Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 77
Re: In defense of high ticket prices
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:35

I question anyones motives who doesn't have an issue with the Rolling Stones charging $600+ for seats at the opposite end of a hockey arena.

The Stones may very well be playing to half full arenas and if that is the case they deserve it for being so greedy.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:38

Honestly, if you break it down to how many hours of enjoyment received, even the expensive seats are a bargain.

Are you ready?? Is everybody ready??

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:38

Oh I agree they are greedy, more so than any other artist in history, witness the ridiculous fan club membership that sent you a hat or a t shirt for $100. But they are still the greatest rock band of all time. I don't really care for them as human beings, but that's another story.

Date: May 2, 2013 17:40

James Kirk, question my motives???

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:48

[blog.sfgate.com]

The author points our that in 69 you could see the stones for $4.50, including seeing BB King and Ike and Tina turner.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:53

With due respect all the posts seem to be on the demand side of the equation. I work for a publically traded company and all of our business is generated through a public RFP bidding process.

Many of our contracts are in excess of $50 million annually. Once we win an award there is usually a substantial startup cost for implementation. In many cases 10% to 20% of the first year gross. This doesn’t include a performance bond equal to one year of our cost of goods. Meaning what we would pay our sub-contractors.

If you plug those factors in what is obviously a first class run tour. I don't think the ticket prices are that far off the mark. You also have to factor in seats that don’t sell.

Multiplying the ticket cost by the number of seats and then dividing it by the band member is just stupid.

As I see it, the cat bird seat is having the ability of being over 50. Smoking dope all your life and bitching about ticket cost and corporate bonuses. When in actuality you haven’t a clue of economics and how the real world works.

If someone is offended they should stay home. Voice their opinion by not buying a seat rather than going on some diatribe when the only thing being accomplished is showing ignorance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 17:55 by GADAWG.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:58

The Stones' purse is so big that if it was marked was an X a helicopter would land on it.

Love them but they deserve to be kicked for what they charge. I cannot imagine a place in this universe where the cost of what they charge for a show could be justified.

They should be sent to bed without dinner.
And women.

Date: May 2, 2013 18:02

donvis
James Kirk, question my motives???

Not personally. You stated that you want to get premium seats + you are willing to pay a premium price. I've done that myself in the past.

What I take issue with is the way the Stones are charging a premium price for nearly every seat in the house and how some sheep are attempting to defend them on this board and others like it.

I paid $65 to see Bruce Springsteen (recently) for the same seat the Stones are charging $625 for. I want an explanation from them for their price gouging.

It seems to me that he majority of fans agree with me as at the moment the biggest band in the world has yet to sell out a single venue on their highly publicized tour...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 18:03 by James Kirk.

Date: May 2, 2013 18:07

So I am a sheep for paying that? On the other hand you couldn't pay ME to go to Bruce Springsteen!

Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Date: May 2, 2013 18:23

If they paid that to sit at the opposite end of the arena then the answer is yes, but you didn't seem to read what I wrote in regards to paying a premium for premium seats.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:41

GADAWG
With due respect all the posts seem to be on the demand side of the equation. I work for a publically traded company and all of our business is generated through a public RFP bidding process.

Many of our contracts are in excess of $50 million annually. Once we win an award there is usually a substantial startup cost for implementation. In many cases 10% to 20% of the first year gross. This doesn’t include a performance bond equal to one year of our cost of goods. Meaning what we would pay our sub-contractors.

If you plug those factors in what is obviously a first class run tour. I don't think the ticket prices are that far off the mark. You also have to factor in seats that don’t sell.

Multiplying the ticket cost by the number of seats and then dividing it by the band member is just stupid.

As I see it, the cat bird seat is having the ability of being over 50. Smoking dope all your life and bitching about ticket cost and corporate bonuses. When in actuality you haven’t a clue of economics and how the real world works.

If someone is offended they should stay home. Voice their opinion by not buying a seat rather than going on some diatribe when the only thing being accomplished is showing ignorance.

Folks are staying home in droves. The value is lacking and therefore demand is anemic.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:58

GADAWG

See, I don't see the substantial startup costs here. Again, (and leave your opinion of the artists/music aside) compare with McCartney or Springsteen.

In all cases we're talking indoor shows with a few video screens. There's no fire breathing serpents, no massive inflatables...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 2, 2013 19:01

"You just need to work harder/save a bit more, and cough it up" <--WRONG.

I DO NOT WORK FOR THE STONES. THE STONES WORK FOR ME.

I am a client of the Stones, not the other way around. $1200 is a mortgage payment. And Mick and company have not earned the right to receive my mortgage payment for 2 hours of warhorses at the back of an arena!!

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: May 2, 2013 19:24

andrewt
GADAWG

Folks are staying home in droves. The value is lacking and therefore demand is anemic.

Live music is the service industry. At one time it went hand in hand with pushing a tangible good like an album or CD. That's not so much the case these days. The only goods they are selling now are things like T-shirts and they'll be selling a lot fewer of those unless they fill the seats.

The service industry has to gauge what people are willing to pay for a particular job and thrive long-term via goodwill with customer-base. They clearly overestimated what people are willing to pay and continue a two decade squandering of goodwill.

To use the RFP analogy: The winning bids are going to Lady Gaga, Pearl Jam, Jusin B ( I just vomited in my mouth on that one ), etc. The concert going consumer isn't willing to subsidize the huge start-up costs, continuing overhead and desired profit point the Stones presently require for what is a paltry 18 (17) appearances.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 2, 2013 19:37

flacnvinyl
"You just need to work harder/save a bit more, and cough it up" <--WRONG.

[/size]

Quite right. And if you ask me, for this kind of shameless greed, I've fired them.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 2, 2013 19:40

flacnvinyl

Fascinating, do you send Mick, Keith and everyone else a W-2 every year?

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 2, 2013 20:01

uhbuhgullayew
flacnvinyl

Fascinating, do you send Mick, Keith and everyone else a W-2 every year?

Only if I pay them over $500 cash.

Is this the Swan Song for The Rolling Stones?
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 2, 2013 22:39

I believe after the mess that they have brought up to themselves in their never ending greed,that after Hyde Park,we will never see them again performing live as a band,and you can forget about new music from them,who will they market it to? many in their fan base the ones that for a zillion years have followed and supported the band,have said enough is enough of the raping of the faithful. So now they ride into their graves much richer but as the laughing stock of many,a true shame to end up like this....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: Is this the Swan Song for The Rolling Stones?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 2, 2013 22:41

never ending greed? they just played a show the tickets cost 20 bucks for...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 2, 2013 22:43

Men, they build towers to the passing yes, to their fame everlasting
Here he comes chopping and reaping, hear him laugh at their cheating

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 2, 2013 22:46

This is the end - a very bad judgement from Mr. Jagger. Sad, sad, sad.

But I think, he thought this corporate BS would solve everything, having new-rich corparate stupidy with their champagneglasses and Iphone attending the consert instead of real fans..... Sad, sad, sad.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:09

There seems to be a significant percentage of the handful of people who post here who wish that to be true. There was a significant percentage of posters who said they would never play again after 2007. The Stones will play if they are having a better time than if they didn't play. If the tour is a drag, there is less incentive for them to do it again. But the idea that the tour will force them to retire at Hyde Park and never play another gig rogether is ridiculous. The only thing that will cause their permanent retirement is mortality.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:22

TeddyB1018
There seems to be a significant percentage of the handful of people who post here who wish that to be true. There was a significant percentage of posters who said they would never play again after 2007. The Stones will play if they are having a better time than if they didn't play. If the tour is a drag, there is less incentive for them to do it again. But the idea that the tour will force them to retire at Hyde Park and never play another gig rogether is ridiculous. The only thing that will cause their permanent retirement is mortality.

They can keep playing gigs as long as they want. They just can't get paid $4.5 million for them. Would they still do them if they had to accept less, maybe much less than that? I don't think so. I don't think they'd think it was worth the bother. Besides, what are they gonna say? "$600 tickets? We were only joking! There were never any $600 tickets! In fact, our band only charges $85, because, as our guitarist Keith says, 'That sounds about right!'"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-04 00:32 by tatters.

I JUST WANNA SEE THE STONES
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:23

TeddyB1018
There seems to be a significant percentage of the handful of people who post here who wish that to be true.

I don't care.
I just wanna see the Stones.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:24

No. smiling smiley

Date: May 3, 2013 01:26

tatters
I don't think so. I don't think they'd think .....

You are mighty good with words smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------

Date: May 3, 2013 01:29

Great song BTW

-------------------

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 06:01

I want to start right now with some complaining about how there will be no band to give us again what the Stones have been able to all these years. There is not a current band that can fulfill the inevitable void nor will one be able after we no longer hear from the active Stones.

The band was two years old when I arrived. A great time to be alive it has been.

(done complaining)

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 3, 2013 09:55

one of the posts above looks like a qoute from yoda and yet another looks like some shit i would have said when i was trying to sound important before i went to business school.

i like the yoda one better..

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 13:38

thousands of seats will be empty tonite.... they want the people pay more than the fans can pay.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2042
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home