Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 30, 2008 19:55

yeah but what are they going to do to them to make them deluxe besides the obvious remastering, any info yet???????

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 30, 2008 20:06

No

There is NO info on this story other than whats contained in the original post.

Universal and the Stones havent even confirmed that there are any plans to do anything with their back catalogue as yet .

Date: August 30, 2008 20:25

ok, thanks

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 30, 2008 23:28

Lorenz
I have recently purchased a couple of AC/DC's remastered CDs and couldn't help but notice how great they sound in comparison to the latest Stones CDs. Sticky Fingers for example seems so muddy in comparison.

Totally agree. The sound quality of the Virgin Sticky Fingers remaster also pales in comparison to the more recent back-catalogue remasters of the Doors, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, Genesis, Pretenders, Police, Eagles, Steve Miller, Beach Boys, Paul Simon, Robert Plant, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, Dire Straits, and CCR, just to name a few...

Drew

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: August 31, 2008 07:04

nothing official so no deluxe release.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 31, 2008 08:19

eems so muddy in comparison.
[/quote]

Totally agree. The sound quality of the Virgin Sticky Fingers remaster also pales in comparison to the more recent back-catalogue remasters of the Doors, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, Genesis, Pretenders, Police, Eagles, Steve Miller, Beach Boys, Paul Simon, Robert Plant, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, Dire Straits, and CCR, just to name a few...

Drew[/quote]

Have the Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Tom Petty and CCR albums been remastered? Not heard much about that here in the UK. I heard there were some expensive Japanese imports for Steve Miller's Capitol albums but nothing more.

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: August 31, 2008 14:00

These albums have been remastered a dozen times.. no extra tracks back then and there won't be any now.

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Date: August 31, 2008 15:17

Silver Dagger

Have the Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Tom Petty and CCR albums been remastered? Not heard much about that here in the UK. I heard there were some expensive Japanese imports for Steve Miller's Capitol albums but nothing more.

Hi Silver Dagger,

All those artists have had parts (but not all) of their back catalogue remastered (a remastered Green River is actually coming out in about a month). I should have probably chose my words a bit more carefully.

Cheers,
Drew

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 31, 2008 15:29

While on the subject of remasters:
Not only do I REALLY want some great new versions of The Stones' catalogue, but also I want The Beatles' catalogue. There were rumors that they'd come last year and nothing happened. Some story goes for 2008. But now, maybe, there's something substantial regarding The Beatles remasters. The Steve Hoffman forum has a post concerning this. [www.stevehoffman.tv]
Apparently Paul McCartney speaks about the issue in next month's Mojo Magazine.
There were talks of The White Album coming out this year as the first one (40 year anniversary edition). Talks and rumors even expanded to DeLuxe editions with 5.1 surround sound, stereo and mono mixes of almost all albums. Some of them also including the 1987 rebalanced mixes (Talks for 5.1 surround sound was apparently for everything after Revolver).

I'd like to see scans from the Macca interview in Mojo, but I guess it's not out yet anywhere?

It seems like plans for the entire Beatles catalogue is slated for a 2009 release.

Here's to hoping for some great Stones remasters and some great Beatles remasters.

smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 31, 2008 16:02

JumpingKentFlash

Here's to hoping for some great Stones remasters and some great Beatles remasters.

smiling smiley

Cheers to that!

Drew

Date: August 31, 2008 16:23

SimonV
These albums have been remastered a dozen times.. no extra tracks back then and there won't be any now.

then why do it

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 31, 2008 16:47

melillo
then why do it

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 31, 2008 16:51

It is happening. I just spoke to some folks involved. Cross yer fingers fer some goodies. Too early for any real skinny, but it IS planned.

DB

Date: August 31, 2008 17:09

Erik_Snow
melillo
then why do it

not if nobody buys it, because i know damn well i wont if its just remasters, thats just plain silly

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 31, 2008 17:16

Just got an inside-tip of the bonus tracks that will be included on "Rarities" - as a seperate CD-single....can't mention the source

Here's the info/sources

*DISC 2*
1. Saint Of Me (Deep Dish Grunge Remix) (Parts 1 & 2)
2. Rocks Off (Live 2003. This version is ONLY to be found on "Live Licks", untill now)
3. Rock And A Hard Place (Oh-Oh Hard Dub Mix - extremely rare!)
4. Crackin Up (from CLUB SHOW in Toronto 1977!)
5. Any Way You Look At It (NEVER RELEASED before, apart from on a rare out-of-print cd-single)
6. Beast Of Burden (Live 1981! This excellent live version can also be found on disc 1 of Rarities)
7. Far Away EYes (often overlooked rarity, that was the B-side for "Miss You" in 1978)
8. Thru & Thru (STUDIO version. DIFFERENT from the LIVE version on disc 1 of rarities!!)
9. Let It Rock (Leeds 1971 - presented in MONO here, for your pleasure)
10. Out Of Control (Live 1995, promotional version! - edited to 3:35 for this Rarities compilation)

Date: August 31, 2008 17:18

melillo
its just remasters, thats just plain silly

Hi Melillo,

I'm curious if you think that the Virgins sound as good as the 2002 ABKCO remasters?

For me, the ABKCO remasters make Beggar's Banquet etc SO much more pleasurable to listen to, and they make the Virgins pale (no pun intended) by comparison.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Drew

Date: August 31, 2008 17:23

well i only have the abkco remasters, and yes they are fantastic, and i will without a doubt NOT be getting the universal release if its just remasters with no bonus stuff

Date: August 31, 2008 17:24

Erik_Snow
Just got an inside-tip of the bonus tracks that will be included on "Rarities" - as a seperate CD-single....can't mention the source

Here's the info/sources

*DISC 2*
1. Saint Of Me (Deep Dish Grunge Remix) (Parts 1 & 2)
2. Rocks Off (Live 2003. This version is ONLY to be found on "Live Licks", untill now)
3. Rock And A Hard Place (Oh-Oh Hard Dub Mix - extremely rare!)
4. Crackin Up (from CLUB SHOW in Toronto 1977!)
5. Any Way You Look At It (NEVER RELEASED before, apart from on a rare out-of-print cd-single)
6. Beast Of Burden (Live 1981! This excellent live version can also be found on disc 1 of Rarities)
7. Far Away EYes (often overlooked rarity, that was the B-side for "Miss You" in 1978)
8. Thru & Thru (STUDIO version. DIFFERENT from the LIVE version on disc 1 of rarities!!)
9. Let It Rock (Leeds 1971 - presented in MONO here, for your pleasure)
10. Out Of Control (Live 1995, promotional version! - edited to 3:35 for this Rarities compilation)

Erik...you're one cynical little bastard at times..LOL

Date: August 31, 2008 17:27

drewmaster
I'm curious if you think that the Virgins sound as good as the 2002 ABKCO remasters?

For me, the ABKCO remasters make Beggar's Banquet etc SO much more pleasurable to listen to, and they make the Virgins pale (no pun intended) by comparison.

In fairness, there was a lot of room for improvement with the ABKCO remasters when you look at what was available before

Date: August 31, 2008 17:35

melillo
well i only have the abkco remasters, and yes they are fantastic, and i will without a doubt NOT be getting the universal release if its just remasters with no bonus stuff

Do you think the Virgins are fantastic too? If not, why the refusal to get something much better if it becomes available? Just curious...

Date: August 31, 2008 18:18

Cant answer for melillo, drew - but I would imagine his answer will be similar to mine.

The idea of forking out about £300 to buy albums I already own 3,4 or 5 times over isnt really that appealing, and some of us do have other things we'd rather spend our hard earned cash on - especially if there isnt the caveat of getting any 'new' recordings.

A few tweaks here and there to slightly improve things isnt enough to justify it. Most fans arent audiophiles who feel the need to buy every re repackage just because there might be a relatively tiny upgrade. Seriously, how MUCH better can they make something sound? The Virgin remasters are good enough for me.

Plus, at this stage of our lives, while the sound quality might be improving slightly, our hearing certainly isnt doing the same!

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: August 31, 2008 20:02

Yes, the company is working hard to do some nice remaster, to find some outtakes and raritis and put it together to some Deluxe Editions. Universal will release them, beginning in 2009, probably.

But first you can find the "New Universal Stones" for digital download in the next few weeks or so.

BTW: The "Biggest Bang" DVD will get a release as Blu-ray this year, before Christmas.

And there are still rumours the Stones will release some very new stuff next year, too.

And don't forget to buy Tim Ries new album: Stones World!
(release date Oktober 2008) [www.hmv.co.jp]

Date: August 31, 2008 20:53

Gazza
Cant answer for melillo, drew - but I would imagine his answer will be similar to mine.

The idea of forking out about £300 to buy albums I already own 3,4 or 5 times over isnt really that appealing, and some of us do have other things we'd rather spend our hard earned cash on - especially if there isnt the caveat of getting any 'new' recordings.

A few tweaks here and there to slightly improve things isnt enough to justify it. Most fans arent audiophiles who feel the need to buy every re repackage just because there might be a relatively tiny upgrade. Seriously, how MUCH better can they make something sound? The Virgin remasters are good enough for me.

Plus, at this stage of our lives, while the sound quality might be improving slightly, our hearing certainly isnt doing the same!

Hi Gazza--

As much as I too don't like to part with my hard-earned cash, the $18 I spent on the ABKCO remaster of Beggar's was worth it twenty times over. I just can't grasp how anyone who appreciates the ABKCO remasters would be unwilling to spend $18 to get a similarly awesome-sounding Sticky Fingers or Exile (ok, so maybe not Dirty Work!!).

Cheers,
Drew

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 31, 2008 21:28

Gazza, I'm surely not an audiophile (which is, of course mostly a matter of lacking funds and/or other priorities), but when you listen to the Virgin remasters (are those the ones with the orginal LP labels, e.g. the zip for Sticky? i got those) and compare it to recently remastered albums from around the same time, you can't help but notice how lame the Stones sound is!

However, I don't owe most of the Stones albums in hard copy, actually. Not in one place anway, some of them are at my parents place etc. So for me it will actually be an opportunity to get at least those 19 albums. I realize that you guys have already various copies of the same album, so I don't represent the majority here.

However, we got two good sources confirming that they actually WORK on including outtakes etc. While this doesn't mean that we will actually get those outtakes (we all know what can happen to things that are worked on - Memory Motel, original Live Licks setlist, etc) but that is something to hope for!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-31 21:31 by Lorenz.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 31, 2008 22:57

I can confirm that Universal is working on something. However, my contact at Universal could´nt say what and when, as very little info has has been given within the company. But there is for sure some product coming our way.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: August 31, 2008 23:23

If we're getting an extra disc of material as suggested, then they'll definitely have my cash for each of them. Anything less than that, I'll just be downloading the extras from i tunes.

Date: August 31, 2008 23:24

dito!

Date: August 31, 2008 23:28

drewmaster

Hi Gazza--

As much as I too don't like to part with my hard-earned cash, the $18 I spent on the ABKCO remaster of Beggar's was worth it twenty times over.

It was worth $360 ? Methinks thou dost exaggerate!!!!tongue sticking out smiley

drewmaster
I just can't grasp how anyone who appreciates the ABKCO remasters would be unwilling to spend $18 to get a similarly awesome-sounding Sticky Fingers or Exile (ok, so maybe not Dirty Work!!).

Cheers,
Drew

For a few, yes (although they cost more than $18 here). Not for 19 albums though. Sorry. The key is that the Decca albums pre-ABKCO remasters were awful - the current Virgin remasters are fine to my ears. So, to me, they're not exactly crying out for an upgrade. Had they not existed and we were stuck with the CBS versions, I could see your point, though.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: August 31, 2008 23:29

Gazza
If we're getting an extra disc of material as suggested, then they'll definitely have my cash for each of them. Anything less than that, I'll just be downloading the extras from i tunes.

Hi Gazza,

I'm told, there will be some double discs, may be some triple one, some comes with outtakes and b-sides, some with a DVD (video), too.

So, let's sit and wait ...

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 31, 2008 23:33

Guess the next tour will be named the "Deluxe World Tour" smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1956
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home