Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11
Re: Expanded Ya-Yas
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:55

Charlie is staying and i just placed my pre order..Happy days are here again!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:59

sorry to repeat myself - [www.iorr.org] - but i really wanna know:
has anyone seen the Ya-Yas box set on any Europe-based vendors' websites? a link would be very gratefully received

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-03 17:00 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 3, 2009 17:02

with sssoul
has anyone seen the Ya-Yas box set on any Europe-based vendors' websites? a link would be very gratefully received

I think the silence means 'no'. At least, I haven't.

- Doxa

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: September 3, 2009 17:04

Can't wait for this release bring it on

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: September 3, 2009 17:10

To all the moaners:

This new release is the Holy Grail of Rock!!!!

How can someone bash it???

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: September 3, 2009 17:11

with sssoul

Am I right in thinking that the new GS dvd is not being released in USA yet?

If so, that may mean the deluxe Ya Ya's is not being released in Europe at the momentangry smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 3, 2009 17:12

marquess
To all the moaners:

This new release is the Holy Grail of Rock!!!!

How can someone bash it???

I still think the unreleased '72 live album with the Stones and Stevie Wonder would be better, especially since it would ALL be previously unreleased material, not just an expansion of an existing album .... but this is pretty good, too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-03 17:17 by tatters.

Date: September 3, 2009 17:14

>> I think the silence means 'no'. At least, I haven't. <<

thanks - i am hopeful, though, and will light the incense of they'd-better-not-be-planning-to-keep-Europe-waiting -
we only waited 9 years for Gimme Shelter, so the fact that we're getting that this month
doesn't mean we don't want to get our expanded ya-yas out as well

>> Am I right in thinking that the new GS dvd is not being released in USA yet? <<

thanks for grasping what tree i'm barking up here.
since North America and Asia got the Criterion edition of GS in 2000 and Europe had to wait until now,
it would be severely unkind to make Europe wait for Ya-Yas ... but it might be what's happening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-03 17:19 by with sssoul.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 3, 2009 17:42

hey with sssoul i have silently searching around but found no evidence of european sellers with such pre-order item. Of course I keep an eye and will ask my cd reseller if he has news about it

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 3, 2009 18:07

If one does not like Ike and Tina and BB, buy the 2 CD edition.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 3, 2009 18:08

with sssoul
>> Lastly, a question (because I'm lazy to not look it up myself): is the new Gimme Shelter DVD release coming from ABKCO
(or in collaboration with ABKCO)? If so, it shouldn't contain much duplicating this Ya-Ya's box dvd. <<

it seems like the upcoming European release of Gimme Shelter must have the same relationship with ABKCO
as the Criterion edition did: it's not an ABKCO product, but they needed ABKCO's permission, licences, etc.

my main question at this point is:
does anyone have a link to where the upcoming Ya-Yas is being offered by a Europe-based vendor?
i hope they're not going to make us wait for it just because we're getting a new GS

Wouldnt read too much into it. I'm actually quite surprised that amazon are advertising a release which wont be out for another two months. I've no doubt YaYasDeluxe will be released worldwide.

Date: September 3, 2009 18:15

>> ... no evidence of european sellers with such pre-order item. Of course I keep an eye and will ask my cd reseller if he has news about it <<

>> Wouldnt read too much into it. ... I've no doubt YaYasDeluxe will be released worldwide. <<

thank you. i don't mean to read too much into it - far be it from me to pull a cashmere! :E
but i will be keeping that incense lit, and will be grateful when someone can post a Europe-based link

Date: September 3, 2009 18:23

studiorambo
nanker phelge
Gazza

Seriously, folks. Some people need to f*ckin' wise up. A 3 disc and 1 DVD deluxe version of Get Yer Ya Yas Out.

How bad can it be?

Exactly Gaz, this looks like an awesome release!

I think the fear is that the contents of the first disc have been with us for 39 years, disc 2 is said to contain just 5 tracks, disc 3 isn't the Stones, and the DVD is an unknown at this stage.

Like I said, they can't release what they dont have. I'm not saying for sure they DONT have loads of outtakes all ready to go (although the remastering logs uploaded here a few weeks ago probably suggest thats the case), but its quite possible thats the scenario. Personally, I'd have liked to have heard some alternate versions taped over the four shows - but I think they would have included them to fill out the discs if they were usable.

Four shows recorded for a live album. They probably picked the 'best' version of each of the 15 songs, worked on them and no other songs, then picked ten which would fit onto a vinyl LP.

If thats the case and we get a 'standalone' full concert as an additional disc, that leaves one of two options

1) release a 40 year old concert in its entirety from a soundboard tape (if they still have it in a usable form), remixed but with no cuts and no overdubs. Sounds great on paper and the scenario we'd probably all like, but the Stones, from past experience and for reasons best known to themselves, dont tend to like to put out live releases without some serious doctoring.

2) Adding overdubs and edits made 40 years after the event. A scenario too horrible to even contemplate.

the BB King/Ike & tina disc is a valid addition IMO because those songs were considered for the original release. Naturally, we'd all prefer more Stones songs but as the song says....YCAGWYW

the only real valid gripe is that there are 3 discs of audio material which could have fitted onto two discs instead. Some prefer to have the original release on its own disc with the bonus material seperate - others would prefer it to be on one disc sequenced in the order the songs were played. Its a matter of taste, and as Tatters says on the previous page, we dont know whether the extra 5 songs have overdubs/edits or not, so there may be a valid reason why they're kept separate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-03 18:25 by Gazza.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 3, 2009 18:44

I think that mixing the bonus songs in the original tracklist and shuffling it in order to match with the actual setlist would mean simply to make another record. I dont think it is a matter of taste. The record whose title is Get yer... has for example SFTD after midnight rambler as song number 6, first of side B if you like.
Of course they can release one, two or every 69 concert or make another compilation but that record, i repeat, has gained an historical status for what it is. So I think that on the part of those involved in the issuing of an expanded version, it is a matter of dealing with a work of art with such a status. So I appreciate the consideration of keeping bonuses separate and including the acts that were in the original project. It seems to me they apparently did a good job by considering the historical context and the timespan.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 3, 2009 18:58

Legally ABKCO cannot alter the track listings of any album. The master of each album will stand as the only way the album can be reissued. This still allows ABKCO the leeway to replace the common shorter versions of "Tell Me," "2120 S. Michigan Avenue," "The Under-Assistant West Coast Promo Man," and "Out of Time" with the longer versions in the same packaging if they choose to do so, but they cannot add bonus tracks (live or otherwise) and issue it with the same name and cover art as an original release.

Considering this, they have to package the bonus live tracks for YA-YA's as a separate disc clearly labelled bonus content so it cannot be sold or re-sold as YA-YA'S proper. What may appear to be a rip-off is the only way ABKCO can release the extra tracks short of trying to negotiate another METAMORPHOSIS (and good luck with that given how long ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS took to clear and still no BBC SESSIONS after all these years).

I'll be curious if ABKCO offers the bonus tracks individually to iTunes as I'm sure many folks with the 2002 remaster of YA-YA'S would prefer to simply spend the bare minimum to purchase five new songs rather than digging deep for a two-disc or four-disc box set.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 3, 2009 19:09

Well, Amazon has been known to get their info wrong on occasion. I personally think the bonus tracks will be more than 5 songs(but that may be wishful thinking). I'm gonna hope for the best!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: September 3, 2009 19:14

Looking forward to this one!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 3, 2009 20:01

Anybody know the setlists BB and Ike/Tina played?

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: September 3, 2009 21:54

Sounds like a real goodiebag to me!
Still upset we never made it to the MSG in '69, but we couldn't get a family visa.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 3, 2009 22:18

maumau
I think that mixing the bonus songs in the original tracklist and shuffling it in order to match with the actual setlist would mean simply to make another record. I dont think it is a matter of taste. The record whose title is Get yer... has for example SFTD after midnight rambler as song number 6, first of side B if you like.
Of course they can release one, two or every 69 concert or make another compilation but that record, i repeat, has gained an historical status for what it is. So I think that on the part of those involved in the issuing of an expanded version, it is a matter of dealing with a work of art with such a status. So I appreciate the consideration of keeping bonuses separate and including the acts that were in the original project. It seems to me they apparently did a good job by considering the historical context and the timespan.

I certainly agree with your outlook on history and the notion of respect for the original document [album, in this case] as it first existed and as it became beloved. It's that forty-year love affair that is the whole reason for the record now being revisited and, in a sense, expanded with once-discarded content.

My question-rhetorically, and to ABKCO-is how does this square with the 1987 "original" cover of Beggar's Banquet? (Or the minor, but irritating little crescents with the track listings on the 2002 remasters?)

Great fun to see the "toilet" cover. Only problem is that two decades of history and mystique developed around a Beggar's that had an ironically tasteful sleeve...

Anyway, happy to see the spotlight on Ya-Ya's...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 3, 2009 22:56

An expanded Gimme Shelter and a four disc set of Ya Yas released in November?
Sounds like a Cosmic Christmas to me!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 3, 2009 23:47

How about all the compilation lps that ABKCO released after the Stones broke with them (Milestones,Stone Age, Rock n Rolling Stones, Gimme Shelter) Was that allowed because of repackaging already released tracks?

Date: September 4, 2009 01:54

Gazza

the BB King/Ike & tina disc is a valid addition IMO because those songs were considered for the original release. Naturally, we'd all prefer more Stones songs but as the song says....YCAGWYW

the only real valid gripe is that there are 3 discs of audio material which could have fitted onto two discs instead. Some prefer to have the original release on its own disc with the bonus material seperate - others would prefer it to be on one disc sequenced in the order the songs were played. Its a matter of taste, and as Tatters says on the previous page, we dont know whether the extra 5 songs have overdubs/edits or not, so there may be a valid reason why they're kept separate.

I think it's GREAT that we're finally getting the B.B. King and Ike and Tina tracks. This is much closer to having Ya-Ya's the way it was originally conceived, as a double LP, with a side of B.B., a side of Ike and Tina, and two sides of Stones. But I don't see why all 15 Stones tracks can't be squeezed onto a single CD. My copy of Live'R is a single CD, and that's got 16 tracks. And even if there is some very good legal or artistic reason NOT to have all the Stones tracks in the correct setlist running order, you could STILL put them all on the same disc. They could have had the original album, just as it was released in 1970, followed about 15 seconds of silence, just as a way of saying to the listener "This is where the original album ends, and now, after a brief pause, here are some extra goodies".

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 4, 2009 02:19

Hey tatters in case you've missed it; check Rocky Dijon's post just about the middle ofthis page. Explains why the extra tracks are on seperate disc

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 4, 2009 02:19

Getting away from Ya-Ya's a little, but keeping with the Deluxe reissues, does anyone care to speculate on the liklihood of live material from the American Tour 1972 making it onto the Deluxe reissue of Exile On Main St.?

Sh!t I hope disc 2 of Ya-Ya's has plenty of alternate live performances, undubbed and in all their ragged glory if need be.

Date: September 4, 2009 02:40

Sohoe
Hey tatters in case you've missed it; check Rocky Dijon's post just about the middle ofthis page. Explains why the extra tracks are on seperate disc

It says that Abkco can't alter the track listing of any album, but if you tack on the bonus tracks at the END, then you're not REALLY altering the track listing of the original album. I don't see why this wouldn't be an acceptable way of getting around the legal issue. They would still be "preserving the essence of the original track listing" or whatever Universal said in THEIR press release to explain why their remasters have no bonus tracks.

Date: September 4, 2009 03:14

I would still like someone to explain to me why it was alright for ABKCO to create totally new albums from previously released material and that didnt infringe on anything

Date: September 4, 2009 03:29

Rocky Dijon

I'll be curious if ABKCO offers the bonus tracks individually to iTunes as I'm sure many folks with the 2002 remaster of YA-YA'S would prefer to simply spend the bare minimum to purchase five new songs rather than digging deep for a two-disc or four-disc box set.

$59.98 DOES seem like a pretty steep price to pay for the five bonus tracks, IF the five bonus tracks are all you're interested in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-04 03:33 by tatters.

Date: September 4, 2009 03:36

scottkeef
I would still like someone to explain to me why it was alright for ABKCO to create totally new albums from previously released material and that didnt infringe on anything

I'd imagine Rocky and a few others could answer this far better than I can, but I'm pretty sure that ABKCO's 'rights' when it comes to repackaging has changed since the 70s

After the Stones left Decca/London and formed their own label, there was a plethora of repackages from about 1971 up to the mid 70's on both their old UK and US labels - the two Hot Rocks compilations, Milestones, Rock n Rolling Stones, No Stone Unturned, Gimme Shelter, Rolled Gold, etc.

This all seemed to pretty much slow down to a trickle after the release of 'Metamorphosis' in June 1975. Especially in the US.

I'd guess either some agreement was reached re future releases or else what rights ABKCO had to repackage 'at will' expired at a certain date so many years after the Stones left the label.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-04 03:38 by Gazza.

Date: September 4, 2009 03:43

tatters
Rocky Dijon

$59.98 DOES seem like a pretty steep price to pay for the five bonus tracks, IF the five bonus tracks are all you're interested in.

Cant imagine anyone who would be interested in the 5 tracks WOULDNT also be interested in the DVD and 56-page booklet, though.

$60 for someone just wanting the extra 5 tracks is still a better deal than paying full price to buy 13 studio albums all over again (some issued for the 4th or 5th time) with NO extra tracks on any of 'em.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home