Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12
Re: Live in Texas - thoughts and reviews
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 19, 2011 18:49

liddas
In god knows how many years I am on this board, I've NEVER seen such a general consensus on a RS official release!!!

I still remember the days when the 78 tour was just Whip from Sucking the 70s ... and I LOVED it! And couldn't understand why everybody considered this tour to be one of the worst

C

it almost always comes down to the quality of circulating live material. aside from the HG set and the passaic show, there isn't that much out there ...most of the audience sources are below par, soundwise...and whether folks want to admit it or not, perceptions of performance quality are skewed by quality of the recordings. same holds true for other tours...

i'm sure that if the oakland stadium show (it was professionally shot, too) ever got out, it would change perceptions about that show (the last of the tour), which, as it's documented on the extant aud source, is not very impressive....

Date: October 19, 2011 18:52

Stones62
StonesTod
filstan
Last question. Why not more dates in USA theaters for this gem?

a serious question? did you happen to notice how few of your fellow rabid stones fans were there last night?
A valid point To. In Redwood City there were perhaps 20 people in attendance but when I spoke to mcparty in Walnut Creek after the flick he told there about 100, most of whom were clapping and wooping it up during the screening. Walnut Creek must be Stones' country...

still...not reason enough to move from rc to wc...

Posted by: thePenguin ()
Date: October 19, 2011 19:06

great show, fully captured the best of the '78 performances. only 3 people at my theater. was able to briefly smoke a doob.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: October 19, 2011 19:34

thePenguin
was able to briefly smoke a doob.

Theater shows, $12.50 ticket prices, a tight performance, doobs in the audience, etc.

Fun to turn back the clock to 1978. smiling smiley

Date: October 19, 2011 19:36

uhbuhgullayew
thePenguin
was able to briefly smoke a doob.

Theater shows, $12.50 ticket prices, a tight performance, doobs in the audience, etc.

Fun to turn back the clock to 1978. smiling smiley

yeah. best part - like all old movies with a bunch of extras - was looking at the crowd and trying to figure out which ones were already dead. love that stuff.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 19, 2011 19:39

It was $25 for two to watch the movie so in a way the Stones have doubled their money from that one show, if the movie attendance managed to equal the show attendance.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: October 19, 2011 20:18

Saw the movie last night in Del Rey Beach, FL.

Thanks to the gent who requested the theater turn up the volume..and to the theater for obliging. It sounded so much better cranked up!

Loved Jaggers insight into how he was influenced by the musical melting pot of late 70's NYC.

Great performance by the band...stripped down Stones at their best. Ripping versions of Let it Rock, Respectable, Sweet Little 16 (Nod to Chuck for "Happy" 85th yesterday) & JFF to name a few. I even enjoy Star Star ...typically not one of my favs. Beast of Burden (probally my all time favorite song) was fantastic. Ian McClagan on keys deserves a shout out here. Just my Imagination was great to hear ...although nothing beats Hampton '81 version, in my book. Far Away Eyes-A nice county treat mixed in. I see where Mick switches from piano to keyboard early in the song as it appeared there were some technical issues (mic?)..giving the song a slightly different sound to those closely listening. Doug Kershaw on fiddle gets a brief spotlight. Stones country is underated & underperformed. Stones doing country is as about as good as country gets. Keith backing Vocs always made this live version the best I have heard. Great to hear Mick & Keith singing Happy. My Handsome Girls boot has version where Keith sounds ....sick, as in not well, a cold. Not in the movie. Everyone is hitting on all cylanders.

A few minor quitics: Would have liked to seen a photo/video or even a mention of the shoes incident as they talked semi frequently of the '78 Anaheim stadium show in the Jagger interview.

Did not care for the format of previewing the concert duriong the Jagger interview. In other words, I would have rather had the interview ..then the show. Period. Not interview mixed with clips from the show..then the show. Minor stuff..but thought I would mention it.

Would have liked to seen a nod to Stu & a little more Charlie footage. Nice clip of him during hopped up JJF though.

Overall ..great insight into the Stones '78. Fine versions of all the songs. Jagger puts in a passionate performance. Definately not mailing it in. To use a drug reference, the Stones to me are, a bit more diluted these days with backing vocs/horns/guitar?! ... so while it was a shorter set list back then, they were dfinately more potent.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 19, 2011 20:27

Best $40 Bucks I've spent in a long time. Two tickets, popcorn, Junior Mints, a Coke for my wife and a Frozen Coke/Cherry Mix for me. Excellent fun!

I just loved watching Ronnie Wood. He brought such an enthusiasm to the stage, along with killer playing. Love his slide work and bottleneck skills during this era.

The first time I ever "saw" the Stones was on TV during Saturday Night Live a few months after this concert. "My" Rolling Stones is this line-up and Live in Texas was an absolute blast to see on the big screen last night.

Now I'll get greedy and ask the band when they tour again: Play Happy with both Keith and Mick on stage together and let Keith and Ronnie share background vocals on one mic. Sooooo cool.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: October 19, 2011 20:35

Saw the show last night in St. Louis and loved it! There were about 40 people in the theater.

My favorite song in the movie was Honky Tonk Women...really liked that version. It really rocked and really rolled. The entire show, though, was top-notch, and I am very glad the powers that be decided to release this.

As I'd never seen footage from the 78 tour before, this movie helped fill in a missing link in the development of Mick's stage persona. It always seemed to me that there was a big difference in how he acted between Paris 1976 and the Let's Spend the Night Together film. Live in Texas helped make that progression make more sense to me...there were elements of 1976 and what was to come in 1981/82. And, man, he was a BADASS during this show...loved it!

The only complaint I have about the movie (and it's very minor) is that the video was not as pristine and sharp as I would have hoped. I realize that the movie is much better than footage that has been going around in boot circles, but I was hoping for better. Maybe I'm just spoiled with my HDTV.

I have to say that the interview before the show was a bit disarming. Before the interviewer started talking to Mick, they showed footage from the show of a few of the songs. Then, they showed Mick today. Holy crap...he looked awful! While he has certainly aged quite a bit, I think the lighting for the interview was very unflattering. I think I might have gasped at first sight of him. To me, he looked considerably older than he did in Shine a Light.

Date: October 19, 2011 20:46

chrism13
Stones doing country is as about as good as country gets.

you need to get out in the country more...it gets waaaay better....

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: October 19, 2011 20:56

StonesTod
chrism13
Stones doing country is as about as good as country gets.

you need to get out in the country more...it gets waaaay better....

Amen to that Tod.

Had 4 biz trips to Nashville in a 16 month period & went to a few country bars across the street from where the Preds play hockey & close to Vandy. Although I've never liked country music, the live music that I saw & heard was some of the finest loud & proud music I've ever experienced. Pure, crisp, passionate....just quality sounding & wholesome music. Nashville is quite the live music experience.

Just be sure to take a cab.....cops are everywhere in the surrounding area, waiting to pounce.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 19, 2011 21:18

DragonSky
It was $25 for two to watch the movie

25 dollars = 18 euros ,am I right ?

I paid 10 euros for one ticket for "Midnight in Paris" ......Welcome to France !!lol

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: October 19, 2011 22:23

There were only about 20 people at the Philly showing. Pretty sad considering it was the only showing in the whole city. I thought the Jagger interview was absolutely useless. He seemed to just ramble on and on without actually saying anything. Where were the rest of the band for this interview?

The performance was very good. The sound in the theatre was much too low, and it barley drowned out the @#$%& behind me singing along. I thought there was too much focus on Mick. Keith was barely on screen, but when he was, he had the baddest MF to ever pick up a guitar look down pat. Highlights for me were Beast, Whip, Let it Rock, Dice, and Happy. Man, I wish they could still play like that.

Date: October 19, 2011 22:27

mickboy33
I have to say that the interview before the show was a bit disarming. Before the interviewer started talking to Mick, they showed footage from the show of a few of the songs. Then, they showed Mick today. Holy crap...he looked awful! While he has certainly aged quite a bit, I think the lighting for the interview was very unflattering. I think I might have gasped at first sight of him. To me, he looked considerably older than he did in Shine a Light.

I enjoyed it. Mick is funny when he doesn't seem to be meaning to be funny. Someone else mentioned it, and maybe more than one person, that it seems obvious that Mick somehow hasn't seen the movie. That is strange. But I think he likes to play up the 'Oh we've been doing this for so lonnng and that was sooo long ago I cahnn't remembuh' and all that.

But really. Isn't it enough that's Mick's agreed to let this thing out? I mean, what do you expect, Mick to actually be bothered with talking about the past - even though he's part of the hyping of it and recording with it? They're a working band, moving forward and doing new things and all that.

Ha ha. I was being sarcastic there, in case you can't tell.

Mick does look old in this - because he is! Shine A Light was FILMED in 2006, almost 5 years ago. He did look like he had been dunked in a pile of flour (except for the dyed hair of course). I agree the lighting wasn't helping. But the dude is getting up there. And for their age and what they've done? Yeah, they're gettin' wrinkly. All those long nights are starting to catch up with 'em. But that's alright, that's how they rolled.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 19, 2011 22:30

mickboy33

because he is!

I saw it last night in NYC and theater was virtually sold out. I enjoyed it more than Ladies and Gents, probably becasue the film quality was much better and the group of songs was more "rare." I agree it would ahve bene nice to see more of Chjarlie and Stu. Also, i see where the Ron Wood face lick on SNL came from a few months later...Mick was flirting with Ronnie all night in Texas!

One thing that surprised me is that Mick, who is so image conscious would release a film with him wearing the Destroy shirt. I realize it was him trying to be punk at the time, but as he now has "matured" to the point where he edits his own lyrics in songs like Some girls, Stray Cat Blues and Midnight Rambler, i bet it was tough for him to put himself out there to audiences in 2011 wearing a swastika. Also, I was surprised that the interview was not scripted by Mick because when asked about the shirt, clearly the swastika was the reason the questions was asked, but Mick never even mentioned it and played down even remembering the shirt, saying something like "was that the destroy shirt..."

Regardless, an enjoyable watch; im looking forward to the "new" some girls album next.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: October 19, 2011 23:12

I am originally from CT...wich is close to NJ.

"New Jersey's in the country init?" -MJ Capital Theater Passaic, NJ '76

for the record I have been to Nashville, and enjoyed it very much. The live music scene is great. I recall hearing live music from a bar just walking down Broadway late one morning. That is something I had not heard in NY, SF or Chicago. As Mick said pre concernt interview (something I have been saying for years) ...Just as there is good country, rock, blues ..etc., there is plenty of bad rock, county, blues etc. Nasville is no exception. Does in get much better than Keith singing & playing Say it's not you with George Jones? I would call it Soul music as it seems to come from deep within. Mick & Jerry Lee Lewis on Evening Gown, Mick Taylor country lead licks on Dead Flowers, not to mention the acoustic Beggars Banquet stuff, Far Away Eyes, We Had All, the Worst....the list goes on, are all prime examples of great Stones counrty or country influenced songs.

I should also mention Dolly Parton was playing last night in Ft. Lauderdale & wanted to hear/see her, but forgot it was the same night as the Stones concert film. Hopefully there is a next time.

Date: October 19, 2011 23:17

i think when you hear keith singing with george jones, you get a pretty fair idea of which one of these is a great country singer....

Date: October 19, 2011 23:17

SwayStones
DragonSky
It was $25 for two to watch the movie

25 dollars = 18 euros ,am I right ?

I paid 10 euros for one ticket for "Midnight in Paris" ......Welcome to France !!lol

I don't know. Haven't paid attention. I hear things about it and know that the US dollar SUCKS but that the Euro is on its way out. Then the price of gasoline goes way down to $3.25 a gallon but I still spend between $70 and $100 to fill up.

Dunno who to believe anymore.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 20, 2011 00:51

StonesTod
filstan
Last question. Why not more dates in USA theaters for this gem?

a serious question? did you happen to notice how few of your fellow rabid stones fans were there last night?

A serious question, yes. Why not at least give a theater more than just one screening or perhaps a 2-3 day run? I would say in the theater I saw the film it was 30% full, but this multiplex had few people watching the other 8-9 movies as well. There are people I work with who really wanted to go, but had other obligations. I would have gone back for another viewing myself tonight I liked it so much.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 20, 2011 00:56

Loved the show -- theater was about 2/3 full, which is more than I expected.

The sound (Tod) was NOT loud enough, but was bearable.

I'm writing basically to make this one point: people have said in this thread that Keith seemed low in the mix; for my ears in this theater, compared to Handsome Girls, Ronnie was noticeably lower and Mick's vocals were a bit higher -- Keith, Bill, Charlie and the keys sounded really good, individually and in relationship to each other

Date: October 20, 2011 01:06

texas fan
Loved the show -- theater was about 2/3 full, which is more than I expected.

The sound (Tod) was NOT loud enough, but was bearable.

I'm writing basically to make this one point: people have said in this thread that Keith seemed low in the mix; for my ears in this theater, compared to Handsome Girls, Ronnie was noticeably lower and Mick's vocals were a bit higher -- Keith, Bill, Charlie and the keys sounded really good, individually and in relationship to each other

interesting. i'm pretty hard to please with sound - i was pleased in pflugerville....

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: October 20, 2011 01:33

There must be differences we experienced then, theatre to theatre, because Ronnie was noticeably higher in my theatre, and Keith was buried. Most frustrating during Sweet Little Sixteen, when I could hear Keith's parts just enough in the background to know I was indeed missing out.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 20, 2011 01:46

Just as I suspected, it is by far my favorite concert film of all time. A few observations..

Sound - Handsome Girls is better. Far better. I love Bob Clearmountain's work, but the guitars are simply not loud enough. I actually ran out to talk to a manager twice during the first two songs because it simply was not loud enough. They turned it up and that was better, but it just did not sound all that great. Hopefully it will sound better at home in my controlled sound setup.

Focus - I wish so much that they had showed other band members. Ronnie does a solo and the camera focuses on Mick dancing. Maybe there simply was not a shot to use, but I'd rather see a wide shot in that situation.

Jagger's Junk - Crotch shots? Is that necessary? If they re-edited the whole film then they should have removed that stuff. Maybe there are SOME GIRLS who dig that, but for the vast majority of us we just thought 'really??'.

Performance - Handsome Girls is my favorite bootleg of all time and it is way too cool to see why. Ronnie's solo drops off because Jagger is messing with him. Water spilling near the amps on All Down The Line, roadies cleaning it up while Keith rips awesome riffs. This is the band I know and love.

Quality - I think Eagle Rock did a decent job but I keep thinking how amazing this would be if the same processing techniques were applied to this film, as were applied on the Gimme Shelter Criteron Collection release.

Overall just stellar. Absolutely stellar.

Date: October 20, 2011 01:56

flacnvinyl
Sound - Handsome Girls is better. Far better.

musta been your theater. the sound was on a virtual par with hg for me.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 20, 2011 02:01

great sound in NJ

Date: October 20, 2011 02:09

flacnvinyl
Jagger's Junk - Crotch shots? Is that necessary? If they re-edited the whole film then they should have removed that stuff. Maybe there are SOME GIRLS who dig that, but for the vast majority of us we just thought 'really??'

I found it, all of it, all of Mick's antics, to be hilarious and I laughed out loud several times. It's how it was! It's how he was! I don't get the issue you have with that. It's ffucking Mick Jagger man. Come on!

Date: October 20, 2011 02:28

Saw it in Irvine, Ca last nite. Don't know if it was the feed they were gettin' but many out of focus parts. The same thing happened with L&G but when I got the Blu-Ray it was all cleared up. Hope it's the same here. The Mick interview made me laugh. He talked about how they would change the set lists on later tours. Excuse me! I saw all three Las Vegas shows last tour and they were carbon copies of each other. Geez!

Scotty

PS. Gonna try and get in to see Stevie Nicks at The Grammy Museum tonite even though I couldn't get a ticket. She performing some songs so if Waddy's there gonna ask him the million dollar question - "Have you heard from Keith about a Wino's reunion?".

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 20, 2011 02:28

Love in Vain was so intense. it was magic, baby

Date: October 20, 2011 02:30

Bashlets
Love in Vain was so intense. it was magic, baby

i give them credit for doing this as well in '78 as they could, given the personnel available. but, mick taylor OWNED this song...i will not tolerate any dissent on this point.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 20, 2011 02:46

Gotta agree about Love In Vain. Beautiful. Far Away Eyes too. =)

Standout tracks for me... Whip, Just My Imagination, Love In Vain... SWEET LITTLE SIXTEEN.

Right now I am about to deliver dvds to a bunch of clients. Think I'll listen to disc two while I drive... =)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home