the outcome winking smiley
Don't f**k with the Stones.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 13, 2023 13:31

Dan
gotdablouse

The Rolling Stones regularly played to empty seats since the Voodoo Lounge tour. All part of the biz.

You can of course laconically dismiss a possible explanation just like that but then you'll prompt some guy like me to recall how in 2007 in Düsseldorf AND Hamburg the stage was set up sideways, that means at the long end of the stadium. That's a different category of unsold seats and how to deal with that

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 13, 2023 13:35

Dan
gotdablouse

Hey, I thought every show was a sellout? winking smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 14, 2023 00:50

gotdablouse

I was at that show. The entire upper tier was tarped off and pit tickets were being sold off on the day for €50. They had played the same venue the year before.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2023 08:22

georgie48
Jbeckerfan
Rocky Dijon

From Wikipedia:

Whoops.

The entertainment world had always have to deal with nasty business. Managers ripping off artists was already common practice in the beginning of the last Century. The Stones have not been an exception ...
Cohl indeed made an insulting "offer". And apparently he bought his company into a chain of stadiums as to indirectly still being able to profit from the band.
Well, we all know the outcome winking smiley
Don't f**k with the Stones.

Keith should have shown that Canadian b*stard the blade!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2023 08:24

Topi
Dan
gotdablouse

Hey, I thought every show was a sellout? winking smiley

Even airlines don't care about selling out. It's about profit maximization. Understanding the elasticity of demand.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2023 08:27

I could be wrong but this has been talked about in the

Bill Graham losing 1989 Steel Wheels Tour thread:

[iorr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home