Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12
Re: Live in Texas - thoughts and reviews
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 20, 2011 02:52

chrism13

I should also mention Dolly Parton was playing last night in Ft. Lauderdale & wanted to hear/see her, but forgot it was the same night as the Stones concert film. Hopefully there is a next time.

she just played here in Sarasota...i didn't go but the show was apparently fantastic.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: October 20, 2011 02:59

It my little town of Mill Valley, CA there were only about 20 people in my small local theater so I got to stand up and dance at the back and rock out! Thought the show was AWESOME! At that time I had only seen the Stones once at Knebworth and my next show was in '82 at Candelstick - from then on I was hooked.

However, I'm surprised that no-one has expressed pain at the fact that Mick in his interview prior to the concert was all "Botoxed out". What happened to those wonderful expressive lines on his face???? Please Mick let the Botox lapse!! And rock on, of course

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 20, 2011 03:11

Just a couple more things...

The sound was good in my theater, Tod, just not loud enough and somehwat different from HG, as I said above.

As to Love in Vain and "Taylor owning this song," I do not dissent. I think, though, that this version, in which the band jointly owned the song, was quite powerful.

Finally,while I agree with the majority opinion that the band was great, especially compared to recent years, I have to say I was especially blown away by Mick. He was was so engaged and committed compared to everything that has followed --bleeping fantastic --

Posted by: atip ()
Date: October 20, 2011 05:29

I thought it was really good, but... am I the only one that was bothered by Mick rubbing Ronnie's crotch and making a few other effeminate gestures?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 20, 2011 07:38

At least he didn't lick his lips, like on Saturday Night Live, ha-ha.

Posted by: nanker25 ()
Date: October 20, 2011 08:56

freshen my memory, please.

I saw the final stop on the 1978 tour (Mick's 35th birthday) July 26, Oakland, and recall only Ian McLagan on keyboard, He's also the only keyboard player introduced on the 6-14-78 bootleg from Passaic, N.J.
But Ian Stewart was clearly at Fort Worth. Was Stew on the rest of the tour? Some dates.

Also, I recall Mick on concert grand for Love In Vain in Oakland. Am I right?
Yet he is not on keyboard of Fort Worth.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 20, 2011 09:22

nanker25
freshen my memory, please.

I saw the final stop on the 1978 tour (Mick's 35th birthday) July 26, Oakland, and recall only Ian McLagan on keyboard, He's also the only keyboard player introduced on the 6-14-78 bootleg from Passaic, N.J.
But Ian Stewart was clearly at Fort Worth. Was Stew on the rest of the tour? Some dates.

Also, I recall Mick on concert grand for Love In Vain in Oakland. Am I right?
Yet he is not on keyboard of Fort Worth.

Jagger was only on keys for Far AWay Eyes. In the film the amplification for the grand piano cuts out (you can see Ian McLagan kid of futz with it) and then Jagger moves to the Wurlitzer. I also didn't know Wood sang backups on Far AWay Eyes on that tour. He had a microphone on him. However, at the first Anaheim show guest piano player Nicky Hopkins did get a solo (sort of) on Love In Vain.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-20 09:25 by tomk.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 20, 2011 10:51

atip
I thought it was really good, but... am I the only one that was bothered by Mick rubbing Ronnie's crotch and making a few other effeminate gestures?

It seems that you're not the only one.
I've read some comments about the same thing .

Date: October 20, 2011 15:08

SwayStones
atip

I understand people's reactions to that,and that's fine, but good grief -- where have these offended been for the last 50 years? Do they see nothing feminine about the way he was in'66 or '69 or '73 or '76? Much of his fame was built on his androgyny during those years, and much of his showmanship, too. I am confused that anyone should suddenly notice it...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 20, 2011 16:57

gonna see mac tonight...wonder if he made it out to one of the theaters the other night...i'll ask him.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 20, 2011 17:31

atip

So Jagger fully succeeded.

Mathijs

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 20, 2011 17:34

texas fan
SwayStones
atip

I understand people's reactions to that,and that's fine, but good grief -- where have these offended been for the last 50 years? Do they see nothing feminine about the way he was in'66 or '69 or '73 or '76? Much of his fame was built on his androgyny during those years, and much of his showmanship, too. I am confused that anyone should suddenly notice it...

Yeah, it's as if some Stones fans have suddenly and magically become Rush Limbaughian. Do they not know how Mick Jagger has been in the past? They're offended? That's just too funny.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 20, 2011 17:36

Mathijs
atip

Mathijs

thumbs up

Date: October 20, 2011 18:47

DragonSky
texas fan
SwayStones
atip

Yeah, it's as if some Stones fans have suddenly and magically become Rush Limbaughian. Do they not know how Mick Jagger has been in the past? They're offended? That's just too funny.

Funny? No, what's funny is how a some people overlook things just because it's Mick Jagger or some other celeb. We all know Mick's history, but that doesn't mean I want to see a man, let alone one of my rock heroes, rubbing another man's crotch. Haven't had to see that over the past 30-years of touring. If that's the sort of thing you're into, that's what bands like Frankie Goes To Hollywood are for. And making an association to Rush Limbaugh is a pretty obtuse statement.

Date: October 20, 2011 19:26

atip
DragonSky
texas fan
SwayStones
atip

Funny? No, what's funny is how a some people overlook things just because it's Mick Jagger or some other celeb. We all know Mick's history, but that doesn't mean I want to see a man, let alone one of my rock heroes, rubbing another man's crotch. Haven't had to see that over the past 30-years of touring. If that's the sort of thing you're into, that's what bands like Frankie Goes To Hollywood are for. And making an association to Rush Limbaugh is a pretty obtuse statement.

Didn't mean to start any hating. It's really ok, I think, that we don't all see this the same way...

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: October 20, 2011 19:47

I didn't get the chance to see the screening the other day, but a friend of mine did, at my encouragement from things I've read here, and he is very happy to have done so.

He did mention that Jagger didn't appear to have watched the performance before he did the recent interview. Why? I think he could re-learn a thing or two about what a fired-up band can do. However, Keith watched Shine a Light and apparently didn't see anything wrong with his performance, so, who knows?

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 20, 2011 20:25

atip

It's only Rock and Roll. WOW, that bothered you ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-20 20:26 by custom55.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 20, 2011 21:26

atip

Ronnie got back at Mick. Did you see Ronnie almost getting his foot up Mick's ass?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 20, 2011 21:46

Edith Grove
atip

Ronnie got back at Mick. Did you see Ronnie almost getting his foot up Mick's ass?

twice ronnie offered mick a hit of his cig; twice he was turned down. the one time mick did take ronnie's cig, he tossed it on the ground and stomped on it. for those who don't believe these two cats don't hate each other now, i don't know what other evidence you are looking for...

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 20, 2011 23:22

StonesTod
Edith Grove
atip

twice ronnie offered mick a hit of his cig; twice he was turned down. the one time mick did take ronnie's cig, he tossed it on the ground and stomped on it. for those who don't believe these two cats don't hate each other now, i don't know what other evidence you are looking for...

Very strange dynamics in this band.

Innocent/playful or not I don't think Mick would have been doing some of those things if it had been Mick Taylor on the stage instead of Ronnie.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 20, 2011 23:34

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-20 23:57 by EddieByword.

Date: October 21, 2011 00:37

Think about it, it's the tour for the album with "When the Whip Comes Down" so yes, as on SNL that same year, Mick turned up the gay stuff deliberately.

And no sooner do some of us get their (pardon the expression) head around that than someone mentions Taylor would never have been treated that way which is the perfect segue for the individual here who likes to claim Taylor left the band because Jagger tried to do him. And in no time at all, the Some Girls concert film thread will become another Taylor thread devoted to something other than the man's talents on guitar.

Back to DragonSky's point about Limbaugh, I think a better comparison would have been Bill O'Reilly who claimed to be a huge Stones fan, had Wyman on his show, and then proceeded to talk about how he was "shocked...shocked" by what bad people they were after reading OLD GODS ALMOST DEAD. A Stones fan O'Reilly's age should certainly have been aware of their reputation which made his claims of outrage rather disingenuous. If you'll allow me to speak for my old pal DragonSky, I think that's all he was getting at.

I understand not everyone has watched every video on Youtube or has all the bootlegs and (if they're only familiar with 1981-2001) might not think of Jagger acting that way. Although he's playing with himself throughout LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER as well so, um, get used to it. Mick used to be quite deliberately offensive in ways other than perpetrating bad rhymes and demonstrating an over-reliance on cliches.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 21, 2011 01:34

1cdog
StonesTod
Edith Grove
atip

Very strange dynamics in this band.

Innocent/playful or not I don't think Mick would have been doing some of those things if it had been Mick Taylor on the stage instead of Ronnie.

Not on the stage perhaps.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 21, 2011 01:39

atip

Ehh,
Bothered? Jagger was coked to the gills on this tour and 81 - the excessive fondling is kind of weird, but offensive?

Date: October 21, 2011 01:56

Eh, no worries, texas fan, but calling someone Rush Limbaugh is a little strong. eye popping smiley

Posted by: doster ()
Date: October 21, 2011 04:15

I was blown away. Didn't expect much actually. Not my favorite live era, but man they rocked that night.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 21, 2011 07:20

StonesTod
Stones62
StonesTod
filstan
Last question. Why not more dates in USA theaters for this gem?

a serious question? did you happen to notice how few of your fellow rabid stones fans were there last night?
A valid point To. In Redwood City there were perhaps 20 people in attendance but when I spoke to mcparty in Walnut Creek after the flick he told there about 100, most of whom were clapping and wooping it up during the screening. Walnut Creek must be Stones' country...

still...not reason enough to move from rc to wc...
Their's nothing else to do in WC except walk around and look fab.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: October 21, 2011 08:17

Mathijs
atip

Mathijs

Thank you.

Date: October 21, 2011 18:49

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Think about it, it's the tour for the album with "When the Whip Comes Down" so yes, as on SNL that same year, Mick turned up the gay stuff deliberately.

And no sooner do some of us get their (pardon the expression) head around that than someone mentions Taylor would never have been treated that way which is the perfect segue for the individual here who likes to claim Taylor left the band because Jagger tried to do him. And in no time at all, the Some Girls concert film thread will become another Taylor thread devoted to something other than the man's talents on guitar.

Back to DragonSky's point about Limbaugh, I think a better comparison would have been Bill O'Reilly who claimed to be a huge Stones fan, had Wyman on his show, and then proceeded to talk about how he was "shocked...shocked" by what bad people they were after reading OLD GODS ALMOST DEAD. A Stones fan O'Reilly's age should certainly have been aware of their reputation which made his claims of outrage rather disingenuous. If you'll allow me to speak for my old pal DragonSky, I think that's all he was getting at.

I understand not everyone has watched every video on Youtube or has all the bootlegs and (if they're only familiar with 1981-2001) might not think of Jagger acting that way. Although he's playing with himself throughout LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER as well so, um, get used to it. Mick used to be quite deliberately offensive in ways other than perpetrating bad rhymes and demonstrating an over-reliance on cliches.

Of course it was over the top to use Rush. It was a point of absurdity! Then again the PC age has made people way more, I dunno, uptight. Or to use StonesTod's saying, "or something". What Mick did is funny. It is. If yer not comfortable with it then that's your deal, which I understand, but it doesn't change the context of it. I have no problem with it. It's not "offensive" or "shocking" by any means. Perhaps knowing that's how Mick used to be plays into it a bit, the reputation, as William said.

Didn't know about Bill O'Reilly though. That's funny. And spot on, yes. Of course he would be 'shocked' - he's such a straight arrow of a person. He's a barometer of how we should all feel.

Date: October 21, 2011 18:52

atip
DragonSky
texas fan
SwayStones
atip

Why is Mick Jagger considered a hero to you? I hate to say it but you should've known perhaps. I suppose that means you won't be getting the DVD then.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home