Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 7, 2012 17:47

71Tele
The GRRR album cover is a shit sandwich. 3rd rate art. Really, was someone drunk when they thought of this? A bad concept badly executed. Any attempt to compare this cover to Exile or any other decent thing they've done is a stretch at best, and I feel sorry for those trying to force themselves to like it, it sounds like a great example of Emperor's New Clothes syndrome. Sometimes a disaster is just a disaster. How low will the bar go, and at what point will people stop making rationalizations for what is clearly a band that has degenerated musically as well as in other ways? Glad we got the SG and Exile reissues, as well as Brussels because we have something very clear and great we can compare this rubbish to.

Trying to force themselves to like it? I don't have any reason to be forced to like any new product of the Stones. Nor I don't think the cover needs any "rationalization" any more than the guy with three eggs in his mouth in thw cover of EXILE. I just find that cover extremily funny, and it puts me into good mood everytime I see it. Of course I could "rationalize" why I see it funny, but that's just explaining that phenomenon. The cover does not need any justification. I like it as it is.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-07 17:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 7, 2012 17:53

71Tele
The GRRR album cover is a shit sandwich. 3rd rate art. Really, was someone drunk when they thought of this? A bad concept badly executed. Any attempt to compare this cover to Exile or any other decent thing they've done is a stretch at best, and I feel sorry for those trying to force themselves to like it, it sounds like a great example of Emperor's New Clothes syndrome. Sometimes a disaster is just a disaster. How low will the bar go, and at what point will people stop making rationalizations for what is clearly a band that has degenerated musically as well as in other ways? Glad we got the SG and Exile reissues, as well as Brussels because we have something very clear and great we can compare this rubbish to.

I was thinking along the same lines as you until I saw the funny side, as you'll know Tele, (I've read enough of your posts to know you've got the nous) humour can't always be rationalised, (so no rationalisation on my part other than to say it eventually made me laugh).......
Just to check I wasn't being influenced too much by my inevitable bias towards the band - being a fan and all that - I showed it to a friend without any preamble about what's been said on here, she likes the Stones but is not a fan really - I opened the IORR page and she just said that...."That's really funny"....................soo.........as I say she's got no agenda or hope or care about the band and what they do or don't one way or the other.....?

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 7, 2012 17:54

DiscoVolante
I believe this wasn't very popular in 1972 either..

I had a magazine ad version of this picture glued to my binder in high school, circa '73. We were newly integrated so I got a lot of dirty looks.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 7, 2012 17:55

James Kirk
Don't forget that some stuff from the Some Girls and Exile re-issues were essentially new songs. Songs like Plundered my Soul and Following the River may have their genesis many years ago, but let's face it they are a lot closer to being new Stones songs than some long lost gems.

Oh, Mick atill writes, obviously.

Kinda sad though that he has to dig in the past to write on stuff Keith has done to inspire him.

That, kiddies, is because Keith simply cannot write music anymore.
He's the only Stone who doesn't tour, write, or play very much.

Talk is Cheap indeed.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: September 7, 2012 17:55

Doxa, the 3 eggs/balls/whatever in the dude's mouth is a great photo - it's also of something real. It should have been the LP cover.

This gorilla thing, along with THE lamest title ever, is beyond awful.

Re: Some thoughts about the creativity and productivity of The Stones: GRRR!
Posted by: RnT ()
Date: September 7, 2012 18:14

alimente
jamesjagger
Yesterday I listened to the new records by Ian Hunter, Bob Dylan, ZZ-Top.
All records sound good especially ZZ-Top. Rubin has made them sound so well.
But I don't think those albums are needed anymore. No outstanding songs. An ongoing repetition of what we all know already. If we wouldn't know their names nobody would care. Mark Knopfler even pulled out a double album which is I'm sorry to say an overall dull moment. The Stones are 70 years old guys and yes I also miss a highlight like waht they did in the 60s and eraly 70s. But frankly said I don't expect them to come up with something brilliant. I don't know an artist who has come up with something real remarkable after their career peak time.

Excellent observation. It brings back the focus to the simple fact that the Stones have already explored every single point in their musical universe - which is larger than the musical universes of most other artists anyway - not only one, but multiple times.

It's not a matter of creativity or age - they have done it all already, there is nothing left to add.

That said, I experienced that I enjoyed a small little ditty like Little Baby from Stripped tremendously, and most probably more than anything they released since then. Maybe just because it sounds effortlessly, just because it's no big production, just because you hear that they simply enjoy playing it, just because it at least sounds like they are playing together,live in the studio.

At this stage, an album full of "Little Babies" would be enough for me. Whatever they chose to record - honest recordings of them enjoying playing together would do the trick.

I fully agree with you Alimente. An album full of 'little babies' would be great. I also like Corinna on No security, Learning the game etc.: same feel, just playing for the fun of is. It seems hard nowadays to come up with really good songs, probably due to the fact they are no longer willing to spend endless time together to create new music. Then it would be nice if they just took some great old songs and turned them into Stones rock 'n roll, blues or country. However, by doing that they would not earn any songwriting royalties of course....
RnT

Date: September 7, 2012 18:52

The 4 Licks tracks should not be on it.

Date: September 7, 2012 18:54

Think someone will make it a username?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 7, 2012 19:07

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Think someone will make it a username?
You better hurry.

Date: September 7, 2012 19:51

stonesnow
MightyStonesStillRollin50
micawber
HopeYouGuessMyName
I am alway looking forward to new songs. So here is the question. Will Universal (and/ or the Stones) be greedy and NOT allow the two songs to be purchased individually on iTunes or will they be creeps and insist that we buy a 3 cd set to pick up two singles? I am aware that I have the freedom to not purchase anything, but I do want the new songs, because as a fan - I know that I will enjoy them!

What'S your suggestion? Mine is clear. They'll suck big time.

I hear they are "killer". Best Stones since Bridges.

MSSR50, I want to thank you for being such a good sport about all my needling comments regarding your being a Stones Inc. insider/secret agent man--after all, I say such things all in the spirit of good fun. I also want to thank you for complimenting me on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread for having such a "fabulous imagination", which, as a creative poet/musician type, I certainly do. I would also like to let you in on the fact that I possess certain psychic abilities as well, because, also on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread, in my post of September 5, I accurately predicted that you would proclaim the 2 new tracks on GRRR! as "the most brilliant tracks they've recorded since Bulges To Bubble-on", and sure enough, just 38 hours later in your post in this thread on September 6, you did indeed proclaim these 2 new tracks as the "best Stones since Bridges."

So you are indeed an insider--or at least, you know someone who has heard the 2 new tracks before the general public has, because why else would you proclaim songs as "killer" before you've even heard them? That would be putting the cart before the horse. And you're far too shrewd to be putting carts before horses, or counting chickens before they hatch. I like you, MSSR50--the almost unbearably upbeat, unfailingly positive tone of your posts, while appearing to contain a whiff of a certain hidden PR agenda, is most entertaining for sure.

Ah, but that's just my "fabulous imagination" at work again--fabulous, yes, and, as you can see from how my prediction of your "best Stones since Bridges" quote was foretold, also containing a hint of psychic-based truth.... Hey, how do you know I'm not in the room with you right now, unseen?--I could be looking over your shoulder the very moment you are reading this, like an apparition.... BOO! GRRR!

So you are the nervous lil Barney Fife Munchkin (overhead) with the heavy feet! How can one with such little feet make so much noise? And while I have your attention: Stop wasting tax payer dollars shadowing me and catch my stalker! The one who has stolen my identity and ran my cell phone minutes way over limit last month! I know I have a big mouth, but..... Or are you the stalker? Or worse yet, my manager, (sent by Mick) to spy on me to see if I am doing my job as Secret Agent (050) for the Mighty Rolling Stones! You see, we, (you and I) are kindred spirits.

Am I an insider? I am definitely an "outsider" here at IORR. Seem to have a knack for pissing off all the "Anti-Stones" that troll about around here.

Someday, (when the Stones call it quits) I will share all of my secrets.smileys with beer

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 7, 2012 19:54

I read an ad on a french weekly magazine, Le Point to name it, for the nex Mercedez-Benz A Class outlined atop with GRRRR....

Strange. Will this car company sponsor the next gigs or Tour !!!

Date: September 7, 2012 20:01

dcba
"I feel more sorry for those trying to force themselves to like the Obamao Presidency..."

Huh? drinking smiley

I feel sorry for anyone that believes any politician. No matter what side of the fence they are on.

Date: September 7, 2012 20:07

MightyStonesStillRollin50

Am I an insider? I am definitely an "outsider" here at IORR. Seem to have a knack for pissing off all the "Anti-Stones" that troll about around here.

Dont let anyone "get to you".... let it roll off your back like rain on a duck.... just keep on keeping on and ignore the ones who piss you off... that is their intent... just yawn at them just GRRR! at them (if you feel like saying anything).

Date: September 7, 2012 20:13

Let´s await the whole campaign before we give the final verdict.

No matter how lame or stupid this cover is (or may seem), I´m sure Mick has a plan. If not, it´s time for checking in at the elderly home - permanently winking smiley

Date: September 7, 2012 20:23

James Kirk
Don't forget that some stuff from the Some Girls and Exile re-issues were essentially new songs. Songs like Plundered my Soul and Following the River may have their genesis many years ago, but let's face it they are a lot closer to being new Stones songs than some long lost gems.

Exactly. It's interesting how this rarely (if ever) gets mentioned. Thanks for mentioning.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 7, 2012 20:24

- this is a minor piece in the puzzle - yeah it's kind of a 'thud', esp, given how cool the bootleg stuff has been - but there is more coming - lots more - just one thing - don't anyone be *shocked* if the '13 tour is instead a '14 tour - not saying just saying

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 7, 2012 20:27

hbwriter
- this is a minor piece in the puzzle - yeah it's kind of a 'thud', esp, given how cool the bootleg stuff has been - but there is more coming - lots more - just one thing - don't anyone be *shocked* if the '13 tour is instead a '14 tour - not saying just saying

Oh man, Chris.
You just ruined my day.

I'm getting tired of waiting...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 7, 2012 20:30

Kurt
hbwriter

Oh man, Chris.
You just ruined my day.

I'm getting tired of waiting...

didn't say that was the case - just said don't be shocked - and know for sure plenty of things are in the works - that's GOOD news

Date: September 7, 2012 20:36

Hell I dont mind if it is a 14 tour.... or a 15 tour .... or 16.... 18 ... 20.... 23.... 25.... 27.... 28..... 30 tour.... This aint the end... this aint the last album... This is The Stones... they are just doing their thing... like they have for my entire life.

GRRR!

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 7, 2012 20:42

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The 4 Licks tracks should not be on it.

"Don't Stop" should.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 7, 2012 20:58

EddieByword
71Tele

I was thinking along the same lines as you until I saw the funny side, as you'll know Tele, (I've read enough of your posts to know you've got the nous) humour can't always be rationalised, (so no rationalisation on my part other than to say it eventually made me laugh).......
Just to check I wasn't being influenced too much by my inevitable bias towards the band - being a fan and all that - I showed it to a friend without any preamble about what's been said on here, she likes the Stones but is not a fan really - I opened the IORR page and she just said that...."That's really funny"....................soo.........as I say she's got no agenda or hope or care about the band and what they do or don't one way or the other.....?

Well, Eddie, maybe you're right. Admittedly I am looking at it from a perspective of a fan who is used to a certain standard from the group. Perhaps the gorilla is a reach toward more casual fans...still, it's rather below par for my money.

Date: September 7, 2012 21:00

Doxa
71Tele

Trying to force themselves to like it? I don't have any reason to be forced to like any new product of the Stones. Nor I don't think the cover needs any "rationalization" any more than the guy with three eggs in his mouth in thw cover of EXILE. I just find that cover extremily funny, and it puts me into good mood everytime I see it. Of course I could "rationalize" why I see it funny, but that's just explaining that phenomenon. The cover does not need any justification. I like it as it is.

- Doxa

OK, great for you. The 3 ball Charlie thing on Exile was edgy art - you could love it or hate it - but it was art. It was also in a larger context with the rest of the Exile packaging, which used Robert Frank's photographs, and which was top rate. This is junk.

Date: September 7, 2012 21:05

...also, I never said this was the last thing we'd get, or that this is some kind of final statement. The archival releases we have received so far have me hopeful for more. But this band's future is in its past. I think two new songs in five years and zero playing to celebrate the Exile thing shows that. I am as hopeful as anyone for new shows, as long as they're good.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 7, 2012 21:42

71Tele
EddieByword
71Tele

Well, Eddie, maybe you're right. Admittedly I am looking at it from a perspective of a fan who is used to a certain standard from the group. Perhaps the gorilla is a reach toward more casual fans...still, it's rather below par for my money.

I don't what it's like in the States but tongue T-shirts are selling well here and to girls especially - I saw two young hotties with one on in seperate places the other day within half an hour - I suspect they don't even know it's a Stones design...........so yes, I agree, this will probaly go down well with them too. (and a couple of people on here have said that little kids like it too..........
Also, (I've got all those tracks already and will probaly get sent a link for the new ones)....so...I'll pass
So, OK fine, that's for Wallmart and ASDA and the Xmas binge, OK, so long as they keep the archive open, I'm going to be happy.................and hopefully a brand new album and some (more) shows will top it off...............

Andy Warhol apparently said to someone, "I've done something to get some money but what am I going to do for art?"....(or words to that effect)
hopeully we'll get some more 'art' from the archive soon and then some new in the New year and beyond..........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-07 21:57 by EddieByword.

Date: September 7, 2012 21:58

Do you think they chose the gorilla b/c of some large leftover King Kong baloon type items being sold at a discount?
Which they will use for promo props is my point.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 7, 2012 22:50

What is the setlist on the Grrr album?

Date: September 7, 2012 22:51

POST DELETED TO LOWER RISK OF BEING BANNED

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 01:06 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 7, 2012 23:07

I went to Rolling Stones dot com, and they do not give the Grr setlist. Strange.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 7, 2012 23:19

just don´t get all this drama about a compilation and its cover...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 7, 2012 23:19

Their ad gives a teaser
The usual suspects of Greatest Hitness

The Rolling Stones are pleased to announce the release of GRRR! on the 12th November 2012 for the world, excluding North America, and on the 13th November 2012 in North America.

Available in five different formats, including a three-CD 50 track version including 50 tracks, and a four-CD super-deluxe version gathering a whopping 80 tracks, the collection tells the fascinating ongoing story of the Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band In The World, from their high octane version of Chuck Berry's "Come On", their first single issued in June 1963, via the thrilling chart-toppers "The Last Time", "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", "Get Off Of My Cloud", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk Women" and the perennial juke-box and concert favourites "Brown Sugar", "Tumbling Dice", "Miss You" and "Start Me Up", all the way to the present day with the inclusion of "Gloom And Doom" and "One Last Shot", two new studio recordings recently completed by the group in Paris, France in August 2012.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home