Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 12
Re: Live in Texas - thoughts and reviews
Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: October 5, 2011 21:06

StonesTod
Stargazer
Father Ted
StonesTod
what's all this about the guitars too low in the mix? i don't wanna be that weird guy in the theater screaming for them to turn up the damned guitars...again.

Anyone who says the guitars are inaudible is either deaf, doesn't know what a guitar sounds like or wasn't there!

I ain't a musician or a sound technician, but I go to a lot of gigs - and I agree with Father Ted on this one...

i don't think anyone said "inaudible." "low in the mix" was the characterization i read. now...let's reset and try again.
Indeed. There is a big difference between inaudible and low in the mix.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:09

I thought it was excellent, the guitars were there, not as loud as on Ladies and Gents but clearly there to hear. Beast of Burden and Faraway Eyes were brilliant and Let It Rock outstanding. I love it when Jagger forgets the words - real Rolling Stones, not the manufactured shite that Scorsese turned up. If you don't get to see it at the cinema buy it.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:59

Saw it in Hull last night complete with the Jagger interview.Was'nt sure what to expect - pleased to say it surpassed all expectations - the dvd is a must - great guitars,bare minimum on stage & it has to be said - 'Jagger is the man'.

Posted by: Stargazer ()
Date: October 6, 2011 03:33

Ged Rambler
Saw it in Hull last night complete with the Jagger interview.Was'nt sure what to expect - pleased to say it surpassed all expectations - the dvd is a must - great guitars,bare minimum on stage & it has to be said - 'Jagger is the man'.

I agree about Mick, he was on top form - as was the band. So it seems only 1 cinema didn't have the MJ interview?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 6, 2011 03:42

I checked and it's a really small venue, 2600 capacity. It's a theater show which is awesome.

I saw them in Rich Stadium in Buffalo. I can still remember the extended jam during When the Whip Comes Down and it was awesome. Totally different show I presume. I read somewhere where it was perhaps the best stadium show of the tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-06 03:48 by MileHigh.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: October 6, 2011 03:43

Where are you guys watching this? Here in the U.S. we don't get it till October 18th. Can't wait though!

Duh, never mind. I just read further through the thread, lucky bunch!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-06 03:47 by Thru and Thru.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 6, 2011 06:19

Bottom line... Is the sound better or worse than Handsome Girls? IMHO, Handsome Girls is the greatest bootleg of all time. Sound couldn't be better.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 6, 2011 13:14

Ket
By the way if there is anybody in London who wants to see the film, it is playing at the Westfield Vue (Shepherds Bush)cinema tomorrow night, for some reason it got rescheduled from last night.

[www.myvue.com]

It's also playing tonight at Vue Westfield Stratford at 8 pm.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: October 6, 2011 14:58

Thru and Thru
Where are you guys watching this? Here in the U.S. we don't get it till October 18th. Can't wait though!

Duh, never mind. I just read further through the thread, lucky bunch!

It played accross the UK and Ireland on Tuesday night. Not sure about the rest of Europe though?

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: thelantern ()
Date: October 6, 2011 15:05

Hey skelly! Did it play in Ireland? As far as I know it was cancelled in the two cinemas nearest to me here in Dublin. I was really looking forward to it and, judging from all the reviews here, it was well worth seeing. You've got me worried now....maybe it wasn't cancelled....oh s**t!!

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: October 6, 2011 15:18

@thelantern, don't know mate. I'm just going with the locations that were posted on the official website. I watched it in Glasgow. I did hear that Dublin was cancelled but I'm not sure if it was just Dublin or all over.

Hope you get to see it soon. thumbs up

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 6, 2011 15:48

I am not deaf, I play guitar and I was at the Southampton Odeon on Tuesday.

To me the guitars were not loud enough, especially compared to the vocals, drums and bass. Disagree if you like but don't insult me.

I remember a similar situation with Lets Spend The Night Together the late 83 reissue mix was better than the May 83 release mix.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 6, 2011 16:13

The GR

Good, so you did have a good time eh ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 6, 2011 16:27

Damn. I can't wait for Monday evening. I'm off work to see this.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 6, 2011 16:52

The GR
I am not deaf, I play guitar

that's excellent. deaf guitar players are some of the worst...and they don't even realize it.

Date: October 6, 2011 17:19

StonesTod
The GR

that's excellent. deaf guitar players are some of the worst...and they don't even realize it.

Then posing becomes more important than ever...

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 6, 2011 17:31

For thelantern & Skelly -

The Dublin situation was confusing, but in the end it DID play - at one theatre; the UCI in Stillorgan.

It had been cancelled in the other two Dublin cinemas, and after it had disappeared and re-appeared ad naseum on the Stillorgan website, I eventaully got through to them and had it confirmed it was on there.

Only 7 people in attendance including myself and my wife; not a great theatre to view it in (old cinema) but it was great seeing it on the big screen.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 6, 2011 17:34

DandelionPowderman
StonesTod
The GR

Then posing becomes more important than ever...

i supPOSE so....

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 6, 2011 18:06

The GR

To me the guitars were not loud enough, especially compared to the vocals, drums and bass. Disagree if you like but don't insult me.

I remember a similar situation with Lets Spend The Night Together the late 83 reissue mix was better than the May 83 release mix.

I'm sorry if you feel Iinsulted you but that was not my intention.

The guitars seemed quite prominent to me. You could clearly hear and distinguish between Woods and Richards. The guitars certainly did not sound "low in the mix". I asked the people I went with and neither had any criticism of the soundtrack. Quite the opposite in fact. We'll have to agree to disagree. Hope you enjoyed the show anyway.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 6, 2011 18:47

I'm with Drake -- the sound of the FW show on the boot is really, really strong -- I hope they didn't mess with that...

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: October 6, 2011 18:56

EddieByword
Welsh Stone
What an excellent show. So many standout songs, but if I had to pick 1 think it would have to be Love in Vain. But saying that, they were all so good it's almost like having to pick a favourite from your children!!

The 4 of us in the cinema thoroughly enjoyed it anyway

Hi Welshstone...did you go to Cardiff ?..I went to Port Talbot, 7 of us there...........

Nantgarw. Was going to go to Port Talbot, but the fact that it started half an hour earlier in Nantgarw swung it for me!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 6, 2011 19:24

Welsh Stone
EddieByword
Welsh Stone
What an excellent show. So many standout songs, but if I had to pick 1 think it would have to be Love in Vain. But saying that, they were all so good it's almost like having to pick a favourite from your children!!

The 4 of us in the cinema thoroughly enjoyed it anyway

Hi Welshstone...did you go to Cardiff ?..I went to Port Talbot, 7 of us there...........

Nantgarw. Was going to go to Port Talbot, but the fact that it started half an hour earlier in Nantgarw swung it for me!

Nantgarw ala pottery fame........O.K. cheers Welshstone, Eddie, Paul Durden of Twintown fame was at ours.........

Date: October 7, 2011 16:16

I was buzzing at the brilliance of it all when I first came out of the cinema and for hours after....however on reflection there was one blot on the sun. Mick jagger's descision to wear a swastika t-shirt. I posted in a different thread about 10 days ago (The 'best' When the whip comes down thread) that I thought that Mick was a bit affected in '78. The onset of punk resulting in a mid-life crisis with him over reacting - extra nasty in interviews & on stage etc - which made him come across to me at least as a bit silly. I know Brian at least wore a swastika in the sixties for a photo shoot but to me that was in a different context......for Mick to wear one ala Sid Vicious, well it was a bit disappointing to see him at 35 slavishly following the fashion of a 19 year old to prove he's(was) where it's at and in the flow.
To give the benefit of the doubt though I've put it down to a faux pas due to mid-life crisis rather than a willingness to do anything for a buck......................

Date: October 7, 2011 16:22

EddieByword
I was buzzing at the brilliance of it all when I first came out of the cinema and for hours after....however on reflection there was one blot on the sun. Mick jagger's descision to wear a swastika t-shirt. I posted in a different thread about 10 days ago (The 'best' When the whip comes down thread) that I thought that Mick was a bit affected in '78. The onset of punk resulting in a mid-life crisis with him over reacting - extra nasty in interviews & on stage etc - which made him come across to me at least as a bit silly. I know Brian at least wore a swastika in the sixties for a photo shoot but to me that was in a different context......for Mick to wear one ala Sid Vicious, well it was a bit disappointing to see him at 35 slavishly following the fashion of a 19 year old to prove he's(was) where it's at and in the flow.
To give the benefit of the doubt though I've put it down to a faux pas due to mid-life crisis rather than a willingness to do anything for a buck......................

You forgot the letter above it: Destroy

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 7, 2011 16:41

DandelionPowderman
EddieByword

Thanks for clarifying that...I was scratching my head as MJ is a bit of a liberal; couldn't make the nazi connection with him.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: October 7, 2011 16:53

any newspaper reviews?

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: October 7, 2011 17:07

Thanks for all the great reviews. This'll be great!

I probably missed it but will there be vinyl and cd?

Or is it DVD only?

Date: October 7, 2011 17:26

DandelionPowderman
EddieByword

I guess the word Destroy there is open to that contexturalisation but my understanding a t the time was that the punks were calling for the destruction of the established order and the concept of the perfection of the nuclear family. (And people like Jagger)...not a lot of mention of National Front or BNP as the equivalent is now. Thinking back I do remember a lot of references to Thatcher's goverment being called Nazis and fascists but that wasn't until 1981. hmmmm........
My point about Jagger though wasn't that he may have had those leanings it was more about him looking to me at least as though he'd worn the t-shirt in a glib and 'unfortunately' opportunistic way ........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-08 01:40 by EddieByword.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: October 7, 2011 17:46

DonĀ“t forget Bill!

Great great bass playing!!!!

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: October 8, 2011 00:19

keefbajaga
any newspaper reviews?

On nu.nl is a nice review in dutch.....

www.nu.nl/muziek/2634008/rolling-stones-waren-en-slecht

Google translation:

"Rolling Stones were thoroughly bad '
Last update: October 6, 2011 9:50

HEERLEN - A concert by the Rolling Stones, you at least once in a lifetime experiences. If necessary in the bios. Today is the greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time a kindly looking old-male group has become.

How different it was in 1978. In the late seventies were difficult times for the established rock bands. The punk had to win its empathy with the young audience and there was no place for bands like The Rolling Stones. In turn, the Stones again annoyed that the rebellious attitude of punk bands had them copied.
In short, in 1978 the Stones made ??Some Girls with a genuine rock 'n' roll record with a wide range of styles. Of (detested by Keith Richards) disco to country and authentic rock 'n' roll. It was one of the best Stones records ever.
Partly thanks to hits like Beast Of Burden, Miss You, and above all, achieved the Stones over the world back to the top of the charts. In late November, the album re-released and gets a treatment similar to the previously released deluxe edition of Exile On Main St.

Cinemas
For this release, promotional support has been chosen to a lost film from 1978 concerts in dozens of cinemas via satellite broadcast. It was hot that night in July. Crime scene, Forth Worth, Texas. "The band Has Been f$#^%$ 'all night long yesterday." Mick Jagger let no grass grow.
His well-filled leather pants and chicken butt regularly come into close-up image. The band plays a relatively small room and sit on each other's lips. No inflatable ph@$#%^# symbol and no additional stage for Jagger to the marathon.

Bomb
Here is a band. From one moment seems to be a bomb exploded. An energy is released which many punk band from that era, and even now, a point can s#$@ on. The film is thick with dust located thirty years and is then shot with a 16-millimeter camera.
The result is stunningly clear. That goes for the sound. Never heard the guitar battles between Richards and Wood so clear. Interesting is also the choice of setlist. As many as eight songs from the then new album Some Girls are played.

Bad
What is particularly striking is that the men in 1978 was thoroughly bad. Keith now looks like a friendly grandfather. But this film he is tight with all that God has forbidden and he chopped of his listeners.
Bill Wyman, calm and immovable as ever, is uncanny the first row to check on young flesh for after the show and Wood sticks while playing one after another cigarette. The Rolling Stones, you must have seen at least once in your life. Preferably thirty-three years ago, al Or, as now, a movie theater.

------------------------ END -------------------------

I like the quote about Bill...... ;-)
I will see the movie within 3 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-08 00:21 by mrfancyman.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home