Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 6, 2012 11:12

i dont know if that artwork has a meaning
like: primate live for a long life-time, why not a turtle for that then D
yet i find cool to mark a 50th anniversary with a touch oh sense of humour
that is how i also read the Grrr title
you know it's good that there is no "tigers out of the cage" on the cover
me thinks
)

dont have much expectations but hope the two tracks are good

Date: September 6, 2012 11:17

GumbootCloggeroo
Max'sKansasCity
Who says it will be a new album?... It could be many more albums... The Stones albums may not be kick ass rock and roll... but there is no reason they have to stop... Old man blues is fine...
Old man blues is fine, yes, but the thing is, The Stones are kinda mediocre at playing the blues these days.

I think they're doing it mighty fine:

Date: September 6, 2012 11:48

Oh man - that is the one thing the Stones have never lost: the Blues.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 6, 2012 12:34

DandelionPowderman
GumbootCloggeroo
Max'sKansasCity
Who says it will be a new album?... It could be many more albums... The Stones albums may not be kick ass rock and roll... but there is no reason they have to stop... Old man blues is fine...
Old man blues is fine, yes, but the thing is, The Stones are kinda mediocre at playing the blues these days.

I think they're doing it mighty fine:

If they themselves are motivated to go on and of their own will and ambition become musically creative anew, this is indeed a path they might follow in a truly honourable fashion. Supplemented by other ideas that they might find inspiring and suited. It could make possible a fine or even superb "last years' period" of the band's existence, coming after what I think someone termed "latter day Stones".

I dare not directly hope for it, but it would have been a dream of dreams.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: September 6, 2012 13:05

I don't mind a compilation, if it's 80+ tracks then it's actually pretty interesting, and I don't expect anything new from the Stones. But the cover, the title and the app is just so ridiculously bad taste. That, I was expecting from the Stones, some class after all these years. That horrible gorilla is a burn against their fans and to themselves. It's a proof that they just don't take this seriously anymore.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 6, 2012 13:23

I have to admit that when I saw the name and cover I thought 'Oh no, WTF?!??!'

Thinking about it more though, as a few have said, this is clearly a compilation (no others are in print) for the newbie potential fan, much as Hot Rocks or Rewind etc in the past was for many of us.

For the hard core, we've had loads of goodies in the last two years, and I for one am not complaining.

If we get a new album (which I doubt) and a mini-tour and just one more chance to see them live, then that's fine with me.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: September 6, 2012 14:18

As a fan, I agree this new compilation sucks but the Stones don't make records only for hard fans, we are a minority as customers.
1) The bootlegs series are for us for sure, not for the lambda people. It is a good stratery.
2) The reissued packages like some girls, get yer ya ya's out or exile on main street and some next in the future I hope are for the fans and for the new people who discover the band. People who buy some girls for the first time get the outtakes at the same time. Good for them.
3) The new compilation is for everybody who want to get a rolling stones compilation and they are so much...
This is definitively a really good strategy. Jagger's brain is going well... his bank account too.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: September 6, 2012 14:18

They probably decided to see how many fans would still buy their crap if they released a joke, they had the choice between a best-of album with a donkey and a gorilla and decided to release the gorilla one.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: September 6, 2012 14:44

I actually think that their new project is quite amusing!

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: September 6, 2012 14:58

Something doesn't add up, boys and girls.

3CDs 50 songs. Check.

4CDs 80 songs. Huh?

30 songs on the one CD?

Also, if you look at the original language: " 4CD / 80 tracks plus
bonus CD
, 7" Vinyl, hardback book, Poster, 5 postcards in a presentation box"

So now its 5 CDs right?

INCOMING! SHITLOADS OF UNRELEASED STUFF!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRReat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 15:02 by superrevvy.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: September 6, 2012 15:15

On the deluxe edition, the compilation is 5 cds for €126.00.
For this price on the internet you can find the entire collecton.
A lambda people doesn't spend €126.00 for a compilation. I will be interested by the vinyl version only but it is a little bit expensive.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: September 6, 2012 15:28

I said, SHITLOADS OF UNRELEASED STUFF!

What, nobody's got the balls to call "bullshit" on me?

REVealed on the same day: Shitloads of unreleased stuff and the official word
that SuperHeavy is ongoing. And its not even my birthday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 15:30 by superrevvy.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 6, 2012 15:30

Almost three days later the gorilla still makes me laugh. It makes my kids laugh. I put a print of it on the fridge and ever time my wife sees it she freaks out which makes us all laugh. It's funny. Rock'n'roll is supposed to be fun.

GRRR! is already entertaining the world and we don't even know what the hell is going to be on it. I'd say, "Mission accomplished."

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: September 6, 2012 15:35

Braincapers
Max'sKansasCity

Hell look at Buddy Guy...
he put out a great new album last year at 74 years young.

Ian Hunter and Bob Dylan have excellent albums out this week and they are both in their 70s. I suspect that it's easier for a solo artist to make a record when he feels like doing it and up to doing it that it is getting four old timers ready and able at the same time.

Thank You....i referenced this yesterday...only to get a snide comment about Ian Hunter's latest "smash record" from someone...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 6, 2012 15:49

As often happens, after the initial WTF??? reaction, I'm starting to see the point of the GRRRilla. He sure stands out in a crowd, kids seem to like him, he's got the old lascivious Stones twinkle in his eye, he'll make a great T-shirt, for those who dare to wear one.

I've been wondering what our reaction would be if the Stones were to introduce the Tongue logo now, in 2012. Wouldn't we all hate it? If EVER anything was over-the-top vulgar, that was, but my goodness, it works. We've got so used to it that we've forgotten how shocking it used to be.

Maybe we have all turned into our parents - who hated the rude, ugly Stones.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 6, 2012 15:55

I kinda like the cover
am I alone ?
wild and funny, I think

Date: September 6, 2012 15:55

Like I said earlier,yet another greatest hits package (this one) to coincide with their 50th anniversary will only solidify their post -turn of the century reputation as lazy money grabbers. The best effort they can put forth is 6 days in a recording studio ????

A move like this would have been more appropriate a few years down the road,after another original studio album.

If you think that the ridiculous gorilla cover is going to turn a whole new generation on to the Stones,you're delusional. People under 30 years old who even shop for any CD's at all are few and far between.

As far as marketing research goes,you can say that about any release by any major record label. This does not always mean that the album covers they come up with are successful in helping the sales. See "No Security" as an example.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 6, 2012 15:56

The cover is surprising but not unacceptable. Amusing. One must talk about it.
I'm sure we'll see it on T-shirts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 16:00 by 1962.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: September 6, 2012 16:00

if a teenaged kid wore a shirt with that dumb ape on it to school these days he would get his ass kicked...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2012 16:31

ThroughTheLonelyNights
Well, I have to confess - after looking at the gorilla again and again, in the meantime I even prefer it to that stupid BtB lion.

No small praise

Posted by: mrD ()
Date: September 6, 2012 16:33

I was afraid of this.

With a limited amount of new songs I was hopping for an EP. At least an EP would have had some style. They even could put a 2012 version of "money" on it.

anything but: Grrrexit!

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: September 6, 2012 16:36

Forty Licks is out of print, so they need another best of out there for the casual buyer. Some may find it hard to believe but there are actually still some homes out there that do not have a Stones album in their collections.

The super WTF edition is there to tempt people like us who fall for the same tricks time and again, if you're not a collector don't buy it! Just download the new tracks or stream them.

I think the cover is great by the way, it's different and will appeal to a generation outside of this world!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 6, 2012 16:47

djgab
I kinda like the cover
am I alone ?
wild and funny, I think

Nope you are not alone.... I was surprised at first (not pissed or angry, just surprised. I stopped doubting Mick, and others who have proven track record long ago)... and the now after a few days.... the more I look at/think about the Gorilla... the more I like him...

You are not alone thumbs up

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: September 6, 2012 16:48

superrevvy
I said, SHITLOADS OF UNRELEASED STUFF!

What, nobody's got the balls to call "bullshit" on me?

REVealed on the same day: Shitloads of unreleased stuff and the official word
that SuperHeavy is ongoing. And its not even my birthday!

I believe you superrevvy!

Date: September 6, 2012 16:49

Forty Licks is out of print but,they could have easily put it back into print instead of basically re-releasing it under the pretense of a "new" collection. 34 to 36 of the 48 old songs on "Grrr" are probably the same as on "Forty Licks". The other dozen or so are most likely already readily available to be purchased. The four 2002 studio tracks are still out of print.

We can hope for some alternate mixes - maybe the eight track versions of Beast of Burden and Miss You etc. BUT I doubt that will happen. If anything,the alternate versions will be edits like the ones on "Jump Back". Hopefully,to save grace,the 2 new songs will be good.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 6, 2012 16:52

I popped in to see my Gradson this morning, he is 8 months old, my daughter is not really a stones fan but likes a lot of 60's stuff, The doors and The Who, anyway he was wearing a Stones T shirt... Brilliant i thought.

Then I was told that 2 of my other Grandsons were going about the house singing 'You Can't always get what you want' of cause they had been listning to it in my car so thats a good grounding for them, they are 8 and 10.

So after hearing all this from my daughter and seeing the stones t shirt it was all topped of by her saying "he has been learnind new sounds and his new favorite one is GRRR. Just can't believe it and there was no prompting and she didn't know about the new Stones news. I couldn't have had a better morning.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 6, 2012 17:03

That Back of the Hand video gave me goosebumps.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 6, 2012 17:03

pgarof
I popped in to see my Gradson this morning, he is 8 months old, my daughter is not really a stones fan but likes a lot of 60's stuff, The doors and The Who, anyway he was wearing a Stones T shirt... Brilliant i thought.

Then I was told that 2 of my other Grandsons were going about the house singing 'You Can't always get what you want' of cause they had been listning to it in my car so thats a good grounding for them, they are 8 and 10.

So after hearing all this from my daughter and seeing the stones t shirt it was all topped of by her saying "he has been learnind new sounds and his new favorite one is GRRR. Just can't believe it and there was no prompting and she didn't know about the new Stones news. I couldn't have had a better morning.

NICE!!! GRRR!.... Stories like yours keep getting posted here, kids are loving the Gorilla and GRRR!.... Maybe a generation (people now 19-29) had to skip over The Stones due to the generational issue(cant be liking their parents music).... but now... with the proof in the pudding, and the rock in the roll... Kids coming along now will only attention to the music (not knowing the reputation/stories) and they will say ""DANG! These guys are GREAT!!!... and they have so much music... and a sense of humor!"

In the long run... The Rolling Stones will go down in history as the Greatest!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 6, 2012 17:12

Max'sKansasCity
djgab
I kinda like the cover
am I alone ?
wild and funny, I think

Nope you are not alone.... I was surprised at first (not pissed or angry, just surprised. I stopped doubting Mick, and others who have proven track record long ago)... and the now after a few days.... the more I look at/think about the Gorilla... the more I like him...

You are not alone thumbs up

I have to say that I am exactly the same - it's growing on me

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 6, 2012 17:35

tomk
Max'sKansasCity
EddieByword
claudine

[www.rollingstones.com]

The humour of this struck me this afternoon, hard to quantify of course, just walkng down the street today, thought of it and laughed, had to stifle it of course out in public and all that........................
thumbs up Fun is a good thing to have!!

Funny you should say that 'cause the same thing happened to me yesterday. I was walking down the street to do an errand and couldn't keep from laughing. I had tears in my eyes. All I had to do was keep thinking "the new compilation is called Grrr and there's a gorilla on the cover." I don't think that was the intended response the band wanted. Hey, if laughter's the best medicine, then I haven't felt this good in years.
That was it............thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 17:54 by EddieByword.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home