Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: Live in Texas - thoughts and reviews
Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 22, 2011 20:00

treaclefingers
DragonSky
atip
DragonSky
texas fan
SwayStones
atip
I thought it was really good, but... am I the only one that was bothered by Mick rubbing Ronnie's crotch and making a few other effeminate gestures?

It seems that you're not the only one.
I've read some comments about the same thing .

I understand people's reactions to that,and that's fine, but good grief -- where have these offended been for the last 50 years? Do they see nothing feminine about the way he was in'66 or '69 or '73 or '76? Much of his fame was built on his androgyny during those years, and much of his showmanship, too. I am confused that anyone should suddenly notice it...

Yeah, it's as if some Stones fans have suddenly and magically become Rush Limbaughian. Do they not know how Mick Jagger has been in the past? They're offended? That's just too funny.

Funny? No, what's funny is how a some people overlook things just because it's Mick Jagger or some other celeb. We all know Mick's history, but that doesn't mean I want to see a man, let alone one of my rock heroes, rubbing another man's crotch. Haven't had to see that over the past 30-years of touring. If that's the sort of thing you're into, that's what bands like Frankie Goes To Hollywood are for. And making an association to Rush Limbaugh is a pretty obtuse statement.

Why is Mick Jagger considered a hero to you? I hate to say it but you should've known perhaps. I suppose that means you won't be getting the DVD then.

Good gawd this is like a witch hunt....next thing you'll be saying is that Liberace is gay.

COME ON!

Hadn't thought about it. And if I did, I still don't need to say it since you just did... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 22, 2011 21:10

The Some Girls album has not aged well for me. I enjoyed it when it came out. I saw the Anaheim "shoe" show. It was all fun, but ultimately uninteresting and forgettable. I never feel like revisiting that album. It is well down on my list of the band's best albums or at least the ones I still like to listen to. I'd much rather listen to NOW.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:04

Watched Ladies & Gentlemen last night. I must say I prefer Ladies & Gents to Live in Texas.

Just something about the "rat a tat tat" sound of the faster/up tempo songs on the 78 tour that after a while gets on my nerves.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:18

I agree. The songs are candy. Formulated. How many of things songs go from A to D? Boring. Except for maybe Beast Of Burden, the whole tour and album is forgetable. The Stones were incapable of playing songs like Monkey Man or Moonlight Mile at that time. Musically at an all time low next to 1981.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-23 03:19 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:25

To my ears the NYC/punk rock influence is very evident in the Live in Texas performance and 78 tour........

I agree that Beast of Burden is an exception from the Live in Texas show. Beast of Burden for me was the stand out from Live in Texas.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:51

1cdog
Watched Ladies & Gentlemen last night. I must say I prefer Ladies & Gents to Live in Texas.

Just something about the "rat a tat tat" sound of the faster/up tempo songs on the 78 tour that after a while gets on my nerves.

While I will reserve judgement until I can actually watch TEXAS, I will say that I am hard pressed to imagine it could possibly be better than Ladies and Gentlemen, which is unbelievably good.

If it is half as good I'll be pleased.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 23, 2011 11:49

WTF became of the RS musically? Must I laugh or cry.. Entertaining and making music should be integrated. This is a bogus charter flight, or can't they really do any better? Sloppy playing, amateurish guitars, cliché posing till the bone. If there are some tickets available I'll send my 4 years old niece to the cinema: Nursery school fodder.

Date: October 23, 2011 11:54

I love L&G, and the Taylor-made Stones as much as anything, but I love the 78 Stones just as much. I am perplexed how a Stones hardcore can NOT think this is the tops. It's great rock'n roll. The video for Handsome Girls.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 23, 2011 12:05

More Hot Rocks
I agree. The songs are candy. Formulated. How many of things songs go from A to D? Boring. Except for maybe Beast Of Burden, the whole tour and album is forgetable. The Stones were incapable of playing songs like Monkey Man or Moonlight Mile at that time. Musically at an all time low next to 1981.

Didn´t play neither Monkey Man or Moonlight Mile before that time nor short after....Monkey Man has been played in ´94
and Moonlight Mile in ´99 for the first ( and last ) time live.

It´s pure energy in ´78 and ´81,not saying all shows were great and smoking,of course.
But if you don´t like albums like SG,ER,TY you sure don´t get it.

To me it´s basically Rock´n´Roll at it´s top....and this takes nothing away from which has been their peak era from ´69 - ´73,
in my opinion.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 23, 2011 13:04

L&G's not as good as the Texas '78 concert for me. Not by a long shot. It simply suits The Stones better to play like that type of rock band as opposed to the Taylor Zeppelin Stones.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 23, 2011 13:39

I noticed that Keith has two capos side to side on the neck of his guitar when he plays Jumping Jack Flash during the Texas show. Has he done that before and since? Looks kinda cool actually if not really necessary.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: October 23, 2011 13:55

rollmops
I noticed that Keith has two capos side to side on the neck of his guitar when he plays Jumping Jack Flash during the Texas show. Has he done that before and since? Looks kinda cool actually if not really necessary.
Rock and Roll,
Mops
I always thought he did it just to ensure full pressure; maybe he is playing hard at the end of set, and was slipping out of tune. Those capos back then were elastic bands; probably wore out.
I've done the same thing playing out, after seeing pics of Keith using two capos. But to be honest: I am just doing it to feel a bit like Keef.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 23, 2011 15:25

Amsterdamned

WTF became of the RS musically? Must I laugh or cry.. Entertaining and making music should be integrated. This is a bogus charter flight, or can't they really do any better? Sloppy playing, amateurish guitars, cliché posing till the bone. If there are some tickets available I'll send my 4 years old niece to the cinema: Nursery school fodder.

Translation for those who can't recall the million other comments just like this: Mick Taylor made the Stones what they are. They they never did anything good after he left because he was the only one with musical ability. And, they stole money from him.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 23, 2011 16:14

Keep MT out of it, this footage speaks for itself imo.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 23, 2011 17:03

i like it when bill's guitar smokes cigarettes. anyone know which brand it prefers?

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 23, 2011 17:04

Look -- you never keep MT out of anything -- anyway, my comment was not about Taylor, it was about your posts. But, it was a bit harsh, and I apologize. And by the way, I think Taylor's pretty awesome, too. It's just that I like the pre-MT and the post-MT more than you do. No big deal...enjoy your day.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 23, 2011 17:50

bottom line- I wish Taylor had never left the stones. With that said, Live in Texas is still a wonderful treat. Much better filmed than L&G. Furhermore, we can all dream, but neither Taylor, or Wyman are ever coming back other than a one sopng off type of thing.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: October 23, 2011 18:12

I was blown away! I've seen the bootleg many times but this was stunning and in your face! just as I have always remembered the Stones. I was hooting and hollering in the theater hot smiley (if you saw it in Revere, MA that was me . . .)

They were just so good back then, ahhhh youth!!!!

As for the crotch grabbing comments, well, its interesting that the filmakers left that in (but thats another topic). It doesn't bother me at all; the Stones were young, they were having fun. Ummm, ok this is weird to say, but, if your an American kid, that seems perhaps kinda weird, kinda "gay"; but Europeans and English boys are a little different, not trying to offend anyone, not saying its good or bad or weird or whatever, just saying its a cultural thing. My cousins in Greece are a little different like that; difficult to describe but its just a cultural difference.

I don't think it should be looked at with great scrutiny and, by all means, should not take away from that rocking performance.

I rate the film a 9 out of 10
and I'm more or less a Taylor guy >grinning smiley<

Date: October 23, 2011 18:33

As much as I like L&G and am glad it's out, Live In Texas is better period.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 23, 2011 20:41

NorthShoreBlues2
I was blown away! I've seen the bootleg many times but this was stunning and in your face! just as I have always remembered the Stones. I was hooting and hollering in the theater hot smiley (if you saw it in Revere, MA that was me . . .)

They were just so good back then, ahhhh youth!!!!

As for the crotch grabbing comments, well, its interesting that the filmakers left that in (but thats another topic). It doesn't bother me at all; the Stones were young, they were having fun. Ummm, ok this is weird to say, but, if your an American kid, that seems perhaps kinda weird, kinda "gay"; but Europeans and English boys are a little different, not trying to offend anyone, not saying its good or bad or weird or whatever, just saying its a cultural thing. My cousins in Greece are a little different like that; difficult to describe but its just a cultural difference.

I don't think it should be looked at with great scrutiny and, by all means, should not take away from that rocking performance.

I rate the film a 9 out of 10
and I'm more or less a Taylor guy >grinning smiley<

LOL....grinning smiley.....there's a joke that goes....In Greece how do you seperate the men from the boys ?....A bucket of cold water and if that doesn't work call the police................

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 23, 2011 21:07

Think it's possible that Mick discovered a little homophobia in Ronnie, and decided to use that to really mess with Ronnie's head a bit?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 23, 2011 22:30

Not only possible homophobia in Ronnie but maybe some fans too! Apparently it still works, ha-ha. Still pushing the envelope, good on Mick. And we thought he lost his magic, LOL.

Date: October 24, 2011 00:28

Edith Grove
Think it's possible that Mick discovered a little homophobia in Ronnie, and decided to use that to really mess with Ronnie's head a bit?

Nah. He was still the new boy, the young one. And of course Mick was pushing that on the album as it was. And with the punk thing going on it and all he was saying in the press it seems like he just wanted to cover all the bases...except the freebases of course.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 24, 2011 01:59

How did this thread deteriorate so quickly? I don't dig the crotch grabbing either, but it doesn't mean I hate Jagger or anything like that. I'm just not into that junk.

As a side note, almost every person I talked to at the theater made a comment on Jagger's junk. "I didn't know they made pants out of plastic bags." "I've seen enough of Jagger's sack to last me a lifetime."

Please try to be tolerant of those of us who are "ultra hetero". Just because we are not 'into' Jagger grabbing Ronnie's crotch (or licking him for that matter) doesn't mean we are attacking Mick.

BTW, again, this is the greatest Rolling Stones concert film of all time. I only wish the guitars were louder in the mix and we got more shots of Charlie!!

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:26

Palace Revolution 2000
I love L&G, and the Taylor-made Stones as much as anything, but I love the 78 Stones just as much. I am perplexed how a Stones hardcore can NOT think this is the tops. It's great rock'n roll. The video for Handsome Girls.
looks like vegas stones fans dont like it cause it rocks too hard... streets of love is more their speed lol.

Date: October 24, 2011 02:36

flacnvinyl
How did this thread deteriorate so quickly? I don't dig the crotch grabbing either, but it doesn't mean I hate Jagger or anything like that. I'm just not into that junk.

As a side note, almost every person I talked to at the theater made a comment on Jagger's junk. "I didn't know they made pants out of plastic bags." "I've seen enough of Jagger's sack to last me a lifetime."

Please try to be tolerant of those of us who are "ultra hetero". Just because we are not 'into' Jagger grabbing Ronnie's crotch (or licking him for that matter) doesn't mean we are attacking Mick.

BTW, again, this is the greatest Rolling Stones concert film of all time. I only wish the guitars were louder in the mix and we got more shots of Charlie!!

They've never heard 'Shattered' ?

Shattered, shattered
Love and hope and sex and dreams
Are still surviving on the street
Look at me, I'm in tatters!
I'm a shattered
Shattered

Friends are so alarming
My lover's never charming
Life's just a cocktail party on the street
Big Apple
People dressed in plastic bags
Directing traffic
Some kind of fashion

Shattered

Laughter, joy, and loneliness and sex and sex and sex and sex
Look at me, I'm in tatters
I'm a shattered
Shattered

All this chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter 'bout
Shmatta, shmatta, shmatta -- I can't give it away on 7th Avenue
This town's been wearing tatters (shattered, shattered)
Work and work for love and sex
Ain't you hungry for success, success, success, success
Does it matter? (Shattered) Does it matter?
I'm shattered.
Shattered

Ahhh, look at me, I'm a shattered
I'm a shattered
Look at me- I'm a shattered, yeah

Pride and joy and greed and sex
That's what makes our town the best
Pride and joy and dirty dreams and still surviving on the street
And look at me, I'm in tatters, yeah
I've been battered, what does it matter
Does it matter, uh-huh
Does it matter, uh-huh, I'm a shattered

Don't you know the crime rate is going up, up, up, up, up
To live in this town you must be tough, tough, tough, tough, tough!
You got rats on the west side
Bed bugs uptown
What a mess this town's in tatters I've been shattered
My brain's been battered, splattered all over Manhattan

Uh-huh, this town's full of money grabbers
Go ahead, bite the Big Apple, don't mind the maggots, huh
Shadoobie, my brain's been battered
My friends they come around they
Flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter
Pile it up, pile it high on the platter

or been out much.....................

I don't get even the questions about Mick here.....he revelled in his famous androgony from the word go and from the videos I've seen has flirted with and teased Ron since he came in the band and of course with Billy preston on stage in '76 and even without that he's always had a campness of 'boy scout jamboree' proportions always.??????????..wore more makeup than Mae West....in fact after '76 said it was time to get the hair cut as he was fed up by then of looking like an old whore....(I'm not suggesting Mae West was an old whore of course)......it's just a laugh........I don't know if it's strictly an English expression but over here it's just called 'pissing about'.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-24 02:45 by EddieByword.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:50

I'm with you. Shattered is an EPIC tribute to NYC.

Date: October 24, 2011 03:03

flacnvinyl
I'm with you. Shattered is an EPIC tribute to NYC.

lol...tribute...I dunno....certainly a comment........could have easily been about London too......uncollected rubbish (due to strikes) up to the proverbial ceiling.....transport system creaking..........punks everywhere....police and civil service corruption rife.....probaly the same everywhere.........brilliant unique song though......

Posted by: nanker25 ()
Date: October 24, 2011 07:33

Who cares if Mick grabbed Ronnie's crotch?

1. Mick is trying to be outrageous when he grabs crotches.
2. The main thing is the music.
3. The music is great.
4. It was 33 years ago. Get over it.
5. If you don't like it, start listening to soft rock, which is a contradiction in terms.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: October 24, 2011 15:04

What is it with you lot going on about Mick grabbing Ronnie's bits??????

Get a life. Its the Stones for God's sake!

Would it have made you feel better if he'd grabbed a female-fan's tits? I bet it would.

You really make me laugh.... you red-blooded homophobic males-you!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home