Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15
Re: Stones rumored to play Olympics Closing Ceremony
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 14, 2012 04:07

Gazza

'Waterloo Sunset' was the absolute perfect choice for an occasion like this. Its probably THE definitive London pop song.

thumbs up

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 14, 2012 04:26

Max'sKansasCity
No matter what happens from here on out... know what I'll always have??

A TON OF AWESOME STONES SONGS
... AT EASY ACCESS!!!

e.g. TURN IT UP TO 11... GO GO!!

And no one can take that away from you...plus the fact that there will still be ample time for another tour speculation thread or two...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 04:27 by stonesnow.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 14, 2012 04:34

stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity

... AT EASY ACCESS!!!

And no one can take that away from you...plus the fact that there will still be ample time for another tour speculation thread or two...
..or 4... or 24... or 40 grinning smiley

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 14, 2012 06:32

Max'sKansasCity
stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity

... AT EASY ACCESS!!!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 14, 2012 06:36

memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity

... AT EASY ACCESS!!!

smileys with beer
Cheers mc!! smileys with beer

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 14, 2012 06:44

Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity

... AT EASY ACCESS!!!

smileys with beer
Cheers mc!! smileys with beer
Right back at you! Hope your summer is going well. smoking smiley

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:20

Munichhilton
Check this out for an idea, Lennon hologram....Tupac style
They could do it. They have the money...

they pretty much did have a lennon hologram!

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:42

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

I am still mildly curious... and ask again... I wonder why they gave Bowie such a nice segment, but did not give The Rolling Stones so much as a whisper.

I am only mildly curious at this point, it is not a big deal.

Bowie is and has been every bit as big in the UK as the Stones. He's probably the most important and iconic British act since the 60s.

Watching bits of it again, its sort of dawning on me a bit more that a lot of us are missing the 'context' a bit. Naturally, if you were including great and iconic British acts, the Stones would be in the top tier of music to be represented - but if you're showcasing 'Britishness' in music - maybe less so. The Stones' music isn't really typically British in the way that The Beatles, Bowie, The Who or The Kinks would be.

'Waterloo Sunset' was the absolute perfect choice for an occasion like this. Its probably THE definitive London pop song. The Stones don't really have a song that could be pigeonholed into that category ('Street Fighting Man' maybe - at an absolute push....but its not anywhere near their most iconic song). Neither do Led Zeppelin for that matter.

The Rolling Stones do not have an iconic song for the Olympics ? eye popping smiley Part me.
The one and only real song would be Start me Up. That is very clear.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:50

A manic version of Jumpin Jack Flash would have been great.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 14, 2012 10:19

From yesterday's Guardian. Apologies if already posted.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

"Organisers of the £15m show had also hoped to persuade the Rolling Stones, Kate Bush and the Sex Pistols to appear in what was intended to be a history of British music. Even the Who, who did close the Games with a medley ending with My Generation, turned down the request to play twice, according to industry sources. But a decision by the band to announce a US tour in July swayed them, given the scale of the promotional opportunity."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 14, 2012 10:48

Grison
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

I am still mildly curious... and ask again... I wonder why they gave Bowie such a nice segment, but did not give The Rolling Stones so much as a whisper.

Bowie is and has been every bit as big in the UK as the Stones. He's probably the most important and iconic British act since the 60s.

Watching bits of it again, its sort of dawning on me a bit more that a lot of us are missing the 'context' a bit. Naturally, if you were including great and iconic British acts, the Stones would be in the top tier of music to be represented - but if you're showcasing 'Britishness' in music - maybe less so. The Stones' music isn't really typically British in the way that The Beatles, Bowie, The Who or The Kinks would be.

'Waterloo Sunset' was the absolute perfect choice for an occasion like this. Its probably THE definitive London pop song. The Stones don't really have a song that could be pigeonholed into that category ('Street Fighting Man' maybe - at an absolute push....but its not anywhere near their most iconic song). Neither do Led Zeppelin for that matter.

The Rolling Stones do not have an iconic song for the Olympics ? eye popping smiley Part me.

Yeah, "Start Me Up" is a sports event anthem (even too much), but that's not what Gazza, and supposedly, the organizers were looking for. The purpose was to present Ehglishness in music, and a song like "Waterloo Sunset", with its London thematic, is especially that. I think Gazza's post very well explains the context of the occasion. The point was not to offer most obvious, very well-known internationall acts or songs, but those who has that British flavor. Maybe the "sex, drugs & rock and roll" is not typically British...grinning smiley

They did ask The Stones to perform, but I think they would have been a nice extra (that's why they were not part of the 'story' they presented, like, say, Bowie was), like: now after going through all the British history of modern entertainemnt, we still have the most legendary rock and roll band of the world to offer you... We might have had "Start Me Up" then...

But I need to say that seeing The Sex Pistols doing "Anarchy In The Uk" and "God save the Queen", followed by The Stones with "Street Fighting Man" and "Hang Fire" would have been nice...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 10:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:00

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

Agreed, Gazza. Another take on it might be that the 60s were well represented by the Who, Ray Davies and Beatles while Bowie, Queen & Kate Bush represented the 70s.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:34

Grison
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

..and its connection with London and the UK is what, exactly?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:39

Gazza
Grison
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

The Atlantic Ocean, which bridges the UK and New York, where Start Me Up was recorded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 11:41 by stonesnow.

Date: August 14, 2012 11:39

rebelrebel
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

Agreed, Gazza. Another take on it might be that the 60s were well represented by the Who, Ray Davies and Beatles while Bowie, Queen & Kate Bush represented the 70s.

I think that was the point. Like I said earlier, its ludicrous to expect the show to revolve around one genre and one decade. And the Stones had the ultimate opportunity to add themselves to the 60's icon element of the show but declined the chance - so why should people then expect the show to be rewritten to include them as part of a carefully choreographed production number?

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:43

Perhaps they could have opened the British symphony with On with the Show?

Date: August 14, 2012 11:57

I was waiting for Play With Fire, just when they put out the olympic flame.

It's a song about London, too winking smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 14, 2012 12:55

Ronnie Wood says the Rolling Stones were 'never' going to appear at the Olympics
The absence of the Rolling Stones at the Olympic closing ceremony has prompted much comment, but band member Ronnie Wood says it was 'never' on the cards

The Rolling Stones were conspicuous by their absence during the Olympic closing ceremony’s celebration of British rock and pop music. Officially, the explanation was that the band was out of practice.
Ronnie Wood, the colourful 65-year-old guitarist with the phenomenally successful group, appeared to be singing to a different tune when I spoke to him yesterday. “It was never going to happen,” he told me. “Believe me, it was never even on the cards.”
There had been speculation that Wood, together with fellow band members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts, had decided that not enough other big names had been assembled to make it an attractive proposition for them. There was, for instance, a David Bowie montage, but no Bowie in person. Elton John, too, did not perform, even though he had recorded one of the official anthems for the Games.
One leading figure in the pop music world told me: “There was a sense in some quarters that if this was not going to be done properly, with all the people who should be there turning out, then it wasn’t worth doing at all.”
Wood, however, declined to comment further. Kim Gavin, who directed the ceremony, described it as an “elegant mashup” of music and creativity, and, while there were undoubtedly some big names performing – notably The Who and Ray Davies – others, such as Ed Sheeran, scarcely had the same lustre.
The running order for the performers appeared to be left very much to the last minute. One well-known West End figure called to tell me he had heard definitively towards the end of last week that Ray Davies would bring the proceedings to a close with a rendition of Waterloo Sunset.
The 68-year-old lead singer with The Kinks did get to sing it, but only to bring the first section of the show to a close, well before the end.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 14, 2012 13:12

Gazza
Grison
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

Come on, what Bowie's Fashion has to do with London and the UK?
I'm not English, but on my opinion, Jumping Jack Flash is as quintessential British as one can get. And YCAHWYW perfectly suites to the spirit of the Olympics and all the people who did not win a medal - and it's great for sing along.
I think that not a single Stones song was included is response for their refusal to perform.
But I'm glad they didn't perform in flesh, this closing ceremony was too Schmalzy fot my taste

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 14, 2012 13:44

proudmary
Gazza
Grison
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

I'm not English, but on my opinion, Jumping Jack Flash is as quintessential British as one can get. And YCAHWYW perfectly suites to the spirit of the Olympics and all the people who did not win a medal - and it's great for sing along.
I think that not a single Stones song was included is response for their refusal to perform.
But I'm glad they didn't perform in flesh,this closing ceremony was too Schmalzy fot my taste

Likewise but I think a mashup of Start me up, Gimme Shelter and JJ Flash with those 200 ballet dancers going at it might have been pretty spectacular.............

Date: August 14, 2012 13:54

proudmary
Gazza
Grison
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

But I'm glad they didn't perform in flesh, this closing ceremony was too Schmalzy fot my taste

Probably not, since they played the Stones at the opening ceremony.

Remember, Bowie refused to play as well.

Date: August 14, 2012 14:21

Bowie has retired - the Stones, apparently anyway, haven't.

Bowie wasnt included at the Stones' expense - as he 'represents' a different decade.

Its as meaningless as complaining that the Spice Girls were represented and the Stones weren't.

Date: August 14, 2012 14:23

stonesnow
Gazza
Grison
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

The Atlantic Ocean, which bridges the UK and New York, where Start Me Up was recorded.

When did New York become part of France?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 14, 2012 14:27

I should have refused too........
This was just a crappy poppy show, a live videoclip with no live music sensation at all.......... very nice for TV, but very bad to R&R

I would'nt have shared stage with those "artists"

Anyway i'm not a rock star..............

The best thing was Brian May's hair................gorgeous

Date: August 14, 2012 14:28

Gazza

Bowie wasnt included at the Stones' expense - as he 'represents' a different decade.

Its as meaningless as complaining that the Spice Girls were represented and the Stones weren't.

Spice Girls have retired, too smiling smiley

I was just using Bowie as an example of not being "boycotted" from the ceremony, for refusing to perform, as someone thought might be the reason for no Stones music on the closing ceremony.

The played the Stones on the opening ceremony, that should be enough, imo.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 14, 2012 14:40

proudmary
And YCAHWYW perfectly suites to the spirit of the Olympics

You Can't Always Hear What You Want ? smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 14, 2012 14:43

JJF is representative of Englishness? I've never gotten that. YCAGWYW could represent the losers ie no medal atheletes? Yes, that's very inspiring: hey loser, you can't always get what you want - and you tried and didn't even get what you needed because it's obvious you didn't try hard enough. Yes, that's such a perfect thing to put out there.

And why would anyone in their right mind want to play/hear Start Me Up at the end of such a thing? That's beyond ridiculous.

Date: August 14, 2012 14:50

DandelionPowderman
Gazza

Spice Girls have retired, too smiling smiley

I was just using Bowie as an example of not being "boycotted" from the ceremony, for refusing to perform, as someone thought might be the reason for no Stones music on the closing ceremony.

The played the Stones on the opening ceremony, that should be enough, imo.

I dont think they were 'boycotted' at all. There was a limited amount of representation from each era and the producers - whose hand was somewhat limited by the Stones refusal to accept the invitation to perform - chose to showcase quintessentially English music from that era - the Beatles, the Kinks and The Who. The fact that Ray Davies and The Who both agreed to perform suggests that that decade was adequately represented in terms of the time allocated to it (it also helped showcase the 'Mod' era). There had to be a balance between the various eras and you can only have so many 'old' acts. The event isnt and shouldnt be aimed solely or primarily at one particular age group or musical genre.

Agree with your last point. Its all irrelevant anyway. The Stones' legacy doesnt get greater or become smaller because of whether or not their music gets played as part of a glorified theatre production at a sporting event. Some of the outrage over this is way out of proportion to put it mildly.

(PS - the musical highpoint of the entire games for me was the GB team coming into the stadium at the opening ceremony to the strains of Bowie's "Heroes". )

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 14:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2012 14:58

I think it's bad not accepting an honour which performing at the London Olympics is. Even worse turning it down if you are (or were) a Londoner yourself. It doesn't look good. And in Sir Michael's case: You shouldn't accept a social mark of honour if you plan on giving nothing back to the society. There are a few excuses which could be acceptable: not being stageready is not one of those.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 14, 2012 15:20

They really missed a trick when they didn't ask Keith to come to the opening ceremony and sing Before They Make Me Run and You Got The Silver.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2076
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home