Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 23, 2008 21:21

Rocky Dijon
Hip-O Records is releasing these. From what I've heard, these are vanilla releases. The Virgin masters with new logos slapped on 'em just like the Atlantic reissues of Mick's first two solo discs in 1993. They are expected to hit shelves quite soon.

This will probably be the case. That would explain the press release's claim that nineteen CDs will be released "in the coming months". If these were TRUE "Deluxe" editions, they would most likely appear one at a time, with release dates so far apart it would take YEARS before all of them were out.

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 23, 2008 21:30

Angus MacBagpipe
I loved the ABKCo remasters, and I agree with the comments that we'll get an "improved" sound, nothing more. The Stones' history points that way- they're not known for their generosity.

You can look at it as lack of generosity, or instead as quality control.
The Stones have been pretty careful (with some glaring exceptions) not to release stuff that many would consider filler. If the Stones don't like the stuff in the vaults, they have every right not to officially release it, methinks.

Drew

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:14

These DeLuxe releases by Universal (The Who's My Generation, Lynyrd Skynyrd's One More From The Road etc. etc.). are all expanded with an extra disc. Is there any examples of the Universal DeLuxe editions that HAS NOT been expanded with a second (Or even third) disc? I think that if all the DeLuxe releases by other artists has been expanded, why wouldn't The Stones' catalogue get the same?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:20

There's nothing to suggest that technology can't keep improving sound reproduction, in the same way that there's nothing to suggest that, say, a silicon chip the size of a thumbnail can't do twenty times more things in ten years time than it can now.

The question becomes 'will we be able to appreciate the difference'. Computers doubling in efficiency every x years is discernable insofar as you can measure the capacity of a hard drive, or a processor in quantifiable terms rather than the more ethereal 'it just sounds richer' criteria we'd use with sound reproduction.

My point, rather poorly made, is that we reach a point where the marginal improvement in sound through advances in technology is almost non-discernable and the only demonstration that the signal coming thru your speakers is clearer than before is by means of some boffin with a graph pointing out OLD v NEW. That and the fact that the re-released Super-Duper-Audio-CD version of Exile in 2018 will probably cost you the price of a kidney or something

Factor in as well guys that, er, we're getting older and our hearing is getting worse so even if the sound is demonstrably better, you'll need the finely tuned ears of a youngster to fully appreciate it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, i'm off to put on that movie Cocoon. Loud. With the subtitles displayed. As soon as i find my glasses, that is...grinning smiley

I guess i'm of the old school. I never had a record player as a kid, and due to constant moving and so forth never got around to buying one. Not having the original vinyl as a yardstick, i'm happy with the Virgin ones; sometimes its the songs and not really the sound that do the work!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:27

One thing to consider with the Universal Deluxe Editions is that, as far as I know, the standard single-disc versions of the albums are still in print.

Bonus tracks or not, I hope they don't brickwall the hell out of the sound when they do the remastering.

One thought as to why Some Girls isn't on the list - of all the post-'71 albums, SG might be the most viable title for a double-disc treatment. Think about it - original album plus all the various Miss You disco versions, the b-sides, the 8-track only mixes/edits, the promo version of Before They Make Me Run, and maybe some King Biscuit stuff from the '78 tour. I think I might even have a Beast Of Burden promo single with a mono mix on the flip, too.

So there'd be PLENTY of stuff all already released to deluxe-ify Some Girls.

Date: August 24, 2008 01:37

If they come out this year it would be very weird if Some Girls isn't there. SG has a 30 year anniversary this year and must be included.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:52

I've just sold all my old cds from Sticky Fingers to Shine A Light. When will the 2-disc versions be hitting stores?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:58

Just came back from a night out, having a couple of beers, and read quickly all the new messages. First of all : The ABCKO remasters : It is VERY unclear exactly what they did with their (not even shure if it where the masters!) tapes. Allen Klein and co. "gave " their results of mastering to Bob Ludwig to work with. Bob didn't get the masters to begin with. Results : Okay, but nothing more than that.
The whole process remains shoddy! I'm not convinced in the good deeds from Klein and co. and not shure that they have the real masters.It all could have done in a much more transparent way (communicating directly in the press) and better sounding (really!, just listen to an original decca LP, it still sounds better)

Regarding the deluxe versions : I'm mildly optimistic, in that the sonic improvements MIGHT be there, and that we MIGHT get 'new ' unreleased (on cd) mixes and b- sides.

About the sonics (and this is VERY easy to do) If you want improvements : use the master tapes. Do a half speed vinyl mastering from it on 180 grams vinyl. When digital: DON't brickwall it to death! But instead do a "flat"transfer for high resolution (Blue Ray, or DVD-A, Super Audio is almost dead) and also a NON- Brickwalled cd version of course.

It is not difficult at all to do (and it will sell)

Be transparent to what you want to do with the music (extensive liner notes, etc)

If they don't do it this way, someone will do good needledrops from Virgin, and Decca (think Dr. Ebbettt, but possible even better than that) vinyl pressings on good equipment and the results will be better than, say the 'Virgin remasters from 1994.

At this point I'm not even talk about the trillions of alternate mixes, and alternate takes and outtakes in genereral that are rotting away in the vaults.

Luckely I do like other bands and artists who put these things out for their fans.

Still waiting for this from my favorite band.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-24 02:04 by barbabang.

Date: August 24, 2008 01:59

cirrhosis
I've just sold all my old cds from Sticky Fingers to Shine A Light. When will the 2-disc versions be hitting stores?

Christ. You waste no time my man. grinning smiley
What if it's announced that they won't be out until summer next year?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 24, 2008 03:11

Funny how Lost Legal Live Tracks not only is much better than and should have been how Rarities was but also has Gimme Shelter on it twice.

That Max version of Street Fighting Man is so weak.

Eh? Don't have a record player in your car? Technically a CD is a record so you do have one in your car. Now, a turntable is a different matter...

I truly don't get how someone could listen to the CBS issues and think they actually sound better than the Virgin reissues. That is so not true. It's almost painfully obvious that the Virgin reissues blow away the original CD issues. At least up through Black And Blue and then only Tattoo You, since most of that was from those albums that needed help anyway.

I don't have the ABKCO Remasters, I only have Forty Licks and I thought the ABKCO record sounds fantastic and just as good as the Virgin record. So I really don't know how much better they can make them sound.

Date: August 24, 2008 03:39

[new.umusic.com]

Weird thing here. They Stones CDs are listed as being released in the US on August 26th, 2008. That's in two days. Also there's some weird releases (Prolly some mistakes). One is called Mother's Little Helper with the cover from Flowers, and one that's called Hot Stuff with the cover from Black & Blue.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-24 03:40 by JumpingKentFlash.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 24, 2008 05:42

Optimistic.

I hope they do as they did with THE WHO and Elton John...
..a combination of additional tracks
...SACD 5.1 Surround hybrid
...second disk - LIVE

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 24, 2008 06:13

Justin
I expect a new remastered sound and that's it. No outtakes or alternate takes. Pessimistic? Yup...but that's the only way to look at Stones plans...

My renewed love in the band due to the Shine a Light film is not a beacon bright enough to blind me from the truth of that statement.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: August 24, 2008 11:21

Some Girls?

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: August 24, 2008 11:46

What a about Flashpoint?That had heaps of Bsides to the 7",CD,CD Maxi,Cassingle singles like Highwire,Ruby,JJF in some markets too.This one expanded with a bonus concert DVD of a show not released would be the ultimate dude!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 24, 2008 12:15

I'd like them to re-release them in good quality vinyl with covers that you can actually read.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 24, 2008 14:34

JuanTCB
Bonus tracks or not, I hope they don't brickwall the hell out of the sound when they do the remastering.
word. if this is the case, no sale here...the '94 virgin issues will suffice.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 24, 2008 15:37

JumpingKentFlash
These DeLuxe releases by Universal (The Who's My Generation, Lynyrd Skynyrd's One More From The Road etc. etc.). are all expanded with an extra disc. Is there any examples of the Universal DeLuxe editions that HAS NOT been expanded with a second (Or even third) disc? I think that if all the DeLuxe releases by other artists has been expanded, why wouldn't The Stones' catalogue get the same?

My guess is that the press release was written by someone who didn't know what the hell he or she is talking about. For the moment, All Universal is going to do, as Rocky Dijon has said, is slap their own logo on the already existing vanilla releases. Nothing "Deluxe" about it. You guys are all salivating over something that is a long, long way down the road .... if it's down the road at all.

Date: August 24, 2008 16:01

skipstone

Eh? Don't have a record player in your car? Technically a CD is a record so you do have one in your car. Now, a turntable is a different matter.

Are you serious?Sometimes I wonder why I waste my time on this board.In nearly three decades since CD's were introduced,I have never heard anyone refer to a compact disc as a record.A recording,yes.A record,no,although it technically may be one.Who cares?

Date: August 24, 2008 16:14

skipstone

I truly don't get how someone could listen to the CBS issues and think they actually sound better than the Virgin reissues. That is so not true. It's almost painfully obvious that the Virgin reissues blow away the original CD issues. At least up through Black And Blue and then only Tattoo You, since most of that was from those albums that needed help anyway.

I don't have the ABKCO Remasters, I only have Forty Licks and I thought the ABKCO record sounds fantastic and just as good as the Virgin record. So I really don't know how much better they can make them sound.

As I explained earlier,the Virgin CD's are just louder than the '80's CD's but,they have less depth and worse separation of instruments.The Virgin discs sound even less like vinyl than the earlier CD's did.This is apparent on a decent system.Emotional Rescue,for example does not have the sound quality of Beggars Banquet.Maybe it has something to do with the way that it was originally recorded but,it could very well also have something to do with the way that it was mastered.The Virgin CD's can get alot better.Compare the Virgin CD version of Winter to the vinyl LP version.The CD leaves definite room for improvement.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 24, 2008 16:32

Well a lot of bands still refer to a new CD coming out as "a new record" coming out. After all, a vinyl record is still a disc too. I get this with the band I'm in a lot - I always say Yes there are records for sale. 99% of the people get it. The new record coming out actually will be released on vinyl but regardless it's still a new record.

I dunno. I compared the Virgins to the CBS issues on a good system and found the CBS issues to be basically garbage. With exception to Undercover, Dirty Work and Steel Wheels.

Yeah, a deluxe of Flashpoint would be great - all of those extra live tracks properly cross faded to sound like a second live album (at least, that's what I would wish for - like the JJF EP is like with Play With Fire going into YCAGWYW). Because, for me, I didn't get all the EPs so I don't have 2000 Light Years and Harlem Shuffle. Because of Rarities I got the best one of them all, IJWTMKTY.

I'm wondering...if they went through all the effort to make the ABKCO remasters so pristine, how come JJF still has that moment of a lag in it where it sounds like someone leaned on the tape during mixdown for a second?

Date: August 24, 2008 16:58

tatters

My guess is that the press release was written by someone who didn't know what the hell he or she is talking about. For the moment, All Universal is going to do, as Rocky Dijon has said, is slap their own logo on the already existing vanilla releases. Nothing "Deluxe" about it. You guys are all salivating over something that is a long, long way down the road .... if it's down the road at all.

My read on this is that Universal will immediately slap their own logo on the Virgins, since obviously Universal now owns the whole catalog. But hopefully this press release is true, too, and Deluxe editions will be a reality in the coming months.

Anybody happen to remember what happened when Virgin bought the catalog? How long were the CBS discs still available in stores before Virgin pulled them and issued their remasters?

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-24 17:03 by drewmaster.

Date: August 24, 2008 17:27

Didn't they sign with Virgin in 1993 and then released Jump Back? Then the remasters came almost the same time as Voodoo Lounge (1994)? Or do I remember it all wrong?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 24, 2008 18:05

I think they signed with Virgin in late 1991 or early 1992 - Branson then sold the company a few months later to Thorn EMI (June 1992)...the Stones deal was basically what secured EMI's interest.

Jump Back came out in November 1993. I think you're right in stating that the remasters were issued to coincide with VL (July 1994) and the tour that followed.

Date: August 24, 2008 18:13

Gazza
I think they signed with Virgin in late 1991 or early 1992 - Branson then sold the company a few months later to Thorn EMI (June 1992)...the Stones deal was basically what secured EMI's interest.

Jump Back came out in November 1993. I think you're right in stating that the remasters were issued to coincide with VL (July 1994) and the tour that followed.

Were the CBS discs still for sale during all of this?

Drew

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 24, 2008 18:19

Until the remasters were issued? Most definitely.

Otherwise that would have meant a period of 2 and a half years with no post-1970 Stones albums available in the shops....which certainly wasnt the case.

Date: August 24, 2008 18:20

Gazza
Until the remasters were issued? Most definitely.

Otherwise that would have meant a period of 2 and a half years with no post-1970 Stones albums available in the shops....which certainly wasnt the case.

That's my recollection as well. It just seems strange that CBS was still making money from the back catalogue for 2 and half years after they'd lost the rights to it.

Drew

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 24, 2008 18:35

There could have just been remaining CBS stock on the shelves over that time frame, which was then yanked in summer '94 to make way for the Virgins.

I've gotta say, I prefer the CBS CDs of "Black & Blue" and "Some Girls" over their Virgin counterparts. They seem more natural-sounding, prolly more like the vinyl sounds.

Date: August 24, 2008 18:49

JuanTCB
There could have just been remaining CBS stock on the shelves over that time frame, which was then yanked in summer '94 to make way for the Virgins.

I wonder if CBS was still pocketing the sales of those, or if Virgin did.

Drew

Date: August 24, 2008 18:55

Even if there were two conflicting labels on the market in 1994 (CBS and Virgin/EMI), wouldn't Virgin/EMI still get the money for the CBS discs? I mean: A guy buys a CBS CD after the Stones signed with Virgin/EMI. Then Virgin/EMI gets the money right?

I also have a DVD from the VL Tour (Think it's the Halloween show). There's an extra disc for this bootleg release that speaks, amongst other things, about the new Virgin re-issues.

Another funny thing:
Remember that old No Security styled Stones website? It was official at the time. It had a news piece about some CDs that would be LP Album Replicas. But those came in 1994 right? Why have a news segment on a 5 year old fact like that? I never understood that.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home