Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15
Re: Stones rumored to play Olympics Closing Ceremony
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 13, 2012 06:50

James Kirk
Did NBC play The Who's segment? I didn't see it

No I dont think they did... and I also dont think they showed Ray Davies, Muse or Prince Hank's introduction.... maybe they will show it later tonight.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 13, 2012 07:03

The who is on now 12:02a.m. NYC/Eastern U.S. time.

Date: August 13, 2012 07:08

Geeez the size of the ego of some idiot at NBC deciding to hack up the closing ceremony.... what the hell?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 13, 2012 07:36

So ............... it was true after all then !! The Rolling Stones did not make an appearance at the Olympics closing ceremony, and a large purple coloured pig was seen happily flying over east London !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: August 13, 2012 08:37

Closest we got was Georgia on stage as a model, and was that Ronnue's ex Ana later on?

Totally lane show, I'd be embarrassed if I was behind this- no wonder Mick said no. Good job.

Date: August 13, 2012 08:51

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 13, 2012 09:00

No Expectations
Never gave this rumor any creedence from the start.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 22:24 by stonesnow.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 13, 2012 09:42

I think someone decided to teach The Stones AND Led Zeppelin a lesson.

Maybe something was said that the third-reich organisers didn't like.

How George Michael got away with plugging his latest record is bizarre though.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 13, 2012 09:59

barbequebob
well consider this, the Stones may have been born in Britain, but I think of them as the ultimate American Roots Rock Band. Their music and sound (blues, soul, gospel, old time R&B and R&R) is really American.

Their music has not really had that strong link to their "Britishness", nowhere near the way the Who have had through so many of their works. The Who have long played up their Britishness, but the Stones have not not.

Err... yeah, whatever. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 13, 2012 09:59

Thanks God they did'nt play..............terrible POP show with no live sound

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 13, 2012 10:11

Max'sKansasCity

Charlie to Horse: "Why the long face?"

"Don't worry - the Olympics are over now. You won't have to do dressage."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 13, 2012 10:19

Was a bit surprised that there was NO Stones reference whatsoever. confused smiley

On the other hand, I was quite pleased that The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, and The Kinks were shown due respect.
Also liked Madness and Eric Idol.

Date: August 13, 2012 10:57

Always look on the bright side of life...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 13, 2012 11:11

Ah well, maybe they show up for the closer in Rio? winking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 13, 2012 11:17

Cool pictures beast. Must have been great, looking at the fireworks from your window.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 13, 2012 11:43

Rolling Hansie
What a spectactular show. Wonderful

Glad someone else here shares my view of it. Seems so many were too busy deluding themselves that the Stones would be up next to enjoy it for what it was. I Am The Walrus followed by Fatboy Slim was epic. As for the Spice Girls they were massive all over the world and their one off reunion was a real buzz for millions, whatever Stones fans think of it. Both Queen and the Who were superb too. It wasn't a rock concert, it was the Olympics closing ceremony and was always going to have more variety. I personally felt that everyone involved represented what they do very well - the overall feeling was a suitably "happy and glorious" end to an amazing games.

As for the Stones no show, I hope it will underline once and for all that they're over. There will be no tour, no one show, only stuff from the vaults when they were still a brilliant and functioning band.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: August 13, 2012 11:46

I'm sure Mick really wanted to do that... he loves those global massive performances, appearances with U2, the Grammy... in a way the White House, sure the Olympics must have been quite appealing to him. Obviously the "not stage-ready" is a joke (unless someone tells me the Who, the Spice Girls, Ray Davies, Brian May have been rehearsing for years before yesterday night). The real reason must have been his lack of faith in the Stones' abilities today, and too big a risk for a live event broadcast to billions of people. But having had McCartney, the Who, a bit of Pink Floyd, a bit of Kinks, a bit of Jimmy Page (that was in Beijing for the handover), being the only absent of this British music history medley, must be a bit annoying to Jagger.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 13, 2012 11:48

beepee2
I'm sure Mick really wanted to do that... he loves those global massive performances, appearances with U2, the Grammy... in a way the White House, sure the Olympics must have been quite appealing to him. Obviously the "not stage-ready" is a joke (unless someone tells me the Who, the Spice Girls, Ray Davies, Brian May have been rehearsing for years before yesterday night). The real reason must have been his lack of faith in the Stones' abilities today, and too big a risk for a live event broadcast to billions of people. But having had McCartney, the Who, a bit of Pink Floyd, a bit of Kinks, a bit of Jimmy Page (that was in Beijing for the handover), being the only absent of this British music history medley, must be a bit annoying to Jagger.

thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 13, 2012 13:47

Well, I don't know WHAT my friend saw in the ad for the closing ceremonies.....BUT, I didn't think the Stones would play ..I thought there might be a big jam at the end and Mick might join in that..but NO!! And WHY did the organizers think it was OK to put the WHO on one hour AFTER the show officially ended!! I went to bed...disgusted, like everyone else about no STONES references at all.

Date: August 13, 2012 13:54

mickschix
Well, I don't know WHAT my friend saw in the ad for the closing ceremonies.....BUT, I didn't think the Stones would play ..I thought there might be a big jam at the end and Mick might join in that..but NO!! And WHY did the organizers think it was OK to put the WHO on one hour AFTER the show officially ended!! I went to bed...disgusted, like everyone else about no STONES references at all.

Er, The Who came on seconds after the flame was put out - and the ending was fantastic, imo.

Probably, this was due to a delay in the US broadcast?

Daltrey obviously got his pipes working again. Great performance!

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: August 13, 2012 13:55

As I didn't see the opening ceremony which had enthusiastically press I thought I might take the chance to see at least last night. Despite the huge organization and all the phenomenal happenings in the center and on the end stage it felt a bit lame and sometimes uncoordinated. Single entertainers seemed lost on the huge middle stage thing.
I was surprised how many clipy and shorttakes were played like David Bowie and others. Still to cover English rock and pop history it would have been a must to present songs or fraction of songs from Led Zeppelin and the Stones. And for the longevity of a band it is a big fauxpas to leave their music out as much as I understand that they may not have wanted to perform.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 13, 2012 14:05

DandelionPowderman
mickschix

Er, The Who came on seconds after the flame was put out - and the ending was fantastic, imo.

Really? I thought it was rather tepid, not terrible but not great either.

Date: August 13, 2012 14:08

Ket
DandelionPowderman
mickschix

Really? I thought it was rather tepid, not terrible but not great either.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Medleys like that can easily become a bit cheesy.

However, I think Daltrey and Townshend put on a good show, especially Baba O'Reilly and My Generation worked well, imo.

Date: August 13, 2012 14:08

oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 14:09 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 13, 2012 14:16

Is this true? eye popping smiley eye rolling smiley moody smiley

Olympics Organizers Ask Keith Moon to Play Closing Ceremony
The Who drummer has been dead since 1978

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Date: August 13, 2012 14:23

open-g
Is this true? eye popping smiley eye rolling smiley moody smiley

Olympics Organizers Ask Keith Moon to Play Closing Ceremony
The Who drummer has been dead since 1978

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Why not? Freddy Mercury obviously accepted the gig winking smiley

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 13, 2012 14:24

Just wondering if the Stones' absence will be noted in the press as a big deal. They completely disappear between tours and I'm wondering if, beyond fan circles, anyone remembers that they're still, vaguely, active?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 13, 2012 14:55

The coolest thing the Stones have done performancewise for years was not showing up in this closing ceremony...

- Doxa

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 13, 2012 14:56

northernale1
Gazza
Hilarious. Even right up to the last second, people actually thought the Stones might play.

But

did you expect to not hear a stones song?

on what is to be a "symphony of british music"

I would have (I havent seen the ceremony yet as I was out last night) but to be honest I wouldnt get riled up about it as some appear to have done.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 13, 2012 15:34

I'm not "disgusted". The Stones do seem to have been asked (fair enough) and to have turned it down - and given that they didn't want to do it live, I don't see why the organisers should still feel obliged to use their music (anyway, the London Olympics has a limited budget,and licences to use Stones tracks are not cheap! I can't see them doing it for the honour of the thing).

The artists whose music was used in recorded form were mostly those who had a good excuse (like being dead smiling smiley ). If the Stones still want to present themselves as a working band, they can't use the excuse that they are actually unable to perform. And if all the deserving people who weren't included got a look in, we'd still be watching the ceremony right now.

Once and for all, this was not a concert. The music was a very pleasant soundtrack / sideshow to the main business of the evening, and the artists were there to do honour to the Olympics, not the other way round. (Though I'm not sure where that leaves George Michael).

The TV sound at the beginning wasn't very good - I hope the audience in the stadium could hear Madness and Ray Davies better than I could. I have never understood the appeal of the Spice Girls, and Muse leave me cold, but I enjoyed most of last night, though it wasn't up to the standard of the opening ceremony.

Anyway, credit to Mick for not being tempted to do any kind of solo appearance.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1640
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home