Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Expanded Ya-Yas
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 4, 2009 15:23

I'm excited about the new material, but I am with the others who believe this could've been better. It's not about being ungrateful or trying to find fault, it's just a case of being annoyed at the amount of empty space on these discs.

I'm glad they didn't tamper with the original album, but they could've easily put the 5 bonus tracks on the end. Making this a 2 CD set instead of 3.
5 songs on 1 discs seems like a rip off to me!

I'm very glad about the support acts discs, no complaints there.

The Maysles filmed all the MSG Shows as well as Altamont and Miami Beach.
They have also said in the past that they have ALL the original rushes that they filmed! Therefore a whole MSG DVD coud've been edited together and released here!
We get 5 songs on the DVD? that's it? That sucks!

Can you imagine a compete 65 min DVD film of the Rolling Stones as Madison Square Garden in November 1969? Well, that's all we can do, because of this missed opportunity.

Compare this set with the Elvis special editioon box sets like "That's The Way It Is" (audio), "Aloha From Hawaii (DVD)" "68 Comeback Special (DVD)" and tell me you wouldn't prefer this ya-ya's release to be more like these!!!!

Date: September 4, 2009 15:37

The sound is awesome. Great version of Under My Thumb!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 4, 2009 15:38

Doxa
I need to say that they couldn't find better version of "Satisfaction" for Guitar Hero than that one! The guitars smoke, and the famous riff has not sounded nastier ever!

Just listen to "Under My Thumb" while I write - sounds great!

- Doxa

Man that sounds fabulous! I don't care about ABKCO releasing 5 songs on a single CD for $60 -when was the last time this kind of music was released? When was the last time smoking Ampeg amps where to heard on newly released music? And it is fantastic that even after 25 years of listening to the Stones they still can amaze me. Charlie sounds so fresh and exciting, and Taylor just shines on his leads again. Thumb is fantastic as well, great to hear how much of a lead player Richards was at that time.

Fabulous!

Mathijs

Date: September 4, 2009 15:45

vudicus
I'm excited about the new material, but I am with the others who believe this could've been better. It's not about being ungrateful or trying to find fault, it's just a case of being annoyed at the amount of empty space on these discs.

I'm glad they didn't tamper with the original album, but they could've easily put the 5 bonus tracks on the end. Making this a 2 CD set instead of 3.
5 songs on 1 discs seems like a rip off to me!

I'm very glad about the support acts discs, no complaints there.

The Maysles filmed all the MSG Shows as well as Altamont and Miami Beach.
They have also said in the past that they have ALL the original rushes that they filmed! Therefore a whole MSG DVD coud've been edited together and released here!
We get 5 songs on the DVD? that's it? That sucks!

Can you imagine a compete 65 min DVD film of the Rolling Stones as Madison Square Garden in November 1969? Well, that's all we can do, because of this missed opportunity.

Compare this set with the Elvis special editioon box sets like "That's The Way It Is" (audio), "Aloha From Hawaii (DVD)" "68 Comeback Special (DVD)" and tell me you wouldn't prefer this ya-ya's release to be more like these!!!!

You got to think of one thing though -The Baltimore show and three MSG were filmed and taped, but certainly not in its entirety. The technique of that time was that reel-to-reel tape was about 14 minutes long when recording on high speed (for high quality), and the tapes used for filming needed reloading every 5 or 6 minutes.

From interviews we know that the Baltimore Love in Vain was a bit of a lucky shot -it was recorded in good quality and in its entirety, and fitted the film shots. Maysels have commented that this show was used to practice camera standpoints. Carol and Queenie from MSG as a bonus where try-outs for the film crew as well.

So, I would be surprised if the 3 MSG shows exists complete in this quality. They do exist on rough soundboard quality though for sure. The 2nd 28 show at least is available in 18th or so generation.

Mathijs

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 4, 2009 16:36

Gazza
tatters
Rocky Dijon

I'll be curious if ABKCO offers the bonus tracks individually to iTunes as I'm sure many folks with the 2002 remaster of YA-YA'S would prefer to simply spend the bare minimum to purchase five new songs rather than digging deep for a two-disc or four-disc box set.

$59.98 DOES seem like a pretty steep price to pay for the five bonus tracks, IF the five bonus tracks are all you're interested in.

Cant imagine anyone who would be interested in the 5 tracks WOULDNT also be interested in the DVD and 56-page booklet, though.

Believe it or not, there are STILL many people out there who reached adulthood in the pre-MTV era who don't need to WATCH music. On the other hand, a DVD of historic Rolling Stones footage from 1969 DOES make for some mighty compelling viewing. Overall, it looks like a good package, and a good value for the money, but I'm still bugged about this legal stipulation that bonus cuts HAVE to be on separate disc. Seems like just another way to rip people off. Theoretically, they could put out an expanded Beggars, with one or two bonus cuts, say that legally they HAVE to put them on a separate disc, and then charge $29.99 for it. And we would all be drooling over it. Gotta have THAT. It's DELUXE!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-04 17:00 by tatters.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: September 4, 2009 16:50

Well its not too hard just to load all the songs into your computer and arrange them in correct order and burn a cd. Sure I also wish that ALL recorded material from this time was released but am certainly not going to bitch about this release. I'd rather spend 50$ on something new than 15$ on something I have multiple times already. The version of Satisfaction is HOT and maybe my new favorite (although I still love the Knebworth opener!)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 4, 2009 16:54

DrPete
Well its not too hard just to load all the songs into your computer and arrange them in correct order and burn a cd.

yeah, but then they have to at least add an empty CDr or DVDr with the package.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 4, 2009 17:26

the 5 songs sound really really great but very different to the audience recordings i know. i've never heard drums in Prodigal Son and the uptempo drums on Satisfaction are new for me too.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 4, 2009 18:00

Holy shit!

I just listened to Satisfaction and Under My Thumb. Sounds amazing.
I'm happy! When can I buy this? October?

Finally something great from the vaults.

Who knows, maybe the full shows will turn up sooner than later unofficially.
I will buy that too.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 4, 2009 18:17

Sounds great! Raw and nasty.Good playing from Charlie and Keith.
I just love the 69 stuff!

Pity only it seems they didn't take the medley version of Thumb and I'm free. Always loved that great medley!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 4, 2009 18:18

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 4, 2009 18:19

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: September 4, 2009 18:27

CousinC
Pity only it seems they didn't take the medley version of Thumb and I'm free. Always loved that great medley!

This is the November 27 medley.
They´ve slightly edited it to seperate the two songs. If you listen closely you´ll hear that the playing at the end of Under My Thumb is exactly the same as the beginning of I´m Free.

This has to be my favorite version of Satisfaction. Charlie´s drumming is amazing!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 4, 2009 18:34

Wow! The new tracks are great! I hope that they release has Under My Thumb as the medley with I'm Free! Two of my favorites Stones songs in one! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-04 18:58 by ChrisM.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 4, 2009 18:57

Tornandfrayed
CousinC

This is the November 27 medley.
They´ve slightly edited it to seperate the two songs. If you listen closely you´ll hear that the playing at the end of Under My Thumb is exactly the same as the beginning of I´m Free.

This has to be my favorite version of Satisfaction. Charlie´s drumming is amazing!

Oh great, then I can feel reassured! I'd only just heard the Thumb version where it seems the song stops at the end.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 4, 2009 19:07

The last one:

According the audience recording I can't remember that Charlie was involved, There are no drums on the original.

Date: September 4, 2009 19:21

RobertJohnson
The last one:

According the audience recording I can't remember that Charlie was involved, There are no drums on the original.

Yes he is, you can hear the hi-hat in the background:

There's also various reports that PS was performed with Charlie on stage.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-04 19:47 by Mathijs.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: September 4, 2009 19:57

thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is great .......new version of prodigal son ,,(diff from gimme shelter )

hot smileyhot smileyhot smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 4, 2009 20:04

[applause]

Date: September 4, 2009 20:13

yes
and i'm free edited "i wanna tell you something " before i'm free is not here..

Date: September 4, 2009 20:29

vancouver
yes
and i'm free edited "i wanna tell you something " before i'm free is not here..

You´re right, that vocal part is mixed out but you can still hear it bleed through both at the end of Under My Thumb and the beginning of I´m Free.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 4, 2009 20:29

Under my thumb is really awesome !hot smiley

HMN

Date: September 4, 2009 20:48

all tracks is awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hot smileysmileys with beer

anyone knows under my thumb nov 27 ,but the rest ?????

Date: September 4, 2009 21:08

Anyone else notice the tape lag on Prodigal Son and You Gotta Move?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 4, 2009 21:09

ChrisM

maybe your pc is just running fast?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 4, 2009 21:16

I am sure I'll get it. It'll be good to listen to B.B. and the Ike and Tina Revue. I was at the 1st LA Forum show and thought they all put on a great show. I only wish the set would include Terry Reid, as he opened the LA shows.

Date: September 4, 2009 21:18

yes

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 4, 2009 21:35

vancouver

yes

Yes I heard it too. I guess the reasons could be : The tapes weren't in good condition (weren't taken after very good by ABCKO, unlike the Beatles masters by EMI)

Or this is done deliberately too hide the 'faults'. or the fact that some was out of key in those songs.

only speculating here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-04 21:36 by barbabang.

Date: September 4, 2009 21:43

barbabang
vancouver

yes

Yes I heard it too. I guess the reasons could be : The tapes weren't in good condition (weren't taken after very good by ABCKO, unlike the Beatles masters by EMI)

Or this is done deliberately too hide the 'faults'. or the fact that some was out of key in those songs.

only speculating here!

These are clips taken from the Guitar Hero computer game and the "tape faults" simply result from the player not playing it correctly.

Date: September 4, 2009 22:02

StonesTod
ChrisM

maybe your pc is just running fast?
Wow, that never occurred to me! Thanks Tod!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home