Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Keith to Appear on Jimmy Fallon Show
Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: May 13, 2011 12:07

Rockman
that silly fake interview from '78

Hey that's the one with Norman Gunston ain't it ?....

Like Gunstan use ta stick cig-papers on his dial ta make it
look like he'd sliced himself up while shavin' so Keef was only
givin' him back some stick with the Let It Bleed comment....

Those old Gunston interviews were classics and many of those people just
didn't get him esp the Americans....He was like an Aussie Ali G but like 30 years ahead ......

If ya sniff around Youtube you'll find a few of Gunston's interviews with different celebrities....
The one with Colonel Tom Parker was classic ...... It's a wonder Gunston didn't get wacked after it

classic stuff rockman

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 13, 2011 12:10

Rockman
Hey that's the one with Norman Gunston ain't it ?

Great video. LOL

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 13, 2011 12:59

a French guy did similar things a few years ago

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 13, 2011 15:17

71Tele
Stoneage
What about journalistic ethics: How can it be acceptable that celebs visits shows just to sell stuff? If that happened here in Sweden people would complain about it. It's basically corruption. A bit like the old Payola system.

Journalistic ethics? This is a talk show, not journalism. People have been appearing on talk shows to pitch their latest film/book/project since the days of Steve Allen and Jack Paar.

Sure, there is always a reason why a show is interested in the first place: a new play, a new movie, book or whatever. But you don't have to sell it so blatantly by showing the cover of the book to the audience,telling them when it's released and then giving it away to the audience. If you mix that with subservient questions it's simply too much. At least for a British or Scandinavian audience who are used to a strong Public Service TV like SVT and BBC. Americans seems to not even notice it!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 13, 2011 17:10

CrissCrossMind
JACOB DYLAN was on with THE ROOTS - "I SHOT THE SHERIFF" Good Version. KEITH is GONE - MIA, nowhere to be found.... that's Bizarre, one of the world's biggest musicians not coming out for a jam with Bobby's son? Hmmmm.....SHOW IS OVER...

BETTER TIMES

GREAT LAUGH!!!!

Date: May 13, 2011 17:22

Funny! Fallon is a good SNL-style comedian. But why does he dress up like a CEO?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 13, 2011 19:21

Stoneage
71Tele
Stoneage
What about journalistic ethics: How can it be acceptable that celebs visits shows just to sell stuff? If that happened here in Sweden people would complain about it. It's basically corruption. A bit like the old Payola system.

Journalistic ethics? This is a talk show, not journalism. People have been appearing on talk shows to pitch their latest film/book/project since the days of Steve Allen and Jack Paar.

Sure, there is always a reason why a show is interested in the first place: a new play, a new movie, book or whatever. But you don't have to sell it so blatantly by showing the cover of the book to the audience,telling them when it's released and then giving it away to the audience. If you mix that with subservient questions it's simply too much. At least for a British or Scandinavian audience who are used to a strong Public Service TV like SVT and BBC. Americans seems to not even notice it!

He's just a musician,not a head of state.It's not like somebody needs to grill him and ask hard hitting questions. It's an entertainment show,not 60 Minutes.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:55

sweetcharmedlife
He's just a musician,not a head of state.

Are you sure ? smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 13, 2011 23:29

Like the first time on Jimmy Fallon Show, Keith is showing up to promote his book.But the first interview was better because Keith was more talkative. In the second interview Jimmy has to do most of the work. It's good to see keith, anyway.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: May 14, 2011 01:54

Ok here is my take on Keith's appearence.

1. Here is a very active artist selling his work. A. The book. B. The movie.

2. Both times Keith did something with the Winos was right before a Stones year. 88, 93...

3. Most of you crying and pessimistic fans are a bunch of idiots.

4. The Stones will play again.

5. keith should keep acting, is pretty damn good.... Mick must be jealous.

6. I think he sould ve gone to letterman.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 14, 2011 02:04

Loudei
6. I think he sould ve gone to letterman.

+1

People (including Keith himself) write Letterman off using the stereotype he created for himself 20 years ago completely unaware that he's grown into a very informed and strong interviewer in the last 10 years. He has huge respect for the Stones, and I have no doubt that had Keith gone on Letterman we would've seen an amazing two segments. Dave would've kissed Keith's ass so much before his appearance and he would've sucked it up and given Keith the room and respect he needed. And Keith would've recognized this and put his guard down and opened up.
Dave has had a variety of different people come on the show and has always his handled his interview effortlessly: Clint Eastwood, President Obama, Caroline Kennedy, Chaz Bono (regarding her recent sex change; a strong interview despite a very tricky and delicate subject to discuss on TV--a late night show no less).

What we got on Jimmy's show was a rookie Q&A exchange with Keith probably feeling extra nervous that he didn't have a net under him to ensure a good interview. It was all riding on him to carry the interview (as it is on Leno). Letterman knows how to create the recipe to get a great conversation going between him and his guests. Shame Keith will never go on Letterman.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 14, 2011 03:08

Doxa, you have such a good imagination. Whatever is presented you are able to take off on.

Have you studied much psychology? Maybe you should do more of that! winking smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 14, 2011 03:09

>People (including Keith himself) write Letterman off using the stereotype he created for himself 20 years ago completely unaware that he's grown into a very informed and strong interviewer in the last 10 years.

Yeah but when's the last time Letterman actually had a musical guest sit down for an interview? It used to be SOP in the old days, when the show had folks like Capt. Beefheart, David Byrne and Laurie Anderson on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-14 03:11 by Glam Descendant.

Date: May 14, 2011 03:12

Letterman: Isn't that the guy who has only one prepared question in his vocabulary: "How's your summer been?" and has sex with his interns? Talk about shows with no substance. Sometimes I pitty the guests who cringes in their chairs. He looks nice in a suit though.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 14, 2011 03:33

Stoneage
Letterman: Isn't that the guy who has only one prepared question in his vocabulary: "How's your summer been?" and has sex with his interns? Talk about shows with no substance. Sometimes I pity the guests who cringes in their chairs. He looks nice in a suit though.[/q

I'm not sure if Letterman is a sex monger... but that damn promo band is unnerving as shown. Let's put it this way, female guitar player is average at best; And Paul Shafer is mediocre at best. But Letterman is awesome

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 14, 2011 03:33

ohhhh, I get it now,
this is a contest to see who can say cluck cluck say the same exact thing over and over, only using different clucks to cluck say it and do it over and over, to see who clucks the most.....oooooh so it is repeating and repeating what others clucked, only using different clucks.

Now it all make sense. It seems like kind of a boring contests, but at least it makes sense now. It is like like a chicken coop, only clucking about Keith Richards instead what makes is the best egg shape or best shade of white or brown.....carry on.... you are up to 230 clucks so far, maybe you can cluck it up to 400, while never saying a new thing.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 03:48

The interview went down a treat. It made me think of Bill German's recent comment that the Stones "are decent guys." I've a lemon tree in my side yard, so if I ever meet Keith we can compare notes.

Date: May 14, 2011 04:00

To tone down my litany about Letterman: I always (well almost) watched his show when I could (don't have it on cable any more). So he must have had some substance after all. Prefered him to Leno.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 14, 2011 04:18

Doxa
I looks like Mick and Keith are finally separated in a public, too. Perhaps the popularity of LIFE and his involvement in Depp's Walt Disney movies - and Depp's public adoring of him - has given Keith finally an independency as a celebrity that does need any longer the Stones/Jagger connection (another solo/Winos album would fit the picture now as well). Like noticed here Keith didn't mention Mick or the Stones at all - I would't be surprised if Fallon (an irrating jerk, by the way) had been told that this subject will not be discussed any further.

Maybe it is calm before the storm but there have never been so quiet for years as far as Mick and Keith's co-working goes. The two seem to ignore even the existence of the other. If anyone sees anything indicating in that "interview" to a new Stones project is really a magician or a true believer.

Anyway, I found the interview dull but I never been any fan of these so called celebrity host shows (so that is just me). The paperback version of Keith's book was promoted and the Pirate movie as well. Keith told the old "we made sure that the singles never crash with the Beatles" story (that I think holds true only to one way), and gave some one-liners of nothing especially (yeah, the famous wit still exists). I'm glad the Pirate clip was shown so I don't need to see the whole awful movie just to see Keith's contribution.

- Doxa

Agree with every word you wrote here, Doxa. It's hard to imagine a more irritating, sycophantic nitwit than this Fallon clown. As an American, I'm ashamed that his show wasn't cancelled after one episode.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-14 04:29 by drewmaster.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 14, 2011 04:42

Glam Descendant
>People (including Keith himself) write Letterman off using the stereotype he created for himself 20 years ago completely unaware that he's grown into a very informed and strong interviewer in the last 10 years.

Yeah but when's the last time Letterman actually had a musical guest sit down for an interview? It used to be SOP in the old days, when the show had folks like Capt. Beefheart, David Byrne and Laurie Anderson on.
every time Tom Waits performs on his show he always sits down for an entertaining interview, the most recent time was 2006, i believe.
letterman is a legend. i have much respect for him. when the news broke that he was having an affair, he didn't lie about it, he didn't brush it aside. he was honest right away and spoke about it. also, the first show after 9/11 when he was speaking to his audience about the events, he spoke from the heart, as opposed to Leno who was stiff as a board reading from cue cards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-14 04:47 by ineedadrink.

Date: May 14, 2011 04:45

Thanks Drewmaster for broadening my English vocabulary. Now I know what a sycophantic nitwit is! Thanks Doxa for your ever so insightful analyses about the chemistry between the "Glimmer Twins". I'm glad to see that Keith looks happy and, maybe, has left the yoke of the Rolling Stones behind him.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 14, 2011 05:49

>letterman is a legend. i have much respect for him.

I don't disagree w/you about that but my point was he just doesn't interview his musical guests like he once did -- the example you provided was half a decade ago.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 14, 2011 06:13

I recall Letterman interviewing Gwen Stefani a while back, and John Mellencamp, and of course, Willie Nelson over the years, more the singers than the guitarists.
Oh, yeah, and Jay Z, who had his book, and Jennifer Lopez, just offhand. Some of the musicians probably would rather just play than sit for the interview. He seems
to interview fewer than he once did, I agree.

I would have far preferred to see Keith with Dave than with Jimmy Fallon.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 14, 2011 07:40

drewmaster
Doxa
I looks like Mick and Keith are finally separated in a public, too. Perhaps the popularity of LIFE and his involvement in Depp's Walt Disney movies - and Depp's public adoring of him - has given Keith finally an independency as a celebrity that does need any longer the Stones/Jagger connection (another solo/Winos album would fit the picture now as well). Like noticed here Keith didn't mention Mick or the Stones at all - I would't be surprised if Fallon (an irrating jerk, by the way) had been told that this subject will not be discussed any further.

Maybe it is calm before the storm but there have never been so quiet for years as far as Mick and Keith's co-working goes. The two seem to ignore even the existence of the other. If anyone sees anything indicating in that "interview" to a new Stones project is really a magician or a true believer.

Anyway, I found the interview dull but I never been any fan of these so called celebrity host shows (so that is just me). The paperback version of Keith's book was promoted and the Pirate movie as well. Keith told the old "we made sure that the singles never crash with the Beatles" story (that I think holds true only to one way), and gave some one-liners of nothing especially (yeah, the famous wit still exists). I'm glad the Pirate clip was shown so I don't need to see the whole awful movie just to see Keith's contribution.

- Doxa

Agree with every word you wrote here, Doxa. It's hard to imagine a more irritating, sycophantic nitwit than this Fallon clown. As an American, I'm ashamed that his show wasn't cancelled after one episode.

Drew
Well Mick and Keith aren't really seperated in public. They both appeared on Fallon's show to promote the Exile deluxe release. It's well established Fallon and Mick are friends. Also as has been stated,the reason to appear on Fallon is that it's an NBC/Universal station where as opposed to CBS that isn't. One last thing. Fallon is not an irritaing jerk. Other than that I agree Doxa was spot on as usual.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 14, 2011 08:51

the fact that keith emails and sends gifts to Fallon and lets Fallon attend his recording sessions tells me one thing; fallon is a lucky dude and keith must really like him. not a bad place to be if you are fallon.

did keith really pay the bill for all of the books given away?

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 09:02

Stoneage
Letterman: Isn't that the guy who has only one prepared question in his vocabulary: "How's your summer been?" and has sex with his interns? Talk about shows with no substance. Sometimes I pitty the guests who cringes in their chairs. He looks nice in a suit though.

This is a dumb remark.

Just proves you don't watch the show. All talk show hosts are prepared to a large degree but Letterman is actually known for asking off the cuff questions and speaking impromptu.

Leno is the one who can't get beyond 2-3 basic questions.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 09:08

Chris Fountain
[ I'm not sure if Letterman is a sex monger... but that damn promo band is unnerving as shown. Let's put it this way, female guitar player is average at best; And Paul Shafer is mediocre at best. But Letterman is awesome

Paul actually is very talented and has a long list of credits.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 14, 2011 10:50

angee
Doxa, you have such a good imagination. Whatever is presented you are able to take off on.

Have you studied much psychology? Maybe you should do more of that! winking smiley

Yeah, I have a good imagination to go beyond the facts...grinning smiley

(I think I did a course on psychology in my first year at university but concluded that this shit is not for me... but I like philosophy of mind, epistemological issues concerning the reliability of our self-awereness - so called 'privileged access' to the content's of our own mind - and boring things like that, but let us not go so OT there.)

But back to my initial point. Here in IORR I have been quite critical of the content of LIFE, even shocked of its unloyal nature as far as 'his' band is concerned (which is odds with the 'old' Keef I know). So the way I now try to see the book is a 'sympathic' way to view it (or trying make sense out of it): as a way of Keith thinking aloud all the implicit crap out of his system, and thereby trying to release himself of the dependance of Mick and The Stones altogether.

But in other thread there is a message from one contributor who is a reliable source in Keith dealings, and he says that Keith is looking for a new Stones project, and its realization is just up to Mick. So most likely my speculation is just a waste of words. Or - to save my ass - we could go even to deeper psychology, and say that even Keith talks still about the Stones to the people around him, that is just old custody talk - we know that in his subconscience the whole issue is already settled...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-14 10:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 14, 2011 11:00

sweetcharmedlife
One last thing. Fallon is not an irritaing jerk. Other than that I agree Doxa was spot on as usual.eye rolling smiley

Well, I admit I chose a bit too rough words. Sorry for that (Jimmy). It is just this particular interview that I find Fallon way out of top in his ridiculous kiss-assing, 'no point in anything' way of talking that really annoys me. I never seen him so awful before (but I haven't seen many of his shows either - basically just five of them a year agogrinning smiley). The clip with Jagger is quite funny actually.

- Doxa

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 13:29

crazziness,,, whah whah whah,, sound like a bunch of spoiled kids,, he should be here he shouldnt be there, should have said this shouldnt of said this,, i like this part i dont like this part,,

you know what, if they tour again they will tour again,,, if they dont unfortunate sad but hey it is what it is,,,

do they owe us a tour,, hell no,, do they owe us telling us there is going to be a tour 6months-year from now,, hell no,,

and if they do tour all it will be, they shouldnt tour with this guy, so and so plays better, the stage is ugly, the show is to short,the lights were to bright,

so much negativity,, maybe focus on the positive and they may feel the appreciation and have the desire to tour,, as i dont care what anyone says at this point in there life its not about the money

be thankful for what they have given us,,

if you dont like what they are doing, dont listen dont watc dont read,,

use the off button

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-14 13:32 by northernale1.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home