Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 4, 2008 04:41

Are you SERIOUS? Quote: CS Blues (I heard the "F" word on TV last night - I'm as tolerant as the next state pol but something must be done to reign in the onslaught of Toilet talk, beamed directly into American homes.).

You've GOT to be kidding me!

You know that Think I'm Going Mad is from the ER sessions, not Undercover (unless you meant ER instead of U).

Bring on the remixes and the edit versions and the unreleased - bring it all on. give us EVERYTHING on CD for ONCE. That is what I want. I want it all. Why not?

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 4, 2008 11:28

>> Also...even though those RW releases were great...they were available in the same quality on bootleg. <<

whoa - now you're exaggerating, Erik_Snow honey, or are having a "how quickly we forget" moment:
if the Universal "deluxe editions" are comparable to Ronnie's Kilburn release that will be 100% brilliant -
the Kilburn release has all that gorgeous footage that wasn't in circulation before,
as well as other improvements over the bootleg. true that the Largo release is not as spectacular an upgrade,
but it was remastered, and it sounds great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-04 12:06 by with sssoul.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 4, 2008 11:47

with sssoul : Largo is not an "upgrade". It is just the bootleg released on official cd, nothing less, nothing more.

Date: September 4, 2008 12:05

>> [Largo] is just the bootleg released on official cd, nothing less, nothing more. <<

i know it's the same source material as the bootleg. but it was remastered. it sounds really good.
the only thing i don't like about it is the fact that some of the between-songs material was edited,
sometimes quite weirdly. smile: until those edits jarred me i never realized i have the Largo bootleg memorized. :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-04 12:14 by with sssoul.

Date: September 4, 2008 14:31

<You know that Think I'm Going Mad is from the ER sessions, not Undercover (unless you meant ER instead of U).>

I think they did a new version with Keith on vocals for Undercover. It was included on my copy of Undercover Outtakes anyway.

Date: September 4, 2008 17:24

Ahhh

And then they promptly lost the master to Mad. Morons.

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 4, 2008 17:26

The Universal editions simply have to offer something more than just a duplicate of the Virgin/CBS remasters. That said, I preferred the CBS CD's to the Virgin. The Virgin issues had the edge on packaging; that's about it.

The thing is, better technology these days or not, how many times can you remaster a recording?

I've also been saying for years that The Stones could put out Brussels '73 -pick your favourite version- AS IS and it would sell a kazillion copies. I think the band is seriously doing a great disservice to their fans by constantly overlooking their unreleased live and studio material. "Rarities" was probably an insult to the intelligence of even casual fans.

Let us hope that the third time will be the charm when it comes to offering 'definitive' versions of the albums. Now is the time to set things straight once and for all regarding The Rolling Stones' discography.

Date: September 4, 2008 17:31

With no official word yet from Universal about any of this, I'm starting to really wonder if anything is going to happen or will it just be a recall on all the Virgin records where they just stamp the new logo over the Virgin logo and then put them back out (what a fantastic way to lose money no matter)...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 4, 2008 19:37

skipstone I figured we both been around IORR long enough that you'd get my 'toilet talk' bit was sarcasm??? And I know "Mad" was recorded earlier, but it came out in 1984 as the b-side of She Was Hot - I mean they frequently ressurected and polished 'older' tracks when such tracks seemd to better fit on a later album.
And isn't Let's Spend Some Time Together a nicer, more family friendly lyric than the better know LSTNT ??

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 4, 2008 19:59

with sssoul
>> Also...even though those RW releases were great...they were available in the same quality on bootleg. <<

whoa - now you're exaggerating, Erik_Snow honey, or are having a "how quickly we forget" moment:
if the Universal "deluxe editions" are comparable to Ronnie's Kilburn release that will be 100% brilliant -
the Kilburn release has all that gorgeous footage that wasn't in circulation before,
as well as other improvements over the bootleg. true that the Largo release is not as spectacular an upgrade,
but it was remastered, and it sounds great.

Oh yes, you are correct as always, with Sssoul - there's some "new" footage in the Kilburn 1974 set - very nice. Anyways, I never meant to complain about Ronnie's releases - as I wrote; he's in the position of being able to take more risks than Rolling Stones when it comes to "vault" releases.
It's still a fact that 95% of the material he chose to release if familiar to us hardcores. And I'd be very surprised if the new Universal Records releases would be much different, percentage-wise. Just my opinion/hunch.....let's hope I'm wrong

Date: September 4, 2008 20:06

Sorry there john r. Now that you've pointed it out, that is funny that you said it like that - especially the Keith commnet! DUH! That's happened a lot to me with the Gustav aftermath - people saying obvious things that are funny in a serious voice and I always get caught...it's raining right now. After it's done raining I've got some branches to go cut up etc...

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 4, 2008 21:56

georgelicks
VL sold 4 million copies in 1994 and 1.5 million copies in 1995. The album has sold 6 million by sure since it sold over 200k in US alone since 1996.

I remember reading Voodoo Lounge to be their best selling album in Germany then - that must have been as late as 1995 when they toured Germany - with almost or about 1 million copies.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 5, 2008 02:45

barbabang
with sssoul : Largo is not an "upgrade". It is just the bootleg released on official cd, nothing less, nothing more.
And you know this how? I'm not privy to if Ron had access to the original tape or video or not. Or do you know that he went out and picked up a boot for the engineer to work with? I certainly dont know.
with sssoul-it sure would have been nice if Ron had put a dvd/cd set together for the Largo show!! Is there any more news about the Barbarians MSG legit release if you know? I sure wish they had recorded the Ft Worth show(or maybe they did),the boys were really in top form that night!

Date: September 5, 2008 11:20

the Largo release does have the same audience-source JJF as the bootleg.
since that number is clearly missing from the master material, it's hard to see
what else the record company could have done but use the best available audience source.
i suppose they could have left out JJF altogether, but somehow i don't think barabang would call that an "upgrade" either. :E

(sorry but the "but we already HAVE this" complaint doesn't sit well with me.
if we already have bootleg material, that's because we sought out stuff we're not supposed to have.
complaining about it always sounds to me like "but i already stole this from your closet -
now hand me some of the stuff i couldn't reach, dammit!" )

meanwhile, scottkeef, the Barbarians' Fort Worth show was recorded and is in circulation.
the bootleg is entitled Meat Is Murder, for some reason. and yeah it is hot!
i hope you can get ahold of it ... or that Wooden Records releases it for you soon. :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-06 12:09 by with sssoul.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: September 5, 2008 11:35

[
it always sounds to me like "but i already stole this from your closet -
now hand me some of the stuff i couldn't reach, dammit!" )

Ha Ha I like that- very true!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 5, 2008 16:22

Thanks, with sssoul> Yes I do have the cd you mention but (as charged up as it is)its an AUD recording and I thought maybe they recorded it in SB since theres so many other shows that were. Hey,now that would be a recording to "matrix", huh?I mean since the sbs sare a little sterile but to put them together would give you the quality AND the great ambience(?). If most of the sbs were taken from videos though I dont remember any cameras at the Ft Worth show but I was in the lower balcony(Keiths side) and all my attention was on the band so its possible. If so that must be WAY BACK in the closet!!

Date: September 5, 2008 22:26

Hey, wasn't there something about some album(s) being released on the last Tuesday in August? Did they come out? Or was that a bunch of crap too?

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 7, 2008 09:46

X

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-09 19:46 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: September 7, 2008 10:39

It's About Time to bring out ROLLING STONES STORY 1 , 2 & 3 . Dutch Double Records 1975 .. hot smiley

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 7, 2008 10:43

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-09 19:46 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 8, 2008 12:53

I think they can release a Singles Collection like the one released in 1989 with the singles from 1963 - 1970, but this time 1971 - 2007.
Perhaps 4 or 5 CDs if they includes all the B sides in 12"s and CD singles....

And maybe 4 boxes with individual CD singles, like the 3 ones released around 3 years ago.

Date: September 8, 2008 17:48

I would love to have Time Waits For No One on CD. That would be excellent.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 10, 2008 21:09

Some sources claims that this record comes with a different version of Time Waits For No One.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 13, 2008 06:47

Isn't something gonna happen soon?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 13, 2008 09:09

Reissues don't get me excited, CDs of new material do.

"A Bigger Bang" could use a remastering job, though, taking away a chunk of the overly loud compression that makes Mick's voice sound like he's just shouting at the top of his lungs all the time - plus "Under the Radar" and "We Don't Wanna Go Home (the long mix)" as bonus tracks.

But why not add a 3rd disc to "Forty Licks" to add some of the full versions of the "unique edits" and correct that album's flaws in the process?

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 13, 2008 13:41

Rufestone
It's About Time to bring out ROLLING STONES STORY 1 , 2 & 3 . Dutch Double Records 1975 .. hot smiley
Why get all excited about those?
I mean, they contain nothing that is not on other issues.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 13, 2008 16:09

Sorry to add this quick question to this thread...but i didn't
think it warranted a new thread.....

i was at a used cd shop the other day...and came across what i believed to
be the Virgin "Collector's Edition" of Tattoo You. It actually looked like
a miniature lp but it didn't have the plastic case...so i wasn't exactly
sure. Even without the plastic case, the packaging was slightly larger than
a normal cd. am i correct? please confirm. thanks.

(keep in mind that it wass ussed..at a used cd shop...and re-shrinkwrapped.
possible that the original plastic case was lost or something..)

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-13 16:12 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 13, 2008 16:26

no the TY remaster was released on regular jewel case cd. I am curious about the one you mention.

Just listening to Black and blue remaster with my new Marantz SA15. No need remastering for sure.
Just listen to your records with the right stuff spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: September 13, 2008 17:11

skipstone

Ehm...that's already available. Just go to your record shop and buy a copy of the
IORR-album.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 13, 2008 17:26

RollingStonesFan
skipstone

Ehm...that's already available. Just go to your record shop and buy a copy of the
IORR-album.

I think skipstone is referring to this compilation:

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2274
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home