Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Expanded Ya-Yas
Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: September 7, 2009 18:42

I remember reading an article in "Rolling Stone" in 1970 which featured a story about the Stones mixing their new "live" album. According to the article, Mick said some of the album titles being considered were, among others, "Naughty Ladies '70", "Old Glory", and "Everybody Got To Go". The article went on to list the songs which would appear, and "Satisfaction" was one of them. Can't remember what song ended up replacing it...At any rate, my guess is all the MSG songs ended up being prepared for release and then a 'pairing down' process began. But at one point, the Stones themselves were considering "Satisfaction" for inclusion. Perhaps the fact that they knew the film would include it made the decision easier.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 7, 2009 18:52

studiorambo
I note that Amazon is now listing the deluxe Ya-Ya's set for $48. 5 extra tracks was never worth US$60.

It was down to $53 when I last looked a couple of days ago. Just a couple of days after the release was originally announced.

At this rate, they'll be paying everyone to take it by the time it comes out. It should certainly be easy enough to find it for a LOT less than $60.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 7, 2009 22:55

<<According to the article, Mick said some of the album titles being considered were, among others, "Naughty Ladies '70", "Old Glory", and "Everybody Got To Go". The article went on to list the songs which would appear, and "Satisfaction" was one of them>>

thkbeercan, are you thinking of the issue which had Sly & The Family Stone on the cover?
That issue is from February or March '70 and had an inside the studio report on Ya Ya's
I too remember Satisfaction being mentioned
I'm sure the three titles suggested were actually meant for the GS doc

Posted by: adjeff8 ()
Date: September 8, 2009 04:12

Finally!!!!! After reading thru about 50 of these comments, TATTERS finally addresses my interest in this new release. I consider Ya Ya's the Holy Grail of live Albums. And Obviously the recordings Have much better quality than in The Gimmie Shelter movie, even though they are both from the same concerts. This is due to overdubbing. Now, I have always considered the version of Satisfaction from the Gimmie movie as the best version of that song EVER. And I was ALWAYS disappointed that the song was not on the album in the "Polished up" version. I have always wondered if maybe, just maybe, they overdubbed and worked on all of the songs and then picked the 10 songs that they picked, and that somewhere in some vault there was a polished up version of Satisfaction. I think I am hoping against hope...but this is the reason I am buying this new release.

I understand the desires of some people for authenticity, but I already own Ya ya's and the Gimmie Shelter DVD, so I have no need for more of the same. I want to hear the brilliant Mick Taylor on Satisfaction with the same quality as the other songs on Ya Ya's. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 8, 2009 04:20

PITA that I have to change discs to go from the original album to the bonus tracks. But I suppose I can always burn a cdr with the whole lot on it. Maybe I'll get a nice Kodak 300 year gold archive cdr and put it all together and store it in my now vacant inaugural 2002 SACD digipack of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 8, 2009 04:33

Now I know Expanded Ya-Yas will come with:
56 pages of booklet with Ethan Russell's photos and essay;
Post card resembling 1969 tour poster;
DVD including the backstage of MSG and the photo shooting session for original album jacket; and
SHM-CD with paper sleeve jacket.

It is also said Expanded Ya-Yas is newly remastered.
Could it be different from Bob Ludwig's 2002 mastering?

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: September 8, 2009 05:09

adjeff8
Now, I have always considered the version of Satisfaction from the Gimmie movie as the best version of that song EVER. And I was ALWAYS disappointed that the song was not on the album in the "Polished up" version. I have always wondered if maybe, just maybe, they overdubbed and worked on all of the songs and then picked the 10 songs that they picked, and that somewhere in some vault there was a polished up version of Satisfaction. I think I am hoping against hope...but this is the reason I am buying this new release.
...I want to hear the brilliant Mick Taylor on Satisfaction with the same quality as the other songs on Ya Ya's. Keeping my fingers crossed.

IMHO, the solo and 2d half of Satisfaction on the Guitar Hero version is different from Gimme Shelter movie version. Also, Satisfaction on the Gimme Shelter version has a guitar overdub and is thought to be from two different shows (based upon a midsong costume change, which I never notice).

It would be nice to hear all three shows in their entirety, but I'll still be grateful when this deluxe version is released.

Will the "backstage MSG" stuff include Hendrix with sound?

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: September 8, 2009 05:10

Sohoe
<<According to the article, Mick said some of the album titles being considered were, among others, "Naughty Ladies '70", "Old Glory", and "Everybody Got To Go". The article went on to list the songs which would appear, and "Satisfaction" was one of them>>

thkbeercan, are you thinking of the issue which had Sly & The Family Stone on the cover?
That issue is from February or March '70 and had an inside the studio report on Ya Ya's
I too remember Satisfaction being mentioned
I'm sure the three titles suggested were actually meant for the GS doc

You may be right...the titles may have been suggested for the movie...

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 8, 2009 05:26

Man Oh Man. . .. If The Stones don't get that there is money to be made by opening the vaults. . .. They should look at the length of this thread!

There must be some way to let some quality live stuff out for us while they make some money?

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 8, 2009 05:59

It's funny. People always bitch because the vaults are never opened. And now they are, but people are bitching now at the price. The 69 shows generally were about 15 songs... with the 5 songs added...you get the whole show. Apparently GS was played only a few times. I am thrilled to have this...I just hope the dvd shows entire performances and is not edited.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 8, 2009 08:14

Have to admit, Johang, I was expecting more than 5 additional tracks when I read "40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition". I all for recreating the Stone's own wish to present the support acts in the album, by there's a whole lot of empty polycarbonate on disc 2.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 8, 2009 08:56

studiorambo
Have to admit, Johang, I was expecting more than 5 additional tracks when I read "40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition". I all for recreating the Stone's own wish to present the support acts in the album, by there's a whole lot of empty polycarbonate on disc 2.

but the thing is - with the Stones - getting 5 songs from the vaults is simply amazing!!!
any other band would have given us all MSG shows (like the Doors are doing)....but the Stones normally give us doughnuts! so lets be happy....

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 8, 2009 16:13

The BB and Ike/Tina stuff looks cool! But I expected more of the DVD, like a whole show, that's disappointing.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 8, 2009 16:36

Bashlets
It's funny. People always bitch because the vaults are never opened. And now they are, but people are bitching now at the price. The 69 shows generally were about 15 songs... with the 5 songs added...you get the whole show. Apparently GS was played only a few times. I am thrilled to have this...I just hope the dvd shows entire performances and is not edited.

Yeah, I think even those of us who have some reservations about this product need to go out and buy it anyway, if only to show them that there IS some fan interest in having the Stones open their vaults. If the Deluxe Ya-Ya's and Exile sell better than expectations, we may get more releases like this, but if these first two don't sell, they'll figure it's not worth the bother, regardless of what the lunatic fringe (that's us) is saying.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 8, 2009 16:54

Yeah, you're right, tatters. We'll have to buy 'em regardless of our small disappointments.

I guess there is one positive side to the conservative ways of ABKCO and Rolling Stones Records -- in coming decades when Stones' new material is waning, there is more unused material to shell out (given that the tapes haven't got lost or deteriorated too much). Just look at the Jimi Hendrix catalogue. They've been great at releasing tons of outtakes and live shows, but now that they got a new contract with Sony, they'll recycle all of this (much like the Stones' studio albums have been) with less stuff left in the vaults to actually surprise and please the real fans with.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: September 8, 2009 17:28

tatters
Bashlets

Yeah, I think even those of us who have some reservations about this product need to go out and buy it anyway, if only to show them that there IS some fan interest in having the Stones open their vaults. If the Deluxe Ya-Ya's and Exile sell better than expectations, we may get more releases like this, but if these first two don't sell, they'll figure it's not worth the bother, regardless of what the lunatic fringe (that's us) is saying.

We'll all buy it but the casual fan will probably pass.I've read messages from people on other forums who were initially very interested in this set,but having seen the details either cannot justify paying the price,don't like the way it's spread on to 4 discs or simply are not enticed by the content as it's presented.Whatever the legalities,a trick was missed here.

And unless it wasn't filmed it seems incredible to me that after 2 special editions of Gimme Shelter plus the extended Ya Yas we are still short of Rambler on film from MSG,What are they waiting for?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 8, 2009 17:35

yes Midnight Rambler is the one classic missing.
Wasn't it mentioned to be included in Gimme Shelter extras?
And wasn't is shown at this "closed session" a year ago ??
Looks like we'll have to wait another year for the next Gimme Shelter release!!!

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: September 8, 2009 17:43

Eleanor Rigby
yes Midnight Rambler is the one classic missing.
Wasn't it mentioned to be included in Gimme Shelter extras?
And wasn't is shown at this "closed session" a year ago ??
Looks like we'll have to wait another year for the next Gimme Shelter release!!!

It's a bit silly really isn't it

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 8, 2009 19:06

Here it´s for you my friends

GET YER YA-YA’S OUT: THE ROLLING STONES IN CONCERT 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE BOX SET
3 September 2009 by admin
filed under Featured, Reissues
Leave a comment

Rolling Stones fans are thrilled at the news of the deluxe edition of the classic live album “Get Yer Ya-Ya;s Out”. It contains 3 CDs, 1 DVD, a 56-page Collectors Book and a postcard replica of the original Rolling Stones 1969 tour poster by David Byrd. The first CD is a remastered version of the original Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out release. The second CD contains 5 unreleased tracks by The Rolling Stones from the original Madison Square Garden concert. The third CD contains 12 never before released tracks by opening acts B.B. King and Ike & Tina Turner. The DVD features performances by The Rolling Stones from the 2 night concert at Madison Square Garden, backstage footage, scenes of Keith Richards in the studio and footage of the Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out album cover shoot, all shot by Albert and David Maysles. The 56-page Collectors Book includes photos and an essay by the acclaimed photographer Ethan Russell, an original article by Lester Bangs from Rolling Stone magazine and remembrances from concert-goers. Each box will also have an insert with a code to download “I’m Free (Live)” for Guitar Hero.

Tracklistings:

Disc: 1

1. Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Original Release)
2. Carol (Original Release)
3. Stray Cat Blues (Original Release)
4. Love In Vain (Original Release)
5. Midnight Rambler (Original Release)
6. Sympathy For The Devil (Original Release)
7. Live With Me (Original Release)
8. Little Queenie (Original Release)
9. Honky Tonk Women (Original Release)
10. Street Fighting Man (Original Release)

Disc: 2

1. Prodigal Son (Unreleased Track)
2. You Gotta Move (Unreleased Track)
3. Under My Thumb (Unreleased Track)
4. I m Free (Unreleased Track)
5. (I Can t Get No) Satisfaction (Unreleased Track)

Disc: 3

1. Everyday I Have The Blues (Unreleased B.B. King Track)
2. How Blue Can You Get (Unreleased B.B. King Track)
3. That s Wrong Little Mama (Unreleased B.B. King Track)
4. Why I Sing The Blues (Unreleased B.B. King Track)
5. Please Accept My Love (Unreleased B.B. King Track)
6. Gimme Some Loving (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
7. Sweet Soul Music (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
8. Son Of A Preacher Man (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
9. Proud Mary (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
10. I’ve Been Loving You Too Long (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
11. Come Together (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
12. Land Of 1000 Dances (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)

Disc: 4

1. Prodigal Son (DVD content)
2. You Gotta Move (DVD content)
3. Under My Thumb (DVD content)
4. I m Free (DVD content)
5. (I Can t Get No) Satisfaction (DVD Content)

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 8, 2009 19:16

bluesinc.
Here it´s for you my friends

Already posted on page 4, 4 days ago...
[www.iorr.org]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: September 8, 2009 19:54

If those 5 bonus cuts are short enough to fit onto disc 1, then i will be upset.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2009 22:42

Those 5 bonus cuts are artistically more worth than anything they have released live from FLASHPOINT on.

- Doxa

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 8, 2009 22:48

Doxa
Those 5 bonus cuts are artistically more worth than anything they have released live from FLASHPOINT on.

- Doxa

-I'd say Still Life...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 8, 2009 23:33

tatters
Doxa
I think the point of leaving "Satisfaction" - as "I'm Free" and "Under My Thumb" - out was to be 'current'. That was the decision that pointed out the 'new-born' Stones, that is, post-"Jumpin' Jack Flash"-Stones. By leaving the obvious "Satisfaction" out, emphasized that the band had a new, independent life from its past. It was the band of "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Honky Tok Women" now, like old 'pop' hit "Satisfaction" never existed. The truth is that if "Satisfaction" would have been included ALL the others would have been still shadowed by it.
- Doxa

I don't think so. I think it would have placed the Stones in their proper historical context, as a band with a legendary past, AND a brilliant present. I understand that they wanted to focus on the newer material, as they should have done, because the new material was THAT good, but clearly, they also wanted to evoke the pre-68 era because they played the one song that does that better than any other song. If they REALLY wanted to be entirely current in '69, why did they play Satisfaction at all?

Then again, it WAS a pretty cool move to have the "Paint It Black You Devil" girl do the job of evoking the entire pre-68 era FOR THEM, simply by REQUESTING one of their old songs!

In a different way of looking at it, I think the Stones(Mick and Keith) left off Satisfaction because they knew it was a song that clearly jacked up the intensity levels at the concerts. It was a highlight number. The omission of this song leaves us wanting it more, so they left it off Ya Ya's. That is why it was so cool to finally get this song from the 69 tour via the Gimme Shelter movie. People who did not get to the concerts heard from friends about how good the Stones had been and the hype was all substantiated by the Ya Ya's record and the live footage in Gimme Shelter. Satisfaction should have been on Ya Ya's, and it could have been made into a double album if you added in the songs that were left off. Maybe someone should ask Mick or Keith why Satisfaction was left off YaYa's?

I think it bizarre that anyone would consider leaving off the Berry songs for the inclusion of Satisfaction. These Berry nuggets from 1969 were absolute joyous moments from the concerts, and a big surprise in the setlist. To leave Carol and/or Queenie off would have been insane. The joint was always up and jumpin' when they played that material! Keith never played those solos exactly the same. Still sounds awesome 40 years later. On the Berry songs you also had Stew on piano. The band never sounded better, so to even think those songs could have come off for Satisfaction is unthinkable.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 9, 2009 00:48

@#$%&
If those 5 bonus cuts are short enough to fit onto disc 1, then i will be upset.
Without a doubt they would fit on disc 1. For one, every complete boot from the '69 tour fits on one CD. Ya-Ya's is around 40 minutes, so you have almost 40 minutes left of space on the CD, and those 5 tracks are probably 20-25 minutes together.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 9, 2009 00:53

There must be more tracks available from MSG and Baltimore that could have gone on there. Pity to have wasted space.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 9, 2009 00:55

filstan, thanks for your insights!

- Doxa

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 9, 2009 01:39

From Nico Zentgraf´s site:

691127A 27th November: New York City, Madison Square Garden
(Jumping Jack Flash/Carol/Sympathy For The Devil/Stray Cat Blues/Love In
Vain/Prodigal Son/You Gotta Move/Under My Thumb-I'm Free/Midnight
Rambler/Live With Me/Little Queenie/Satisfaction/Honky Tonk Women/
Street Fighting Man)
Note: Soundboard recording was made by Glyn Johns with the Wally Heider Mobile
Studio. The whole show was filmed by the Maysles brothers for the upcoming
Gimme Shelter-movie incl. unused footage of Jimi Hendrix on a visit backstage.

Maybe next time...nevertheless I´m looking forward to this five extra songs and B.B King and Ike & TinaTurner sets.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 9, 2009 02:34

@#$%&

Yes, they COULD have fit onto Disc 1. Recordings of complete, unedited concerts from the '69 tour are short enough to fit onto single CDs.

Date: September 9, 2009 18:30

i got the 3 unrealsed tracks already as a download on Guitar 5
has anyone else

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home