Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Expanded Ya-Yas
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 3, 2009 13:10

Lots of news in the Stones Empire, yet not one word on RS.com. One would expect proud announcements, commends and pictures. Or just plain marketing stories.

On topic: greatest Stones related news in years!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 3, 2009 13:11

No one knows for sure quite how much footage was shot by the Maysles. Technology was limited in those days and I've heard that movie film lasted about 20 minutes so unless they were really co-ordinated - which I doubt - there would have been breaks in the filming when they changed reels.

Apparently there was a private viewing in New York recently but I don't know any more about it than that.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 3, 2009 13:12

I hope they also re-release Ya-Yas on vinyl with a second record with the bonus tracks....

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: September 3, 2009 13:53

Hey, don´t talk... run and buy it! excellent!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 3, 2009 14:08

Looks awesome indeed!

Although I'll also be a bit disappointed if the DVD only contains familiar stuff from Gimme Shelter.

And FIVE songs on one CD is a bit of a waste of plastic, although I am of course happy to get those bonus tracks at all. I also do prefer original albums without bonus stuff following immediately after the last original track, so I guess I'm happy with it.

The private Maysles cinema viewing of '69 material was said to be awesome, so lets hope that he got some of that onto this release. (Crossing my fingers for a complete Sympathy for the Devil performance!)

I wonder if the Stones themselves care about this at all. I get the feeling that they're not involved with anything that ABKCO does. For example, I never read any comment from the Stones on the Rock 'n' Roll Circus release. Either way, I wonder why ABKCO took so long before releasing this stuff, or other bonus tracks, if they've never actually been nixed by Mick or any in the Stones camp. Perhaps it has something to do with Allen Klein's death and possible personnel changes at the ABKCO office.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 3, 2009 14:18

I do like that they've kept the original release separated from the bonuses. I think that it is the "right" thing to do.
Of course a lot depends also on the content of the dvd but imho it is safe to say that it looks like a well-made product

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 3, 2009 14:24

LieB

(Crossing my fingers for a complete Sympathy for the Devil performance!)

From what I've read, you'll get that on the new region 2 version of Gimme Shelter, along with Stray Cat and Live With Me on sept.21st.
I'm hoping on a complete version of Street Fighting Man and Rambler on the Ya Ya's DVD...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-03 14:29 by S.T.P.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 3, 2009 14:39

well i am not sure what to think about the b.b. king and ike turner cd. do i have to pay for that even if i don´t want it. let me get this clear, i buy a rolling stones product and get 25% b.b. king/turner? i don´t understand this, sorry.

i also think they could have included the extra tracks on the first cd.

that would have been 1 cd and one dvd instead of a expensive 4cd box.

the cd i already have, so all i want is the dvd and (maybe) the extra tracks.
i can download those in an instant shortly anyway.

can i please have that dvd separated, thanks.
and only if it´s really different from gimme shelter.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 3, 2009 14:49

Matt
I expected so much from this release, but I'm afraid I'm a little disappointed.
Disc 1 is the original release. OK, I have the original in three different releases, so nothing new there. Disc 2 says unreleased tracks. How many? What's been discussed here before is three tracks. I really hope there are some more, AND I would have wanted them included in the original to make it like a complete show. Disc 3, OK I like BB.King and Ike&Tina Turner, but this disc won't give anything more of the Rolling Stones. Disc 4 is a DVD that we still don't know much about. Let's hope for the complete show from 1969. Most deluxe versions of albums are also better soundwise or remixed, but in this case, we no nothing about that. In the worst case, the sound can be a step down from the 2002 remaster since that was DSP and SACD. And of course nothing said about surround sound, which I would have preferred, since live recordings in surround gives the ultimate experience of almost beeing there.
Mats

Congratulations. An in-depth slagging of a release that you haven't heard and of which you don't even know the contents. You've even managed to criticise how it will sound as well.

Inspired.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 3, 2009 14:53

stoneswashed77
well i am not sure what to think about the b.b. king and ike turner cd. do i have to pay for that even if i don´t want it. let me get this clear, i buy a rolling stones product and get 25% b.b. king/turner? i don´t understand this, sorry.

i also think they could have included the extra tracks on the first cd.

that would have been 1 cd and one dvd instead of a expensive 4cd box.

the cd i already have, so all i want is the dvd and (maybe) the extra tracks.
i can download those in an instant shortly anyway.

can i please have that dvd separated, thanks.
and only if it´s really different from gimme shelter.

It amazes me how many people just nag for the sake of nagging.

What else should go in a de luxe edition of Ya Ya?

You are getting

1) the original Lp as it was (otherwise it wouldn't be a Ya Ya's edition but a new release of the NY concerts)

2) BB and tina's set (I mean, who would NOT want to hear their set? This was, by the way, the original plan for the album).

3) the songs in the set list that were not included in the original LP (I do not have the details yet, but I am quite sure that to fill the cd they will probably add also some more material. Who knows, the unedited LP songs or other).

4) a DVD (again, I don't know what is going into this, but considering that a new release of Shelter is hitting the market, I assume that this is going to be something different)

C

Date: September 3, 2009 15:01

That's correct, Liddas - the music by the opening acts was originally intended for release on a double LP of the '69 tour. Think of it as a 'Ya Yas Restored'.

People seem to forget that they can only release what they have in their vaults. I doubt theyre suddenly going to start editing 40 year old concert recordings. They only released 10 songs from the four shows that were taped. Several of them were edited and/or had some overdubs added. Would have been nice to have got more than 5 songs (ie alternate versions or mixes of the original 10 songs) but maybe thats all there is that were edited and mixed for release.

Seriously, folks. Some people need to f*ckin' wise up. A 3 disc and 1 DVD deluxe version of Get Yer Ya Yas Out.

How bad can it be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-03 15:05 by Gazza.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 3, 2009 15:01

exciting news!

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: September 3, 2009 15:10

they gotta be waiting for the 25 discs edition + 34 bonus dvds XD

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 3, 2009 15:10

yes we will have a deluxe very complete.
No complains will be heard or read. Got satisfaction here

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 3, 2009 15:24

Doxa
Father Ted
This looks absolutely T for Tremendous! If it's any good, it will raise the bar for future deluxe editions.

There seems already be a competion between it & EXILE... sometimes this ABKCO vs. RS records non-sense works for great results...

What will be the next round: BEGGARS BANQUET vs. SOME GIRLS?

- Doxa

I really do thope that the people working on Exile are paying attention!!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 3, 2009 15:33

Yeah, it's cool with the BB King and Ike & Tina Turner stuff. The Stones fans who don't wanna listen to 'em better blame themselves for not liking them. :-P

I like the idea with keeping the original Ya-Ya's, but -- in foresight -- I think I actually would prefer the whole concert as it was originally played, more as an "authentic" document of the MSG concerts (both complete concerts would be awesome) rather than a deluxe pack of the album. But I'm not complaining. Not me. Never. I'm always happy with what I get. Always.

Lastly, a question (because I'm lazy to not look it up myself): is the new Gimme Shelter DVD release coming from ABKCO (or in collaboration with ABKCO)? If so, it shouldn't contain much duplicating this Ya-Ya's box dvd.

Date: September 3, 2009 15:38

LieB
I like the idea with keeping the original Ya-Ya's, but -- in foresight -- I think I actually would prefer the whole concert as it was originally played, more as an "authentic" document of the MSG concerts (both complete concerts would be awesome) rather than a deluxe pack of the album. But I'm not complaining. Not me. Never. I'm always happy with what I get. Always.

Both? There's four shows featured on Ya Yas. Three from MSG and one from Baltimore.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: September 3, 2009 15:54

Gazza

Seriously, folks. Some people need to f*ckin' wise up. A 3 disc and 1 DVD deluxe version of Get Yer Ya Yas Out.

How bad can it be?

Exactly Gaz, this looks like an awesome release!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 3, 2009 15:57

Instead of BB and Tina on CD 3 there should have been outtakes from Let it Bleed or Sticky Fingers... much more intressting for me...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 3, 2009 15:58

Gazza
Matt
Disc 1 is the original release. OK, I have the original in three different releases, so nothing new there. Disc 2 says unreleased tracks. How many? What's been discussed here before is three tracks. I really hope there are some more, AND I would have wanted them included in the original to make it like a complete show. Disc 3, OK I like BB.King and Ike&Tina Turner, but this disc won't give anything more of the Rolling Stones. Disc 4 is a DVD that we still don't know much about. Let's hope for the complete show from 1969. Most deluxe versions of albums are also better soundwise or remixed, but in this case, we no nothing about that. In the worst case, the sound can be a step down from the 2002 remaster since that was DSP and SACD. And of course nothing said about surround sound, which I would have preferred, since live recordings in surround gives the ultimate experience of almost beeing there.
Mats

Congratulations. An in-depth slagging of a release that you haven't heard and of which you don't even know the contents. You've even managed to criticise how it will sound as well.

Inspired.

Some are never satisfied...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:01

nanker phelge
Gazza

How bad can it be?

Exactly Gaz, this looks like an awesome release!

I think the fear is that the contents of the first disc have been with us for 39 years, disc 2 is said to contain just 5 tracks, disc 3 isn't the Stones, and the DVD is an unknown at this stage.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:05

<<Yeah, it's cool with the BB King and Ike & Tina Turner stuff. The Stones fans who don't wanna listen to 'em better blame themselves for not liking them. :-P>>

Exactly. You simply can't get enough Ike & Tina live stuff
And since both acts originally was supposed to be included on the lp, including them here suits this upcoming release very well
Really exciting news this

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:06

Gazza
Both? There's four shows featured on Ya Yas. Three from MSG and one from Baltimore.

...and the fact that it was culled from four shows indicates that there is probably not one show that could be released in its entirety "as is" - which would require great playing, great vocals, in tune instruments and no recording technique faults throughout.

Which is perfectly ok with me. As an official document, I want the best performances, even if the "concert" is reconstructed from different shows. For warts'n'all, I have the bootlegs.

Date: September 3, 2009 16:09

It´s just incredible. I can´t fokkin believe it.
The Rolling Stones are clearly the only great rock act ( I am talking about really great here) that never had an at least
decent treatment by the reissue industry.
Even the Beatles, after decades of just plain shit like "Ballads" or "rock´n´roll music" surrendered to naturality with the 3 volume "Anthology" series.
It seems that they fokking try to really wreck it every time. And I am not joking at this point. It seems this side of their career is just...HAUNTED. Let´s hope they one day manage to really open their eyes and see what great things are in the vaults.
Now, if the DVD is a re-baked "Gimme Shelter" for the upteenth time, even with extras, it will reason for slaughter. Cold blood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-03 16:13 by Gibson Fender-Nanker.

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:13

Talk about a stimulus package! I await this one. Album of the year? Natch!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:20

i find extremely good that they included the opening acts, THOSE opening acts.
some complain the fact that they kept the bonus songs in a separate disc, i find this a thoughtful choice and professional. The original pressed recording has by now an historical value in and for itself. It's a work of art as it is and everything added must be put at its side.

But hey, really i find it hard to understand complaing of that, hey! just take a look at the package! come on!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:32

>> Lastly, a question (because I'm lazy to not look it up myself): is the new Gimme Shelter DVD release coming from ABKCO
(or in collaboration with ABKCO)? If so, it shouldn't contain much duplicating this Ya-Ya's box dvd. <<

it seems like the upcoming European release of Gimme Shelter must have the same relationship with ABKCO
as the Criterion edition did: it's not an ABKCO product, but they needed ABKCO's permission, licences, etc.

my main question at this point is:
does anyone have a link to where the upcoming Ya-Yas is being offered by a Europe-based vendor?
i hope they're not going to make us wait for it just because we're getting a new GS

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:35

Matt
Disc 1 is the original release. OK, I have the original in three different releases, so nothing new there. Disc 2 says unreleased tracks. How many? What's been discussed here before is three tracks. I really hope there are some more, AND I would have wanted them included in the original to make it like a complete show.

Normally, I prefer to have the bonus cuts on expanded live releases kept separate from the original album. When Live At Leeds and Rock And Roll Animal were expanded, the bonus material was inserted INTO the previously released material in order to recreate the actual order in which the songs were performed, but since the orginal versions have gone out of print, those original albums are now, in effect, "lost". That WON'T be the case here, however, since the original single-disc, 10-song Ya-Ya's will still, presumably, remain available, so, in THIS instance, for the Deluxe box set, it definitely would have been better to insert the extra tracks INTO the setlist in their correct running order. Of course, this COULD have to do with the issue of overdubbing. If the extra tracks have no overdubs, because none were ever recorded back in 1970, and they decided, correctly, I think, that it's too late to record them now, they may have wanted to keep the bonus tracks separate because the bonus track vocals will sound too raw compared to the overdubbed vocals on the original album, and they didn't want to emphasize the difference by having raw vocals on the same disc as overdubbed vocals.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-03 16:41 by tatters.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:36

Well, I guess it is the DVD that should make it worth:
one CD with only 5 extra numbers? Big deal.
once CD with two artists you may like - or not may like.....
the DVD: who knows?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:39

yeah I like the opening acts being included - it will give the perfect representation of the MSG shows...the pre-show build-up etc..

the one issue I have - should we buy the Gimme Shelter DVD due to be released on sept 21st if in fact the Ya Ya's dvd will have the same "extras" on the bonus dvd ??

it's a nice dilemma to have !!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2259
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home