Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 31, 2008 23:39

HighwireC
Gazza
If we're getting an extra disc of material as suggested, then they'll definitely have my cash for each of them. Anything less than that, I'll just be downloading the extras from i tunes.

Hi Gazza,

I'm told, there will be some double discs, may be some triple one, some comes with outtakes and b-sides, some with a DVD (video), too.

So, let's sit and wait ...

My nipples have just exploded.....

The question is, though - if this is the case, have the Stones appointed someone to oversee all of this? I cant imagine Jagger being too fussed on ploughing through old tape boxes and listening to 30 year old outtakes.

They only will have one shot at getting this right. I only hope they're not entrusting it to the geniuses who brought us the abortion that Rarities was.

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 31, 2008 23:41

I so want that job....

Date: August 31, 2008 23:49

You and me both, mein brudder.

Date: August 31, 2008 23:53

And you would actually be qualified to do it!

I really hope this project will see the light of the day, I'm getting seriously excited about it.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 1, 2008 04:47

well its about time for the stones to realize they need to go down this route

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 1, 2008 15:30

Gazza
My nipples have just exploded.....

Less talk, more pics..... grinning smiley

I hope that Highwire, Stone-Relics and Ville are right. It sounds awesome.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 1, 2008 15:39

mickijaggeroo
Guess the next tour will be named the "Deluxe World Tour" smiling smiley

In that case, here's hoping that they take the title literally and ;

1) each show features an extra 10 songs compared to the shows on the last tour
2) we get lots of songs we've never heard before, and
3) the sound is better

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 1, 2008 16:48

Gazza
mickijaggeroo

3) the sound is better

And

4) we end the night with Gazza's exploding nipples

Date: September 1, 2008 16:56

I am unfortunately a person that always has to think in pictures. Please, let's stop talking about Gazza's exploding nipples now :-s The whole thing sounds like something from a Southpark episode...lol

Date: September 1, 2008 17:00

Lorenz
The whole thing sounds like something from a Southpark episode...lol

Oh my god, they killed Gazza!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-01 17:01 by camper88.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 1, 2008 17:29

If this happens the Stones would surprise me at least one more time!

But- after all these years- I can't believe it.

Date: September 1, 2008 17:44

camper88
Lorenz
The whole thing sounds like something from a Southpark episode...lol

Oh my god, they killed Gazza!!

"You shower of bastards!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-01 17:45 by Gazza.

Date: September 1, 2008 18:04

really hate to say this, but i think its just gonna be universals version of remasters, bummer

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 1, 2008 18:11

melillo
really hate to say this, but i think its just gonna be universals version of remasters, bummer

Don't really think so, as that in itself will not make enough money. there will be bonus material I think, the question is : will it be like rarities (no effort, and nothing new) or will it be good (like other artists versions), and maybe even better? I hope highwire is in the right direction!

Date: September 1, 2008 18:13

Paying an eight figure fee to sign a band in their mid 60s who have made 4 albums in 22 years and whose studio albums dont sell anywhere like they did 10 or 20 years ago to a long term contract - and then just repackaging their old albums for the 3rd time on cd in two decades - with no added material - in an era where record sales are at an all time low?

That doesnt sound like the brightest financial move to me.

I would be amazed if Universal were stupid enough to throw that kind of money at a band like the Stones at this stage in their career without making some kind of demands re: archive material as a way of getting a return on their investment.

A straight repackage of what Virgin did 15 years ago would have next to zero sales potential.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-01 18:14 by Gazza.

Date: September 1, 2008 18:17

I agree but i never get my hopes up with the stones as far as bonus material, rarities was a complete let down, again i hope i am way off on this one and they come through big time for us, what about a 1978 cd/dvd of never before seen or heard sounboard slash pro shot, now that would get me going, i know that wouldnt be the first release but it was just an example

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-01 18:22 by melillo.

Date: September 1, 2008 18:28

Rarities was something of a filler at the very end of a contract though - and a venture which the Stones probably had little or nothing to do with. Its the redheaded stepchild of Stones releases.

Its something of a different ballgame when it comes to working with a new label, especially when there's a few million dollars of an advance involved.

Universal will be very anxious to recoup a sizeable amount of that money, and anyone with a modicum of grey matter is going to realise that a straight and unimaginative reissue of the 1994 repackages with a few tweaks isn't going to cut the mustard.

I was unaware of the label's past record of such 'deluxe reissues' with other artists, but the posts earlier in this thread by those who have cited examples of them would suggest that there are enough people in charge at Universal with sufficient commonsense to have insisted that the Stones wont be getting too much dosh from them unless they have a bit more imagination when it comes to repackaging their back catalogue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-01 18:29 by Gazza.

Date: September 1, 2008 18:29

cool, sounds promising

Date: September 1, 2008 18:39

yeah but how does MR KLEIN figure in all this?

Date: September 1, 2008 18:43

he doesnt. its got nothing to do with ABKCO.

Date: September 1, 2008 18:45

and how exactly does one cut mustard?

Date: September 1, 2008 18:51

Gazza
he doesnt. its got nothing to do with ABKCO.

great!!!!!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 1, 2008 18:54

ABKCO is a bad dream, best thing will be if they part with their rights.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 1, 2008 18:59

But who´s gonna buy 19 deluxe editions of Rolling Stones Records ?

I think they will finish maybe three (probably not DW) and put them out
in a row of three or four months.

To test and push SF,EOMS and a Live album.And if it´s not a bargain,nothing
will follow - 19 deluxe editions less than an assumed amount of people(not
counting us 9 or 34 Hardcores)have bought?

Forget about the rest - if there´s no money in it,they won´t continue.

So what to do in the marketing department?
Don´t know,it´s not my job,but they can only try to get it as brilliant as it could
be when releasing it,as Gazza (with his nipples) said earlier:

They only have one shot...

Let´s hope the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-01 19:05 by shortfatfanny.

Date: September 1, 2008 19:00

camper88
and how exactly does one cut mustard?

with one hand over one's nose

Date: September 1, 2008 19:03

shortfatfanny
But who´s gonna buy 19 deluxe editions of Rolling Stones Records ?

Well, didnt ABCKO release 22 of their 60's albums simultaneously in 2002?

And that was without bonus material.

they could do it if (as was the acse with ABKCO) it coincided with an event when they were high profile (ie, just before the Licks tour).

However, your suggestion of 'staggered' releases sounds more feasible.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 1, 2008 19:08

camper88
Gazza
mickijaggeroo

3) the sound is better

And

I´m laughing so hard, just visualizing this!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 1, 2008 20:30

drewmaster
I'm curious if you think that the Virgins sound as good as the 2002 ABKCO remasters?

For me, the ABKCO remasters make Beggar's Banquet etc SO much more pleasurable to listen to, and they make the Virgins pale (no pun intended) by comparison.

Cheers,
Drew

do you understand you're comparing apples to oranges here, drew? How can you say the Virgins don't sound as "good" as the 2002 Abkcos, when they're a totally different set of recordings, from different eras?

I just don't know how much better Sticky Fingers, Exile, GHS, or IORR can sound... all of these recordings have problems going back to the studios. Black and Blue and Some Girls are different stories...

Date: September 1, 2008 21:29

mickijaggeroo
camper88
Gazza
mickijaggeroo

3) the sound is better

And

I´m laughing so hard, just visualizing this!

You think thats good? If we get shows like I've described above, I'll personally turn up at them with tassles on my exploding nipples, riding a unicycle and wearing a tutu.....

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 1, 2008 21:33

Date: September 1, 2008 18:28
Rarities was something of a filler at the very end of a contract though - and a venture which the Stones probably had little or nothing to do with. Its the redheaded stepchild of Stones releases.

At least, Mick should know how to treat his step children... Generally spoken, most bands give something away to fulfill an expiring contract. It's o.k. in their minds but: Mr Average buys it without knowing that and thinks: What a bad record or rip-off. My band has nothing to say anymore! I don't even give the new one (on the new label...) a chance...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2321
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home