Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 20, 2013 18:16

treaclefingers
midimannz
RE UNSTOPPABLE STONES - pic above. Yeah, I'm in NZ. The catalogue number is LKM6004 released 1965, red label. Rereleased 1969 and again in 1978, always in mono with Blue label and with the different covers you see on eBay. Very common to see with the Australian cover, not many of these -around 1000 printed in NZ. You are correct, it's the same from as the 5X5 EP

If the first release of this was in '65, what I find interesting is why? At a cursory glance, at least half the songs were already on album...I'm just wondering why they'd bother putting out a repackage this early?

Don't get me wrong, it's cool and I want one! Just wondering what their rationale would have been.

Our second Stones album was called 12x5 , released with the USA cover, then Unstoppable Stones. We didn't get Rolling Stones #2 LP. Decca NZ was an affiliate of Australia and possibly had a choice.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 20, 2013 18:17

midimannz
treaclefingers
midimannz
RE UNSTOPPABLE STONES - pic above. Yeah, I'm in NZ. The catalogue number is LKM6004 released 1965, red label. Rereleased 1969 and again in 1978, always in mono with Blue label and with the different covers you see on eBay. Very common to see with the Australian cover, not many of these -around 1000 printed in NZ. You are correct, it's the same from as the 5X5 EP

If the first release of this was in '65, what I find interesting is why? At a cursory glance, at least half the songs were already on album...I'm just wondering why they'd bother putting out a repackage this early?

Don't get me wrong, it's cool and I want one! Just wondering what their rationale would have been.

Our second Stones album was called 12x5 , released with the USA cover, then Unstoppable Stones. We didn't get Rolling Stones #2 LP. Decca NZ was an affiliate of Australia and possibly had a choice.

OK thx, so does that mean that NOW didn't a release in '65?

Date: January 20, 2013 20:53

That's right, NOW was not released here back in 1965.

We also got Decembers Children with more or less the same cover as USA. It was the first LP to be originally issued with orange unboxed Decca labels. The NZ edition of this original US compilation is also very rare, since it was never repressed and deleted after the 1960's. This LP was also not available in Australia.

Taken from Rolling Stones Worldwide III by Chistoph Maus hardback book

I have mint copies of this one too.

Date: January 20, 2013 22:27

midimannz

We also got Decembers Children with more or less the same cover as USA. It was the first LP to be originally issued with orange unboxed Decca labels. The NZ edition of this original US compilation is also very rare, since it was never repressed and deleted after the 1960's. This LP was also not available in Australia.

Thanks, I'm getting a bit of an education here on the 'down under' stones, thanks for indulging me.

So do you have the original Under My Thumb/Route 66, 45 release, and do you know why they released that as a single in your neighbourhood, but nowhere else (at least I think nowhere else!)?

Date: January 21, 2013 09:02

treaclefingers
midimannz

Thanks, I'm getting a bit of an education here on the 'down under' stones, thanks for indulging me.

So do you have the original Under My Thumb/Route 66, 45 release, and do you know why they released that as a single in your neighbourhood, but nowhere else (at least I think nowhere else!)?

I have many original 45s from NZ, not that one. I DO have 'If I Was a dancer Promo' copy

Date: January 21, 2013 10:28

treaclefingers
midimannz

We did not get Under My Thumb/ Route 66 on 45 in NZ.

Date: January 22, 2013 01:41

midimannz
treaclefingers
midimannz

We did not get Under My Thumb/ Route 66 on 45 in NZ.

I think this is the one we're talking about...

[www.ebay.com]

Date: January 22, 2013 08:35

Ah, it's Australian! Released in November 1964. An EP Mona/Come On/I want to be loved/ Route 66 was issued in Australia and was based on the first two uk singles. The Not Fade Away EP is a rare NZ pressing too (Australia, well here in New Zealand we're not part of that country - although I'd LOVE to be spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-22 10:14 by midimannz.

Date: January 22, 2013 16:35

Yes, I knew it was Australian, but I thought maybe they would have done a NZ release as well...and midimannz, because you brought it up....If I Had A Dancing Troup:

All in smashingly good shape, although one sadly has a name stamp on it.

Date: January 23, 2013 02:08

. This one?

Date: January 23, 2013 02:09

. Front cover

Date: January 23, 2013 02:34

midimannz
. Front cover

LOVELY!

Never seen that one, thanks for posting! Same song, definitely not the same cover though. Very nice!

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: February 2, 2013 12:46

3 different Live'rs.
- Red stamped black vinyl Lurch label with TMOQ sticker (first stones boot ever).
- Blue stamped red vinyl sideway pig label TMOQ.
- Alternate stamp green vinyl TMOQ.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 2, 2013 13:05

midimannz
. Front cover

Can you post the matrix number?

Date: February 2, 2013 21:06

RSP1. Each side is engraved also RSP 1A. And RSP 1B

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 3, 2013 05:03

- The Black Box -

I don't remember when I bought this.

Date: February 3, 2013 20:13

thx Toru...here is some additional info in it:

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

The Black Box

The "Black Box" title dates back to the working title and concept of "Metamorphosis" and Bill Wyman's original picks for the record which were:

Bright Lights Big City/Cops and Robbers/I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys/Little Red Rooster (Live)/Down The Road Apiece (Live)/Don't Lie To Me/If You Let Me/Godzi/Panama Powder Room/Gold Painted Nails/Fannie Mae/Down In The Bottom

This information is from the book: "The Rolling Stones an illustrated record by Roy Carr", 1976 (two of the titles have been corrected). Down The Road Apiece is listed as a live track, but it's most likely from the BBC "Top of The Pops" broadcast on March 4, 1965. Godzi & Panama Powder Room are not confirmed to exist, but may be from the 1966 time frame and could be instrumentals from various "Between The Buttons" sessions. Gold Painted Nails is an instrumental from the Satanic Majesties sessions.

The Black Box title was picked-up by some enterprising types who used it on 70's vinyl releases that consisted of three LP's in none other than a black box. The label was Rolling Stones Vinyl Product (RSVP), and the contents included reissues of "Gravestones", "Rape of The Vaults", and "Beautiful Delilah" (also reissued on the Dragonfly record label). The first two titles were originally rubber stamped RSVP releases and third was a copy of an early Trade Mark of Quality release. Arguably a stronger release than the Abkco issue. No Oldham orchestra tracks on these discs!

"The Black Box"

Box Set LP Edition from 1978

LP 1: 1835 A/B & RS-A/B These are the matrix numbers for TMoQ's "Beautiful Delilah"
S1 - Memphis Tennessee/Roll Over Beethoven/Down In The Bottom/You Can Make It If You Try/Route 66/Confessin' The Blues/Down The Road Apiece/High Heeled Sneakers/Beautiful Delilah
S2 - Carol/I Just Wanna Make Love To You/The Spider And The Fly/Cry To Me/Fanny Mae/Walking The Dog/Jumpin' Jack Flash (Promo Video Version)

LP 2: RSVP 002 A/B This is the matrix number for "Rape Of The Vaults"
S1 - Ain't That Loving You Baby/Mona/Don't Lie To Me/If You Need Me/Oh Baby We Got A Good Thing Going/It's All Over Now/Little Red Rooster/The Last Time
S2 - It Should Be You/Play With Fire/Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/You Better Move On/Bye Bye Johnny/Beautiful Delilah/Hey Crawdaddy

LP 3: RSVP-003-A/B This is the matrix number for "Gravestones"
S1 - All Down The Line/Medley/CS Blues/Brown Sugar(with Clapton)/Slave (aka Black & Blue Jam)/Too Many Cooks
S2 - Exile On Main St. Blues/Silver Train/Parachute Woman/You Can't Always Get What You Want/Cherry Oh Baby/Ruby Tuesday/Sure The One You Need

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: February 5, 2013 00:43

Rarely seen rather than rare I'm sure...just picked this up...any information gratefully received!!
Apologies - only have access to 'small' scanner currently
Cheers cool smiley

Date: February 5, 2013 02:00

Looks like some sort of 'post cold war' Russian issue.

I've seen them several times on EBAY.

What I'd like to know is why'd they go with a different cover....I mean if the crotch shot was a problem, why didn't they just go wit a severed hand inside a can of treacle.

That one's a proven winner!

Date: February 5, 2013 02:55

treaclefingers

What I'd like to know is why'd they go with a different cover....I mean if the crotch shot was a problem, why didn't they just go wit a severed hand inside a can of treacle.

Wanted to redress the balance with the female form?
Searched with the right criteria, this time...Sticky Fingers, Special St. Petersburg Edition, © 1992 Aufon, St. Petersburg
[991.com]
[www.ebay.com]

Happy that I got a relative bargain! Excellent condition, no insert, just plain paper cover for LP.

Date: February 5, 2013 03:15

Zagalo
treaclefingers

Wanted to redress the balance with the female form?
Searched with the right criteria, this time...Sticky Fingers, Special St. Petersburg Edition, © 1992 Aufon, St. Petersburg
[991.com]
[www.ebay.com]

Happy that I got a relative bargain! Excellent condition, no insert, just plain paper cover for LP.

Yes, that's a bit pricey. I'll have to get that at some point on an EBAY deal, if Boston 2006 or Steffiestones don't outbid me!

Date: February 6, 2013 07:57

OK, I don't own this puppy, but would like to...Stef, Boston anyone?:

The alternate (original?) US London Pressing of Big Hits, (High Tide and Green Grass)

Notice the unique lettering on the front...highly desired, highly sought after, highly rare, and highly expensive....look at what it sold for a few years ago. I remember only once seeing this on EBAY:

[www.popsike.com]

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 6, 2013 10:51

treaclefingers
Zagalo

Yes, that's a bit pricey. I'll have to get that at some point on an EBAY deal, if Boston 2006 or Steffiestones don't outbid me!

Think I have a couple of those. Not signed though. Will look, Treacle.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 6, 2013 11:27

These Soviet bootlegs are awful. But some of the translations are really funny - Brown Sugar as Chocolate >grinning smiley<

Date: February 6, 2013 11:34

franzk
These Soviet bootlegs are awful. But some of the translations are really funny - Brown Sugar as Chocolate >grinning smiley<

Awful as in 'sound quality'? I think the novelty factor is high, so unless the sound quality is horrible, I might still get one.
For that matter, you're kind of really only buying it for the cover, let's face it!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 6, 2013 13:02

I don't know how it sounds like but all Soviet-pressed records look awful to me. They used to press lots of these and overflow Eastern Europe markets with them. These were bootlegs pressed without any consent of a band. To me they are worthless. And look awful.

Date: February 6, 2013 17:17

Just a bit of fun for the 'small time' vinyl collectors amongst us - and it sounds very good...
...maybe not quite a crystal clear as an 'original' but not far short - and it looks interesting and different! smiling smiley

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 6, 2013 17:44

treaclefingers

The alternate (original?) US London Pressing of Big Hits, (High Tide and Green Grass)

Notice the unique lettering on the front...highly desired, highly sought after, highly rare, and highly expensive....look at what it sold for a few years ago. I remember only once seeing this on EBAY:

[www.popsike.com]

I've never seen this before !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-06 17:44 by boston2006.

Date: February 6, 2013 18:02

boston2006
treaclefingers

[www.popsike.com]

I've never seen this before !

Yeah, it's a super rare one! You've got your SFM US pic sleeve, Beast pic sleeve, the rumoured but never seen Poison Ivy/Fortune Teller DECCA 45, The Promotional Album and this.

I think that is the big 5.

Anyone else care to opine?

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: February 6, 2013 18:07

Wasnt there some sort of TSMR pink border cover that has never or rarely been seen?

No idea...seems like I read something about it.

Undercover1

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home