Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: September 1, 2008 21:39

shortfatfanny
But who´s gonna buy 19 deluxe editions of Rolling Stones Records ?

I think they will finish maybe three (probably not DW) and put them out
in a row of three or four months.

To test and push SF,EOMS and a Live album.And if it´s not a bargain,nothing
will follow - 19 deluxe editions less than an assumed amount of people(not
counting us 9 or 34 Hardcores)have bought?

Forget about the rest - if there´s no money in it,they won´t continue.

So what to do in the marketing department?
Don´t know,it´s not my job,but they can only try to get it as brilliant as it could
be when releasing it,as Gazza (with his nipples) said earlier:

They only have one shot...

Let´s hope the best.

Obviously, I doubt their will be big demand for say a Dirty Work or Undercover deluxe edition loaded up with a bunch of dance remixes and a few outtakes. However I do believe something like a three disc box set for Some Girls and or Exile with a remastered studio disc plus a killer live album and concert DVD would result in a marketplace detonation along the lines of the Zeppelin How The West Was Won album / the Zeppelin DVD.

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 1, 2008 21:46

quote]

Obviously, I doubt their will be big demand for say a Dirty Work or Undercover deluxe edition loaded up with a bunch of dance remixes and a few outtakes. However I do believe something like a three disc box set for Some Girls and or Exile with a remastered studio disc plus a killer live album and concert DVD would result in a marketplace detonation along the lines of the Zeppelin How The West Was Won album / the Zeppelin DVD.[/quote]

Huh? Undercover rocks!
And Dirty work might turn out to be a killer of an album,if it gets "deluxed"!
My point is that you can´t predict sales on what you like, or don´t like.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: September 1, 2008 22:00

Is it about time to bring out a 3 cd boxset whit all singles a+b's, from 1971 The Rolling Stones Record Years . like the london years . 1971-2006 .

35 years all single's on 3 cd's . hot smiley

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 1, 2008 22:01

I think you can't compare any Stones re-release with the Beatles or Led Zeppelin. Both bands are dead since decades. Therefore, they can throw up/out any rubbish or repackage anything they like with success. You must buy because it's the last Rembrandt for sale/the only James Dean on DVD whereas the Stones as a living band have to be aware what they put on sale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-01 22:21 by JJHMick.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 1, 2008 22:24

if Universal signed with them (for how much ??? ...) this is mainly for the catalog and not the future releases. This is so obvious but I have to mention it.
So the question is : what is the marketing business plan to sell all these very old records ? who care about songs aired on radios everyday that people know so well ? who needs Stones records (they do not sell well they are a live band).
So the reissues need to be attractive. On a technical aspect, the sound and artistically with outtakes, live versions etc..
That would be a financial mess otherwise.
Now it requires the band (CW, MJ, KR) to work seriously too on it.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 1, 2008 22:38

I'm getting all excited about this speculation.
Just think about what we could have.
I'm going to spend a fortune if this happens.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 1, 2008 22:46

Whale
I'm going to spend a fortune if this happens.
I would spend a fortune too. I remember, I went to my retail chain when the London records were re-released and said: Hey, I'm going to buy (14 or something like that) a lot of different records by the same band out of the same series you advertised. Can I get a special prize though it's not 14 copies of the same record? During the next ten minutes he had a prayer (or probably a phone call with his boss in the main office) and my dream came true.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 1, 2008 23:45

examples of deluxe by Universal
[www.hmv.co.jp]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 2, 2008 01:14

mickijaggeroo
quote]

Obviously, I doubt their will be big demand for say a Dirty Work or Undercover deluxe edition loaded up with a bunch of dance remixes and a few outtakes. However I do believe something like a three disc box set for Some Girls and or Exile with a remastered studio disc plus a killer live album and concert DVD would result in a marketplace detonation along the lines of the Zeppelin How The West Was Won album / the Zeppelin DVD.

Huh? Undercover rocks!
And Dirty work might turn out to be a killer of an album,if it gets "deluxed"!
My point is that you can´t predict sales on what you like, or don´t like.[/quote]

You CAN predict sales of Deluxe editions based on what the sales of the original albums were. The ones that sold the best will be the ones that get the Deluxe treatment first. I think it's possible that we MIGHT see Deluxe editions of Sticky Fingers, Exile, Some Girls, and MAYBE Tatoo You released in time for the 2009 tour. If THOSE don't sell well, then it will be obvious to those concerned that NONE of the others will sell either, and, as a result, they probably would never be released.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 2, 2008 01:15

Even if they put some bonus songs on those CD
's it will propably be obvious choices like one or two B-sides, etc.
No really interesting stuff.

And if they would plan to bring out new reworked sound versions we should already have heard about someone working in studios on them.

More than 40 years with the boys have made me kind of pessimistic.
But I still hope Gazza and others are right with their assumption about Universals approach.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 2, 2008 01:21

it all depends on the bonus stuff for me, otherwise forget it

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 2, 2008 01:43

Yeah! Same with me!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 2, 2008 09:20

I have had a thought concerning the upcoming 'Deluxe Edition' releases.

They are usually reserved for those albums which have gained 'classic status'. Exile, Sticky Fingers, some Girls etc are all acclaimed, though many of the other albums mentioned, are not. I really cannot envisage a deluxe Stripped for instance.

Begining to have my doubts over what exactly to expect.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 2, 2008 10:01

Big Al
... I really cannot envisage a deluxe Stripped for instance.

quote]

Why not?

Stripped + tracks from Stripped Companion and Hope Floats + Stripped video, that would be a nice Deluxe Edition [CD + DVD], in my thoughts ...

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: September 2, 2008 10:52

Gazza
Rarities was something of a filler at the very end of a contract though - and a venture which the Stones probably had little or nothing to do with. Its the redheaded stepchild of Stones releases.

Its something of a different ballgame when it comes to working with a new label, especially when there's a few million dollars of an advance involved.

Universal will be very anxious to recoup a sizeable amount of that money, and anyone with a modicum of grey matter is going to realise that a straight and unimaginative reissue of the 1994 repackages with a few tweaks isn't going to cut the mustard.

I was unaware of the label's past record of such 'deluxe reissues' with other artists, but the posts earlier in this thread by those who have cited examples of them would suggest that there are enough people in charge at Universal with sufficient commonsense to have insisted that the Stones wont be getting too much dosh from them unless they have a bit more imagination when it comes to repackaging their back catalogue.

can we just go back a minute......the red headed step child of Stone releases???? please explain .......for those of us who happen to be red headed and who are stepchildren, I think we deserve an explanation.

I think you've got some explaining to do

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: September 2, 2008 14:40

So what possible track listings could we expect.For an album like DW,what ottakes were there if any?Flashpoint would have heaps as SG would too.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 2, 2008 15:13

Looks like the Beatles might beat the Stones in getting deluxe editions to the market ... Here is a post from [www.stevehoffman.tv]

"Yes, it´s definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn´t happy with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them all redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the other UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to my source, who´s got friends working at Apple, most albums will be released as double CD´s with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs) and a Deluxe edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have lavish packaging. A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"

This could be hot air, but who knows????!

Drew

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 2, 2008 15:19

Hansel
So what possible track listings could we expect.For an album like DW,what ottakes were there if any?Flashpoint would have heaps as SG would too.

i am not an expert but i think that DW has a good amount of outtakes

anyway I think that really only the Classics will have the treatment and it will not be an "academic" or philological operation. They (Universal in primis) want to make money out of it! So I think that albums like DW or Undercover will not get a deluxe edition BUT in the event that the Classics sell really really well

just an opinion

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 2, 2008 15:24

>> i think that DW has a good amount of outtakes <<

DW indeed has a whole bunch of very fine outtakes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-02 16:16 by with sssoul.

Date: September 2, 2008 15:47

with sssoul

DW indeed has a whole bunch of of very fine outtakes

Yes, but how many people LOVE DW enough to spend $30 on a deluxe edition? A couple thousand? Is that enough to justify the time and expense of putting it together? I just don't see that there would be that much interest in deluxe editions of ANY Stones album post-Tatoo You.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 2, 2008 16:22

tatters
with sssoul

Yes, but how many people LOVE DW enough to spend $30 on a deluxe edition? A couple thousand? Is that enough to justify the time and expense of putting it together? I just don't see that there would be that much interest in deluxe editions of ANY Stones album post-Tatoo You.

Some fans like this, some other that. We know those battles.

Universal has put a lot of money in this contract, they will remaster all albums, to release them as Deluxe Edition, one after the other.

At the end, we'll get some "50 Deluxe Edition Set" (incl. the 23 ABKCO ones) to celebrate "The Rolling Stones 50s Anniversary" in 2012, the very olympic year ... ;-)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 2, 2008 16:23

>> Yes, but <<

smile: i was merely answering a question about DW outtakes,
not commenting on what i think Universal may or may not consider worth releasing.
we'll find out.

Date: September 2, 2008 16:30

HighwireC
tatters
with sssoul

Some fans like this, some other that. We know those battles.

Universal has put a lot of money in this contract, they will remaster all albums, to release them as Deluxe Edition, one after the other.

At the end, we'll get some "50 Deluxe Edition Set" (incl. the 23 ABKCO ones) to celebrate "The Rolling Stones 50s Anniversary" in 2012, the very olympic year ... ;-)

If the first couple don't sell, there won't be any more. They don't want to end up with a warehouse full of unsold Undercover Deluxe Edition CDs.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 2, 2008 16:30

if i understand this "deluxe edition" project from Universal, it is not a re-release of the whole catalogue of any artist in a deleuxe format. If this happens for the Stones (which i hope of course) it is going to be an astounding exception

take another historic band for example: sonic youth
if i am correct they got 3 albums in that format: daydream nation, goo and dirty
and they included vynil versions of those!
which means a blend between critically acclaimed and popular (something like Exile, Sticky and Tattoo for the stones)

This is for example what the Goo's vinyl deluxe edition contains:

"The 4xLP set includes 31 songs featuring the original album remastered and remixed/remastered versions of the band's 8-track demos. Additional songs included are: the album out-take 'Lee #2' (previously unheard with vocals); rehearsal out-takes 'Tuff Boyz' and 'Isaac'; 'Can Song' (a never-before-heard demo of 'The Bedroom'); plus Beach Boys cover 'I Know There's an Answer'; 'Dr. Benway's House'- the band's contribution to William Burroughs' 'Dead City Radio' LP; the b-sides 'The Bedroom' and 'That's All I Know Right Now' (a cover of the Richard Hell/Tom Verlaine pre-Television group Neon Boys); and the promotion-only Goo Interview Flexidisk. A 24 page full-color booklet (16 pages in the LP edition) is included with an interview-essay by Byron Coley, an essay by Mark Kates and never before seen photos."

Though I think SY as a band is more "tuned" than the stones to the perspective of the fanbase I think we can expect a product like this but just for 4 or 5 albums at best. I think we really can forget a deluxe of Undercover or DW...

The outtakes or bsides of those other albums are more likely to be part of a future project (if there will ever be one of the kind) to release the archive things

First they (re)sell us the big ones deluxed then they come up with a deluxed edition of bsides and outtakes (that is a "real" rarities)

As an option we can have the "secondary" albums in a 5.1 sound format as a deluxe package (like some Talking heads rerelease if i remember)
Which is not very appealing to me actually

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-02 16:36 by maumau.

Date: September 2, 2008 16:39

maumau
if i understand thi "deluxe edition" project from Universal it is not a re-release of the whole catalogue of any artist in a deleuxe format. If this happens for the Stones (which i hope of course) it is going to be an astounding exception.

Right. Not even the Who (a far more historic band than Sonic Youth), which began releasing Deluxe editions a DECADE ago, has had ALL their albums "deluxed". There are STILL no Deluxe editions of Quick One, Sell Out, Quadrophenia, Who By Numbers, Who Are You, Face Dances or It's Hard. The idea of the Stones having their ENTIRE post-Decca catalog "deluxed" is beyond preposterous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-02 16:44 by tatters.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: September 2, 2008 18:14

tatters
maumau
if i understand thi "deluxe edition" project from Universal it is not a re-release of the whole catalogue of any artist in a deleuxe format. If this happens for the Stones (which i hope of course) it is going to be an astounding exception.

Right. Not even the Who (a far more historic band than Sonic Youth), which began releasing Deluxe editions a DECADE ago, has had ALL their albums "deluxed". There are STILL no Deluxe editions of Quick One, Sell Out, Quadrophenia, Who By Numbers, Who Are You, Face Dances or It's Hard. The idea of the Stones having their ENTIRE post-Decca catalog "deluxed" is beyond preposterous.

A few more thoughts:

1) It is certainly true that the Universal Deluxe Edition approach has been to remaster and add a second disc containing a killer concert from the era or a load of outtakes. It would make a lot of sense for them to follow this path with Exile, Some Girls, Sticky Fingers and maybe a few others.

2) Another fairly common approach that other record companies have taken is to top off the remasetered single disc with a few outtakes and the odd live cut. I am thinking of Bowie, Who (see Face Dances) and Elvis Costello re-release programs here. It would make sense to see Dirty Work and Undercover handled in this manner. The idea here is that they are going to keep the records 'In Print" even if they are not the biggest sellers in the catalog so they will go to a little extra effort to make them more attractive to re-purchase without making them too pricey for the casual collector or first time buyer.

3) The odd thing about this whole conversation was the long (but oddly not complete) list of albums supposedly slated for Universal Deluxe Edition treatment in the original website post. This makes me think that either the whole thing is off base (compounded by the fact that we have not seen anything remotely official published anywhere about this) or Universal is indeed treatintg the Stones differently than everyone else which would be pretty cool.

4) However it works out, I agree that it is far more likely that we will see lavishly packaged re-releases of the key records long before we see Deluxe Editions of the lesser-selling catalog components.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 2, 2008 19:19

I wonder, since it sold so well, could you consider Voodoo Lounge a modern day classic?? There's certainly enough for a second disc of outtakes, albeit all already owned.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 2, 2008 19:38

a friend of mine who has the U2 deluxe versions said that he already had all of the extras or bonus material on all of them, so for what ever that info is worth
we will see

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: September 2, 2008 20:04

melillo
a friend of mine who has the U2 deluxe versions said that he already had all of the extras or bonus material on all of them, so for what ever that info is worth
we will see

And here you can see that in Ireland, where U2 would have the most fervent of fans, the re-issues sold sod all.

In these times, you need to really give the punters value to make deluxe editions sell...

[www.irishtimes.com]

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 3, 2008 00:42

These deluxe editions really vary in quality. All the 'majors' w/ deep catalog are doing it. You can get Carole King's Tapestry with a 2nd disc a live show recorded around the time the album came out. Cream's Disreali Gears (stereo/mono + BBC etc) package felt thin. All the marvin Gaye deluxe editions are cool if overpriced. A couple Wailers DE's are essential, especially "Catch A Fire", others have so-so live material on 2nd disc.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home