Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 77
Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 1, 2018 17:42

All these packages like "Brown Sugar VIP" and "Jumping Jack Cash" or whatever they are called are something they made for two reasons, listed in no particular order of preference:

a). For the convenience of the fans
b). To make an uplift on the ticket income i.e. more money

If you have one of these VIP packages it is like having a season ticket with your favourite team. You get free parking, a cap and a tour program and a poster and may be even a bag to carry that stuff. And they let you in through a fast track queue may be an hour before the other fans, so that you don't have to get hurting legs, and you may be even get special catering, and separate toilets, so that you get the beer easy, and also get rid of the outcome of it later.

It is all about priority. Personally, if I had saved all the money I ever invested in The Rolling Stones and touring and all of that, I could have purchased one or two more and bigger houses to live in. I could have had a boat and a cottage and travels to the Canary Islands and a stack of Italian clothing in my house and the best mobile phone at all times. I could have been married to a glamorous girl wearing diamond rings and getting attention from the outside world by having sex on a reality show and spending money on drinks and drugs and sharing pictures on my hacked mobiles and all of that.

But I put my priorities different. When my father in law was 90 years old I was in St Louis watching the Stones live. I did not invest in a flight back home during the tour. Most family events in my family have been adjusted to the Stones tours so that I can be there, but I was on my way to Brooklyn for a show when the last graddaughter was born, because you can't plan everything in life.

I don't complain. I can't see the point. I don't need three houses, and I don't need a fancy car or a high healed bimbo in life. I am happy with my life and when the Stones have taken what they need for the tours I am still not starving. I am a happy person, and by the way, "Grympy Old Men" is a great movie, everybody should see it.

No offense, feel free to complain about ticket prices and sales tax and ticket surcharge and crappy merchandise at high prices and all of that, it is a free world, by all means, let's talk about it. Getting the grumpy stuff out of your body is actually good for your health, so keep it coming.

Bjornulf

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 1, 2018 17:43

Gazza
syrel
scoreboardpaddock
That whole platinum thing on ticketmaster where prices are fluctuating at different times of the day is an absolute disgrace.

Why is that a disgrace but airlines charging different prices for seats at different times not? I don't mean to sound argumentative, I'm genuinely interested if you think they are different. People on the same plane, in the same class, pay different prices all of the time and we don't (I think) view that as outrageous.

syrel

It is a bit, to be honest.

But surely a like for like comparison is another rock n roll show, not a flight.

Plus, its not quite the same anyway. The main reason why you're more likely to pay a significantly larger price for a flight in the same class as someone else did is more likely to be dependent on when you book it, not what seat youre sitting in.

You're right it's not a perfect analogy but it's not a million miles away either: 'when you book it' is about supply and demand and prices change dynamically according to that (if you're booking late there are fewer seats available and you're probably desperate). What's happened to hotel prices since the tour has been announced is another example of that.

I think that the interesting thing going on here is that the promoters are using a model that is much more like airlines/hotels and less like other entertainment products (though this is definitely the way all entertainment tickets will go in the near future. Everything will be like Stubhub eventually).

This week's Lefsetz Podcast has the president of AEG on it, discussing the Stones' ticketing strategy.
[lefsetz.com]

I'm not necessarily defending this system - though as I said I think it's inevitable - but I do find it academically interesting, and I am interested in people's reactions to it (which are perfectly legitimate).

cheers

syrel

Date: March 1, 2018 18:29

syrel
scoreboardpaddock
That whole platinum thing on ticketmaster where prices are fluctuating at different times of the day is an absolute disgrace.

Why is that a disgrace but airlines charging different prices for seats at different times not? I don't mean to sound argumentative, I'm genuinely interested if you think they are different. People on the same plane, in the same class, pay different prices all of the time and we don't (I think) view that as outrageous.

syrel

How the hell can you compare a music concert to airline travel?!

Give your head a wobble mate. You can't compare the pricing structure in one industry to another. I go to a lot of gigs / concerts a year and this is the first time I've ever heard of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-01 18:30 by scoreboardpaddock.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 1, 2018 18:37

The platinum tickets are a scam. and actually it would make sense if they were the best seats (even though I'd still think its wrong) but they aren't. They are randomly selected arbitrary seats that are just picked and chosen by the venue and the band to just be a higher price. You don't get any perks, and frankly you don't have better seats than people who paid way less. While I blame TM, I also hold it on the incredibly stupid public that still buys them. Either they don't know it or just have the money and want to be something thats "platinum" but it would go away if fans didn't buy into it. They do, so it stays. So as with a lot of stuff in the concert business these days, I'm upset its being implemented, but the moronic general public is the reason it stays. You get what you deserve. I'm just happy I saw most of my heroes before it got out of control like this. My two favorites (the Stones and Springsteen) are charging way too much when they are largely performing the same show every night, and one I've seen a number of times. Just not worth it anymore.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: March 1, 2018 18:40

scoreboardpaddock
syrel
scoreboardpaddock

syrel

Give your head a wobble mate. You can't compare the pricing structure in one industry to another. I go to a lot of gigs / concerts a year and this is the first time I've ever heard of it.

Makes perfect sense to me, pretty good analogy/comparison to make a point. What's being compared isn't airline travel and a music concert it's the pricing of tickets...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 1, 2018 18:45

bv
All these packages like "Brown Sugar VIP" and "Jumping Jack Cash" or whatever they are called are something they made for two reasons, listed in no particular order of preference:

a). For the convenience of the fans
b). To make an uplift on the ticket income i.e. more money

If you have one of these VIP packages it is like having a season ticket with your favourite team. You get free parking, a cap and a tour program and a poster and may be even a bag to carry that stuff. And they let you in through a fast track queue may be an hour before the other fans, so that you don't have to get hurting legs, and you may be even get special catering, and separate toilets, so that you get the beer easy, and also get rid of the outcome of it later.

It is all about priority. Personally, if I had saved all the money I ever invested in The Rolling Stones and touring and all of that, I could have purchased one or two more and bigger houses to live in. I could have had a boat and a cottage and travels to the Canary Islands and a stack of Italian clothing in my house and the best mobile phone at all times. I could have been married to a glamorous girl wearing diamond rings and getting attention from the outside world by having sex on a reality show and spending money on drinks and drugs and sharing pictures on my hacked mobiles and all of that.

But I put my priorities different. When my father in law was 90 years old I was in St Louis watching the Stones live. I did not invest in a flight back home during the tour. Most family events in my family have been adjusted to the Stones tours so that I can be there, but I was on my way to Brooklyn for a show when the last graddaughter was born, because you can't plan everything in life.

I don't complain. I can't see the point. I don't need three houses, and I don't need a fancy car or a high healed bimbo in life. I am happy with my life and when the Stones have taken what they need for the tours I am still not starving. I am a happy person, and by the way, "Grympy Old Men" is a great movie, everybody should see it.

No offense, feel free to complain about ticket prices and sales tax and ticket surcharge and crappy merchandise at high prices and all of that, it is a free world, by all means, let's talk about it. Getting the grumpy stuff out of your body is actually good for your health, so keep it coming.

*Some of your best writing smoking smiley

Date: March 1, 2018 18:49

JN99
scoreboardpaddock
syrel
scoreboardpaddock

syrel

Makes perfect sense to me, pretty good analogy/comparison to make a point. What's being compared isn't airline travel and a music concert it's the pricing of tickets...

Yeah, in two totally different industries. One in which this ticketing pricing strategy is hardly ever used and one in which most people would class as official touting.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 1, 2018 19:07

JN99

Excellent analogy that illustrates the pricing strategy very well.
I'm sure when airlines started the practice years ago, as well as hotels, the same outrage was prevalent. Supply and demand pricing is as old as currency no doubt, just manifesting it's way into this now hi-tech industry. Used to be the nonprofessional and professional scalpers would pocket the extra $, now it's the promoters/artists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-01 19:09 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 1, 2018 19:12

scoreboardpaddock
JN99
scoreboardpaddock
syrel
scoreboardpaddock

syrel

Yeah, in two totally different industries. One in which this ticketing pricing strategy is hardly ever used and one in which most people would class as official touting.

scoreboardpaddock, the point about concert pricing becoming like airline pricing isn't my opinion - that is just fact, well acknowledged within the ticketing industry for several years. Take a listen to the podcast I linked to, featuring an interview with the president of AEG, if you don't believe me.

Now, whether concert ticketing SHOULD become more like airline ticketing is another matter altogether. You can make a perfectly reasonable argument that they should remain different. But that is not the direction in which the ticketing industry is heading.

syrel

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 1, 2018 19:32

bv

If you have one of these VIP packages it is like having a season ticket with your favourite team. You get free parking, a cap and a tour program and a poster and may be even a bag to carry that stuff. And they let you in through a fast track queue may be an hour before the other fans, so that you don't have to get hurting legs, and you may be even get special catering, and separate toilets, so that you get the beer easy, and also get rid of the outcome of it later

Not wishing to start a whole new debate, but my season ticket entitles me to nothing more than my seat for every match in a season.

No free parking
No cap
No programmes
No fast track
No priority beer queue

Just a seat for every match

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 1, 2018 19:33

There is a strange correlation between ticket prices and The Rolling Stones. Or demand curve (for anyone who have read some economics). While the product itself (RS) is getting
worse and worse (older, less able, less productive) the ticket prices are going up. It was the same with Frank Sinatra though. So The Stones are not the first example. Just an observation...

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: March 1, 2018 20:01

andy js
bv

If you have one of these VIP packages it is like having a season ticket with your favourite team. You get free parking, a cap and a tour program and a poster and may be even a bag to carry that stuff. And they let you in through a fast track queue may be an hour before the other fans, so that you don't have to get hurting legs, and you may be even get special catering, and separate toilets, so that you get the beer easy, and also get rid of the outcome of it later

Not wishing to start a whole new debate, but my season ticket entitles me to nothing more than my seat for every match in a season.

No free parking
No cap
No programmes
No fast track
No priority beer queue

Just a seat for every match

Well I know my club's season ticket holders get priority booking for both home cup matches and all away matches before tickets go on general sale.

They also get discounts on merchandise and if in the rare event we get to a cup final season ticket holders get first shout on any cup final tickets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-01 20:02 by DartfordRenegade.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 1, 2018 20:18

syrel
scoreboardpaddock

syrel

It's equally outrageous, but it doesn't get the same reaction because the prices are not as transparent and are not easy to keep tabs on, even if you wanted to make the effort, which most people don't. Also there's none of the same mad simultaneous scrambling for seats. So in the end passengers are not really aware or have little idea of what other passengers might have paid for their ticket, whereas with concert tickets, it's all pretty much as plain as day.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 1, 2018 20:23

Stoneage
There is a strange correlation between ticket prices and The Rolling Stones. Or demand curve (for anyone who have read some economics). While the product itself (RS) is getting
worse and worse (older, less able, less productive) the ticket prices are going up. It was the same with Frank Sinatra though. So The Stones are not the first example. Just an observation...

the main similarity with that is that the target audience is also getting older and - in theory anyway - has more disposable income and are more likely to be fussy about what shows they pick and choose to go to.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 1, 2018 20:29

Fluctuating ticket prices from one minute to the next?

One minute your lucky, the next your getting swindled?

And how is it determined when prices should rise or drop?

Maybe some mindless official behind a computer whose having mood swings?

Jeez...what a f*#king scam.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 1, 2018 20:48

My main problem with Stones tours these days, and by these days, I mean in the last 30 years, is that like other bands, they don't make much out of record sales these days and so raise the revenue from tickets sales and merchandise. This is all well and good but for a great many people, they have simply priced themselves out.

When I started going to see live bands in the mid 70s tickets were accessible to everyone price wise and you rarely saw any up sells on tickets or VIP tickets. Some lucky folk got added to the guest list and that was very few by and large.

Prices like we are seeing these days are simply too high for a lot of people and rapidly becoming the preserve of the middle classes....rock concerts are middle class events in many cases -similar to sports events.

It's the way of the world and like most things people saw an opportunity to cash in and exploit and that is what we are witnessing these days....THe Stones are quick to remind us of their largely working class backgrounds, but it seems they have forgotten where they came from.

When I was 16 I could easily afford a ticket for any band on the planet, the percentage of a ticket to my wage was fair....sounding like a grumpy old man, but I feel this is how rock music is killing itself.

Date: March 1, 2018 20:50

Gazza
Stoneage

the main similarity with that is that the target audience is also getting older and - in theory anyway - has more disposable income and are more likely to be fussy about what shows they pick and choose to go to.

Sure. They have an iconic status and knows how to charge for that. Supply and demand. Whether the product itself is worth the price is another question I guess.

Date: March 1, 2018 21:24

crumbling_mice
My main problem with Stones tours these days, and by these days, I mean in the last 30 years, is that like other bands, they don't make much out of record sales these days and so raise the revenue from tickets sales and merchandise. This is all well and good but for a great many people, they have simply priced themselves out.

When I started going to see live bands in the mid 70s tickets were accessible to everyone price wise and you rarely saw any up sells on tickets or VIP tickets. Some lucky folk got added to the guest list and that was very few by and large.

Prices like we are seeing these days are simply too high for a lot of people and rapidly becoming the preserve of the middle classes....rock concerts are middle class events in many cases -similar to sports events.

It's the way of the world and like most things people saw an opportunity to cash in and exploit and that is what we are witnessing these days....THe Stones are quick to remind us of their largely working class backgrounds, but it seems they have forgotten where they came from.

When I was 16 I could easily afford a ticket for any band on the planet, the percentage of a ticket to my wage was fair....sounding like a grumpy old man, but I feel this is how rock music is killing itself.

I agree about the horrendous prices, but what's wrong with a £89 GA-ticket? We don't have to be rolled into the pit, be fed with champagne and caviar and a hat. A GA-ticket feels like how we did it back in the day, and it's not particularly expensive? smiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 1, 2018 21:29

DandelionPowderman
I agree about the horrendous prices, but what's wrong with a £89 GA-ticket? We don't have to be rolled into the pit, be fed with champagne and caviar and a hat. A GA-ticket feels like how we did it back in the day, and it's not particularly expensive? smiling smiley

And a special treat it seems in the UK at least, you can buy GA and still be standing on the floor/pitch/ground (!) Like going back a couple decades here.

Date: March 1, 2018 21:50

A £89 GA-ticket isn't cheap. Anyway you look at it. Maybe in Norway where everything is expensive but not in the rest of the world.
A GA ticket to my local hockey team (top league) is £10. If you want to be seated it's between £20 and £30. Reasonable prices.

Date: March 1, 2018 21:51

DandelionPowderman
crumbling_mice

I'm not as convinced about even the £89 tickets being that accessible, inflation hasn't been kind in relation to wages and disposable income for many is much lower. I could understand it more if the venues were smaller, but looking at the venues for this tour I can't see why GA couldn't have been lower, say £50....you never know it may introduce the music to more young people, and they would make up any difference in income through the seemingly endless VIP packages and the like.

Date: March 1, 2018 21:59

Makes me yearn for the good old days - specifically the 1981 tour (my first) when ALL tickets were priced at apprx. $15.00 (give or take).
Survival of the fittest GA...get their early to line up...even the night before...first come first serve.

Date: March 1, 2018 22:06

Stoneage
A £89 GA-ticket isn't cheap. Anyway you look at it. Maybe in Norway where everything is expensive but not in the rest of the world.
A GA ticket to my local hockey team (top league) is £10. If you want to be seated it's between £20 and £30. Reasonable prices.

Compared to other big acts it's a pretty good price, I'd say. It's cheaper than Hyde Park, if memory serves.

Date: March 1, 2018 22:12

£89 for a GA ticket is a great deal in today's world - even if the actual GA section starts half way back!

Date: March 1, 2018 22:41

I could afford to go and see them on this tour, it would be the first European tour I've missed since 76 if I didn't. But there is a part of me which thinks, do I need to hear those same old songs again, is it worth it. Manchester would take me about 40 minutes in the car or less on the train, but for two tickets and the additional costs I'd be looking at £300 for me and my wife.

Don't get me wrong, I always enjoy a Stones show, it's like catching up with old friends, but as much as I love the war horses and understand why they have to be played, there is a part of me which thinks, at least for one tour, they should mix up the sets a little more...it's kind of lazy to keep rolling the same bunch of songs....such a great back catalogue going to waste and still plenty our there who would appreciate such creativity.

I'll make my decision the week before the show and either hope for a LD or pick one up cheaper when it doesn't sell out....

Date: March 1, 2018 22:49

Hairball
Makes me yearn for the good old days - specifically the 1981 tour (my first) when ALL tickets were priced at apprx. $15.00 (give or take).
Survival of the fittest GA...get their early to line up...even the night before...first come first serve.

Oh, it was NOT a bouquet of roses, my friend.
No No and No.
Go buy 2 $89 tickets and take yer wife.
That’s right, she needs a chair (I don’t even want to ask how long I’ll be standing at the Twick)
Anyway HAIRBALL GO BUY 2 TICKETS TOMORROW MARCH 2

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 1, 2018 23:17

bv
If you are not happy with the ticket prices for the Rolling Stones shows this year, then please feel free to use this thread. And this one only. There is no point in spreading comments about ticket prices randomly across this board. It is one separate discussion. Here. Thanks!

PS. Same with SET LIST complaints. They will go here too.

Give me a break what good will that do ? You can complain all you like it's down to market forces BV don't be naïve. appreciate your attempted concern in trying to placate the fans and appreciate all you do. But. Bottom line is they don't care or give a F**k. Please don't pretend otherwise.

Date: March 1, 2018 23:26

What about the presales and fans from ‘here’ getting windows open to buy?
I think they do give a F.
It’s the ticket business itself that’s greasy, slimey like the record business (back in the day, before it became free online)

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: March 1, 2018 23:35

like the record business (back in the day, before it became free online)
smiling bouncing smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out hot smiley

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 1, 2018 23:36

I guess if getting presales is a gesture then fine I am all for that . But please how can Ticketmaster be allowed to ask for over £310 for GA at Edinburgh that is my problem. Not a Direct swipe at The RS - only for allowing this to happen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home