Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12
Re: Live in Texas - thoughts and reviews
Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: October 8, 2011 00:35

mrfancyman
I will see the movie within 3 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well actualy I have seen it already.
I tried to place the review this afternoon but there was some probelems with Tell Me. I saved the text and added it now.......... ;-)

The film was GREAT, also in Sneek no interview before the film.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 8, 2011 02:07

This was the best Stones experience I have had, just as simple as that. Loud, mean, raw, rude and crude, right in your face. Jagger was fantastic, and I have never seen him like this. Wyman showed that with two broken fingers you only need two fingers to be the most fantastic bass player ever. Watts was encredible, I can't remember I ever seen him play like this.

This film blew L&G out of the water, just like that.

We where in a cinema with 101 seats, and only 14 occupied. Good thing was that when we asked to turn up the volume we got ear shattering loudness -fantastic!

Mathijs

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 8, 2011 02:17

Is this the same show that had 7 songs in Bootleg circulation or is it an entirely different show...the bootleg one starts off with Jagger screwing up the words to LET IT ROCK.

Pecman

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: October 8, 2011 03:32

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: October 8, 2011 12:49

I thought it was superb. I loved the mix. The rhythm section is INSANE.
They are on fire, they are focused, they actually listen to each other.
It's wild. It's a party band.

Keith is so totally ON in this show, he rules.
But the real stars of the show are Bill and Charlie.

Very nice to hear Stu high up in the mix for some songs.

Anyway: go and see it in a cinema and make sure it's loud.
Very inspiring for any musician!

The interview on the other hand was completely superfluous.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 8, 2011 14:14

Bloody hell, I don't have a chance to see it in movies - just need to wait for the DVD release.

What Mathijs wrote about the watching experience reminded of my first time to "see" the Stones - that was in 1983 watching LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER in movies... For a Woodie era born fan - who really got the idea of the greatness of the Rolling Stones band from that band, and still to this day is the dearest manifestation of the band - I think this 1978 movie is an ultimate experience to have now.

To be clear, with 'A Woodie era' I mean live from 1975 to 1982. 1975/76 wads just a transforming phase, where Woodie tried to cope with Taylor's shoes but in 1978 they found their own unique sound (thanks, partly, to punks for giving the rock scene new vitalness and life). What happened since 1989 is another story, a new era (I have a word for that era but let us not go there now...) It is a matter of taste if Woodie era peaked in 1978 or 1981/82. The HAMPTON '81 is great document of the 1981 tour - but now we have probably even better for 1978 tour to compare.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-08 14:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 8, 2011 14:17

as said,i was in den bosch,holland, oct 4.
it was unbelievable.sold out, maybe 300 people.
i fell in love again with the band and the music.
totlly different from the "present" Stones band.
jezus, great.
bye
jeroen

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 8, 2011 17:35

Mathijs
This was the best Stones experience I have had, just as simple as that. Loud, mean, raw, rude and crude, right in your face. Jagger was fantastic, and I have never seen him like this. Wyman showed that with two broken fingers you only need two fingers to be the most fantastic bass player ever. Watts was encredible, I can't remember I ever seen him play like this.

We where in a cinema with 101 seats, and only 14 occupied. Good thing was that when we asked to turn up the volume we got ear shattering loudness -fantastic!

Mathijs
outstanding, cant wait to see this!

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: October 8, 2011 18:28

A terrific evenings entertainment and exceeded my expectations. I always thought L & G was the iconic Stones concert.

Highlights: When the Whip Comes Down, Shattered (best ever version), Faraway Eyes, Beast of Burden, HTW.

I saw it at my local Odeon Cinema in Blackpool and there were about 12 people watching.

I never understand why the Stones seem to be so unappreciated in the UK, whereas when I visit parts of Europe (Germany, Holland, Spain) and the USA they seem to be still looked upon as the GREATEST R & R band in the World.

We seem to be obsessed by Queen, U2, Boy Bands, X Factor and Pop Idol. confused smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 8, 2011 18:57

stonesrick

I never understand why the Stones seem to be so unappreciated in the UK, confused smiley

That's the question!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 8, 2011 20:22

EddieByword
I was buzzing at the brilliance of it all when I first came out of the cinema and for hours after....however on reflection there was one blot on the sun. Mick jagger's descision to wear a swastika t-shirt. I posted in a different thread about 10 days ago (The 'best' When the whip comes down thread) that I thought that Mick was a bit affected in '78. The onset of punk resulting in a mid-life crisis with him over reacting - extra nasty in interviews & on stage etc - which made him come across to me at least as a bit silly. I know Brian at least wore a swastika in the sixties for a photo shoot but to me that was in a different context......for Mick to wear one ala Sid Vicious, well it was a bit disappointing to see him at 35 slavishly following the fashion of a 19 year old to prove he's(was) where it's at and in the flow.
To give the benefit of the doubt though I've put it down to a faux pas due to mid-life crisis rather than a willingness to do anything for a buck......................
mannn......that t shirt....dont worry about it...its a famous(among punks) anti facist shirt
to tell the truth....its the swastika and the word'' destroy'' through it.....its a antifa shirt mon....cheers

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 8, 2011 20:53

It's coming to Nashville in 10 days. I can hardly wait. My ex girlfriend is going with me. When we were together we say SAL and L&G together, so I figured why break tradition?

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: October 8, 2011 20:57

theimposter
It's coming to Nashville in 10 days. I can hardly wait. My ex girlfriend is going with me. When we were together we say SAL and L&G together, so I figured why break tradition?

I am sure you will fall in love again. Have a great time!

Date: October 8, 2011 21:11

mrfancyman
mrfancyman
I will see the movie within 3 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well actualy I have seen it already.
I tried to place the review this afternoon but there was some probelems with Tell Me. I saved the text and added it now.......... ;-)

The film was GREAT, also in Sneek no interview before the film.

Thanks for the review (nu.nl). Ooow man, I can't wait to see it (in my case it will be on DVD). Groeten aan Friesland

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: October 8, 2011 22:24

Manofwealthandtaste
As for the poster, I spoke to the manager who said it had to be returned but gave me the name of the guy to call to see if I could come and collect it. Excelllent, I thought.....until I saw it had been 'removed' from outside the cinema. Is it up on your wall yet, Mr Jimmy?!

I went to see this GREAT file last night.
After that "some girl" at the paydesk told me that they printed the poster for them self and added specific info about time, date and venue.
I asked here if she could send me this file.
She said send an email to office adress of this cinema and maybe my boss will do.
So I did today and a few hours later he maild me a 3,6 Mb JPG file as shown below.

I also made a "clean" copy without the specific info + Stones Tongue corrected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-08 22:35 by mrfancyman.

Date: October 8, 2011 22:25

I love it!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 9, 2011 01:02

Thank you MrFancyman

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: October 9, 2011 21:26

Just saw it today with some friends. Friends who didn't know much about the Stones but they all loved it and so 3 new fans have been added to the list.

Brilliant show, but I've seen enough of Mick's crotch to last me a lifetime. That does not look like a tiny todger by any man's standard. And we saw him grab a fistful of Ronnie's too. I assured my friends that Mick was not a gay Nazi.

Ronnie... hmm, my friend agrees that Mick Taylor was a much better player, we all know that, and wasn't as spotlight grabbing as Ronnie. Rocking Ronnie was still awesome though. But KEITH! Keith was literally on fire. Ok, not literally, but yeah.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 00:54 by yorkey.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 9, 2011 22:37

Saw it today in Dusseldorf. As I suspected it was even better than Ladies And Gentlemen. Total high energy Rock And Roll. Glad I could see it on the big screen. Hope all the fans will make it to a theater for this one.

Posted by: IlanP ()
Date: October 10, 2011 00:30

I was fortunate enough to catch this film at my local cinema last night (I live in South Africa) and I wrote up a lengthy review for it at my blog.

Please click here, if you want to check out what I thought of it.

Date: October 10, 2011 00:47

IlanP
I was fortunate enough to catch this film at my local cinema last night (I live in South Africa) and I wrote up a lengthy review for it at my blog.

Great review! Thanks a lot.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: October 10, 2011 00:51

Great review Ilan. Very well done. thumbs up

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Date: October 10, 2011 00:53

IlanP

So you saw it last night then? I saw it this afternoon in Sandton. It's a pity, it would have been cool to meet an "IORRian" there.

and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Date: October 10, 2011 00:56

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Yorkey, yeah pity (even though, after lurking for a while, this is actually only my first post here)! How full was the showing you went to? Mine had a grand total of one other person besides me.

Date: October 10, 2011 01:03

How full? You mean how empty. There were about 10 other people this afternoon, but at least it wasn't only 1 other!! Alot of friends of mine were at Coldplay, but were missing out on the last screening of the greatest rock n roll band in the world. ;-)

I asked around if I can have the poster but the manager gave me some lame excuse and told me to come back in a few weeks - but I live in Brooklyn. I came with few friends on the Gautrain which has now left my wallet emptier than I thought possible.

Oh by the way, did Ladies and Gentlemen ever show here? I was looking around if it did but didn't have much hope. I was really surprised when I saw they were showing Live in Texas here.

and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Date: October 10, 2011 01:09

yorkey
How full? You mean how empty. There were about 10 other people this afternoon, but at least it wasn't only 1 other!! Alot of friends of mine were at Coldplay, but were missing out on the last screening of the greatest rock n roll band in the world. ;-)

I asked around if I can have the poster but the manager gave me some lame excuse and told me to come back in a few weeks - but I live in Brooklyn. I came with few friends on the Gautrain which has now left my wallet emptier than I thought possible.

Oh by the way, did Ladies and Gentlemen ever show here? I was looking around if it did but didn't have much hope. I was really surprised when I saw they were showing Live in Texas here.

Heh, yeah, it's just as well it was in surround sound or it would feel even lonelier!

And, nope, Ladies and Gentlemen went straight to DVD. Shine A Light was screened for a week or so, though - don't know if you caught that.

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: October 10, 2011 01:21

Mathijs

Mathijs

Right! As for Jagger, 78 always was much better then 81 and beyond. No doubt about it. Already by 81 had he started the saving-voice-for-next-gig type of singing Las Vegas style.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 11, 2011 01:14

Just saw it in Copenhagen. It was absolutely stunning. The Some Girls-tracks were impressive - especially Miss You and Shattered. Fantastic. And Mick was outstanding. This really is the best of their concerts caught on film.
One really wonders why on earth they haven't released it before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-11 10:12 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: October 11, 2011 02:32

I am glad to read all reviews.... with em to also further analize the fact that the 78 tour is up there with the best Stones Live performances ever... I like Mathijs review off course, him been a 78 Stones fan to the core - really think he is right on the money about Charlie and Bill, you have to agree they never had a better groove than 78, much better than 72... I also think the Stones were at their peak in coolness and energy. Can't wait to buy this....

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 11, 2011 03:44

I just got home from seeing Mick and Ronnie's Viva Las Gaygas show. grinning smiley
It was brilliant. Mick and Ron really dolled it up. Better than Ladies & Gents too I think. This was FUN to watch. Always wanted to see that version of Sweet Lil' Sixteen, not just hearing it. It took some time for things to get up in gear though. When they ripped into When The Whip Comes don there was no looking back. I saw it with the interview in the beginning. The theater had no posters hanging anywhere, but they had a light image above the door of the tongue. Inside the cinema room there as a HUGE tongue on the curtains. Mick looked really strange in the interview. He had this very strange light on him. He looked like he was animated. His teeth were very yellow too. I guess they tried to even out the wrinkles by putting make-up on him and lighting his face up, but he came out as looking like something straight out of Night Of the Living Dead. He talked about the period in time and about New York being a boiler with punk ending and rap, new wave and such starting. The concert was filmed just as Some Girls went to number 1 on the charts, so it's a rough and ready band we get. All I can say is that you really gotta experience this one. The way they're playing is so mean and kick-ass. Of course there's a ton of Jagger in it, but it does no harm here. Check out his eyes when he's singing the SG songs. It's so fresh and new to him.
Go see it if you can. Highly recommended.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home