Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566
Current Page: 66 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2023 01:51

stonesstein
Treacle, never got that email from you about working a deal for some US 7" promos & PS.

Also, please email me your Discogs moniker so I can see what all you have.

Hey SS thanks for your note. I don't think I have your email any more and I see it's hidden on your profile.

Date: May 11, 2024 17:04

For those vinylophiles out there...I was wondering what you would rank as the "RAREST" in your collection, and also what is the most "VALUABLE" in your collection, let's say as determined by DISCOGS.

For me, I believe the rarest is the US vinyl single with picture sleeve of "Heart of Stone".
[www.discogs.com]

It's not necessarily the most valuable as determined by DISCOGS which I don't completely understand. The Satisfaction single with picture sleeve is actually listed as "more valuable" but I know it's not rarer:

[www.discogs.com]

The most "valuable" was the Rolling Stones 2016 mono vinyl boxset
[www.discogs.com]

though it's taken a hit, presumable because of the release of the 2023 mono coloured vinyl boxset.
[www.discogs.com]

So now it's the 1964-69 ABKCO boxset.
[www.discogs.com]

If however we're talking just regular releases, for my collection this DECCA MONO TSMR appears to be the most valuable:
[www.discogs.com]

ALSO, I do understand ratings of the condition are critical to the price, and I'm just going by the "highest price" in the last 10 sales as per DISCOGS.

Anyway...just nerding out on a Saturday morning days before SEATTLE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-11 17:06 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: May 11, 2024 19:37

DISCOGS is ok for mediocre collections. Usually, top collection include records that DISCOGS ignores. On top of that, listings on DISCOGS are approximate and this means that what makes a record rare/valuable is not underlined. DISCOGS is ok only for low-profile Collectors, IMO.

Date: May 12, 2024 07:05

1963luca0
DISCOGS is ok for mediocre collections. Usually, top collection include records that DISCOGS ignores. On top of that, listings on DISCOGS are approximate and this means that what makes a record rare/valuable is not underlined. DISCOGS is ok only for low-profile Collectors, IMO.[/quote

There's probably a way to say what you wanted to say, and not have been quite so dismissive.

Date: May 12, 2024 12:22

Not dismissive at all: I do appreciate DISCOGS as it helps, sometimes. But when one comes to details and comments he has to face a lot of mistakes. If one collects hi-end, DISCOGS can’t be his bible. On the contrary, Collectors who don’t care about details will feel at home.
I confirm that true rarities are not on DISCOGS. As well as for outtakes on tape, there’s an inner circle of record Collectors of The Rolling Stones where co-sharing is limited and does not include DISCOGS. I myself love to share my know-how. My collection is open to all those who visit Milan and sharing info is the main goal of the reference books I publish.
That said, every Collector sets his own level. When one adopts DISCOGS has standard he sets himself quite low, IMO.
On top of that, prices reported by DISCOGS are totally useless.
They don’t tell if the copy sold for Euro 39 was M/M, if it has all the due freebies etc etc
Should one Collector stick to these prices?
Should he value his own collection on these uncertain basis?
Not my cup of coffee…

Date: May 12, 2024 15:29

1963luca0
Not dismissive at all: I do appreciate DISCOGS as it helps, sometimes. But when one comes to details and comments he has to face a lot of mistakes. If one collects hi-end, DISCOGS can’t be his bible. On the contrary, Collectors who don’t care about details will feel at home.
I confirm that true rarities are not on DISCOGS. As well as for outtakes on tape, there’s an inner circle of record Collectors of The Rolling Stones where co-sharing is limited and does not include DISCOGS. I myself love to share my know-how. My collection is open to all those who visit Milan and sharing info is the main goal of the reference books I publish.
That said, every Collector sets his own level. When one adopts DISCOGS has standard he sets himself quite low, IMO.
On top of that, prices reported by DISCOGS are totally useless.
They don’t tell if the copy sold for Euro 39 was M/M, if it has all the due freebies etc etc
Should one Collector stick to these prices?
Should he value his own collection on these uncertain basis?
Not my cup of coffee…

I stand corrected! I guess you are not able to make your point without being dismissive.

You might consider sharing the wisdom you have rather than simply trample on the post I started to initiate conversation...what then are the alternative sites with more detail, more accurate numbers? Your response simply flames DISCOGS and then proceeds into a vague description of better things to rate and value your collection.

Well what are they then? Speak up man, and let's pretend we're not visiting you in person in Milan.

Date: May 12, 2024 15:54

No problem. I propose you to stand correct and stick to what you please most.
My knowledge is already available to those who care: web sites are not the only possible way to access to know-how.
That said, enjoy your time and DISCOGS.
Bye,

Date: May 12, 2024 16:27

1963luca0
No problem. I propose you to stand correct and stick to what you please most.
My knowledge is already available to those who care: web sites are not the only possible way to access to know-how.
That said, enjoy your time and DISCOGS.
Bye,

LOL. I'm not sure why you decided to offer your opinion other than just to dismiss DISCOGS?

I'm not disputing there may not be better resources, but other than shoot down the one that I initiated the conversation with, (and I even say, "let's say DISCOGS" - thereby not suggesting it's the definitive choice), you don't offer any alternatives.

You come off sounding a bit aloof. Perhaps that wasn't your intention but from my opinion you haven't been helpful.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566
Current Page: 66 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home