Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 17
Re: Ronnie Wood AND Mick Taylor guesting at the 100 Club.....
Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 2, 2010 22:06

Thx for the great pics.I must say MT looks like he is in a world of pain. Bloated and no smile. Ronnie just the opposite.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 2, 2010 22:12

Man, great pics everyone! I really wish I could have been there. I particularly dug the vintage Strat Ronnie was playing. The Les Paul Mick was playing looked like the one he was using in the early '90s as the Bigsby looks very similar. It also has some pronounced wear on the headstock. I wonder if it's a Murphy or otherwise aged Historic?

Posted by: madshadow ()
Date: December 3, 2010 00:35

Great show! Never seen Mick T smile so much and Ronnie lit up the stage from the moment he appeared. The two of them embraced several times and they had a gas playing off against each other, Brilliant to see Dick Taylor too, for the first time.
The only other time I can recall Mick and Ronnie playing together is Kansas 81. Have there been any other times?

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: December 3, 2010 01:45

Brilliant to see Ronnie, Mick and Dick together. Basically my dream of who should play with the Stones the next concert. Each could represent a specific sound/period of the Stones, and we would all be happy. Dick Taylor's playing is fabulous, I have seen him in 2003 in Zoetermeer with the Pretty Things

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 3, 2010 02:06

Thursday 02 December 2010

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Save the 100 Club, 100 Club, London, review

It was Ronnie Wood's remarkably youthful performance which transformed this benefit gig to save the venue into a rock 'n’ roll concert.

Rating: * * * *

By Tom Gockelen-Kozlowski 6:19PM GMT 02 Dec 2010

As Ronnie Wood climbed onto the stage of London’s 100 Club – two thirds of the way through a benefit night attempting to save the venue from closure – a remarkable shift occurred. A pleasant night of blues covers, dexterous guitar solos and musical appreciation (with a band including two former Rolling Stones members, Mick and Dick Taylor – no relation) was suddenly transformed into a rock 'n’ roll concert with all the energy and sense of fun that had once made these men the epitome of anti-establishment cool.
Since the venue’s owner, Jeff Horton, announced that the legendary Oxford Street club would be shutting due to rocketing overheads in September, self-proclaimed 'new blues’ guitarist Stephen Dale Petit has been one of the most active members of a campaign to save the venue that includes Ray Davies, Mick Jagger and Pixie’s lead man Frank Black. Petit organised tonight’s concert using friends and favours to build up an impressive line-up and is donating profits from his next single to assist the club further.
The early highlight of the night was the appearance of 80-year-old Chris Barber, whose career stretches back to the 1940s. Coming centre stage to perform an excellent 'Going up the River’, the pioneering jazz trombonist represented a generation of musicians that called this venue 'home’ long before the birth of rock music. Importantly, though, Barber’s performance wasn’t only enjoyable because of an emotional link to the venue – his performance was show stopping because, at nearly double the age of Petit, he’s still able to play and sing with great soul.

At the start of the night, rock manager, producer and former Pretty Things drummer Mark St. John gave an introductory speech that argued the 100 Club is the 'beating heart’ of British music, as relevant today as it has ever been - citing recent performances by The Libertines and The White Stripes. This could have been much better expressed had some of those artists - MIA, Amy Winehouse or Mike Skinner- who continue the tradition of the Rolling Stones and other 100 Club alumni - turned up.

Instead, it was Ronnie Wood’s remarkably youthful performance that provided vitality - continually wandering the stage, bouncing along to the heavy drumming and smiling mischievously at his band mates. With Robert Johnson’s Stop Breakin’ Down and Shakin’ All Over, Wood’s appearance didn’t shift the night away from the blues-dominated set-list but he immediately managed to bring the sense of excitement and spontaneity that should be synonymous with rock ’n’ roll.
With most of the performers having known the 100 Club for 50 years or more, this concert demonstrated its importance to numerous generations who’ve built their own popular culture – from swing to punk – in this small, underground venue. If its survival is to be guaranteed, however, the current generation of era-defining bands needs to quickly show that they, too, want to make the 100 Club their spiritual home.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 3, 2010 02:12

A few more ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 3, 2010 09:13

beautiful shots - thank you thank you! the ones of Ronnie + two Taylors are especially charming :E

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: December 3, 2010 10:09

Deleted the message

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-03 10:11 by Jos.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 3, 2010 10:20

Oh my, what a wonderful thread this has become. Thank you all very much for the stories and the great pictures.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 3, 2010 10:30

Beast
Thursday 02 December 2010

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Save the 100 Club, 100 Club, London, review

It was Ronnie Wood's remarkably youthful performance which transformed this benefit gig to save the venue into a rock 'n’ roll concert.

Rating: * * * *

By Tom Gockelen-Kozlowski 6:19PM GMT 02 Dec 2010

As Ronnie Wood climbed onto the stage of London’s 100 Club – two thirds of the way through a benefit night attempting to save the venue from closure – a remarkable shift occurred. A pleasant night of blues covers, dexterous guitar solos and musical appreciation (with a band including two former Rolling Stones members, Mick and Dick Taylor – no relation) was suddenly transformed into a rock 'n’ roll concert with all the energy and sense of fun that had once made these men the epitome of anti-establishment cool.
Since the venue’s owner, Jeff Horton, announced that the legendary Oxford Street club would be shutting due to rocketing overheads in September, self-proclaimed 'new blues’ guitarist Stephen Dale Petit has been one of the most active members of a campaign to save the venue that includes Ray Davies, Mick Jagger and Pixie’s lead man Frank Black. Petit organised tonight’s concert using friends and favours to build up an impressive line-up and is donating profits from his next single to assist the club further.
The early highlight of the night was the appearance of 80-year-old Chris Barber, whose career stretches back to the 1940s. Coming centre stage to perform an excellent 'Going up the River’, the pioneering jazz trombonist represented a generation of musicians that called this venue 'home’ long before the birth of rock music. Importantly, though, Barber’s performance wasn’t only enjoyable because of an emotional link to the venue – his performance was show stopping because, at nearly double the age of Petit, he’s still able to play and sing with great soul.

At the start of the night, rock manager, producer and former Pretty Things drummer Mark St. John gave an introductory speech that argued the 100 Club is the 'beating heart’ of British music, as relevant today as it has ever been - citing recent performances by The Libertines and The White Stripes. This could have been much better expressed had some of those artists - MIA, Amy Winehouse or Mike Skinner- who continue the tradition of the Rolling Stones and other 100 Club alumni - turned up.

Instead, it was Ronnie Wood’s remarkably youthful performance that provided vitality - continually wandering the stage, bouncing along to the heavy drumming and smiling mischievously at his band mates. With Robert Johnson’s Stop Breakin’ Down and Shakin’ All Over, Wood’s appearance didn’t shift the night away from the blues-dominated set-list but he immediately managed to bring the sense of excitement and spontaneity that should be synonymous with rock ’n’ roll.
With most of the performers having known the 100 Club for 50 years or more, this concert demonstrated its importance to numerous generations who’ve built their own popular culture – from swing to punk – in this small, underground venue. If its survival is to be guaranteed, however, the current generation of era-defining bands needs to quickly show that they, too, want to make the 100 Club their spiritual home.

So has the 100 Club effectively been saved then ? What was all this about a sponsor having been found (I'm referring to what was in Jim Driver's e-mail) ? If so, I wonder who the saviour is ?

Date: December 3, 2010 10:32

Silver Dagger
I hear there's going to be a guitar duel at half time with Mick Taylor playing his best Stones licks while Ronnie does his. Mick Taylor will win hands down.

You were there, so er .............. who DID win ????????????????? cool smiley cool smiley cool smiley smoking smiley smoking smiley smoking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 3, 2010 10:43

paulywaul
Silver Dagger
I hear there's going to be a guitar duel at half time with Mick Taylor playing his best Stones licks while Ronnie does his. Mick Taylor will win hands down.

You were there, so er .............. who DID win ????????????????? cool smiley cool smiley cool smiley smoking smiley smoking smiley smoking smiley

Bejesus, what a question. Taylor versus Wood - live for all to see. Well, let's just say that for slide playing Taylor is the master and wins hands down. For that chunky high end lead playing it was Woodie. Two completely different styles - Taylor is the master of the slow Chicago blues style and Woodie takes his inspiration from a more animated Chuck Berry and funky, choppy style.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-03 12:57 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 3, 2010 10:53

It seems one Frank Black of the Pixies donated £100,000.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 3, 2010 11:24

If only some other well known wealthy supporters of the 100 Club would follow Frank Blacks actions.Maybe Mick,Ray Davies,Liam Gallagher and the other well known guys have given something on the back of their press announcemounts.We don't know,but a big thumbs up to Frank Black(if it is true).Read it a few days ago but just a rumour at the time. thumbs up>grinning smiley<thumbs up

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 3, 2010 12:07

Midnight Toker
Thx for the great pics.I must say MT looks like he is in a world of pain. Bloated and no smile. Ronnie just the opposite.

No,why do you say this ?
I found that both Taylor and Ronnie look happy to play and having fun.

Even when he was playing with the Stones, Mick Taylor didn't smile often on stage.I guess it's because he was very concentrated on his playing .smiling smiley

Great photos and reviews !Thanks !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 3, 2010 12:08

A video here :

[www.rollingstone.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 3, 2010 12:58

Does anyone know if Mick or Keith dug into their pockets? There were no excuses for Mick not to as he went on record to speak up about saving this historic club.

Date: December 3, 2010 13:33

Silver Dagger
Does anyone know if Mick or Keith dug into their pockets? There were no excuses for Mick not to as he went on record to speak up about saving this historic club.

A fair question, but I doubt we will ever know the answer. Then again, if they had contributed, you would have thought they would be more than happy to publicise the fact!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 3, 2010 13:45

It can help the fundraising if a famous person donates money and gains publicity with it.
On the other hand, boasting about ones donations is not considered a decent thing to do.

I'd rather have Mick and Keith play a charity show there together to raise some money.
Would that not be a fun thing to do? Just the two of them?

Posted by: BradleyJennas ()
Date: December 3, 2010 14:19

Sorry to ask again, but didn't get a reply!?

Did anyone get on of the limited edition programmes? Or even one of the lucky few who got a signed one?!

I didn't manage to get one because I didn't bring enough money in! Which sucks becuase I would have loved the chance to win a signed one!

Anyone think that they will be selling the rest anywhere, like on SDP's website?

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: December 3, 2010 14:21

The audio on some of those youtube clips is in stereo, nice to hear. I might have to grab the audio off these > mp3

Did anyone record the audio? And in stereo? Would be good to compile a good bootleg of the show.

Mick Taylor's guitar tone was great, nice and crisp, better than at other gigs of his I've been too (Queen Elizabeth Hall, London, May 2008, and the Real Music Club, North London, Sept 2008).

Date: December 3, 2010 14:59

turd
Great pics.

Who was on drums ?

Not sure if anyone answered your question.....for the first set SDP had Damon Wilson (Ray Davies' drummer of choice) on drums. After the interval, it was Pretty Things drummer Jack Greenwood who took over. Both did an excellent job in my opinion.

Date: December 3, 2010 16:45

WeLoveYou
The audio on some of those youtube clips is in stereo, nice to hear. I might have to grab the audio off these > mp3

Did anyone record the audio? And in stereo? Would be good to compile a good bootleg of the show.

Mick Taylor's guitar tone was great, nice and crisp, better than at other gigs of his I've been too (Queen Elizabeth Hall, London, May 2008, and the Real Music Club, North London, Sept 2008).

<<< Did anyone record the audio ? >>>

The person standing next to me did in fact have a recorder. But shortly before the gig kicked off, they were playing about with it and confessed to not really knowing how exactly it worked and how to record on it, so er ........... I'm inclined to think that not. Of course there could have been one (or more) other(s) who were recording that night ?

Date: December 3, 2010 18:18

Does anyone know what the set-list was from when Mick Taylor started playing?

When Ron came on I believe it was as per the photo on page 9, starting with Fancy Pants.

Just wondering what the songs before were, especially the one Mick Taylor first plays on with that catchy guitar riff.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 3, 2010 18:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-03 18:26 by Harm.

Date: December 3, 2010 18:33

Listening to that BBC news broadcast, they have obviously recorded the gig, plus it was being filmed also, so it looks like there could be a BBC program of the gig coming soon! So never mind the bootlegs, we'll be able to watch and grab the audio (and in good quality too)! Possibly it will be a radio program instead.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: December 3, 2010 18:48

What a great event. Mick Taylor and Ronnie look better than they have in years. What a tour it would be if Mick and Dick could participate in some way.

Quite the history on stage that night!

Date: December 3, 2010 19:08

Manofwealthandtaste
if they had contributed, you would have thought they would be more than happy to publicise the fact!

...I dunno... Would yóu?! I wouldn't.

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 3, 2010 19:16

Thanks for the pics, Harm.

So many great pics in this thread, especially the ones with just Taylor and Wood together.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: December 3, 2010 19:46

as everyone said, thanks so much for the pics ans stories
quite a historical night !

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2187
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home