Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 77
Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 2, 2018 00:17

It's a little ironic to hear Keith suggesting that the Stones are just a blues band....and the other quotes over the years about why should they ever retire, the old bluesmen kept going.....the whole concept of what the blues was about was the very opposite of what the Stones are all about these days.

It will end up simply being a concert given by old men for wealthy old men and women....a million miles from where they started and a million miles from where the blues came from....even the audiences for the old blues men were predominantly young people.

Now, ageing multi millionaires, slightly recycling old hits for old audiences driven by nostalgia and a fat bank account...but, still giving pleasure to thousands and I don't blame anyone for going...the shows are always exciting and that is what keeps them in the spot light and not just another faded vegas act.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 2, 2018 00:28

Don’t paint us all the same, please.
Not everyone has ‘fat’ bank accounts,
not everyone feels nostalgic.
I don’t. In fact, it took me years to overcome deep bad memories of trying to see the RS.
For me, it’s about being with them RIGHT NOW at the same time.
Not sure if that makes sense, to me it does,
but I wanted to say I don’t fit your generalized description of all.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 2, 2018 00:30

T'was a time when we had to send in a hundred postcards in the hopes of being able to buy tickets. True, they were much cheaper but only if you were a lucky winner. Eagles want $250 for nosebleeds. I shudder to think what prices would be if the Stones ever do play MSG again.

crumbling_mice
My main problem with Stones tours these days, and by these days, I mean in the last 30 years, is that like other bands, they don't make much out of record sales these days and so raise the revenue from tickets sales and merchandise. This is all well and good but for a great many people, they have simply priced themselves out.

When I started going to see live bands in the mid 70s tickets were accessible to everyone price wise and you rarely saw any up sells on tickets or VIP tickets. Some lucky folk got added to the guest list and that was very few by and large.

Prices like we are seeing these days are simply too high for a lot of people and rapidly becoming the preserve of the middle classes....rock concerts are middle class events in many cases -similar to sports events.

It's the way of the world and like most things people saw an opportunity to cash in and exploit and that is what we are witnessing these days....THe Stones are quick to remind us of their largely working class backgrounds, but it seems they have forgotten where they came from.

When I was 16 I could easily afford a ticket for any band on the planet, the percentage of a ticket to my wage was fair....sounding like a grumpy old man, but I feel this is how rock music is killing itself.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: March 2, 2018 00:31

First saw the Stones in 1976 at the Glasgow Apollo.

All seats £3.50 in a 2,500 seater venue

Corrected for inflation - £27.00 in 2018.

So, in Edinburgh this year the equivalent GA is now over £100 (with fees)and seats, apart from those far from the stage, are even more expensive.

As much as I appreciate that the finances of the music business have shifted from record sales to live gigs it has now got out of hand.

Have seen the Stones many times in Scotland but this time round, which will be the last, I can't really justify the cost.

This is not just related to Stones' ticket prices - it's across the board now that "major" acts have ticket prices that are way too high - but people seem willing to pay.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: March 2, 2018 00:42

GuessWho

So, in Edinburgh this year the equivalent GA is now over £100 (with fees)and seats, apart from those far from the stage, are even more expensive.

As much as I appreciate that the finances of the music business have shifted from record sales to live gigs it has now got out of hand.

Have seen the Stones many times in Scotland but this time round, which will be the last, I can't really justify the cost.

This is not just related to Stones' ticket prices - it's across the board now that "major" acts have ticket prices that are way too high - but people seem willing to pay.

It is amazing to look at that stat for the 1976 ticket price in today's dollars. Incredible... I feel very much the same as you do, so I'm not sure if I will make the trip over to catch them. A part of me really wants to while a part of me doesn't feel like it's worth the cost anymore for a variety of reasons. It's actually a little sad in a way.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 2, 2018 00:55

35love
Hairball
Makes me yearn for the good old days - specifically the 1981 tour (my first) when ALL tickets were priced at apprx. $15.00 (give or take).
Survival of the fittest GA...get their early to line up...even the night before...first come first serve.

Oh, it was NOT a bouquet of roses, my friend.
No No and No.
Go buy 2 $89 tickets and take yer wife.
That’s right, she needs a chair (I don’t even want to ask how long I’ll be standing at the Twick)
Anyway HAIRBALL GO BUY 2 TICKETS TOMORROW MARCH 2

It was not meant to be a bouquet of roses...it was a Rock and Roll concert for crying out loud!!!
Back when the Stones and the fans were still a bit rebellious and dangerous compared to nowadays where it's like visiting a folk music museum with the little ones and old aunt Ethel! winking smiley

No need to jump the gun on tickets - everything is in flux. Patience is the strategy. If it happens it happens, but seems less and less likely as we're now aiming to head to Europe for the latter part of the summer.
That said, never say never, and in the meantime it's fun reading all the excitement surrounding the upcoming tour.thumbs up

*(US TOUR 2019)

Date: March 2, 2018 03:05

Hairball
35love
Hairball
Makes me yearn for the good old days - specifically the 1981 tour (my first) when ALL tickets were priced at apprx. $15.00 (give or take).
Survival of the fittest GA...get their early to line up...even the night before...first come first serve.

No No and No.
That’s right, she needs a chair (I don’t even want to ask how long I’ll be standing at the Twick)

It was not meant to be a bouquet of roses...it was a Rock and Roll concert for crying out loud!!!
Back when the Stones and the fans were still a bit rebellious and dangerous compared to nowadays where it's like visiting a folk music museum with the little ones and old aunt Ethel! winking smiley

No need to jump the gun on tickets - everything is in flux. Patience is the strategy. If it happens it happens, but seems less and less likely as we're now aiming to head to Europe for the latter part of the summer.
That said, never say never, and in the meantime it's fun reading all the excitement surrounding the upcoming tour.thumbs up

*(US TOUR 2019)

Yes I understand the edge of the blade with rock n roll.
You might have slept outside for 2-3 nights, as a female, no.
But, we had the mail order in 1981 in my US state for 1 show.
Both my envelopes came back rejected (Sold Out)
So, I spent a week or 2 or 3 listening to a radio station 24/7
to be the 10th caller.
My persistence paid off and I WON!
Picked up the tickets!
I got no show.
1989, I went to the newspaper for sale section where real scalpers lived
called, met, verified, paid my cold hard cash from 2 jobs I was working
GOT MY TICKETS
I got no show.

As Rockman once famously said:
‘You got your problems, I got mine.’

Date: March 2, 2018 04:02

In conclusion,
buying RS tickets online in 2018
compared to manually in the 80’s
is like buying pot stepped on hopefully make a call 80’s
to California Cannibus dispensaries 2018
It’s a big @#$%& improvement, LOL LOL

Posted by: nick ()
Date: March 2, 2018 04:32

35love
to be the 10th caller.
Picked up the tickets!
I got no show.
GOT MY TICKETS
I got no show.

What do you mean by "I got no show" ?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 2, 2018 04:33

35love
Hairball
35love
Hairball

No No and No.

*(US TOUR 2019)

Yes I understand the edge of the blade with rock n roll.
You might have slept outside for 2-3 nights, as a female, no.
But, we had the mail order in 1981 in my US state for 1 show.
Both my envelopes came back rejected (Sold Out)
to be the 10th caller.
Picked up the tickets!
I got no show.
GOT MY TICKETS
I got no show.

As Rockman once famously said:
‘You got your problems, I got mine.’

Ouch, but now you've seen them twice and presumably going for a third?!

Here in Southern California, 1981, there was no mail order for tickets for the L.A. Coliseum shows. My older bro and I went directly to ticketron to buy tickets day of sale, and I remember vividly waiting in a short line - or at least it was short for us as we were near the front. Turns out that some jackass musician named Springsteen also had tickets going on sale the same day, and several fans of the "boss" were clogging up the line in front of us!!! Aargh!!! Almost turned into a brawl!!! But we still were able to get our tickets for the two nights and everyone was happy!

As for waiting outside for two or three nights for the shows, that's not how we did it. For the first show we arrived very early at the Coliseum with my sister in tow to find that there was already a huge line. Some people had slept overnight, some arrived at the break of day, some were hanging by a thread, and some were seemingly OD-ing - it looked like the aftermath of a massive party with beer cans/bottles and camping gear strewn about. Found our place in line, waited, and finally made it in to find the field was almost filled, so we found a cozy spot w/seats in the lower loge about a third of the way back. For show #2, same scenario except it was just my brother and I. We made it in, and my older brother (who had seen the Stones many times prior dating back to '75) blazed a trail for us through the masses down on the field, and ended up about 30 rows back from stage to rough it for the rest of the day and night. Being just 18 and he 22, we had more than enough stamina, and turned out one of the most memorable concerts I've ever endured - both of them were for that matter! Hard to match those first Stones experiences, but several over the years have come close, and in a couple of cases might have even equaled (Vredenburg '03 comes to mind)!

On a related note to the above: I did camp out overnight in front of the Santa Monica Civic several times for tickets in the late '70's for Bob Dylan, Johnny Winter, Jethro Tull, and The Clash - FUN TIMES!

But back on topic:

Whining, moaning, complaining...right now I got nothing. winking smiley

PS - tentative travel plans to Europe have momentarily swung back to May/June for us - trying to figure out work schedules, commitments, and back and forth with family and friends over there to weave it all together. England, Scotland, and Netherlands or bust! If it happens it happens, but if not oh well...I've got a lifetime of Stones memories to cherish and reminisce about.

PSS - If you are going, ENJOY and have a GREAT trip! smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 04:57 by Hairball.

Date: March 2, 2018 06:18

nick
35love
to be the 10th caller.
Picked up the tickets!
I got no show.
GOT MY TICKETS
I got no show.

What do you mean by "I got no show" ?

Stupid old stories, bu5 ‘I got no show’
means both 1981 and 1989, on the DAY OF THE SHOWS,
things got very F’cked up for me. I did not see either shows.

Date: March 2, 2018 06:21

Ah Hairball I jest a lot with you smileys with beer
Thanks.
Yes, 2 for 2!
INCREDIBLE SHOWS!
The best!
THANKS IORR for helping me get tickets 2015, 2017, and I have a ticket for 2018!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 2, 2018 10:19

I WISH TO COMPLAIN ................. !!!

These ticket prices are far too reasonable.

I DEMAND THE RIGHT TO PAY AT LEAST £1000 PER TICKET !!!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 2, 2018 10:24

Yes - shut up and take my money eh?

Date: March 2, 2018 10:35

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 10:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 2, 2018 10:57

paulywaul

Try Viagogo, Getmein, Seatwave, Stubhub or Ticketbastard platinum and I’m sure they’ll be happy to help you grinning smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 2, 2018 11:29

grzegorz67
paulywaul

Try Viagogo, Getmein, Seatwave, Stubhub or Ticketbastard platinum and I’m sure they’ll be happy to help you grinning smiley

They would indeed be delighted, but we all know what my sentiments are about these sorts of organisations ! They can go and f**k themselves !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 2, 2018 12:50

GuessWho

Rolling Stones - Manchester - June 5, 2018 at 4:00 PM
1 Lucky Dip @ £ 30.00 = £ 30.00
1 Service Charge @ £ 3.60 = £ 3.60
1 Standard Mail (UK only) @ £ 2.75 = £ 2.75

Total Cost: £ 36.35

drinking smiley

*Got in early and the system somehow allowed a single LD..
For 1976 prices!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 12:53 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 2, 2018 13:37

Yet another shady practice - when you now go to Ticketbastard to buy Stones tickets, the only page that comes up offers platinum tickets only. You have to go to "type" and untick platinum to get face value ticket options. Disgraceful.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 2, 2018 13:48

lucky dip tickets were to easy to get… smiling smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 2, 2018 14:02

Bank of England inflation calculator says if you paid £22 in for goods and services in 1990 those same goods and services allowing for inflation should come to, today, £47.50

The cheapest ticket for this lot, from what I can see is £179.

4 times as much as inflation.

I've decided I'm not going to feed this negative energy (greed), (even if the true cause of that is the stadium management, et al, charging inflation busting rental of the stadium for a few days............ as it can only make things worse for everyone else that's alive.

The Stones?................They are good but not that good.........................(and, definitely not as good as they were in 1990.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 19:43 by EddieByword.

Date: March 2, 2018 14:06

MisterDDDD
GuessWho

Rolling Stones - Manchester - June 5, 2018 at 4:00 PM
1 Lucky Dip @ £ 30.00 = £ 30.00
1 Service Charge @ £ 3.60 = £ 3.60
1 Standard Mail (UK only) @ £ 2.75 = £ 2.75

Total Cost: £ 36.35

drinking smiley

*Got in early and the system somehow allowed a single LD..
For 1976 prices!

thumbs up

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 2, 2018 14:13

paulywaul
grzegorz67
paulywaul

They would indeed be delighted, but we all know what my sentiments are about these sorts of organisations ! They can go and f**k themselves !!

Poetry Paul, sheer poetry grinning smiley Oddly enough I think the same. They are only useful when the clock runs down to showtime and they have a load of overpriced tickets they're desperate to shift. Tickets for past events are worthless so it's fun to watch them s**t their pants as the last few days and hours tick by and they are forced to drop their prices like a Stone in a desperate attempt to avoid a 100% loss.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 14:25 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 2, 2018 14:44

From the official Lcky Dip info:

"We will be using strict anti-scalper measures to ensure that these tickets go to Stones fans and don’t end up on the resale market with wildly inflated prices."

WHY are strict anti-scalper measures not used for all tickets, but just for a handful of cheapest ones?

Date: March 2, 2018 14:50

Happy24

"We will be using strict anti-scalper measures to ensure that these tickets go to Stones fans and don’t end up on the resale market with wildly inflated prices."

WHY are strict anti-scalper measures not used for all tickets, but just for a handful of cheapest ones?

The intent is to give us hard-core fans a deal, (yes, and fill seats) which is why they offer only through RS web-site. The other anti-scalping method they use for reg tickets is to charge scalpers prices, leaving no room for them to profit.

Date: March 2, 2018 15:03

MisterDDDD
Happy24

The intent is to give us hard-core fans a deal, (yes, and fill seats) which is why they offer only through RS web-site. The other anti-scalping method they use for reg tickets is to charge scalpers prices, leaving no room for them to profit.

Yeah, I know about this "very nice gesture," my question was rhetorical more than anything else.

From this official statement it is obvious, that strict anti-scalper measures CAN be applied. Yet they are only applied to this extremely limited amount of tickets, while huge amount of good tickets that those real fans (incl. me) would be willing to buy go directly to Platinum Tickets, Seatweave, Viagogo... and in the end it is like "look how nice we are, we offer you Lucky Dips."

Not that LD are not nice, they are for a lot of fans, but it would be a nice gesture if it really was an extra offer to otherwise fairly functioning system, which it is not. And it is not only that the official selling system doesn't really do anything against scalping, it actually takes active part in it, bringing in cosmetic "antiscalping measurements" that in the end don't affect scalpers at all.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 15:10 by Happy24.

Date: March 2, 2018 15:08

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 15:09 by Happy24.

Date: March 2, 2018 15:21

Happy24
Yeah, I know about this "very nice gesture," my question was rhetorical more than anything else.

From this official statement it is obvious, that strict anti-scalper measures CAN be applied. Yet they are only applied to this extremely limited amount of tickets, while huge amount of good tickets that those real fans (inc. me) would be willing to buy go directly to Platinum Tickets, Seatweave, Viagogo... and in the end it is like "look how nice we are, we offer you Lucky Dips."

Not that LD are not nice, they are for a lot of fans, but it would be a nice gesture if it really was an extra offer to otherwise fairly funcioning system, which it is not.

Gotcha.
Rhetorical and sarcasm are often difficult to discern online.
For example- you're moniker.winking smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 2, 2018 19:26

I don't complain.
I simply won't see any No Filter '18 show.
Seen them in Düsseldorf '17 and I enjoyed it very much.
Cost me a hell of money and I didn't regret it.
Just don't feel the wish or need to repeat that about half a year later.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: March 2, 2018 19:35

normal tickets prices doesnt make sense these days, but managed me to get 4 lucky dips, which makes more sense smiling smiley see you in london and berlin winking smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home