Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15
Re: Stones rumored to play Olympics Closing Ceremony
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 13, 2012 15:47

Green Lady

The artists whose music was used in recorded form were mostly those who had a good excuse (like being dead smiling smiley ). If the Stones still want to present themselves as a working band, they can't use the excuse that they are actually unable to perform. And if all the deserving people who weren't included got a look in, we'd still be watching the ceremony right now.

I think that is why they gave Bowie a slot even though he did not appear in person. Maybe they asked him, maybe they didn't, but it's clear to all that he has retired from the music industry whereas the Stones have kept up the pretence that they are a working band.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 13, 2012 16:11

stonesnow
No Expectations
Never gave this rumor any creedence from the start.

With a word like "creedence" in your post and this being in London, you know you're just askin' for it, don't'cha?--when is the next USA Olympics?...

I didn't give it any credence either!

Glad they didn't do it. The show was poor.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: August 13, 2012 17:05

I thought it was a shame that not even a nod to the stones at closing of the olympics.
The stones didnt want to do anything for the queens jubilee,
and they didnt want to open or close the olympics, it makes me wonder
what they do want to do if anything.
I dont go with this we are not stage ready stuff,
if they dont want to do anymore shows, thats up to them,
i can live with it.

Date: August 13, 2012 17:14

terry
I thought it was a shame that not even a nod to the stones at closing of the olympics.
i can live with it.

Like Mick said:

- There might be some gigs later this year
- A real celebration of their 50th anniversary, starting in 2013

thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 13, 2012 17:16

The Stones Are Not a working band!!!!
I must admit, a great great band, but certainly not working
jeroen

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 13, 2012 17:37

terry
i can live with it.

<<< what they do want to do if anything >>>

The probable answer would appear to be .......... not a lot !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: August 13, 2012 17:50

The have never participated as the Rolling Stones in that kind of music gatherings. No woodstock, no Band Aid. The only festival they appeared I guess was Knebworth in 76.

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: August 13, 2012 17:59

Sars in Toronto

Mick and Keith in NYC for 9/11 memorial

altamont was a music festival

still the issue is why was there no stones songs considering this was to be symphony of british music

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 13, 2012 18:10

northernale1
still the issue is why was there no stones songs considering this was to be symphony of british music

An issue ? Really ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 13, 2012 18:12

Gazza
northernale1
Gazza
Hilarious. Even right up to the last second, people actually thought the Stones might play.

But

did you expect to not hear a stones song?

on what is to be a "symphony of british music"

I would have (I havent seen the ceremony yet as I was out last night) but to be honest I wouldnt get riled up about it as some appear to have done.

There's nothing to get angry about, but it is eyebrow raising to not have included them.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: August 13, 2012 18:45

Sars thats right.
Mick and keith is Mick and Keith.
Altamont was a Stones event with several supports. Or am I wrong?

I believe they pissed off the event authorities with their decision and their music got canceled completely.
I mean George Michael, Annie Lennox......Keiser Chiefs playing Pinball. Pink Floyd represented by the drummer....One embarrassing moment after another.
That was quite a poor symphony of the worlds greatest source of pop and rock makers.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 13, 2012 18:50

NBC really PISSED off USA viewers! They never showed Ray Davies or the WHO, instead they cut to a DUMB SHOW from 11-12....it was billed as a great musical finale with tributes to British rockers and then....fizzle...nothing! IDIOTS!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 13, 2012 18:56

paulywaul
terry

i can live with it.

<<< what they do want to do if anything >>>

The probable answer would appear to be .......... not a lot !
They want to do their own stuff, not together with a bunch of others - at least not too often.
It is very honest of Mick to say: we were invited, but we declined because we were not "stage ready". Quite many would go onstage being ready or not.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 13, 2012 18:56

beepee2
I'm sure Mick really wanted to do that... he loves those global massive performances, appearances with U2, the Grammy... in a way the White House, sure the Olympics must have been quite appealing to him. Obviously the "not stage-ready" is a joke (unless someone tells me the Who, the Spice Girls, Ray Davies, Brian May have been rehearsing for years before yesterday night). The real reason must have been his lack of faith in the Stones' abilities today, and too big a risk for a live event broadcast to billions of people. But having had McCartney, the Who, a bit of Pink Floyd, a bit of Kinks, a bit of Jimmy Page (that was in Beijing for the handover), being the only absent of this British music history medley, must be a bit annoying to Jagger.

This is once again one of those times when we really find it difficult to read Jagger's mind. It is rather usual or even easy to suggest that Jagger is so attention-hungry that he can't waste such a huge opportunity he had there. It would have been his biggest crowd since Live Aid or something. But the fact is that he did not perform. But I don't duobt a sec if Jagger would like to have performed there, he would have given the oppurtunity. He is a "sir" for god sake, and with Macca probably the biggest living rock star the host country has. And his recent performances show that he is also able to do that convincingly.

But he chose not to. So the issue is why not?

Some seem to think that the band - The Stones - is not in form to do that. Surely that might be true but I don't think Mick is so loyal to the band that if he wants to perform, he needs to stick to the Stones. No, he surely could have given the most energetic performance of the whole show last night just by his own if he would have wanted to do it. Funnily, athletic Jagger show might have suit rather well to the nature of the event... But he chose not to.

My suggestion came when I was watching the closing ceremony (I did that for an hour or so). This is NOT Jagger's context. Being a sideshow for something which is clearly bigger than himself. He would have been just a marionette in someone else's show. The Olympic Games is much much bigger institutiun than Jagger or The Stones is. Whatever he had done there, would have been rather insignificiant, and footnote-like. I think that is the lesson Jagger learned from the Super Bowl- there The Stones managed to make themselves to look rather small. Like lessening themselves to a side show level entertaining people in a context where they were abslutely irrelevant and insignificant. And it didn't help to boost the sales of A BIGGER BANG album one bit. It made them look like once time ago in Hollywood Palace, hosted by Dean Martin. And compared to that (where they were the only act), the spotlight in Olympic Games ceremony would have been even smaller. He would have been competed there with The Spice Girls and whatever freaky shows within the super-tight and organized schedule. Like pointed out in this or the other thread, the closing ceremony is not an event that is based on music, or is a "concert". There is a lot more going on, and the musical performers are there just to add their bit on the cake. This is not something to compare to Grammy Awards, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or Obama's blues party (or even to Saturday Night Live), where the musical performers were the stars, not someone's sideshow.

So my interpretation is that Jagger is so determinate and has artistically so big ego in a positive way, that he can skip schemes like these if he wants to. Call it artistic integrity or dignity, or control freakness, but he has afford for that. So my basic explanation is that Jagger refused to be a secondary act is someone's show - he is nobody's ape.

Besides, the whole idea of The Stones performing in an event like thís would have killed quite a lot of the hype around their 50th Anniversary celebration - this ace is seemingly still in their pockets, but they want to save it all for themselves - they are going to do it in their own terms, within schemes totally controlled by them. And not waste the probably last bullet they still have left by being a marionette in someone else's party.

Okay, that's my two cents.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 19:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 13, 2012 19:05

Good post Doxa.
I agree totally.
i guess the stones wanna do it on their terms, whenever that will be.
Or... it wont happen at all...
jeroen

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 13, 2012 19:11

So now we're super-analyzing the closing ceremonies of the olympics?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 13, 2012 19:17

What will be the next rumor?

Is their any big event in the near future where they could play?

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: August 13, 2012 19:19

mtaylor
What will be the next rumor?

Is their any big event in the near future where they could play?

North Pole on christmas eve,, just as Santa is heading out,, hehe,,, smiling smiley

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:12

A missed opportunity in my opinion - the Stones are a London band - no doubt they were top of the organisers 'hit list' - they would undoubtedley have closed the show - given 50 years in the business,that's how it should have been.

I suspect its just a case of the Stones being 'THE STONES' - they probably think they're above such a thing - shame on em,would have been a good stepping stone for any upcoming gigs.
As for the 'not stage ready' comment - not buying that at all - your not telling me that 4 guys who have spent the last 50 years touring the world could'nt hash together a couple of songs to bring the night to a great end - total crap.Lets face it - you could'nt exactly say that Macca's contribution in the opening ceremony was awesome - nontheless,he did show up - good for him.The Who did a good job to close it out - it was'nt a rock show - it was what it was - a bit of pride has been restored to the old country amidst the doom & gloom.

Whats the point of a tour if they can't be bothered to show a bit of support for their own country,but then they've never been too great at that.Maybe Keith is all washed up as many on here think - in that case,chuck the towel in & admit it - the last thing we need is him strolling round the stage doing nothing - I saw the last gig at the O2,my 16th - right now I won't lose any sleep if there aint a 17th.
Biggest surprise of the night - no Elton John - where the hell was he?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:19

The Stones (Mick) don't do anything if it's not within the timeframe of a tour. There is no tour in the very near future, thus nothing for them to really "promote" by appearing in the ceremonies. The free publicity would obviously been nice but then what? If they had perhaps already announced their 50 Anniversary performances/plans, maybe this would have been a tougher choice for Mick to actually join the festivities. But since there's nothing on the table for the Stones as a group, I'm sure the answer was an easy "no" for Mick.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:11

Doxa
This is once again one of those times when we really find it difficult to read Jagger's mind.

We?
Speak for yourself please.
I never tried to read Jagger's mind

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 13, 2012 21:16

Rolling Hansie
Doxa
This is once again one of those times when we really find it difficult to read Jagger's mind.

We?
Speak for yourself please.
I never tried to read Jagger's mind
Me neither. I have bigger things to worry about in life than what is on Jagger's mind.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:21

latebloomer
Gazza
Hilarious. Even right up to the last second, people actually thought the Stones might play.

Ah Gazza don't rub salt in the wounds, we all need our dreams.sad smiley

Actually, I didn't expect them either!

As it was in London I just thought that the Stones might be worth
a few notes of their music during the Symphony Of British Music.

Sad.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:26

The Stones had their 50th in a year which coincided with Euro 2012, a Royal wedding, the Queen's Diamond and the Olympics all within weeks of each other. They got scant media coverage. Better mamagement might have given them a higher profile but the moment's passed now. End of.

sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 21:27 by ROLLINGSTONE.

Date: August 13, 2012 21:40

This is not a snub or an insult to the Stones. They were asked if they wanted to participate and they said no.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:40

Kind of silly imo having a tribute to British rock and not having any reference to The Stones. It's kind of like having a tribute to the greatest sprinters of all time and leaving out Jesse Owens.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:48

ROLLINGSTONE
The Stones had their 50th in a year which coincided with Euro 2012, a Royal wedding, the Queen's Diamond and the Olympics all within weeks of each other. They got scant media coverage. Better mamagement might have given them a higher profile but the moment's passed now. End of.

sad smiley

No they didnt. They got lots of coverage on and around the anniversary itself considering all they did was attend a photo exhibition.

If they dont do any work or promotion, its hardly the media's fault that they get ignored for the rest of the year.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 13, 2012 22:10

Unless I missed it, there was no reference in the opening or closing ceremonies to Elton John either. Others have mentioned no Led Zepplin as well. Kim Gavin was the artistic director for the closing ceremony. According to an article I read, Gavin had a list of 1000 songs from which he narrowed it down to 30 songs. With one person in charge, I suspect it may have come down to what he liked, was most familiar with. He was responsible for the 2007 and 2009 Take That tours, which I think explains why they were given a spot.

Here's the link to the article, which was written by the Associated Press:

[www.times-standard.com]

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 13, 2012 22:35

mickschix
NBC really PISSED off USA viewers! They never showed Ray Davies or the WHO, instead they cut to a DUMB SHOW from 11-12....it was billed as a great musical finale with tributes to British rockers and then....fizzle...nothing! IDIOTS!

sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/closing-ceremony-cuts-cause-outrage-173850497--oly.html

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 13, 2012 22:37

US viewers had to wait until after the local news (which aired after the "dumb show") to see the conclusion of the ceremonies which included The Who. Bob Costas announced that as he signed off.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1734
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home