Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 3, 2008 01:33

I have 'Let's Get It On' from Marvin Gaye, which is a great package with lots of extra material.
Nice booklet too well worth buying if you are into his music.

U2's deluxe editions don't have a lot of 'new' material, a lot of b-sides though.
Might be one explanation for low sales in Ireland. It is selling more than enough worldwide, and it will be more for christmas time and more before and during next worldtour. Don't worry!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-03 01:39 by barbabang.

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 3, 2008 01:37

wasnt talking about if it was selling or not, just that the bonus stuff is nothing new

Date: September 3, 2008 01:41

melillo
wasnt talking about if it was selling or not, just that the bonus stuff is nothing new

And that is dissappointing indeed, it has to offer value or I won't buy any of it.

Page 10!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-03 01:43 by barbabang.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: September 3, 2008 02:12

Gazza
Erik_Snow
Just got an inside-tip of the bonus tracks that will be included on "Rarities" - as a seperate CD-single....can't mention the source

Here's the info/sources

*DISC 2*
1. Saint Of Me (Deep Dish Grunge Remix) (Parts 1 & 2)
2. Rocks Off (Live 2003. This version is ONLY to be found on "Live Licks", untill now)
3. Rock And A Hard Place (Oh-Oh Hard Dub Mix - extremely rare!)
4. Crackin Up (from CLUB SHOW in Toronto 1977!)
5. Any Way You Look At It (NEVER RELEASED before, apart from on a rare out-of-print cd-single)
6. Beast Of Burden (Live 1981! This excellent live version can also be found on disc 1 of Rarities)
7. Far Away EYes (often overlooked rarity, that was the B-side for "Miss You" in 1978)
8. Thru & Thru (STUDIO version. DIFFERENT from the LIVE version on disc 1 of rarities!!)
9. Let It Rock (Leeds 1971 - presented in MONO here, for your pleasure)
10. Out Of Control (Live 1995, promotional version! - edited to 3:35 for this Rarities compilation)

Erik...you're one cynical little bastard at times..LOL

When I read the first post, that was my immediate thought. The B-sides and rarities "remastered" and lumped with the related album. Or for me not particularly interesting, the '03 and '06 versions of SF and EOMS songs being the deluxe discs for those albums.

But Jagger added Too Many Cooks and the Devils song to his recent solo compilation, so it seems he is willing to go back to the vaults. Of course, we already knew Too Many Cooks and the Devils stuff. So does this mean Criss Cross Man, Drift Away and perhaps Brussels will accompany GHS and the stuff we don't know about will still be part of the bequest to the band's offspring?

As some person-I-wish-we-could-forget said, there are knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns. If they put only "knowns" in the deluxe editions, that would be disappointing for me. If they added some known unknowns (as I believe was done for the Criterion Gimme Shelter release) to the deluxe editions, that would be wonderful. I still am hoping for unknown unknowns in the deluxe editions, but am not placing any bets. The wish list can be a separate thread.

And by the way, where do L&G and CB fit into all of this? I presume Universal did not buy the rights to those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-03 02:13 by Smokey.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 3, 2008 02:20

tatters
maumau
if i understand thi "deluxe edition" project from Universal it is not a re-release of the whole catalogue of any artist in a deleuxe format. If this happens for the Stones (which i hope of course) it is going to be an astounding exception.

Right. Not even the Who (a far more historic band than Sonic Youth), which began releasing Deluxe editions a DECADE ago, has had ALL their albums "deluxed". There are STILL no Deluxe editions of Quick One, Sell Out, Quadrophenia, Who By Numbers, Who Are You, Face Dances or It's Hard. The idea of the Stones having their ENTIRE post-Decca catalog "deluxed" is beyond preposterous.

There were expanded reissues of most of those albums however....

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 3, 2008 02:31

I know it's "familiar", but even if the Stones' 'deluxe' eds disappoint with familiar-to-fans material, I'd love bonus material consisting of b-sides, the best remixes, etc, there's plenty of stuff I have on vinyl 45s or scuffed 12-inch singles, etc that I'd love to have appended to the reissues. Voodoo Lounge would offer the 4 non-album single tracks, alternate mixes ("I Go Wild"), live material, and dance 'remixes'. Then there's "Stripped". Hopefully the Stones might dig deeper, but even if they don't....

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 3, 2008 05:56

I bet any deluxe package(s) won't arrive until the 2009 tour is announced.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 3, 2008 06:02

VoodooLounge13
I wonder, since it sold so well, could you consider Voodoo Lounge a modern day classic?? There's certainly enough for a second disc of outtakes, albeit all already owned.

Don't have the sales figures in front of me, but Sticky Fingers, Some Girls and Tatoo You are the biggest sellers. Each of those has probably sold twice as many copies as VL.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 3, 2008 06:25

VL sold 4 million copies in 1994 and 1.5 million copies in 1995. The album has sold 6 million by sure since it sold over 200k in US alone since 1996.

The only albums with better sales are:

12m
Hot Rocks

10m
Some Girls

7-8m
Forty Licks
Tattoo You
Sticky Fingers

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: September 3, 2008 12:25

Voodoo Lounge deluxe edition:

CD1-Voodoo Lounge

cd2-BONUS TRACKS:

1 SO YOUNG b-side
2 THE STORM b-side
3 JUMP ON TOP OF ME BABY b-side
4 IM'GONNA DRIVE b-side
5 I GO WILD (LIVE) b-side
6 HONEST MAN unrealesed
7 ZIP MOUTH ANGEL unrealesed
8 YOU GOT IT MADE unrealesed
9 MIDDLE OF THE SEA unrealesed
10 LOVE IS STRONG KR unrealesed
11 THE STORM (EXTENDED VERSION) unrealesed

DVD (Voodoo lounge dvd) + videos (love is strong, i go wild, out of tears, you got me rocking)

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 3, 2008 13:03

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-09 19:41 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 3, 2008 13:25

goingmad

cd2-BONUS TRACKS:

1 SO YOUNG b-side
2 THE STORM b-side
4 IM'GONNA DRIVE b-side
6 HONEST MAN unrealesed

They could add the very rare live renditions of
Brand New Car + Moon Is Up from 99 (Shepherd's Bush show)

The DVD could be the NYC concert that was sold on VHS at european venues in 95

Date: September 3, 2008 13:43

The possible tracklisting deserves it's own thread imho

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: September 3, 2008 14:39

Doc
goingmad

cd2-BONUS TRACKS:

1 SO YOUNG b-side
2 THE STORM b-side
4 IM'GONNA DRIVE b-side
6 HONEST MAN unrealesed

They could add the very rare live renditions of
Brand New Car + Moon Is Up from 99 (Shepherd's Bush show)

The DVD could be the NYC concert that was sold on VHS at european venues in 95

You're right, I want this cd!!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 3, 2008 15:35

goingmad

CD1-Voodoo Lounge

cd2-BONUS TRACKS:

1 SO YOUNG b-side
2 THE STORM b-side
4 IM'GONNA DRIVE b-side
6 HONEST MAN unrealesed

DVD (Voodoo lounge dvd) + videos (love is strong, i go wild, out of tears, you got me rocking)

I'd like to think there would be 'finished' versions of those unreleased songs somewhere, because with the exception of #6, the circulating versions of them - whilst they have some 'curiosity' appeal - simply arent worthy of release.

Expectations should be higher than just padding out old albums with already circulating rough studio run throughs that dont warrant repeated listening.

Date: September 3, 2008 15:49

Gazza
tatters
maumau
if i understand thi "deluxe edition" project from Universal it is not a re-release of the whole catalogue of any artist in a deleuxe format. If this happens for the Stones (which i hope of course) it is going to be an astounding exception.

Right. Not even the Who (a far more historic band than Sonic Youth), which began releasing Deluxe editions a DECADE ago, has had ALL their albums "deluxed". There are STILL no Deluxe editions of Quick One, Sell Out, Quadrophenia, Who By Numbers, Who Are You, Face Dances or It's Hard. The idea of the Stones having their ENTIRE post-Decca catalog "deluxed" is beyond preposterous.

There were expanded reissues of most of those albums however....

Yes, and in the case of Live At Leeds and Who's Next, there were single-disc expanded editions that were followed a few years later by 2-CD Deluxe releases. Assuming that Universal's master plan is to get us to buy our favourite albums as many times as possible, I think there's a good chance we may see single-disc expanded editions of the most popular Stones titles, followed a few YEARS later by the 2-CD Deluxe versions.

A die-hard Stones fan will buy Sticky Fingers and Exile over and over, so we'll probably get multiple versions of THOSE over the coming YEARS (not months). But the percentage of those die-hards who would also be willing to buy Steel Wheels over and over has got to be infinitesimal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-03 15:52 by tatters.

Date: September 3, 2008 16:03

georgelicks
VL sold 4 million copies in 1994 and 1.5 million copies in 1995. The album has sold 6 million by sure since it sold over 200k in US alone since 1996.

12m
Hot Rocks

10m
Some Girls

7-8m
Forty Licks
Tattoo You
Sticky Fingers

Thanks georgelicks. Hard to believe VL has sold more than Exile. Still, I'll bet that a Deluxe Exile would still FAR out-sell a Deluxe VL for the simple reason that the kind of hardcore Stones fan who would buy Deluxe CDs would KNOW that Exile is one of the greatest albums of all time, and would consider it to be a "must have", while VL is not even one of the greatest albums of 1994, and would consider it something they might someday get around to, or not.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 3, 2008 16:31

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-09 19:40 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: September 3, 2008 17:46

UrbanSteel
Some Girls deluxe edition

CD 1 Some Girls

CD 2 Alternate Tracks ;

The Rolling Stones , Some “Alternate” Girls

01 Miss You IV , Extended Version( 8:46 )
02 When The Whip Comes Down III , Extended Version ( 6:15 )
03 Just My Imagination II , Extended Version ( 6:44 )
04 Some Girls , Extended Version ( 5:14 )
05 Lies , Extended Version ( 3:51 )
06 Far Away Eyes , Extended Version ( 5:19 )
07 Respectable , Extended Version ( 3:52 )
08 Everything’s Turning To Gold , Extended Version ( 4:30 )
09 Beast Of Burden II , Extended Version ( 5:18 ) *
10 Shattered IV , Short Version ( 2:43 ) *

* Official Released on 8-track tape of “Some Girls” RSR/TP 39108 USA

Track 1/8 taken from Place Pigalle 5/6
Track 9/10 taken from More Sucking In The 70’s

I would think that we are much more likely to see a second disc containing a complete or mostly complete live show for deluxe editions of Some Girls, Exile and Goats Heas Soup for the simple reason that no live album was ever issued documenting those smoking hot tours supporting those records. Plus, these are arguably the most widely bootlegged tours and that would be a way for the band to recoup some of those lost dollars and pounds and euros and francs...

However, it would make a lot of sense to release a deluxe edition of Emotional Rescue and or Tattoo You loaded up with all of those late 70's rarities and unreleased tracks we know are floating around.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 3, 2008 17:51

I can see how Voodoo would have outsold Exile - Exile might be one of their best albums but that doesn't mean more people have it. Would you consider Back In Black to be AC/DC's best album? It is a good album but it's still not as good as Highway To Hell or TNT or Dirty Deeds - but it sure does sell a lot more.

And they've never released a double album to have it count as 2 records sold for each copy like Exile, Hot Rocks, etc...

I would get a deluxe issue of Undercover and Dirty Work - all of them. I would get all of them.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 3, 2008 22:38

Smokey
Gazza
Erik_Snow
Just got an inside-tip of the bonus tracks that will be included on "Rarities" - as a seperate CD-single....can't mention the source

Here's the info/sources

*DISC 2*
1. Saint Of Me (Deep Dish Grunge Remix) (Parts 1 & 2)
2. Rocks Off (Live 2003. This version is ONLY to be found on "Live Licks", untill now)
3. Rock And A Hard Place (Oh-Oh Hard Dub Mix - extremely rare!)
4. Crackin Up (from CLUB SHOW in Toronto 1977!)
5. Any Way You Look At It (NEVER RELEASED before, apart from on a rare out-of-print cd-single)
6. Beast Of Burden (Live 1981! This excellent live version can also be found on disc 1 of Rarities)
7. Far Away EYes (often overlooked rarity, that was the B-side for "Miss You" in 1978)
8. Thru & Thru (STUDIO version. DIFFERENT from the LIVE version on disc 1 of rarities!!)
9. Let It Rock (Leeds 1971 - presented in MONO here, for your pleasure)
10. Out Of Control (Live 1995, promotional version! - edited to 3:35 for this Rarities compilation)

Erik...you're one cynical little bastard at times..LOL

When I read the first post, that was my immediate thought. The B-sides and rarities "remastered" and lumped with the related album. Or for me not particularly interesting, the '03 and '06 versions of SF and EOMS songs being the deluxe discs for those albums.

But Jagger added Too Many Cooks and the Devils song to his recent solo compilation, so it seems he is willing to go back to the vaults. Of course, we already knew Too Many Cooks and the Devils stuff. So does this mean Criss Cross Man, Drift Away and perhaps Brussels will accompany GHS and the stuff we don't know about will still be part of the bequest to the band's offspring?

As some person-I-wish-we-could-forget said, there are knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns. If they put only "knowns" in the deluxe editions, that would be disappointing for me. If they added some known unknowns (as I believe was done for the Criterion Gimme Shelter release) to the deluxe editions, that would be wonderful. I still am hoping for unknown unknowns in the deluxe editions, but am not placing any bets. The wish list can be a separate thread.

And by the way, where do L&G and CB fit into all of this? I presume Universal did not buy the rights to those.

I'm sure somebody here has written the same as I'm going to, allready....I can't remember all of the posts here.
BUT; I'm quite certain that Rolling Stones won't include any "outtake gems"....like "Travelling Man", "Shame Shame Shame" or "I Need You"....nor any "uncirculated studio/live recordings". Such material would need overdubbing to make it release-worthy - and they probably wouldn't go through the hassle of checking their vaults out, like that. IF there's any songs/shows released on these "remasters" that's not available officially allready - it will probably be KBFH broadcasts or 7" mixes, I think. Of course, the completely finsihed "Let's Go Steady" or "Drift Away" COULD be a possibility...but that's as far as they'll take it. Songs like that can be compared to "Too Many Cooks" and the Red Devil outtake on Jaggers Best Of release....they are one of the very few.

Outtakes and concert-recordings that WE love...they are not up to par with what the Rolling Stones nor the critics would appreciate. I mean, just an album like the official Emotional Rescue....it's fully finished and polised. Yet, I'll bet Jagger never even listens to it - and the critics don't even bother mentioning it when writing about the history of the Rolling Stones. Then...imagine a bootleg album like "Nasty Habits" or "Lonely At The Top" being reviewed...! "A bunch of rehearsals"...they'd say.

If Rolling Stones had the time and guts to listen through concerts and studio-takes; in their own basement while having a great time - they might choose some material that's even new to us, and release it....because they simply KNOW that this is real cooking stuff. But I can't picture Rolling-Stones-business to happen like that anymore.
These days, contracts like this one with Universal Records, is business....and a business or a deal doesn't mean that there will be any sparks in the band to light the firecamp of us hardcore-fans.... it's Joe Bloggs that makes the business-wheel go round, not us who are genuinely interested in the band. The RS business organization probably think they have us in the palm of their hand allready, when we buy 100 dollars worth memberships just to buy an overpriced ticket....and wait for the DVD that never show up.....(not saying that those who did just that are stupid....I did so myself)

It wouldn't surprise me if the "bonus material" on the forthcoming CDs was a "ticket"....."collect 10 of these, send them to RS.COM, and recieve a free cap + a merchandise catalogue"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-03 23:30 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 3, 2008 22:44

@Erik_snow
Maybe, but Ronnie did put out two really great Barbarians concerts.
So a miracle might happen. And that's what I'm hoping for.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 3, 2008 22:55

Whale
@Erik_snow
Maybe, but Ronnie did put out two really great Barbarians concerts.
So a miracle might happen. And that's what I'm hoping for.

Yes, but Ronnie Wood can act a lot more freely in his business (and persona life) than "The Rolling Stones Organization". He knows that only the hardcore fans is looking his way (unfortunately...as he has made plenty of excellent solo albums himself)

Also...even though those RW releases were great...they were available in the same quality on bootleg. In fact, those 2 shows are the MOST famous Ron Wood/New Barbarians bootlegs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-03 23:07 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 4, 2008 00:51

tatters
georgelicks

12m
Hot Rocks

10m
Some Girls

7-8m
Forty Licks
Tattoo You
Sticky Fingers

Thanks georgelicks. Hard to believe VL has sold more than Exile. Still, I'll bet that a Deluxe Exile would still FAR out-sell a Deluxe VL for the simple reason that the kind of hardcore Stones fan who would buy Deluxe CDs would KNOW that Exile is one of the greatest albums of all time, and would consider it to be a "must have", while VL is not even one of the greatest albums of 1994, and would consider it something they might someday get around to, or not.

V.L. is one of the greatest albums of 1994.Thru & Thru is one of the best songs of 1994 and it's not alone,either.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 4, 2008 00:53

I'm 100% with Winning Ugly on Voodoo!

Date: September 4, 2008 01:25

I'm also 100% with Winning Ugly VXII (who is also known as the "Michael Brauer Mix"?) and copycat Lorenz re VL.
I notice our esteemed curators at IORR, in compiling the Deluxe edition of Voodoo, skip the alternate mix of "I Go Wild" (by Scott Litt) in favor of the acceptable-if-hardly-thrilling live version from the same IGW single...The Litt mix is longer, has different guitar parts and is quite good - a worthy version that shouldn't fall through the crack. I do LOVE the single mix of "Storm" (is it the Stones playing IN MY ROOM or only Memorex????)...But a longer alternate would be most welcome...
Some 'second tier' (sales-wize) albums would not perhaps need double-CD treatment...Undercover would offer "Think Im Going Mad" - whoever chose Indian Gurl instead, with "We Had It All" & much else at their disposal, condemned the ER elpee to 'minor'Stones status. Not that "She could be the Alien!...Perhaps a librarian" is Mick's greatest couplet, but the grooves make up for such sins. "U" would also offer the killer 12-inch "Undercover"/"Feel On Baby (Dub)" and the long She Was Hot. Sticky would finally house the alternate "Sway", CS Blues (I heard the "F" word on TV last night - I'm as tolerant as the next state pol but something must be done to reign in the onslaught of Toilet talk, beamed directly into American homes.). AND YO, WHERE's THE 45 "All Down The Line" and why its Supression??? The People have been DEMANDING this version for decades, and many have died or simply given up, having lost hope of owning a clean-sounding version in our lifetimes....

Date: September 4, 2008 01:34

John, don't forget the alt. mix from Happy (45) (for Exile 2009)

Those things are the easy ones to do.

Never mind the real work they should be doing.(preparing and releasing unreleased material)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-04 01:36 by barbabang.

Date: September 4, 2008 01:52

I agree barbabang, trying to keep my composure and expectations in check, so as to avoid indignation & disappointment once these albums are released.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 4, 2008 03:57

I think, as far as songs that we've heard as 'unfinished' - we truly don't know if they were ever finished. Seeing that they would do playbacks of previous sessions for current sessions, there is no telling what they (most likely Mick) would have decided to say 'I think we can finish this tune' or whatever.

So I am hopeful that there really are finished unreleased tunes - a plethora of them - available.

I'm not sure anyone here knows for sure. That is why I say that - we won't know until they come out - ever, if not ever.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 4, 2008 04:36

As far as "rarities"(if included) I like so many others hope they are REALLY rarities! Even some we've already heard on boot would be nice if in "legit" quality. Hopefully not rarities like the cd of the same name which was a load other than an improved "Through The Lonely Nights". Rarities my buttocks!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2312
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home