Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 13 of 15
Re: Stones rumored to play Olympics Closing Ceremony
Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: August 13, 2012 22:38

Gazza
No they didnt. They got lots of coverage on and around the anniversary itself considering all they did was attend a photo exhibition.

If they dont do any work or promotion, its hardly the media's fault that they get ignored for the rest of the year.

Exactly, they blew it and they blew it big time. The most likely explanation is that unless there is an enormous amount of money guaranteed, they can't really be tossed. Do people really think that these guys don't know how to market themselves? They are extremely intelligent and know exactly what's going on but their track record shows that they either can't be bothered or don't like each other or both. Anyone who wants to think differently can go ahead and live in the delusional world where Mick is the commercial fame whore and Keith is the anti-establishment rebel.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: August 13, 2012 22:52

The Wick
Gazza
No they didnt. They got lots of coverage on and around the anniversary itself considering all they did was attend a photo exhibition.

If they dont do any work or promotion, its hardly the media's fault that they get ignored for the rest of the year.

Exactly, they blew it and they blew it big time. The most likely explanation is that unless there is an enormous amount of money guaranteed, they can't really be tossed. Do people really think that these guys don't know how to market themselves? They are extremely intelligent and know exactly what's going on but their track record shows that they either can't be bothered or don't like each other or both. Anyone who wants to think differently can go ahead and live in the delusional world where Mick is the commercial fame whore and Keith is the anti-establishment rebel.

Those were the days.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 13, 2012 23:09

Justin
US viewers had to wait until after the local news (which aired after the "dumb show") to see the conclusion of the ceremonies which included The Who. Bob Costas announced that as he signed off.

That was some stupid shyte wasn't it? For a lame sitcom pilot, "Animal Practice".
Really, who decided that? It was an additional 20 minutes! And they break it up to show this show and the local news.
Asinine!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 13, 2012 23:10

Doxa
beepee2
I'm sure Mick really wanted to do that... he loves those global massive performances, appearances with U2, the Grammy... in a way the White House, sure the Olympics must have been quite appealing to him. Obviously the "not stage-ready" is a joke (unless someone tells me the Who, the Spice Girls, Ray Davies, Brian May have been rehearsing for years before yesterday night). The real reason must have been his lack of faith in the Stones' abilities today, and too big a risk for a live event broadcast to billions of people. But having had McCartney, the Who, a bit of Pink Floyd, a bit of Kinks, a bit of Jimmy Page (that was in Beijing for the handover), being the only absent of this British music history medley, must be a bit annoying to Jagger.

This is once again one of those times when we really find it difficult to read Jagger's mind. It is rather usual or even easy to suggest that Jagger is so attention-hungry that he can't waste such a huge opportunity he had there. It would have been his biggest crowd since Live Aid or something. But the fact is that he did not perform. But I don't duobt a sec if Jagger would like to have performed there, he would have given the oppurtunity. He is a "sir" for god sake, and with Macca probably the biggest living rock star the host country has. And his recent performances show that he is also able to do that convincingly.

But he chose not to. So the issue is why not?

Some seem to think that the band - The Stones - is not in form to do that. Surely that might be true but I don't think Mick is so loyal to the band that if he wants to perform, he needs to stick to the Stones. No, he surely could have given the most energetic performance of the whole show last night just by his own if he would have wanted to do it. Funnily, athletic Jagger show might have suit rather well to the nature of the event... But he chose not to.

My suggestion came when I was watching the closing ceremony (I did that for an hour or so). This is NOT Jagger's context. Being a sideshow for something which is clearly bigger than himself. He would have been just a marionette in someone else's show. The Olympic Games is much much bigger institutiun than Jagger or The Stones is. Whatever he had done there, would have been rather insignificiant, and footnote-like. I think that is the lesson Jagger learned from the Super Bowl- there The Stones managed to make themselves to look rather small. Like lessening themselves to a side show level entertaining people in a context where they were abslutely irrelevant and insignificant. And it didn't help to boost the sales of A BIGGER BANG album one bit. It made them look like once time ago in Hollywood Palace, hosted by Dean Martin. And compared to that (where they were the only act), the spotlight in Olympic Games ceremony would have been even smaller. He would have been competed there with The Spice Girls and whatever freaky shows within the super-tight and organized schedule. Like pointed out in this or the other thread, the closing ceremony is not an event that is based on music, or is a "concert". There is a lot more going on, and the musical performers are there just to add their bit on the cake. This is not something to compare to Grammy Awards, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or Obama's blues party (or even to Saturday Night Live), where the musical performers were the stars, not someone's sideshow.

So my interpretation is that Jagger is so determinate and has artistically so big ego in a positive way, that he can skip schemes like these if he wants to. Call it artistic integrity or dignity, or control freakness, but he has afford for that. So my basic explanation is that Jagger refused to be a secondary act is someone's show - he is nobody's ape.

Besides, the whole idea of The Stones performing in an event like thís would have killed quite a lot of the hype around their 50th Anniversary celebration - this ace is seemingly still in their pockets, but they want to save it all for themselves - they are going to do it in their own terms, within schemes totally controlled by them. And not waste the probably last bullet they still have left by being a marionette in someone else's party.

Okay, that's my two cents.

- Doxa

How do you explain them doing the NFL Super Bowl halftime show for which they weren't paid?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 13, 2012 23:20

So, was there soms news coverage as why the Stones didn't get a place during the ceremony? Or do only we care?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 14, 2012 00:03

oldschool

How do you explain them doing the NFL Super Bowl halftime show for which they weren't paid?

..because it took place in the middle of a tour, therefore requiring minimal rehearsal and inconvenience - and ideally, there would have been the knock on effect of a jump in sales (which strangely in the Stones case, didn't really happen).

The Stones simply cant or wont perform unless its within the confines of a tour. Had they been in the middle of a European tour this summer, I've no doubt they would have said yes to an appearance at the Olympics.

Date: August 14, 2012 00:05

Harm
So, was there soms news coverage as why the Stones didn't get a place during the ceremony? Or do only we care?

Only some people here care. I think we're living in some kind of parallel universe if we think that in the euphoria of a hugely successful Olympic games, the press are going to give a second's thought as to what musical content was excluded from the closing ceremony. Besides, they were featured in the opening ceremony.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 14, 2012 00:22

Interesting how the people who talk the least about rumored, possible upcoming
Stones events seem to talk the most about them... after it does not happen.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 00:34

The closing ceremony was actually pretty exciting for those (like me) lucky enough to be inside.

Couldn't see the Stones agreeing to just a 10m slot like The Who did but you can see from this clip in the stadium that it was a decent finale....

You can't see the band from my vantage point last night but the noise and fireworks display was truly awesome.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: August 14, 2012 00:34

I don't know,but would assume that all the acts turning up have done so out of the good of their hearts,being it was the Olympics & a lot of its success was due to an army of unpaid volunteers.
If so,maybe thats part of it - no money in it for the coffers - we'll just hang fire for the tour & then fleece the fans with even higher ticket prices under the banner of this really being the 'last time'.

'Greatest rock n roll band in the world'?????? - can't even be bothered to turn up & play a couple of warhorses..........sad state of affairs-give something back to your country for once.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 14, 2012 00:48

David Bowie among UK stars who turned down Olympic closing show
London 2012 finale used video montage of Bowie classics, and prerecorded slots for other absentees Kate Bush and the Sex Pistols

David Bowie turned down the offer to sign off Sunday night's closing ceremony with a performance of Heroes, one of several high-profile acts who passed up the chance to perform in front of a global TV audience of hundreds of millions at the finale of London 2012.

Organisers of the £15m show had also hoped to persuade the Rolling Stones, Kate Bush and the Sex Pistols to appear in what was intended to be a history of British music.

Even the Who, who did close the Games with a medley ending with My Generation, turned down the request to play twice, according to industry sources. But a decision by the Quadrophenia band to announce a US tour in July swayed them, given the scale of the promotional opportunity.

The three-hour show featuring Elbow, Take That and another Spice Girls reunion was watched by an average of 23.2m viewers, making it marginally more popular than the £27m opening ceremony two weeks earlier. Viewing peaked at 26.3m on the night, although the event, which garnered a more mixed reception than Danny Boyle's show, would have been helped by its Sunday night slot, with people are more likely to be at home.

As for Bowie, the 65-year-old has not toured since 2006, and it was always an ambitious request to try to persuade him to participate, even if Heroes was used an unofficial anthem for Team GB during the Games. Although he closely monitors his own press coverage, Bowie, now based in New York, repeatedly turns down requests to perform or appear in public.

Fans of the singer had to make do with a segment in the middle of the "Symphony for British Music" in which Fashion was played against a catwalk sequence featuring Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell – one of several recorded sections which suggested that hoped-for performers would not appear.

Six months ago, artist managers and other music industry executives were given a presentation by concert producer Kim Gavin and film composer David Arnold of ambitious plans to showcase the history of British pop music from the 1960s. At that stage there were few confirmed participants other than an agreement to play John Lennon's Imagine, which formed a centrepiece of the programme.

Kate Bush was among those Gavin and Arnold hoped would appear, and there were rumours in the industry that she had agreed to perform. However, Bush too is reluctant to appear in public. Organisers agreed to play a remix of Running Up That Hill, and the singer released a statement on her website on Monday praising a "brilliant show".

Backstage on the night, there was surprise that George Michael was allowed to play his new single, White Light, which was released on Monday , in addition to solo classic Freedom. Island Records, his record company, hastily deleted a tweet inviting viewers to buy the song and the single did not make the top 10 on iTunes on Monday.

One manager keen to support the event was Simon Fuller, the impresario behind the Spice Girls, David Beckham and Andy Murray. Some of the Spice Girls were particularly reluctant to perform at an event that despite all its apparent expense was still felt to be staged at minimal cost, but Fuller persuaded them, helpfully keeping the quintet in the public eye a few months ahead of the opening of the musical Viva Forever, which is based on their songs.

Fuller, who was in the Royal Box on Sunday night, also saw another of his acts, singer Annie Lennox, perform Little Bird. But there was little sign of his rival svengali, Simon Cowell, with only one X Factor act, One Direction, performing at the event.

HMV said it expected sales of music by John Lennon, the Spice Girls and Elbow – who performed One Day Like This – to soar by up to seven-fold this week. A compilation of the night's music, A Symphony for British Music, went to number two on the iTunes album chart, behind Now That's What I Call Music! 82.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 14, 2012 00:48

Gazza
oldschool

..because it took place in the middle of a tour, therefore requiring minimal rehearsal and inconvenience - and ideally, there would have been the knock on effect of a jump in sales (which strangely in the Stones case, didn't really happen).

The Stones simply cant or wont perform unless its within the confines of a tour. Had they been in the middle of a European tour this summer, I've no doubt they would have said yes to an appearance at the Olympics.

Gazza answered perfectly. And like Justin mentioned above, the band has nothing to promote at the moment. So the timing was not right for Stones.

I just add some more points.

I suppose the Super Bowl experience was not so satisfactory for them. It might felt being honored to do but it didn't translate in sales, like Gazza mentioned (and we have to remeber that not even Live Aid didn't help boost Jagger's solo career either). So even if they've been touring Europe at the moment, they might not have been so keen on doing it for promotional reasons. For some reason, The Stones don't seem to gather much news fans with their cameo performances. My hint is Jagger has learned this from experience.

Secondly, the timing was really bad for The Stones at the moment. They haven't performed for 5 years, so choosing this kind of event for a 'small' appearance would have looked almost a reunion for specific reason, and side them next to The Spice Girls in this sense. This woulkd also kill the thrill of coming out big time in more controlled context of their own. PR-wise it could have been nice for the Olympic Games, but not for their own plans. As the time goes by, more ancipated the first concert/s will be. And most likely there will be not many of them. I guess every gig from now on will be an event of its own.

Thirdly, and most naturally, when the band is not on tour, and not have really rehearsed much, they simply cannot do that. This band needs reherasals and gigs in order to warm up. And playing in an event like that, you need to be "stage-ready", as Jagger commented. For that reason I never thought that a Stones performance would be realistic (but Jagger could have done it by his own).

- Doxa

Date: August 14, 2012 00:50

tomcat2006
The closing ceremony was actually pretty exciting for those (like me) lucky enough to be inside.

Couldn't see the Stones agreeing to just a 10m slot like The Who did but you can see from this clip in the stadium that it was a decent finale....

You can't see the band from my vantage point last night but the noise and fireworks display was truly awesome.

GREAT for you for going tomcat, that is awesome, and yes those fire works looked awesome on TV, so it must have been spectacular being there in person. Any stories you would like to tell, I would love to hear, did you go to any events.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 14, 2012 01:12

Beast
David Bowie among UK stars who turned down Olympic closing show
London 2012 finale used video montage of Bowie classics, and prerecorded slots for other absentees Kate Bush and the Sex Pistols

David Bowie turned down the offer to sign off Sunday night's closing ceremony with a performance of Heroes, one of several high-profile acts who passed up the chance to perform in front of a global TV audience of hundreds of millions at the finale of London 2012.

Organisers of the £15m show had also hoped to persuade the Rolling Stones, Kate Bush and the Sex Pistols to appear in what was intended to be a history of British music.

Even the Who, who did close the Games with a medley ending with My Generation, turned down the request to play twice, according to industry sources. But a decision by the Quadrophenia band to announce a US tour in July swayed them, given the scale of the promotional opportunity.

The three-hour show featuring Elbow, Take That and another Spice Girls reunion was watched by an average of 23.2m viewers, making it marginally more popular than the £27m opening ceremony two weeks earlier. Viewing peaked at 26.3m on the night, although the event, which garnered a more mixed reception than Danny Boyle's show, would have been helped by its Sunday night slot, with people are more likely to be at home.

As for Bowie, the 65-year-old has not toured since 2006, and it was always an ambitious request to try to persuade him to participate, even if Heroes was used an unofficial anthem for Team GB during the Games. Although he closely monitors his own press coverage, Bowie, now based in New York, repeatedly turns down requests to perform or appear in public.

Fans of the singer had to make do with a segment in the middle of the "Symphony for British Music" in which Fashion was played against a catwalk sequence featuring Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell – one of several recorded sections which suggested that hoped-for performers would not appear.

Six months ago, artist managers and other music industry executives were given a presentation by concert producer Kim Gavin and film composer David Arnold of ambitious plans to showcase the history of British pop music from the 1960s. At that stage there were few confirmed participants other than an agreement to play John Lennon's Imagine, which formed a centrepiece of the programme.

Kate Bush was among those Gavin and Arnold hoped would appear, and there were rumours in the industry that she had agreed to perform. However, Bush too is reluctant to appear in public. Organisers agreed to play a remix of Running Up That Hill, and the singer released a statement on her website on Monday praising a "brilliant show".

Backstage on the night, there was surprise that George Michael was allowed to play his new single, White Light, which was released on Monday , in addition to solo classic Freedom. Island Records, his record company, hastily deleted a tweet inviting viewers to buy the song and the single did not make the top 10 on iTunes on Monday.

One manager keen to support the event was Simon Fuller, the impresario behind the Spice Girls, David Beckham and Andy Murray. Some of the Spice Girls were particularly reluctant to perform at an event that despite all its apparent expense was still felt to be staged at minimal cost, but Fuller persuaded them, helpfully keeping the quintet in the public eye a few months ahead of the opening of the musical Viva Forever, which is based on their songs.

Fuller, who was in the Royal Box on Sunday night, also saw another of his acts, singer Annie Lennox, perform Little Bird. But there was little sign of his rival svengali, Simon Cowell, with only one X Factor act, One Direction, performing at the event.

HMV said it expected sales of music by John Lennon, the Spice Girls and Elbow – who performed One Day Like This – to soar by up to seven-fold this week. A compilation of the night's music, A Symphony for British Music, went to number two on the iTunes album chart, behind Now That's What I Call Music! 82.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Thanks Beast for posting the article. What I don't get is if Gavin thought the Stones were important enough to ask to perform, then why did he not include some of their music? It doesn't make sense.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 14, 2012 01:14

Max'sKansasCity
tomcat2006

GREAT for you for going tomcat, that is awesome, and yes those fire works looked awesome on TV, so it must have been spectacular being there in person. Any stories you would like to tell, I would love to hear, did you go to any events.

Yeah, the fireworks look impressive, but a bit annoying to hear over the music, like someone farting during a poetry reading.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 14, 2012 01:54

mtaylor
What will be the next rumor?

Is their any big event in the near future where they could play?

The Democratic National Convention?

Date: August 14, 2012 01:57

I read that The Rolling Stones will play The Democratic National Convention

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 01:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 14, 2012 02:09

tomcat2006

Couldn't see the Stones agreeing to just a 10m slot

They played a 12-minute set at the 2006 Super Bowl. If they had been in the middle of a tour, they probably would have done it.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 14, 2012 02:20

Max'sKansasCity

yah i read it on the internets too... new song... my sour neolib... or something.

Date: August 14, 2012 02:23

Green Lady
Max'sKansasCity

Charlie to Horse: "Why the long face?"

"Don't worry - the Olympics are over now. You won't have to do dressage."

Q.
What kind of Fellers do dressage?

A.

Date: August 14, 2012 02:28

Natlanta
Max'sKansasCity

yah i read it on the internets too... new song... my sour neolib... or something.
yeah yeah, I read that too.. and the song (it is a country twanger) is
dedicated to the candidates and is called... "We promise, we arent telling lies this time"

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 14, 2012 02:37

Doxa
Gazza
oldschool

Gazza answered perfectly. And like Justin mentioned above, the band has nothing to promote at the moment. So the timing was not right for Stones.

I just add some more points.

I suppose the Super Bowl experience was not so satisfactory for them. It might felt being honored to do but it didn't translate in sales, like Gazza mentioned (and we have to remeber that not even Live Aid didn't help boost Jagger's solo career either). So even if they've been touring Europe at the moment, they might not have been so keen on doing it for promotional reasons. For some reason, The Stones don't seem to gather much news fans with their cameo performances. My hint is Jagger has learned this from experience.

Secondly, the timing was really bad for The Stones at the moment. They haven't performed for 5 years, so choosing this kind of event for a 'small' appearance would have looked almost a reunion for specific reason, and side them next to The Spice Girls in this sense. This woulkd also kill the thrill of coming out big time in more controlled context of their own. PR-wise it could have been nice for the Olympic Games, but not for their own plans. As the time goes by, more ancipated the first concert/s will be. And most likely there will be not many of them. I guess every gig from now on will be an event of its own.

Thirdly, and most naturally, when the band is not on tour, and not have really rehearsed much, they simply cannot do that. This band needs reherasals and gigs in order to warm up. And playing in an event like that, you need to be "stage-ready", as Jagger commented. For that reason I never thought that a Stones performance would be realistic (but Jagger could have done it by his own).

- Doxa

So the Stones had nothing to gain or win, but did they have something to lose?

In the end, it all boils down to the bitter reality that a band that is not able to perform a handful of tunes with only a couple of days of rehearsals can hardly be called a "band" anymore.

And that is hardly breaking news, innit?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 03:03

Stage-ready had nothing to do with it. The Stones were not about to mime. They played live at the Super Bowl, unlike the Who, Tom Petty or even Bruce Springsteen, who all performed over backing tracks. This was a major reason the Stones got such mixed reviews for their Super Bowl appearance, the sound and performance were not production perfect. They would have been ridiculous at the closing event.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 14, 2012 03:09

NME August 13, 2012

David Bowie, Sex Pistols, the Rolling Stones, Kate Bush 
turned down Olympics closing ceremony
A host of UK talent declined an invite to take part in last night's London 2012 finale

Bowie, Sex Pistols, The Rolling Stones and Kate Bush all turned down the chance to
appear in yesterday's Olympic Games closing ceremony, according to reports.

According to The Guardian, all of the above artists were approached, but declined 
the invite to take part from the ceremony's producer Kim Gavin. 

The piece also states that The Who – who did appear last night (August 12)– turned
down Gavin twice before finally agreeing to play the event in Stratford, East 
London. 

The three hour show – which featured The Spice Girls, Elbow, Kaiser Chiefs, Liam 
Gallagher, Jessie J, Queen, Annie Lennox, George Michael and Take That – received 
mixed reviews. The Guardian also reports that some of The Spice Girls were 
reluctant to appear. 

Yesterday, Carl Barat revealed that The Libertines turned down the chance to 
perform at the Olympics closing ceremony too. The singer took to Twitter as the 
ceremony was taking place to say that he and his former bandmates had been asked 
to play, but "couldn't do it".

Kate Bush couldn't be convinced to appear, but praised the organisers of the 
closing ceremony, after a remix of 'Running Up That Hill' was used in the London 
2012 finale.

Date: August 14, 2012 03:19

schillid
NME August 13, 2012

David Bowie, Sex Pistols, the Rolling Stones, Kate Bush 
turned down Olympics closing ceremony
A host of UK talent declined an invite to take part in last night's London 2012 finale

Bowie, Sex Pistols, The Rolling Stones and Kate Bush all turned down the chance to
appear in yesterday's Olympic Games closing ceremony, according to reports.

According to The Guardian, all of the above artists were approached, but declined 
the invite to take part from the ceremony's producer Kim Gavin. 

The piece also states that The Who – who did appear last night (August 12)– turned
down Gavin twice before finally agreeing to play the event in Stratford, East 
London. 

The three hour show – which featured The Spice Girls, Elbow, Kaiser Chiefs, Liam 
Gallagher, Jessie J, Queen, Annie Lennox, George Michael and Take That – received 
mixed reviews. The Guardian also reports that some of The Spice Girls were 
reluctant to appear. 

Yesterday, Carl Barat revealed that The Libertines turned down the chance to 
perform at the Olympics closing ceremony too. The singer took to Twitter as the 
ceremony was taking place to say that he and his former bandmates had been asked 
to play, but "couldn't do it".

Kate Bush couldn't be convinced to appear, but praised the organisers of the 
closing ceremony, after a remix of 'Running Up That Hill' was used in the London 
2012 finale.

I am still mildly curious... and ask again... I wonder why they gave Bowie such a nice segment, but did not give The Rolling Stones so much as a whisper.

I am only mildly curious at this point, it is not a big deal.

PS
I will add... I have not been much a WHO fan, for years. The Who imuho are simply not the same band with the rhythm section gone... BUT.. I must say that (again imuho) their stock went way up by knocking a couple of songs out of the stadium last night.

It was good on The Who's part to participate live in this great celebration of London and the Olympics, and I am betting that if they can slighly thaw my cold opinion of them, then they must have had a very positive impression on others... which the Stones did not do... Obviously. It is the Stones loss, the Olympics did fine (for what it was) without them.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 03:39 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 14, 2012 03:37

The Stones' music was featured in the opening ceremony. What did you guys expect in the closing ceremony, a 20 minute tribute to The Stones while the audience weeped and jumped for joy and made out with each other and bowed down to the great and almighty Rolling Stones? They were asked to perform but they declined and so the olympic organizers moved on to something else. There was no tribute to Zeppelin or Elton John or Edward Elgar or plenty of other British acts either.... There was no snub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 03:38 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: August 14, 2012 03:40

I mildly wonder why they gave Bowie such a nice segment

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 03:42 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 14, 2012 03:45

Max'sKansasCity

I am still mildly curious... and ask again... I wonder why they gave Bowie such a nice segment, but did not give The Rolling Stones so much as a whisper.

Bowie is and has been every bit as big in the UK as the Stones. He's probably the most important and iconic British act since the 60s.

Watching bits of it again, its sort of dawning on me a bit more that a lot of us are missing the 'context' a bit. Naturally, if you were including great and iconic British acts, the Stones would be in the top tier of music to be represented - but if you're showcasing 'Britishness' in music - maybe less so. The Stones' music isn't really typically British in the way that The Beatles, Bowie, The Who or The Kinks would be.

'Waterloo Sunset' was the absolute perfect choice for an occasion like this. Its probably THE definitive London pop song. The Stones don't really have a song that could be pigeonholed into that category ('Street Fighting Man' maybe - at an absolute push....but its not anywhere near their most iconic song). Neither do Led Zeppelin for that matter.

Date: August 14, 2012 03:47

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

Bowie is and has been every bit as big in the UK as the Stones. He's probably the most important and iconic British act since the 60s.

Watching bits of it again, its sort of dawning on me a bit more that a lot of us are missing the 'context' a bit. Naturally, if you were including great and iconic British acts, the Stones would be in the top tier of music to be represented - but if you're showcasing 'Britishness' in music - maybe less so. The Stones' music isn't really typically British in the way that The Beatles, Bowie, The Who or The Kinks would be.

'Waterloo Sunset' was the absolute perfect choice for an occasion like this. Its probably THE definitive London pop song. The Stones don't really have a song that could be pigeonholed into that category ('Street Fighting Man' maybe - at an absolute push....but its not anywhere near their most iconic song). Neither do Led Zeppelin for that matter.

Thank You for a great explaination.

Date: August 14, 2012 03:54

No matter what happens from here on out... know what I'll always have??

A TON OF AWESOME STONES SONGS... AT EASY ACCESS!!!

e.g. TURN IT UP TO 11... GO GO!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 03:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 13 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home