Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: Mick Taylor On Midnight Rambler: Who has the video/audio?
Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: November 27, 2012 04:15

Awful. Taylor overplays, misses notes, doesn't leave any space, demonstrates no subtlety and is strikingly off tempo most of the time. Ruins it. Play Sway instead or a disciplined Time Waits for No One.

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: November 27, 2012 04:15

71Tele
stonesfrkk
Hey I'm glad everyone over the pond is having a great time! Anyway I read a few post's on this Taylor thing and i had to check it out of course! It was wonderful seeing Taylor back up on stage and the Stones obvisiously playing very good, Taylor had some unbelievable riffs through out the song but as allways he self destruct's himself by going over the #$@#%$# Top! Period! Keef was way uncomfortable in some spot's but when Jagger has to take the mike and drop it to his waist like can we get into the groove of this song and drop the tempo when it's time to drop the tempo or is this the Mick Taylor show again and again he's like a child that never got enough attention. Period! i mean he's in Ronnie's rface he's in Keith's face and Jagger's face it's just plain Weird! We know your a great guitar player Taylor but please mesh with the band when you play! It's supposed to be fun man. another thing Woody is'nt even allowed on Keef's side so that was like Taylor saying FU to Keef just going for the hog show like his normal self if he slow the tempo when the band wanted to slow the tempo and pick it back again and again it would of been insane. Tatlor is just a blow it, you can see it all over the whole video he point's over to his guitar tech and point's up the turn the $#%$#@$ thing all the way up with a marshall to boot. I would be surprised if he even comes back for the next show but it probably on contract and the Stones are doing there 50th mini tour so i don't think they give a $#%#. It was way cool at the begining but if you watch it 2 or 3 times you'll see what is up and you can make your own observation!

Points taken away for overuse of exclamation points and not understanding that just because a word ends in the letter "s" it doesn't mean you put an apostrophe before it. "Self destructs", not "self destruct's". He "points", not "point's". And what does the sentence "Tatlor is just a blow it" mean exactly? If you had a point (or "point's", as you say) it would have been better conveyed in English.

Incomprehensible.
71Tele, I did'nt major in English in college,sorry the explanation point's got to you i was just typing from the heart after i finished my 3rd go around with MR. Call it in the heat of the moment!lol. Some people just don't like the truth,look at socratis he told the truth and they poisoned him! That's a fact!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 27, 2012 04:21

71Tele
stonesfrkk
Hey I'm glad everyone over the pond is having a great time! Anyway I read a few post's on this Taylor thing and i had to check it out of course! It was wonderful seeing Taylor back up on stage and the Stones obvisiously playing very good, Taylor had some unbelievable riffs through out the song but as allways he self destruct's himself by going over the #$@#%$# Top! Period! Keef was way uncomfortable in some spot's but when Jagger has to take the mike and drop it to his waist like can we get into the groove of this song and drop the tempo when it's time to drop the tempo or is this the Mick Taylor show again and again he's like a child that never got enough attention. Period! i mean he's in Ronnie's rface he's in Keith's face and Jagger's face it's just plain Weird! We know your a great guitar player Taylor but please mesh with the band when you play! It's supposed to be fun man. another thing Woody is'nt even allowed on Keef's side so that was like Taylor saying FU to Keef just going for the hog show like his normal self if he slow the tempo when the band wanted to slow the tempo and pick it back again and again it would of been insane. Tatlor is just a blow it, you can see it all over the whole video he point's over to his guitar tech and point's up the turn the $#%$#@$ thing all the way up with a marshall to boot. I would be surprised if he even comes back for the next show but it probably on contract and the Stones are doing there 50th mini tour so i don't think they give a $#%#. It was way cool at the begining but if you watch it 2 or 3 times you'll see what is up and you can make your own observation!

Points taken away for overuse of exclamation points and not understanding that just because a word ends in the letter "s" it doesn't mean you put an apostrophe before it. "Self destructs", not "self destruct's". He "points", not "point's". And what does the sentence "Tatlor is just a blow it" mean exactly? If you had a point (or "point's", as you say) it would have been better conveyed in English.

Incomprehensible.

Lol, the grammar pigs just arrived. FWIW, I get what you're trying to say stonesfrkk, but not sure it's accurate. You won't hear me complain about MT on stage with the Stones.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 27, 2012 04:22

His Majesty
stonesnow
His Majesty
stonesnow
It's great that The Stones have so many living members--past and present--to recall their glory years like that, and that they're all alive and well and still able to play. Not many bands from that era can boast 6 living members.... in fact, I can't even think offhand of one other such band from that era who can say that, can you?....

Kinda easier when you have atleast 6 to begin with and then go on and replace some people.

Not really. How many left from the original Grateful Dead? The band Love are all gone. Only 1 or 2 left from The Band. The mortality rate among the main acts from that era just seems rather high. Also, from more recent bands like the New York Dolls--just 2 out of 6 original members remain.

Besides, The Stones were a 6-piece band only before they began their recording career. To the public, they've always been a 5-piece outfit.

King Crimson, lots of surviving members.

Depending on who you count the list is as short or as long as you want it to be.

Back to Taylor with stones. grinning smiley

Good example, I hadn't thought of that one--but your list stops at one, which is my point after all.

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: November 27, 2012 04:23

The Sicilian
As I watch it again, it becomes more awkward looking especially in the first segment. Mick is clearly annoyed with Taylor's stalking and Ronnie and Keith are just stunned at his behavior.

Mick takes to the runway to escape the mugging. I think Taylor was hoping Mick would put his arm around him and sing let he used to do with Ronnie in 1975. Also it appears as though Darryl is not playing just holding his bass.

Jagger held his composure quite well thru all of this. He did a great dance just before the middle segment. Best I've seen in a while.
Nice post, The Sicilian. Point well taken, look at when Jeff Beck is on the stage with them he's a shredder and Woody got his lick in and Keith got his lick in and it was a great exchange and it seemed like they all had fun with it.It seem's when Taylor's on stage it's like he's a really creepy guy.jmo

Date: November 27, 2012 04:28

stonesfrkk, you don't have to make excuses for your posts. I haven't followed Taylor's playing in recent years but I would never have expected such an amateurish performance.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 27, 2012 06:33

stonesfrkk
71Tele
stonesfrkk

Incomprehensible.
71Tele, I did'nt major in English in college,sorry the explanation point's got to you i was just typing from the heart after i finished my 3rd go around with MR. Call it in the heat of the moment!lol. Some people just don't like the truth,look at socratis he told the truth and they poisoned him! That's a fact!

Hmm...ok. First, I don't think you need to be an English major to write standard comprehensible English without major grammatical and spelling errors. I see it more as a matter of good manners. And I certainly don't think you should be poisoned. But is what you are saying "the truth"? It's your opinion, though there's some truth in it perhaps. I thought the performance was daring and exciting, but perhaps Taylor grabbed the spotlight instead of trying to really sync in with Keith and the others. Maybe he just wanted to show what he could do in the brief moment given to him. Maybe it was nerves. What's funny is that he never played that much on MR when he was actually in the band. We have excellent 1969, 1972, and 1973 examples as a reference. In one way it's a very jarring performance. But it's electric and unexpected. How many times have we seen that from a Stones performance in the Vegas era?

Date: November 27, 2012 06:38

jazzbass
71Tele
stonesfrkk

Incomprehensible.

Lol, the grammar pigs just arrived. FWIW, I get what you're trying to say stonesfrkk, but not sure it's accurate. You won't hear me complain about MT on stage with the Stones.

I think "pig" is a bit strong don't you? It wasn't a matter of minor grammatical errors. It was a total mess. I find it slightly offensive to be asked to read something that looks like that. The English language is like music. When you write it with repeated common mistakes and half-formed thoughts, it's like listening to a musician play a bunch of notes without regard to their relationship to the rhythym of the song or the other instruments in the band.

Date: November 27, 2012 06:45

So...what do you suppose we will see on Thursday?

- A similar performance of MR.

- A more subdued Taylor on MR.

- A different song (or songs) with Taylor.

- No Taylor at all, because the band was irritated at his performance (my fear).

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: November 27, 2012 06:51

I am very pleased by the performance. Remember the 81' Kansas City show? He did the same thing... i.e., increased the volume because he probably couldn't hear himself and Ronnie was unhappy about it.

I liked the video/performance because we caught a glimpse of the old Stones, the MT era, working with the present arrangement of MR. During the song, all of the pieces (past and present, old and new) did not always fit together, but MT added elements that the stones haven't seen since 81'. I had no expectations, but I wanted him to play because for better or worse, they are a different band when MT is in the lineup. Even though his performance wasn't practiced or perfect, his contribution cannot be ignored. We constantly poke at the "Vegas era," but, MT's was certainly not going through the motions. This is exactly what I wanted and exactly what the Stones needed.

Clearly, MT isn't trying to be different. He is different, and that's why he quit the band. Perhaps the release of the Brussels show influenced Mick's decision to ask MT to guest on their 50th anniversary, and perhaps Mick listened to the bootleg and finally realized that the band was at it's best with MT on board.

Although the video quality isn't horrible, it's not professional. With that being said, it looks like MT rocked the house. Sentimental or not, I haven't heard anyone who attended the concert say that his playing was bad live. If Keith played faster, Charlie hit harder, and Jagger screamed louder, then no one would complain about MT turning up the volume. Keith plays very well at the end, and MY doesn't stand out so much. Remember, as far as we know, MT did this without practicing with them, and he still plays like it's 1973... I have no problem with that.

In 2007, terraplane posted, "I seem to recall there was some comment that MT was playing way too loud, taking uninvited solos and according to Ronnie playing some songs in the wrong key. Ronnie's comment was that MT had forgotten that the Stones had moved on and were playing songs differently to the way they used to be played. I find Ronnie's claim doubtful but if this is true, I can only assume that MT couldn't hear himself play."

The fact is, the Stones did move on, and when MT comes back into the picture, he wants to bring back the old band, his era. Maybe with more practice, that could happen; but without it, we cant expect the same magic.

I posted a link below to this thread. I hope it works. (Apologies if it doesn't work. Title of the post is kansas 81 with mick taylor from 2007)

2007 Post About Mick Taylor

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 27, 2012 07:02

71Tele

- No Taylor at all, because the band was irritated at his performance (my fear).

I'm hoping during the gap between last night's gig and Thursday's they have another rehearsal with Taylor to fine tune "Rambler." I think they know how great he'd be for that song but the other night proved that he was a little underrehearsed if not completely out of the loop on what this song is all about.

If they don't feel things will improve, I foresee them just putting him on another song all together. There knee-jerk reaction would be to not call him back but then it'd look weird if Bill came back and no Taylor.

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: November 27, 2012 07:13

Erik_Snow
I think that Taylor must have problems hearing himself onstage, between 1-2 minutes into the video he several times ask for more volume, and times he's standing on top of that stage monitor; and he's playing better then.
When walking around onstage, gone from the monitor, he sometimes gets lost in his playing....that's gotta be an unpleasant for him
Anybody else see that? If that's true....then the next London show could be an even bigger blast, for Rambler - if they solve this problem
...this is no complaint about Midnight Rambler yesterday....

I think you make a great point. One could see him asking for more volume. He did seem to be moving from stage monitor to monitor trying to hear himself. Add to that a massive set of nerves. Once he settled down he was quite good.

If he makes more appearances they can only be better. Now, I'm going to put on Brussels Affair and listen Mick Taylor overplay. smoking smiley

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 07:28

Some of you people just complain about everything, some of the other songs they played without Taylor didn't quite cut it, or is that Taylor fault too.

Date: November 27, 2012 07:30

lapaz62
Some of you people just complain about everything, some of the other songs they played without Taylor didn't quite cut it, or is that Taylor fault too.

I blame global warming and the rising of the sea on Taylor and Wyman. The quitters.

Date: November 27, 2012 07:37

Justin
71Tele

I'm hoping during the gap between last night's gig and Thursday's they have another rehearsal with Taylor to fine tune "Rambler." I think they know how great he'd be for that song but the other night proved that he was a little underrehearsed if not completely out of the loop on what this song is all about.

If they don't feel things will improve, I foresee them just putting him on another song all together. There knee-jerk reaction would be to not call him back but then it'd look weird if Bill came back and no Taylor.

Taylor has played on all the best versions of this song and you think he doesn't understand it, WOW.

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: November 27, 2012 07:43

Mick Taylor takes the stage with the Stones....plays Midnight Rambler...a long sought after dream for us fans....and people still complain?! Give me a break! Was it a perfect, flawless '72 era performance? Of course not. MT hasn't played with them for nearly 40 years! But considering everything it was amazing.

It shows a couple of things:
1) MJ was clearly awkward. He did not like seeing MT shake things up. More reason to believe MJ would rather have the same show every night, because it is safe and delivers.

2) Mick Taylor would shake up the entire tour if he was allowed to join in. It would dust the cobwebs off Woodie, Keith and MJ and get them going.

But bravo MT! Bravo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 07:49 by StonesBlake.

Date: November 27, 2012 07:45

lapaz62
Taylor has played on all the best versions of this song and you think he doesn't understand it, WOW.

You want to try to explain what exactly we saw in that video then? He hasn't played the song in nearly 40 years. A person can easily forget the subtleties of a song when they haven't played it for that long. And that's exactly what this looks like. He may have played this song perfectly in 1973 but he's not exactly on top of it today. Nothing a few more rehearsals can't fix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 07:46 by Justin.

Date: November 27, 2012 07:50

BustedButton
and he still plays like it's 1973...

???

Date: November 27, 2012 07:54

StonesBlake
Was it a perfect, flawless '72 era performance? Of course not.

That's not the problem. The problem was that it was near horrendous and his ego (or something) was exploding all over the stage.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:06

Justin
lapaz62

You want to try to explain what exactly we saw in that video then? He hasn't played the song in nearly 40 years. A person can easily forget the subtleties of a song when they haven't played it for that long. And that's exactly what this looks like. He may have played this song perfectly in 1973 but he's not exactly on top of it today. Nothing a few more rehearsals can't fix.

You might want to take a look at Richards during this song, is he even playing, I am not sure Woods is either but somebody is, a 4th guitarist out the back probably.
And the only issue that I have with Taylor, is that haircut, if you can call it a cut, he should sack his hair dresser.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 08:07 by lapaz62.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:07

lapaz62
Taylor has played on all the best versions of this song

That's a bit overstating it. I quite appreciate most of the Keith-Woody versions as well, and that includes all the versions in the so-called "Vegas era". The modern-day Stones do a terrific version of it (check out Bangalore '03 in the Stones fan club give-away DVD, Saitama '06, Albany '05, etc.), it's almost always their show-stopper, and Taylor here massacred it and I wouldn't want this repeated four more times.

But maybe blame it on the Stones for not having rehearsed with him first to see if he could play the damn thing and keep himself into some sort of discipline and elegant restraint!

Put him on a song where he does the solo and that's it - not riding roughshod over everyone. No weaving here, baby.

His playing with the Stones used to always be graceful, even when he was pushing the envelope energy- and speed-wise. This was the complete opposite of grace.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:09

TimeIs
StonesBlake
Was it a perfect, flawless '72 era performance? Of course not.

That's not the problem. The problem was that it was near horrendous and his ego (or something) was exploding all over the stage.

Well, no.

He was clearly the best guitar player on that stage. He was also clearly under-rehearsed with the people he was playing with and that was the problem. His type of blues-based guitar sound is what the band has been sorely lacking ever since he left.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:10

The guy is 63, how graceful can a 60 year old be, its not the 70s, get over it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 08:16 by lapaz62.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:11

lapaz62
Justin
lapaz62

You might want to take a look at Richards during this song, is he even playing, I am not sure Woods is either but somebody is, a 4th guitarist out the back probably..

haha yeah ok. It's pretty hard to take anything you say seriously after that comment. Carry on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 08:12 by Justin.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:13

Long John Stoner
He was clearly the best guitar player on that stage.

Over their careers, you can debate that. I'll go for Keith, which is more to my taste.

On THIS night, he was by far the worst.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:15

>Not many bands from that era can boast 6 living members.... in fact, I can't even think offhand of one other such band from that era who can say that, can you?....

Jefferson Airplane

Date: November 27, 2012 08:17

lapaz62
You might want to take a look at Richards during this song, is he even playing, I am not sure Woods is either but somebody is,

Their playing/not playing is the result of them being deers stuck in the headlight seeing Elephant Taylor crushing everything around him.

OK, so he was King Kong, now he's an elephant.winking smiley

My thoughts were more about the "musicians" Charlie and Darryl Jones. I was especially wondering what the latter was thinking watching Taylor play: "What the F is this guy doing?"

Date: November 27, 2012 08:18

hey, it aint as fat as your mother.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:19

lapaz62
The guy is 63, how graceful can a 60 year old be, its not the 70s, get over it.

Watts, Jagger, Richards, Wood, Wyman, those other geezers looked pretty graceful to me.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:19

or your sister

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home