Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: July 16, 2012 20:25

treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
TooTough
boston2006
Question ??

Been seeing this one pop up on ebay .. Is it Legit ?

Advertised as Rolling Stones Let It Bleed Rare German Promo LP Sealed

Legit album. Check this page if it´s a fake (esp. the matrix):
[www.vinylstones.org]

Wow...very cool link, thanks for that. Didn't realize that the album was available in Germany PRIOR to the sleeve being completed. Love to know the story behind that one!

The story behind it as far as I can tell - corrections are more than welcome !

German DECCA used British sleeves a few times and for Throught The Past & Let It Bleed they put out Express-Ausgaben (express releases).

1) Their Satanic Majesties Request:
German DECCA used both - with and without 3D-image - sleeves from the UK before they finally had a fold-out sleeve ready without the 3D-image. In fact I have a 3rd variation with the 3D-image glued upside down but that one's rather a "misprint".

2) Through The Past Darkly
released with an Express-artwork to be on time with the release date before the lay-out sketch was available

3) Let It Bleed
same as above

4) Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
the most interesting one - the 1st edition was made in England (both, cover and LP) but with the GERMAN order-number.
That's what I wrote about it on my web-site:

Because of problems in the German record-plant Nortorf English DECCA
was assigned to produce 2,000 records and covers for the German market.
Both, the cover and the labels come with the German order-number and
with the GEMA-imprint on the labels. This 2,000 copies were sold 2 weeks
prior to the very first original German release. see here: [www.vinylstones.org]

Thanks for that...at what point did they switch to the white DECCA label for the GEMA pressings, or are the blue labels the UK ones you referenced?

Hm, I'm not sure if I understand your question but the blue lables are the UK ones, yes. There was no "switch" to white labels on German DECCA, white labels has always been trade samples, like for example Angie here [www.vinylstones.org]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2012 20:33

silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
TooTough
boston2006
Question ??

[www.vinylstones.org]

Wow...very cool link, thanks for that. Didn't realize that the album was available in Germany PRIOR to the sleeve being completed. Love to know the story behind that one!

German DECCA used British sleeves a few times and for Throught The Past & Let It Bleed they put out Express-Ausgaben (express releases).

German DECCA used both - with and without 3D-image - sleeves from the UK before they finally had a fold-out sleeve ready without the 3D-image. In fact I have a 3rd variation with the 3D-image glued upside down but that one's rather a "misprint".

released with an Express-artwork to be on time with the release date before the lay-out sketch was available

3) Let It Bleed
same as above

4) Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
the most interesting one - the 1st edition was made in England (both, cover and LP) but with the GERMAN order-number.

prior to the very first original German release. see here: [www.vinylstones.org]

Thanks for that...at what point did they switch to the white DECCA label for the GEMA pressings, or are the blue labels the UK ones you referenced?

Hm, I'm not sure if I understand your question but the blue lables are the UK ones, yes. There was no "switch" to white labels on German DECCA, white labels has always been trade samples, like for example Angie here [www.vinylstones.org]

Thanks for that example, and you sort of get where I'm going. However, I'm referring to the DECCA period, ie GYYYO and earlier, as opposed to the RSR and Atco period.

I have a white label GEMA for GYYYO for instance, which I presumed was the German release, but perhaps that was a later rerelease?

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: July 16, 2012 21:44

treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
TooTough
boston2006
Question ??

[www.vinylstones.org]

3) Let It Bleed
same as above

4) Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!

Thanks for that example, and you sort of get where I'm going. However, I'm referring to the DECCA period, ie GYYYO and earlier, as opposed to the RSR and Atco period.

I have a white label GEMA for GYYYO for instance, which I presumed was the German release, but perhaps that was a later rerelease?

Which order-numer is on your white label GYYYO - English (SKL 5065) or German (SLK 16 670-P) ? I have a white-label as well but it's an English copy with English order number and as with many (?) / all (?) British releases "GEMA" is printed on the label. In the 60's and in the 70's (from an Austrian point of view, most likely the same in Germany) imports of LPs which were already manufactured in Germany or Austria were forbidden by law. I still remember when I ordered The Rolling Stones Now! around 1976 in Vienna - when it finally arrived it was handed over to me like a bootleg, no matter that Now! was never released over here but more or less the same as No.2. But for whatever reason UK LPs were allowed and got sold heavily. Probably the reason for the GEMA-sign on all those records.

In the late 70s things changed and it was possible to buy records like Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks but still "no way" to obtain an US-copy of BB or LIB for instance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 21:45 by silkcut1978_.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 16, 2012 21:48

treaclefingers
You don't happen to have a photo of it I s'pose?

Unfortunately I don't have a picture. I saw it at a record fair. Also, the songs were hand written on the label. Only the top had factory print with the usual small lines around the edge of the label.

Date: July 17, 2012 08:24

frankotero
treaclefingers

Unfortunately I don't have a picture. I saw it at a record fair. Also, the songs were hand written on the label. Only the top had factory print with the usual small lines around the edge of the label.

so not even a promo, but a test pressing or something. Very cool, what did they want for it?

Date: July 17, 2012 08:39

silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
TooTough
boston2006
Question ??

[www.vinylstones.org]

3) Let It Bleed
same as above

4) Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!

Which order-numer is on your white label GYYYO - English (SKL 5065) or German (SLK 16 670-P) ? I have a white-label as well but it's an English copy with English order number and as with many (?) / all (?) British releases "GEMA" is printed on the label. In the 60's and in the 70's (from an Austrian point of view, most likely the same in Germany) imports of LPs which were already manufactured in Germany or Austria were forbidden by law. I still remember when I ordered The Rolling Stones Now! around 1976 in Vienna - when it finally arrived it was handed over to me like a bootleg, no matter that Now! was never released over here but more or less the same as No.2. But for whatever reason UK LPs were allowed and got sold heavily. Probably the reason for the GEMA-sign on all those records.

In the late 70s things changed and it was possible to buy records like Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks but still "no way" to obtain an US-copy of BB or LIB for instance.

I will check it out silkcut and get back to you.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 17, 2012 10:01

treaclefingers

frankotero

treaclefingers

so not even a promo, but a test pressing or something. Very cool, what did they want for it?

300 euros. I should hope it's great.

Date: July 23, 2012 17:36

treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
TooTough
boston2006
Question ??

[www.vinylstones.org]

3) Let It Bleed
same as above

4) Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!

I will check it out silkcut and get back to you.

Sorry it took me a bit of time, I forgot I was going to get you the number!

OK, like I said, DECCA white label, and the catalogue number is SKL 5065, so UK presumably. But with that said, it does say GEMA on the left side of the label. I've previously posted this, but here it is again:

Don't know if I mentioned, but mine is Mick Taylor autographed:

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: July 24, 2012 01:30

All UK pressed Ya Ya's has GEMA on both blue and white labels. The white label LP you have is a UK pressed LP.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 26, 2012 12:25

Nice misspress: Made in the shade without the tongue logo.

Date: July 26, 2012 17:43

steffiestones

I should know this, but when did they switch to the CUN prefix on the catalogue number from the COC?

Any additional value to this do you figure or just an interesting curio?

Date: July 26, 2012 17:44

Jan Richards
All UK pressed Ya Ya's has GEMA on both blue and white labels. The white label LP you have is a UK pressed LP.

Thanks for that Jan....so does that mean UK pressed, for UK market, German market, or export market generally?

Date: July 26, 2012 18:37

treaclefingers
steffiestones

I should know this, but when did they switch to the CUN prefix on the catalogue number from the COC?

Any additional value to this do you figure or just an interesting curio?

No value i guess, just an interesting curio.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 1, 2012 23:00

Does any one knows if this record is rare? bit strange as I thought I knew all the Dutch realeases but I don't know this one.
This one seems to be released in 1968...
I saw it to day in a record shop.........
[vinylstockholm.blogspot.nl]

Date: August 1, 2012 23:24

NICOS
Does any one knows if this record is rare? bit strange as I thought I knew all the Dutch realeases but I don't know this one.

Beautiful...I hope you bought it!

Date: August 1, 2012 23:36

treaclefingers
NICOS

No I didn't confused smiley....I think I go back tomorrow 10 Euro.
I visit 2 record shops in my home town today one of them I think got 20 stones records where I saw this one and they other shop had about 100 records and I saw extremely rare boots one I remember from the early 70's (have to search the picture) and I saw this one for 80 Euros (nice 3D cover picture)

[www.ebay.com]

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: August 2, 2012 01:48

treaclefingers
NICOS

Nice find ... be sure to add it to your collection !!

( p.s. ,,,, good price also ! winking smiley )

Date: August 2, 2012 01:50

boston2006
treaclefingers
NICOS

Nice find ... be sure to add it to your collection !!

( p.s. ,,,, good price also ! winking smiley )

Agreed, if I knew where you were located, I'd buy it from under you!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 2, 2012 02:06

If you ever visit Stockholm there is a street, St:Eriksgatan (gata=street), where there are many vinyl stores. I used to go there in the 90s whenever I was in Stockholm, spending a couple of hours searching for Stones boots. These were the days before internet. The stores all still there though. And there are some in Gamla Stan (Old Town) and on Söder (South, Sthlm) too. The prices are usually very decent.

Date: August 2, 2012 02:12

Stoneage
If you ever visit Stockholm there is a street, St:Eriksgatan (gata=street), where there are many vinyl stores. I used to go there in the 90s whenever I was in Stockholm, spending a couple of hours searching for Stones boots. These were the days before internet. The stores all still there though. And there are some in Gamla Stan (Old Town) and on Söder (South, Sthlm) too. The prices are usually very decent.

Reminds me of the times that I used to peruse the streets of Cambridge , Ma ( Harvard Square ) to find obscure recordings . I bought a US mono 3 - D Satanic Majesties Request In the '70's for about $ 50.00 . It was a great find before ebay was around .. LMOA

Date: August 2, 2012 10:20

boston2006
Stoneage

Reminds me of the times that I used to peruse the streets of Cambridge , Ma ( Harvard Square ) to find obscure recordings . I bought a US mono 3 - D Satanic Majesties Request In the '70's for about $ 50.00 . It was a great find before ebay was around .. LMOA

I did a LOT of ebay a few years ago...nothing quite like coming across that great bit of vinyl at a fair or a store. Still love doing that. We have a massive vinyl fair coming up next month. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Date: August 2, 2012 10:50

NICOS

This is a Belgian release of the first album i guess.

Date: August 2, 2012 10:55

steffiestones
NICOS

It's possible, but it said on the cover "Made in Holland" did you ever saw this one Steffie?

Date: August 2, 2012 10:57

NICOS
steffiestones
NICOS

It's possible, but it said on the cover "Made in Holland" did you ever saw this one Steffie?

I did see this on EBAY once before.

Date: August 2, 2012 12:16

NICOS
steffiestones
NICOS

yes, i had this one but i sold it years ago.
i think that the sleeve was made in holland for export to belgium. on my copy that i had before was mentioned on the label' made in belgium'

Date: August 2, 2012 12:35

Steffie is spot on with his explanation !!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 28, 2012 15:57

Is this rare? It's titled The Rolling Stones vol. 4 and presumably it was printed in China. It has stuff from 64-65 and it's printed on orange, semi-transparent vinyl. It has also lyrics to all the songs.

Date: August 28, 2012 16:19

franzk
Is this rare? It's titled The Rolling Stones vol. 4 and presumably it was printed in China. It has stuff from 64-65 and it's printed on orange, semi-transparent vinyl. It has also lyrics to all the songs.

I sure as hell don't have it, but I'll defer to the wiser collector's to determine whether it's rare or not.

On some level, one would have to say it's rare...question of value I guess may be more appropriate.

Date: August 28, 2012 18:34

Not China but Taiwan.
There is also a black vinyl version second press but the color version is rare.

Date: September 5, 2012 16:07

Mick jagger Let's work test pressing-promo signed on the sleeve by the man himself. Very rare!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home