Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: March 21, 2012 15:09

the UK vinyl edition from the 70's usally sell around 30/40 euros.

here is a japanese edition from the mid 80's. it's in mint condition, maybe I played it once.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 21, 2012 15:48

LiveAtHidepark

here is a japanese edition from the mid 80's. it's in mint condition, maybe I played it once.

Beautiful! I haven't gotten ANY vinyl version of this yet.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 21, 2012 15:55

This is my copy of JouJouka witch was originally entitled "Brian Jones Plays With The Pipes Of Pan At Joujouka", corrected to "presents" with a sticker. Very first pressing. Labels says 'plays'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-21 15:59 by steffiestones.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 21, 2012 20:57

treaclefingers
...and why there aren't more on ebay?

ebay
winking smiley

HMN

Date: March 21, 2012 22:19

Honestman
treaclefingers
...and why there aren't more on ebay?

ebay
winking smiley

Yes I know there are a few on EBAY Honestman, just not too many and far fewer than vinyl copies.

Interesting though, this looks like a 'Japanese deluxe' set, which is different yet again to what I have, and the two other versions previously identified. If so, this is the 4th version of this. Wild.

Date: March 22, 2012 09:51

nice little single I received yesterday. I don't know if it's rare or not.
the record is in excellent condition, audio is clear with only a few light crackles. it comes in a standard Immediate sleeve.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 22, 2012 10:07

Any sleeve on that nice little single? It would have been something to be a owner of this one already 1965 with a song being originally released 1976...

what's the flip-side?

2 1 2 0

Date: March 22, 2012 10:35

Come On
Any sleeve on that nice little single? It would have been something to be a owner of this one already 1965 with a song being originally released 1976...

what's the flip-side?

as you can see, Wastin' Time is the B-side

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-22 10:37 by LiveAtHidepark.

Date: March 24, 2012 14:16

Satanic Majesties UK - 3D cover - real mono mix (see matrix) with different opening bells on The Lantern

To Jan Richards :
please, look lable side 1 : Bill Wyman in small letters, I haven't seen this lable variation on your site. Or maybe I missed it ?
if you want more informations about this release, feel free to ask.

Date: March 24, 2012 15:29

LiveAtHidepark
Satanic Majesties UK - 3D cover - real mono mix (see matrix) with different opening bells on The Lantern

To Jan Richards :
please, look lable side 1 : Bill Wyman in small letters, I haven't seen this lable variation on your site. Or maybe I missed it ?
if you want more informations about this release, feel free to ask.

Nice...my matrices on this one are ARL-8126-T2-3K and ARL-8127-T2-3K.

Sadly, more like VG condition for my vinyl, although the sleeve and bag are pretty nice. Are you saying my mono copy isn't true mono...more like a stereo folddown or something? Why would they do that?

Date: March 24, 2012 16:17

treaclefingers

Sadly, more like VG condition for my vinyl, although the sleeve and bag are pretty nice. Are you saying my mono copy isn't true mono...more like a stereo folddown or something? Why would they do that?

yes, your record is made from a stereo mix reduced to a mono mix.

follow this link, a reference for UK decca LP's.

[stonesondecca.com]

>>>>>>>> informations from Jan Richards site : >>>>>>>>>>

Both Mono and Stereo LP's can be found with grooved and non grooved labels. This indicates that mono LP's were pressed up to the end on the 60's. No other differences are existing. Satanic was the last Stones LP on Decca to have the grooved label

True Mono and fold down from Stereo to Mono, two different mixes existing

The mono LP of Satanic is existing in two different versions. The original master tape was mixed two times, the first one was used for mono records only and the second one was used both for mono and stereo records. The two mixes used for pressing mono records can be identified by the matrix number

The first mix that was used on mono records has the following matrix number:

ARL-8126-1P on side one and ARL-8127-P1 on side two

The second mix that was used on later mono records and on all stereo records has:

Mono: ARL-8126-T2-2K for side one and ARL-8127-T2-2K for side two

Stereo: ZAL-8126-T2-5K for side one and ZAL-8127-T2-5K for side two

The last two digits may change from one record to another, the letter is identifying the person who cut the original Master Laquer, also called acetate. The last number before the letter indicates how many times Mr K has recut a new Master Laquer. The key indicator on Satanic is the T2. Decca used to identify a new mix by adding the code T2 and Satanic is the only LP that has been cut and pressed from two different mixes and where it is possible to confirm this through the matrix numbers. This way of working was common on 7” single records, they had T1 indicated that it was Take 1 of the title. If the producer rejected the take he would remix the track and then it become Take 2.

A LP that do not have the T2 in the full matrix numbers is a true mono mix. If the LP has the T2 code, then it is basically a stereo mix that has been folded down to one channel for mono sound. You can actually hear the difference in between a “non T2” true mono pressing and a T2 stereo fold down to mono pressing. Take the song “The Lantern” for example, there is a bell tolling in the beginning of the song:

A true mono record has the bell tolling three times befor the music starts (matrix ARL-8127-??)

A fold down from stereo to mono AND a real stereo LP has the bell tolling two times before the music starts. (matrix ARL or ZAL-8127-T2-??)

There may also be other differences on the sound.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Date: March 24, 2012 16:23

LiveAtHidepark
treaclefingers

yes, your record is made from a stereo mix reduced to a mono mix.

follow this link, a reference for UK decca LP's.

[stonesondecca.com]

>>>>>>>> informations from Jan Richards site : >>>>>>>>>>

Both Mono and Stereo LP's can be found with grooved and non grooved labels. This indicates that mono LP's were pressed up to the end on the 60's. No other differences are existing. Satanic was the last Stones LP on Decca to have the grooved label

True Mono and fold down from Stereo to Mono, two different mixes existing

The mono LP of Satanic is existing in two different versions. The original master tape was mixed two times, the first one was used for mono records only and the second one was used both for mono and stereo records. The two mixes used for pressing mono records can be identified by the matrix number

The first mix that was used on mono records has the following matrix number:

The second mix that was used on later mono records and on all stereo records has:

Stereo: ZAL-8126-T2-5K for side one and ZAL-8127-T2-5K for side two

The last two digits may change from one record to another, the letter is identifying the person who cut the original Master Laquer, also called acetate. The last number before the letter indicates how many times Mr K has recut a new Master Laquer. The key indicator on Satanic is the T2. Decca used to identify a new mix by adding the code T2 and Satanic is the only LP that has been cut and pressed from two different mixes and where it is possible to confirm this through the matrix numbers. This way of working was common on 7” single records, they had T1 indicated that it was Take 1 of the title. If the producer rejected the take he would remix the track and then it become Take 2.

A LP that do not have the T2 in the full matrix numbers is a true mono mix. If the LP has the T2 code, then it is basically a stereo mix that has been folded down to one channel for mono sound. You can actually hear the difference in between a “non T2” true mono pressing and a T2 stereo fold down to mono pressing. Take the song “The Lantern” for example, there is a bell tolling in the beginning of the song:

A true mono record has the bell tolling three times befor the music starts (matrix ARL-8127-??)

A fold down from stereo to mono AND a real stereo LP has the bell tolling two times before the music starts. (matrix ARL or ZAL-8127-T2-??)

There may also be other differences on the sound.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for posting that, and thanks to Jan as well. Fascinating. For me, the question left unanswered is...WHY the hell did they feel the need to fold down the stereo mix to mono on later cuts, when they already had the original mono mix?

Riddle me that batman!

Date: March 24, 2012 16:34

treaclefingers

Thanks for posting that, and thanks to Jan as well. Fascinating. For me, the question left unanswered is...WHY the hell did they feel the need to fold down the stereo mix to mono on later cuts, when they already had the original mono mix?

Riddle me that batman!

I don't know, but MAYBE Decca wanted to repress mono LP's, needed a new laquer, but couldn't locate the original real mono master tape mix, so they decided to fold down the stereo mix ?

Maybe somebody will help us ?

Jan ?

and yes, this site is fascinating. I always refer to this site before buying a UK Decca pre-1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-24 16:39 by LiveAtHidepark.

Date: March 24, 2012 17:05

LiveAtHidepark
treaclefingers

Riddle me that batman!

I don't know, but MAYBE Decca wanted to repress mono LP's, needed a new laquer, but couldn't locate the original real mono master tape mix, so they decided to fold down the stereo mix ?

Jan ?

and yes, this site is fascinating. I always refer to this site before buying a UK Decca pre-1969.

That seems like a reasonable explanation, but isn't that ridiculous? Their biggest act and they don't keep the original masters vaulted under lock and key?

Date: March 24, 2012 17:26

treaclefingers

That seems like a reasonable explanation, but isn't that ridiculous? Their biggest act and they don't keep the original masters vaulted under lock and key?

you know, sometimes strange things happened.

on the mega-RSR-single-box released last year, nobody at RSR noticed that "I Think i'm Going Mad" have a big mastering default, nobody never ever listened back to the digital transfer before the final release.

It's a real shame.

Nobody at CBS listened back to the CBS vinyl version of LP "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" wich is unlistenable, especially "Luxury".

Date: March 24, 2012 18:22

LiveAtHidepark
treaclefingers

you know, sometimes strange things happened.

on the mega-RSR-single-box released last year, nobody at RSR noticed that "I Think i'm Going Mad" have a big mastering default, nobody never ever listened back to the digital transfer before the final release.

It's a real shame.

Nobody at CBS listened back to the CBS vinyl version of LP "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" wich is unlistenable, especially "Luxury".

I 'spose your right...that would also explain the choice of "Let's Work" for lead single off of Primitive Cool...no one listened to it first!!

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: March 25, 2012 00:01

LiveAtHidepark
treaclefingers

Riddle me that batman!

Jan ?

Thanks for the new Satanic label version LiveAtHidepark smiling smiley Added to my page.

I have no idea why Decca choosed to do a new mix for the mono version. I know one of the engineers who used to work at Decca's matrix cutting room in the 60's but he did not know either

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 27, 2012 13:21

treaclefingers
LiveAtHidepark

Treacle , found one on ebay if you're interested .

[www.ebay.com]

Date: March 27, 2012 14:59

boston2006
treaclefingers
LiveAtHidepark

Treacle , found one on ebay if you're interested .

[www.ebay.com]

Thanks Boston!

Posted by: genco ()
Date: March 27, 2012 16:32

Hello,
Sorry if my question is very simple.....

How do you know if a vinyl is a First Pressing? What's difference with next pressings?

And talking about the matrix ....what does matrix number mean?
is always the same number in all editions of a vinyl (firts, second, pressings)

Thank you.... and I hope you understand me.... english is no my language.

Date: March 28, 2012 02:36

genco
Hello,
Sorry if my question is very simple.....

How do you know if a vinyl is a First Pressing? What's difference with next pressings?

And talking about the matrix ....what does matrix number mean?
is always the same number in all editions of a vinyl (firts, second, pressings)

Thank you.... and I hope you understand me.... english is no my language.

The matrix number is like a code that describes where/when/who was responsible for the pressing. It will generally change with each subsequent pressing.

The only way to know if a vinyl is a first pressing, is to know what the matrix numbers are for that first pressing. Because they differ from album to album you need to research that out, ie on the web. Jan's site has a lot more info on this.

However, here is an example, which I just copied from a post above this one as refers to Their Satanic Majesties Request:

"The first mix that was used on mono records has the following matrix number:

Stereo: ZAL-8126-T2-5K for side one and ZAL-8127-T2-5K for side two"

and as a further point, my mono copy has ARL-8126-T2-3K for side one and ARL-8127-T2-3K for side two, so as you can see, probably a slightly later pressing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-28 04:58 by treaclefingers.

Date: March 28, 2012 05:02

I have a question for the 'DECCAists' out there.

All through the 60's whether unboxed or boxed decca labels, you always had a red label for a mono pressing and a dark blue label for a stereo pressing....EXCEPT for Big Hits, High Tide and Green Grass, and Their Satanic Majesties Request.

For those, it is a light blue label for MONO, and a GREEN label for stereo.

Does anyone know why that was done? In each case, they followed back to the regular red/dark blue pattern.

What gives?

Date: March 28, 2012 09:54

Hi treaclefingers

Many thanks.... Today I went to [www.stonesvikings.com] message board and jan site and there is a lot of information about.

Thank you for you information

Date: March 28, 2012 10:09

treaclefingers

All through the 60's whether unboxed or boxed decca labels, you always had a red label for a mono pressing and a dark blue label for a stereo pressing....EXCEPT for Big Hits, High Tide and Green Grass, and Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Does anyone know why that was done? In each case, they followed back to the regular red/dark blue pattern.

What gives?

I guess for the psychedelic thing....but i can be wrong offcourse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-28 10:10 by steffiestones.

Date: March 28, 2012 14:19

I bought this acetate in a record fair in Barcelona 15 years ago. I spent 100 euros.
I was very happy, but a friend of mine told me that is a fake.
Whay do you think?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 28, 2012 15:40

Interesting stuff regarding Their Satanic Majesties Request mono mixes. So that means there are 3 mono mixes? 1st UK, 1st USA, then stereo foldown?

Are there any differences between the 1st UK and 1st USA mono mixes?

Date: March 28, 2012 15:48

His Majesty
Interesting stuff regarding Their Satanic Majesties Request mono mixes. So that means there are 3 mono mixes? 1st UK, 1st USA, then stereo foldown?

Are there any differences between the 1st UK and 1st USA mono mixes?

I've never heard of any differences in the mixes between US/UK per se, just that the DECCA vinyls are of higher quality.

Interesting question though because we don't really have a reason as to why they subsequently went with a stereo fold-down. Could that mean that the original mono master is no longer in existence?

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: March 28, 2012 23:39

treaclefingers

What gives?

I do not know the reason for this. The TXL for mono and TXS for stereo recordings was not a very big serie at Decca. As per my information only about 20 LP's was ever issued in the stereo serie, don't have the list of the mono LP's. Of these only the two Stones LP's are from the 60's and the rest of them are from the 70's. Artists like Savoy Brown, Thin Lizzy, Camel and Moody Blues can be found on TXS.

Decca used hundreds of prefix letter combinations from the 50's and to the late 70's. Music categories were usually grouped by the prefix. But the reason for the TXL and TXS serie I do not know

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 29, 2012 20:04

They're getting expensive !!

It was either this or eat this week , you know what I chose !

Date: March 29, 2012 20:46

I love this Decca demo's!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home